Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: July skies  (Read 3949 times)

sdwilsonsct

July skies
« on: July 17, 2015, 05:38:29 pm »

Feedback welcome.

I spent last week in the Rockies, driving a thousand miles, walking 60, spending money on gas and travel and fancy lightweight gear. Photographic results: not so great. The attached images are all from one evening, a mile from home.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: July skies
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:02:55 pm »

I like the first and last. The middle one is a nice example of clouds but the foreground looks like it was pushed too hard and that kills the detail.

The other ones have much more interesting foregrounds. I especially like the tractor in the grass. Are these HDR? They have that look but it might just be how you managed your shadow areas in processing.
-MattB

Mike Brown

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 06:23:23 pm »

I think my favourite is the first. I find it quite interesting having the road lined up centre with the change in cloud lighting.

I would be interested in seeing it with more of the top cropped off. Perhaps that just speaks to my love of wide panoramic aspect ratios though.

Mike Brown       
Flickrstream

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:28:36 pm »

... a mile from home.

It is said that most car accidents happen a few miles from home. What that has to do with your photos? I have no idea, it is just something that crossed my wandering mind :)

Beautiful photographs, all three.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:42:28 pm »

Thanks for the comments.
Matt - not sure what "pushed" means here, but I think the foreground would be more realistic if it was lighter. The tractor shot is HDR, and the tractor could be darker.
Mike, I do have tighter shots of the bright front, but am a sucker for context and all that surrounding structure.
Slobodan: thanks. Most accidents happen at home, so perhaps we can expect some successes there too?

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 03:54:10 pm »

I like them all, but the tractor shot is especially nice.

Arlen

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 08:38:15 pm »

Too bad about the Rockies trip, Scott, but you've captured some beautiful scenes right in your own neighborhood. I think the one with tractor looks quite stunning when the overall exposure is brought down a bit, and the foreground just a bit more, to move towards a little more of the natural balance that one expects from backlighting.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 04:39:23 am »

All three are good, but I particularly love the sky in the second; I think I'd crop off a bit of the uninteresting foreground, though.

Jeremy

pollarda

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:43:37 pm »

I think the first one is excellent.  You may want to try a black and white treatment too, I think the first (and perhaps last) have great potential as B&W as well as color.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 08:44:02 pm »

Thanks for the comments.
Matt - not sure what "pushed" means here, but I think the foreground would be more realistic if it was lighter. The tractor shot is HDR, and the tractor could be darker.
Mike, I do have tighter shots of the bright front, but am a sucker for context and all that surrounding structure.
Slobodan: thanks. Most accidents happen at home, so perhaps we can expect some successes there too?

I was thinking there was some aggressive shadow recovery going on and maybe not that much detail to get out of those shadows.
-MattB

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 08:58:49 pm »

This is the "world" in your back yard. No. 1 has perfect balance with the road headed to the wall in the clouds. It is striking.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 11:56:13 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I have added a couple of revisions to #1.

John -- I have many of this tractor but that night the stars aligned (in the form of clouds). Great stuff on your home page.
Arlen -- Yes. I have complaints about the grass seed heads being distracting, too.
Jeremy, Matt -- There isn't much detail in the foreground, a crop might help. It could be a little greener and brighter.
Pollarda -- a crunchy Reichman sky might work here, I'll see...
Larry -- that balance lasted just a few seconds, the front was miles away but moved very fast.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:40:02 am by sdwilsonsct »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:18:36 pm »

That works for me in monochrome.

Jeremy

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 04:08:32 pm »

That one is pretty great in color or B&W, but I'm starting to lean toward B&W now.
-MattB

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 09:04:01 am »

Wonderful shots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up