Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 days in New Zealand. Help!  (Read 8632 times)

gheder

14 days in New Zealand. Help!
« on: July 05, 2015, 02:37:45 pm »

Hello!

Going to New Zeland early march. Planing on spending 50% of the time on each island. Know that its not enough time to cover all of New Zealand. But what should my priorities be? What not to miss kind of thing.

And Im a big fan of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit :)

Thanks in advance.

Glenn
Norway

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Re: 14 days in New Zealand. Help!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:31:57 am »

On my last fishing trip there we stubbled across Danseys pass and ended up saying in the pub there for a couple extra days just taking in the surrounds.
Most of New Zealand is beautiful, but the pass area is up a notch.
The pub itself is also unique for being very close to the main road - like don't trip leaving through front door.

gheder

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 01:53:48 pm »

I did a search but must have missed those threads, thank you for posting the link. Will give them a read and take notes.

gheder

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 01:54:53 pm »

On my last fishing trip there we stubbled across Danseys pass and ended up saying in the pub there for a couple extra days just taking in the surrounds.
Most of New Zealand is beautiful, but the pass area is up a notch.
The pub itself is also unique for being very close to the main road - like don't trip leaving through front door.

Can you recommend any good flyfishing spots as my travelling partner will go there for the fishing :)

spidermike

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 03:49:13 pm »

Can you recommend any good flyfishing spots as my travelling partner will go there for the fishing :)

All over New Zealand...

When travelling round NZ I met a guy who was a gamekeeper on the Scottish estates and he went to Lake Waikaromoana in NE Noth Island for some fishing - he went for 1 day and stayed 4: he was in seventh heaven and trout know how to fight.
There are apparently loads of good fsiching spots over there.

redoleary

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 08:48:17 pm »

I can recommend the Coromandel Peninsula on the North Island, I actually got married at Cathedral Cove, but it's all quite beautiful there in spite of my obvious bias for the cove.  Lots of pretty stuff to see around there.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 10:21:49 pm »

There's not many bad spots on the South Island..  ;)
The 'South Island trout fishing guide' by John Kent (Reed books) is a great guide.
(There's a North Island version as well)

And a great website:
http://fishing.fishandgame.org.nz/freshwater-fishing-new-zealand

On the South Island, the Mataura river is a must for summer and on the North Island, the Tongariro river is a world famous winter fishery.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 02:15:24 am »

They Grey Coast is very photogenic.

My website has some interesting sites you might tink of visiting.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:27:17 am by tom b »
Tom Brown

Alistair

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:53:18 pm »

Hello!

Going to New Zeland early march. Planing on spending 50% of the time on each island. Know that its not enough time to cover all of New Zealand. But what should my priorities be? What not to miss kind of thing.

And Im a big fan of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit :)

Thanks in advance.

Glenn
Norway

Since you are a big fan of LOTR, you can easily spend 14 days if you centre your trip around the various LOTR locations in the north and south islands. You will also cover a lot of the country. Don't forget to visit the studios in Wellington where it was made, there is a dedicated museum there. You can stop for some fishing between locations. see here: http://www.newzealand.com/int/feature/lord-of-the-rings/
Alistair

JDOAK

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 09:14:53 am »

My New Zealand favorites:

1. Routeburn Track.  25 miles, 3 days, guided or independent, overnight in huts.  Spans Fiordland and Mt. Aspiring National Parks.  Southern part of South Island
2. Hump Ridge Track.  3 days, overnight in huts.  Very southern part of South Island
3. Kahurangi, Abel Tasman, and Nelson Lakes National Parks in the northern part of the South Island.   I believe the Mt. Owen area of Kahurangi NP was in a portion of Lord of the Rings
4. Westland Tai Poutini National Park and surrounding areas on the west coast of the South Island
5. Mt. Aspiring National Park.  I particularly enjoyed the "Siberia Experience", but had to swim across the river after heavy rains

The sandflies can be fierce; best to be prepared.

You can see some photos here: http://www.sublimelightlp.com/f365913020

Hope this helps

JD
www.sublimelightlp.com

Tarnash

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 05:41:03 pm »

Hi Glen, It very much depends on what your priorities are and there have been lots of good suggestions made already.  The `problem', if I can put it that way, is there are so many great places to see and visit.  March is a great time of year to visit and perhaps particularly for photography.  The weather is usually quite stable but bear in mind that it can change rapidly.  If your main purpose is outdoor activities then it may be best not to lock you itinerary down hard.  A day can make all the difference to what you see/experience, so watch the weather forecasts closely and plan accordingly.  The southern part of the South Island will be showing the first autumn colours and the area around Central Otago will be spectacular.  If you're planning to drive; the inland route between Otago and Christchurch, through the MacKenzie Country, Lake Tekapo and Mt Cook is stunning as is much of the South Islands West Coast.  At the Northern end of the South Island there's lots to see, (it's where much of the LOR was filmed) the areas around Tasman and Golden Bays are beautiful and a visit to the Abel Tasman National Park is well worth a day if you can spare it.  The most spectacular scenery (for me) is unquestionably in the South.  Fiordland is an absolute wonderland (but take insect repellant).  There is good fishing (both lake and river) to be had in many places.  Hope some of this is of use and that you enjoy your trip.     

gheder

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 02:37:49 am »

Thanks for all the great advice. Looks like its going to be an awesome trip, by looking at all the wonderfull pictures. CanĀ“t wait!
Pages: [1]   Go Up