Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A quick look at the HP T120  (Read 3511 times)

enduser

A quick look at the HP T120
« on: July 05, 2015, 03:17:15 am »

Experience with a T120 HP 24” dye printer.

SETUP
I’ll leave the “dye/pigment” debate to one side. My experience with the printer begins with price.
To begin with, the printer is cheaper in Australia.  A local price at Officeworks of AUD$999, and a BH Photo US price of US$949 makes the US price AUD$1250 when bought with Australian dollars.

This price difference is unheard of in Australia where even iTunes downloads are more expensive than elsewhere.
The printer has a powered roll feed and Wi-Fi, AirPrint and ePrint.

When I first loaded a roll the color display panel said “Roll Loaded with Skew”.  Before I could unload to try again, the panel said “Correcting skew”.   A few clicks later and skew has been automatically corrected. Then it’s ready to print.

Our work is canvas printing and we use 100% woven polyester upgraded for photographic quality and high degree of water resistance.  This canvas is easily cut with the inbuilt automatic cutter.   It will not cut 300 gsm cotton canvas, and don’t even try – the cutter will embed itself in a jumble of piled up canvas and take at least 30 mins to sort out.

We had a profile made for us, but strangely, the HP Universal Gloss Photo Paper profile supplied with the printer gives us faultless results. 
The paper cassette on the rear can remain in position while printing on a roll, but the roll has to unload ,  (but can remain in place on the spindle) when using sheets.  Borderless doesn’t seem to be an option.

There’s a full range of all options available on the control panel touch screen.
Setting up wi-fi printing was very easy.

IMAGE QUALITY

It’s no exaggeration to say that the canvas prints, at maximum detail, are indistinguishable from the ones done on our iPF 6100 Canon pigment machine.  We print from Qimage and have a floral 24”x 36” satin print from the Canon that we compared with the T129 print of the same image.  No one, including our digital image restorer, could see any difference in color, shadow or highlight, or sharpness.  That this is achieved with only three colors shows how technology of digital printing has advanced in the six years difference between the machines.

To get the best detail you have to choose “Custom Options”, press “Settings” and choose “Maximum Detail” and “Best” quality level.

It’s almost the best machine for the job except for the longevity of dye.  One benefit of dye is that it sinks into the canvas  – scratching is very hard to achieve, corners don’t crack etc.  How long they last indoors is debatable.  30 to 40 years if coated is a guess, but for our customers that’s fine.  If you try to engage them in debate on longevity their “low-interest light” quickly comes on. They’ve all watched the white plastics on their washers, refrigerators, microwaves etc turn yellow over ten years.  Picture permanence is more important, but they seem happy with our estimate.

franklinsson

Re: A quick look at the HP T120
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 02:39:50 pm »

The specs say it will print on paper up to 280GSM--but having problem getting it to manually feed what I think is 300gsm arches paper.. (a little over specs) Am I asking toto much?  Any expereince in using different types of art  paper-woulld it likely take arches a 280 gsm paper?   maybe have it on incorrect paper type? Edges too rough?

TIA

enduser

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:21:49 pm »

We load and print similar weight HP satin sheets.  Rolls also, and the cutter works with the rolls of that weight. It won't cut normal weight canvas rolls though, only the very thin synthetic canvas.

enduser

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 03:43:25 am »

Two things are baffling: the first is that the T120 I have will print at 1200 x 2400 dpi. All the HP docs say only 1200 x 1200. The other is that I now use pigment ink, and have been using pigment for months with no known problems. I get pre filled 711 carts from an Asian supplier. No clogs, no mess at the ends etc. Just the same as using dye.
The option to print at 2400 x 1200 is shown in the "Properties"/"Print Quality"/"Custom Options" and provided you have chosen a Satin or Gloss paper it will open "Custom Options"/"Settings": and there you choose "Max Detail".
The printer will produce an amazing B & W print using "Grey Scale settings using its one black cart.
I have a 24" roll feed printer with pigment inks, self correcting skew while loading paper, print heads under $200 (Self install) for US$ 800+.
A new model uses the same carts and seems little  changed except they are white.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 04:36:49 am »

Two things are baffling: the first is that the T120 I have will print at 1200 x 2400 dpi. All the HP docs say only 1200 x 1200. The other is that I now use pigment ink, and have been using pigment for months with no known problems. I get pre filled 711 carts from an Asian supplier. No clogs, no mess at the ends etc. Just the same as using dye.
The option to print at 2400 x 1200 is shown in the "Properties"/"Print Quality"/"Custom Options" and provided you have chosen a Satin or Gloss paper it will open "Custom Options"/"Settings": and there you choose "Max Detail".
The printer will produce an amazing B & W print using "Grey Scale settings using its one black cart.
I have a 24" roll feed printer with pigment inks, self correcting skew while loading paper, print heads under $200 (Self install) for US$ 800+.
A new model uses the same carts and seems little  changed except they are white.
an update from 2015- wow!
Some risk to change to pigment... amazing that it works... but what purpose has the pigment ink... longlivety?
All in all sounds like a good printer indeed- what i like about dye ink is the ability to print super glossy photos. And usually the gamut is larger and no gloss differential/ bronzing.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

enduser

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:55:48 am »

You're right - longevity. Watching genuine HP ink fade in a couple of years.made the decision for us. The only risk was a $150 print head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up