Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRANSITION FROM LR6 TO C1  (Read 7942 times)

Philippe

TRANSITION FROM LR6 TO C1
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:24:40 am »

As I lost some confidence in Adobe due the not so nice trick of advantaging CC to the detriment of the life time licence  >:(, I am considering to change camps and adopting Capture One as my new pp workflow.
But, there is as always a 'but', I have been working in LightRoom since the very beginning, so many years ago.
Doing so, I gathered an extensive catalog and a rather huge image library, all organised by the famous 'LightRoom system'. But that's is of a lesser issue, I think...
What I am concerned of is the vast amount of work, e.i. developing, done on these photos in LR.
Can I 'transfer' all that developing work and settings from the LR catalogue to what ever it is called in Capture One, avoiding having to do all that developing work again in C1?  ???

Thanks for your advice.

PS: English is only my third language so forgive me my rather defective grammar! :-[
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:21:55 am by Philippe »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: TRANSITION FROM LR6 TO C1
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 06:17:30 am »

As I lost some confidence in Adobe due the not so nice trick of advantaging CC to the detriment of the life time licence  >:(, I am considering to change camps and adopting Capture One as my new pp workflow.
But, there is as always a but, I have been working in LigtRoom since the very beginning, so many years ago.
Doing so, I gathered an extensive catalog and a rather huge image library, all organised by the famous 'LightRoom system'. But that's is of a lesser issue, I think...
What I am concerned of is the vast amount of work, e.i. developing, done on these photos in LR.
Can I 'transfer' all that developing work and settings from the LR catalogue to what ever it is called in Capture One, avoiding having to do all that developing work again in C1?  ???

Hi Philippe,

The hardest part of switching, is forgetting old habits...

A common question is, how can I replicate this-or-that specific function of 'X' in 'Y', but that often is the wrong approach. The better question should be, how can I achieve 'this goal' or 'this look/style/result'. That may require first asking some questions to oneself, about what it is you want to achieve, what it is in the image that needs to be accentuated, and what not.

While in essence there are many similarities in the steps that are required to do a Raw conversion, under the hood things can be (and are) handled a bit different. That will make a one-to-one conversion difficult, if not impossible. And although it's a lot of work to start from the beginning again, it also offers the opportunity of a fresh look at some older files. In my experience, as your taste develops over time, you may want to develop the image in a somewhat different way (but you never felt the need to do so before because you thought it was finished). There are also some different tools that may offer different/better solutions.

There are several things in Capture One that are clearly aimed at Professional Capture and use of images, they may or may not be of use to you. There are many workflow benefits that allow to work very efficiently (time is money...). But overall, the conversion quality is very good and may improve your previous images in a way you never considered trying. The catalog system of Capture One is pretty good, but there will probably be some improvements over time to make it easier to use (watch some of the tutorials several times on the Phase One website and YouTube channel). You can also work in Sessions, and later add them to catalogs, but you'll need to define your requirements for the use of the images very well before you dive in. Some approaches work better than others, e.g. for stand-alone use or shared use.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Oscar Avellaneda-Cruz

• Ave Photo
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:45:35 am »

Yo Philippe.

You can still buy your copy LR6 from Adobe.
Just hop on chat with them and tell them you don't care for CC model.
That's what I did and paid the same old upgrade price as I did when I
went from version 4 to 5.

I too recently switched to C1 just for processing, but not cataloging.
I agree with Bret that the hardest thing is forgetting old habits.
My workflow in C1 is exclusively using Session for each assignment or project.

The brilliant rendering engine of C1 makes up for relearning a new interface
and tools. I work less on getting things where I want and actually find myself
inspired to work in a digital darkroom now.

LR6 will remain my go to for cataloging final images and for publishing to other
services. I think that its true strength is as DAM system.

Best advice I can give you for transitioning is drop your expectations of how things
should work. Instead allow yourself to explore the interface (watch tutorials to get learn it first)
and experiment with the tools.

btw, the customizability of C1 is incredible. I have two workspaces saved.
One for dual monitor workstation, and the second for my travel 13" MBP.

Now when I go back to LR I can clearly see the disadvantage of one size fits all.

On a separate note, I'm 90% sure LR6 will be the last version where you can buy the
license outright. The new subscription model of licensing speaks to the demands
Adobe has to keep up with "features" for industry that is now mostly dominated by consumers.

