Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One File Conversion Workflow  (Read 4522 times)

Aronia

Capture One File Conversion Workflow
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:54:09 am »

Greetings,

INTRODUCTION:
- I am a landscape photographer seeking to produce up to 24" x 36" prints for gallery display.
- I want to establish my digital workflow for my NEF files imported into the latest version of Capture One Pro from my Nikon D810.

QUESTIONS:
- When should I convert my NEF files into another format for A) importing into other outside apps (e.g., Photomatix or LR/PS--for HDR merging), B) printing and C) archiving. Would you recommend TIFF, DNG, and which format is best for which stage in this three-part process?
- Regarding HDR, I'm assuming that Photomatix is the best application for high dynamic range creation but what about the latest iterations of Lightroom and Photoshop?
- What else might I need to consider?

Thanks for your assistance as I try to establish my workflow in this superb hobby.

AlterEgo

Re: Capture One File Conversion Workflow
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:01:20 am »

Greetings,

INTRODUCTION:
- I am a landscape photographer seeking to produce up to 24" x 36" prints for gallery display.
- I want to establish my digital workflow for my NEF files imported into the latest version of Capture One Pro from my Nikon D810.

QUESTIONS:
- When should I convert my NEF files into another format for A) importing into other outside apps (e.g., Photomatix or LR/PS--for HDR merging), B) printing and C) archiving. Would you recommend TIFF, DNG, and which format is best for which stage in this three-part process?
- Regarding HDR, I'm assuming that Photomatix is the best application for high dynamic range creation but what about the latest iterations of Lightroom and Photoshop?
- What else might I need to consider?

Thanks for your assistance as I try to establish my workflow in this superb hobby.

you want to archive your raw files in the manner the camera's firmware produced them - means .NEF and .NEF only (but nothing is wrong with archiving anything else __in addition__ to the originals if want so)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:03:08 am »

May I suggest you consider the Capture One tutorial available in the video section of this site.  The update for C1 8.x will be available soon.  Most of your questions will be answered in the videos.  I am finding that I am only going to HDR in rare instances anymore as the highlight and shadow recovery in C1 is extremely good.  Also, I take the RAWS directly into Photomatix right from C1.  Highlight the thumbnails you want to take into Photomatix and drag them to the app in the APP Bar.  They then open up and you convert right from the raw.  Otherwise I'd make a full res, 16bit ProPhoto tiff and then use those in Photomatix.   Hope that makes sense.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Aronia

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 01:45:16 pm »

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll surely check-out the video tutorials you referenced. I may have some more questions later but it's beginning to become clearer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up