Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss SLR  (Read 3312 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Zeiss SLR
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:30:24 pm »

I have a Zeiss Icon SLR. It was my father's and probably dates from late 50's or early 60's. Somewhere in my memory is the word Contaflex, but I don't see it on the camera itself. It has a 50/2.8 lens, with a removable front element and a leaf shutter. I seem to recall that there was an 85mm as well, but that has disappeared. There's a built-in light meter. The mirror is not auto-return, so the viewfinder goes black when a shot is taken until the shutter is re-cocked. It's in beautiful condition, having spent its life in a hard leather case. I probably last used it about 40 years ago: it followed my Kodak Instamatic as my introduction to photography, before I acquired my own Minolta XE-1.

I am thinking of selling it. I've not posted this in the for sale board because I've not made up my mind; if it's not worth much, I'll probably just keep it.

Any thoughts? I can take some photos of it if that would help.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 02:33:53 pm by kikashi »

Richowens

Re: Zeiss SLR
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:40:29 pm »

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 05:00:32 pm »

Yep, that's a Contaflex. I have one, an S model with the supplementary lenses. No idea how much they're worth now but I can't imagine there's much demand.

This may help you identify which model you own: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/zicontaflexsh.htm

-Dave-

mbaginy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:13:09 am »

Those Zeiss models were finely crafted build like tanks.  The selenium cell meters will probably have died by now.  Also the Kodak Retina models (SLR and rangefinders) used wonderful Schneider lenses.

After an accident in the Alps, where I dropped my Leicaflex with three lenses off a cliff, I used my Retina Reflex III for a while and the Kodachrome slides I took easily compared with those from my Leicas.  Before the Kodak plant in Stuttgart, Germany closed, they offered to overhaul (almost) all cameras for a minimal amount (26 DM, if I recall) and I got my three Retina Reflexes cared for a nominal price.  (Kodak’s demise is a shame.)

Sadly, the Contaflexes and Retinas haven’t held their value and don’t command the high ebay prices that almost anything from Leica does.  Jeremy, if your Contaflex is in such good condition, I’d keep it for memory’s sake.  And who knows how the photo market will evolve?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 03:16:47 pm »

This may help you identify which model you own: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/zicontaflexsh.htm

Thanks for the link. It's a Super, Old Style.

Mike, it is beautifully built. It has a wonderful, crisp feel and the noise the shutter makes is delightful. The metering is within half a stop of my 5DII.

I think I'll keep it, for old times' sake.

Jeremy

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:07:38 pm »

...The metering is within half a stop of my 5DII.
Jeremy
Wow, functioning (and accurate!) light meter is great!

I miss the mechanics of many such old marvels.  My Leicaflex is build like a brick.  It also weighs about as much. :-\

Jimbo57

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 05:25:04 am »

Sadly, the Contaflexes and Retinas haven’t held their value ......  Jeremy, if your Contaflex is in such good condition, I’d keep it for memory’s sake.  And who knows how the photo market will evolve?

Yep. Sadly cameras like this normally sell for about £5 at car boot sales. The memory must be worth more than that.

aragdog

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 12:09:15 pm »

I sold all of my old Contax stuff, and then sold a number of lenses.  All I can say is that they lenses and their prices held up very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up