I love that C1 is focusing on professionals and it clearly shows in their rendering engine for color
and the freedom to make it your own. As a professional I didn't realize how much influence
Adobe had over my perception of what it meant to define my workflow till I saw the weakness in
LR starting back with version 4. I began to doubt the LR platform when I realized that the curves tool
never could exactly match what Photoshop curves did. I know I'm not the only one who noticed this
because when I began mentioning it others agreed.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 05:01:54 pm »

Hi,

Those perpetual licenses were always an illusion. If you had an old license of LR it would not be guaranteed to work on new platforms and support for new raw formats was always only added to the latest version of Lightroom.

The CC-licensing scheme is comparable in cost to the 18 month upgrade cycle of Lightroom, but also includes the corresponding version of Photoshop.

The answer to your question is that you can probably transfer some basic settings but not none of the more specific adjustments in Lightroom.

Best regards
Erik

But, there is as always a 'but', I have been working in LightRoom since the very beginning, so many years ago.

Thanks for your advice.

PS: English is only my third language so forgive me my rather defective grammar! :-[
Erik Kaffehr

Philippe

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 03:08:32 am »

Thank you all for these wise replies. :)

I already bought the upgrade to LR6, which wasn't obvious to find on Adobe's website...

I think the best way to learn and appreciate C1 is to have it trying out for one month (which is free), so I can 'feel' the deference.
As long as I can easily return to LR, no 'harm' will be done, and there are enough room and capacities on my MacPro to have these two working alongside.

As I understand it: trial and error is the way to go, as usual...

But I have a few more questions, just out of curiosity: how C1 is dealing with CPU cores, GPU and RAM?  Is C1, unlike LR, distributing the workload over several processor cores (my MacPro 5,1 has 2 x 6 of them)? Is C1 a lesser 'RAM cannibal'? Is C1 using the GPU memory for rendering (renewing) the images, as LR6 is doing?

Salut,
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:11:53 am by Philippe »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 05:26:51 am »

Hi,

LR6 at least is clearly using all core on my Mac Pro, but I have only four cores. It may be that only some modules like develop are accelerated.

I cannot really say about C1, but it has been fluent for me, so I think is quite efficient. But I have done very little "real work" on Capture One.

Best regards
Erik

Thank you all for these wise replies. :)

I already bought the upgrade to LR6, which wasn't obvious to find on Adobe's website...

I think the best way to learn and appreciate C1 is to have it trying out for one month (which is free), so I can 'feel' the deference.
As long as I can easily return to LR, no 'harm' will be done, and there are enough room and capacities on my MacPro to have these two working alongside.

As I understand it: trial and error is the way to go, as usual...

But I have a few more questions, just out of curiosity: how C1 is dealing with CPU cores, GPU and RAM?  Is C1, unlike LR, distributing the workload over several processor cores (my MacPro 5,1 has 2 x 6 of them)? Is C1 a lesser 'RAM cannibal'? Is C1 using the GPU memory for rendering (renewing) the images, as LR6 is doing?

Salut,
Erik Kaffehr

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »

how C1 is dealing with CPU cores, GPU and RAM?  Is C1, unlike LR, distributing the workload over several processor cores (my MacPro 5,1 has 2 x 6 of them)? Is C1 a lesser 'RAM cannibal'? Is C1 using the GPU memory for rendering (renewing) the images, as LR6 is doing?

LR and C1 both leverage multiple cores,   I believe C1 may be better at it, as I watch activity monitor it’s not uncommon for all of the cores to be used at the same percentage and frequently good use of the virtual cores, and even all hitting more than 90% during some functions.  LR doesn’t appear to be utilizing virtual cores, most of the time they show no activity. But I”m not an engineer, so all I can do is watch the CPU meter but for all I know some of the activity is not related to either program.

Also C1 is better at moving from image to image (although this may be due to a more robust preview system),moving from one image to another is nearly instant even with IQ180 files, and zooming to 100% only takes about a second, where as LR is about 3 seconds to move, and another 3 to 4 to zoom.

I use C1 for initial work most of the time because of it’s ability to use LCC’s to correct issues with a tech camera/digital back.  Personally I think LR handles high dynamic range images better for the shadows, but C1 handles it better for things like sunsets (which LR always makes too yellow). 

I use both, often rendering from C1 to a tiff file with as much information as I can get but maybe not fully processed,  then tweaking it in LR.

Philippe

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 05:22:22 am »

Thanks again foor all these interesting answers!

Allow me one more question...
How does C1 handels plug-ins and other external file editors like DXO ViewPoint and those who are not stand alone?

JaapD

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 06:23:51 am »

DXO ViewPoint functionality is fully incorporated into C1, so no need to go external.
Pages: [1]   Go Up