Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is de-haze?  (Read 17765 times)

brianrybolt

Where is de-haze?
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:58:29 am »

I have the latest iteration of LR CC 2015 and I can not find "de-haze" anywhere in the Develop module.  I know where it would be (under effects) but it's not.  Suggestions Please.
Thanks in advance.

Brian

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Where is de-haze?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:03:34 am »

Dehaze is under effects as shown in the screen shot.

It's in Lightroom CC 2015.1.

brianrybolt

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:24:34 am »

Thank you Hans.  I knew where de-haze should have been but it wasn't.  Just finished talking with Adobe Support in New Delhi.  My CC application had a bug which was not allowing me to download the MOST current version of Lightroom CC.

Must praise Adobe support - they were very good and fast.

Brian

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:26:21 pm »

While I suppose there were good reasons to locate the Dehaze slider on the Effects panel, I wish Adobe would consider moving it to the "Basic" panel under the Presence sliders. That would make adjustments to tone and contrast associated with changes to Dehaze easier to do.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:47:06 pm »

While I suppose there were good reasons to locate the Dehaze slider on the Effects panel, I wish Adobe would consider moving it to the "Basic" panel under the Presence sliders. That would make adjustments to tone and contrast associated with changes to Dehaze easier to do.

Unlike the other sliders in Basic, it's not relevant to every type of photo. But you can make things easier for yourself by switching the panels to Solo mode so you don't have to do so much scrolling, and also by dragging on the histogram for some of the tonal adjustments.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 07:20:30 am »

What I would have liked even more was Dehaze as a local adjust slider as well. Oh, and we are at it, the HSL tool as well...

Stephane Desnault

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 08:21:46 am »

Well, thankfully, that's one of the reasons why LR is bundled with PS under the CC subscription... Create virtual copies, adjust dehaze and colors to your liking, and then "export as layers"...

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:04:15 am »

Well, thankfully, that's one of the reasons why LR is bundled with PS under the CC subscription... Create virtual copies, adjust dehaze and colors to your liking, and then "export as layers"...

Of course :) But I'd rather not break my workflow to go into PS if not needed.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 07:22:59 pm »

Actually De-Haze in its current form is actually pretty useless in my view. What would have been far preferable would have been to have De-Haze up under Clarity and have it available as a local adjustment or via a gradient adjustment.

Haze is almost always worse in the distance in an image and applying it globally almost always results in an overcooked foreground if its set properly for a background.

Yes - it can be masked out in PS, but this is a step that could easily be avoided by making it available as a local adjustment.

Im sure it will eventually be available as a local adjustment in LR..feels kind of tacked on at present, like it was thrown in at the last minute.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:25 am »

Actually De-Haze in its current form is actually pretty useless in my view. What would have been far preferable would have been to have De-Haze up under Clarity and have it available as a local adjustment or via a gradient adjustment.

Haze is almost always worse in the distance in an image and applying it globally almost always results in an overcooked foreground if its set properly for a background.

Yes - it can be masked out in PS, but this is a step that could easily be avoided by making it available as a local adjustment.

Im sure it will eventually be available as a local adjustment in LR..feels kind of tacked on at present, like it was thrown in at the last minute.

While De-haze is global, one can then use the Adjustment Brush in LR/ACR to recover the foreground by masking it and imparting negative values of Clarity. Not optimal perhaps, but a workaround in some (not all) situations.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:23:33 am »

While De-haze is global, one can then use the Adjustment Brush in LR/ACR to recover the foreground by masking it and imparting negative values of Clarity. Not optimal perhaps, but a workaround in some (not all) situations.

Sometimes on pictures that include some fog I quite like a little negative Dehaze and in such cases clarity does not (from what I have seen) negate the Dehaze function. The slider works quite agressively and I find that the best way to do it is to click into the value next to the slider and go up and down by one value at a time by using the up- and downarrows.

But it would be much more usable in a local adjustment, so here is a thumbs up for that to happen :)

Josh-H

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 06:30:15 am »

clarity does not (from what I have seen) negate the Dehaze function

This is correct. They are a different algorithm. If they were not there would be no need for De-Haze.

Clarity is a mid tone contrast adjustment. Negative Clarity is a negative mid tone contrast adjustment that also seems to introduce lens blur and not a cancelling effect for De-Haze.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 06:54:42 am »

Actually De-Haze in its current form is actually pretty useless in my view.

Well, I think you don't really grok how to use Dehaze...

I suspect that you've not learned how to use it with a degree of subtlety.

And putting it in FX is EXACTLY where it belongs because it's a creative effect. And no, it will not likely ever be a local adjustment because it uses the entire image to determine the effect.

Face it, you just don't know how to use it...

Josh-H

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 07:02:59 am »

Well, I think you don't really grok how to use Dehaze...

I suspect that you've not learned how to use it with a degree of subtlety.

And putting it in FX is EXACTLY where it belongs because it's a creative effect. And no, it will not likely ever be a local adjustment because it uses the entire image to determine the effect.

Face it, you just don't know how to use it...

I am well aware that a subtle approach is required for De-Haze. Im not blind Jeff. Im simply saying it would be more useful (for me anyway) to be able to apply it as local adjustment (wether this is possible or not I bow to your insider knowledge). Ultimately, areas can be masked out in PS anyway, so its not a deal breaker.

Calling it a creative tool is a bit of a misnomer though - it could just as easily be called a corrective tool. All depends on how you approach an image.

Face it, your overly protective of Adobe. Its ok.. I understand that.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:15:16 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 05:51:51 pm »

Face it, your overly protective of Adobe. Its ok.. I understand that.

Nope, I'm really not. I am protective of the engineers particularly on the ACR team because they are my friends. With regard to Dehaze (no dash) it was designed as an effect and that's why it's there. Not likely to move (even though a lot of beta tester were asking for it in Basic) but from the engineers point of view (backed up by product management) Effects is where it should be.

Point in fact for the first time I've found a use for moving the histogram to adjust the image so I move back and forth from Effects to the Histogram adjustments to moderate the tonal changes cause by the "effect" :~)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 09:10:09 pm »

. . . putting it in FX is EXACTLY where it belongs because it's a creative effect.

Agreed.  Apropos of which, I'm discovering ways to use (abuse?) the Dehaze slider that have nothing to do with neutralizing atmospheric haze—although, to be sure, it often works very well for that.  Attached: two versions of a 2013 photo of a young couple making a "selfie," reflected in a glass wall, that I snapped with a point-and-shoot camera at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.  I'm not even sure why I bothered to save it, and it certainly will never qualify as fine art, but cranking up LR's Dehaze value to 60 made it an interesting picture, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think we should get overly exercised about the names the LR developers give various adjustments.  Every one of them is a creative effect if it helps you create the image you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up