Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Pro - replacement for my early 2008 with 20GB RAM?  (Read 5587 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Mac Pro - replacement for my early 2008 with 20GB RAM?
« on: July 11, 2015, 09:42:45 pm »

Hi Folks,

I just purchased a 2016 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour.  Starting to equip it for photography trips that will be of several months duration, possibly a full year or more.
For those not familiar with the Grand Tour, it is a Mercedes Sprinter based conversion camper that's about 24' 6" LOA - diesel motor that gets 18 mpg +.
http://www.airstream.com/touring-coaches/grand-tour-ext/

Now, it has a drivers seat that you can swing around 180 degrees and have a small, but adequate, surface to put down a keyboard and small tablet!
On the wall in front is a monitor with HDMI input that would be fine for on the road editing of images.

Now, I own a trusty but heavy and bulky Mac Pro, Early 2008 that I purchased new back when; OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 with 20GB RAM and a 700MB Apple drive.  Also have 2.7 TB of HD in the extra drive slots.  Video is the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB.

My question:
Because of the size and bulk of the current Mac and the restricted living space I have in the Airstream, I'm giving some thought to updating to the new Mac Pro BUT not sure what would be the ideal configuration strictly for photography.  These are pricey Macs and I also own a 17" MacBook Pro which I could use, Proc 2.4 GHz, Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, Apple 750 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB  

Is it wiser to just sell of my 2008 Mac Pro and work on the road with the MacBook Pro - certainly a lot cheaper and what I'm thinking I should do.
To make that decision I'd like to hear from others that have made the move to the new Mac for photography, not video, as to their idea of a well equipped Mac.
From that I can calculate the actual cost/cash outlay and see if it's something to go with, selling off my 2008 to cover part of the cost.

Jack

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:56:23 pm by Lust4Life »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Mac Pro - replacement for my early 2008 with 20GB RAM?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:44:44 pm »

I'm giving some thought to updating to the new Mac Pro BUT not sure what would be the ideal configuration strictly for photography.

6 Core Seems to be the sweet spot.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Conner999

Re: Mac Pro - replacement for my early 2008 with 20GB RAM?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:10:10 am »

The processing grunt in a small new MacPro package would be nice and the 6 core does seem to get the most recommendations , but the drawback of any system in space-limited quarters is the number of discreet components and how much room they chew up - the CPU, screen, storage, backup storage, keyboard, stylus+tablet, plus bricks & cables for all, etc.

IF you can cut down on any of those discrete items by combining them...

I'd likely go with the MBP as you're leaning with some fast external primary & backup storage. A laptop would also be easier to tuck away when not in use.  Another option is a refurbed iMac if you want/need more RAM and/or a larger screen.   The MBP could even come along as a backup to the iMac or 'sitting in/by ____' sending emails unit.  Buy the iMac for the duration of the trip, sell when done.

Sounds like a great trip - enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:15:36 am by Conner999 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up