Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RM3di-Shading options  (Read 2951 times)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
RM3di-Shading options
« on: July 11, 2015, 07:22:27 pm »

Hi all,

This is directed at RM3di or Ld owners I suppose.
I want to set up a shading system so I can keep a flag over the lens when I'm shooting indoors from overhead potlights and also outdoors for the sun or streetlights during twilight shots.

I currently use a LEE Wide angle hood, but I'm hoping for something that makes it a little less fiddly to get to the copal shutter dials.

Attached is a sketch of what I'm wanting to do...

What have you guys done in the past to achieve this.
I looked up the Arca Swiss cold shoe mount...it's $100, so if anyone has an alternative to this, that'd be awesome.

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

sgilbert

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:37:44 pm by sgilbert »

gebseng

Re: RM3di-Shading options
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 03:35:02 am »

I have been looking for something similar for my Linhof Techno.

I have been using the Flarebuster for some time, but it's really flimsy and does not keep its position properly, so I can not recommend that.

You should also consider that you will need the option to position the shade for the sun coming from the side rather than from the top.

The Dinkum compact lens shade that sgilbert suggested looks quite promising, is anyone using that? The downside for me is probably the rather short 20cm arm, which might not allow positioning it for light coming from the right (on my Techno, at least).

best,

Gebhard
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:37:37 am by gebseng »

mjon

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 06:36:23 am »

I use a Manfrotto Hydro arm (819-1) with a Nano Clamp (386B) which takes the flag (they also sell it as a kit, Hydro Kit Small). Fully adjustable, doesn't move or flex. Not sure how to attach the arm directly to the RM3d but there should be a simple way. (I use it on an Alpa Max.)

mjon

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »

The Dinkum compact lens shade that sgilbert suggested looks quite promising, is anyone using that? The downside for me is probably the rather short 20cm arm, which might not allow positioning it for light coming from the right (on my Techno, at least).

I agree - looks great.  There's also a larger option.

Has anyone used these guys before?
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up