Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gitzo gt2542ls vs. gt3542ls  (Read 13048 times)

aizan

gitzo gt2542ls vs. gt3542ls
« on: July 03, 2015, 01:45:30 pm »

Is the new series 2 systematic really as stable as the series 3 systematic? I will be using it for a 4x5 field camera and for medium format (Pentax 67, Rolleiflex). It looks like all of the camera stores in LA stopped carrying Gitzo a while ago, so I haven't had the opportunity to handle the new versions with the triangular top casting. I remember the older 3 series being rock steady, while the 2 series was a little less sure-footed.

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Re: gitzo gt2542ls vs. gt3542ls
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:54:16 pm »

I've had 2 of the 35-series Gitzos but got tired of carrying them and switched to the GT2531LVL (with leveling column).  The latter is lighter and the legs flex a bit more than those of the 35-series 'pods.  In fact, I've never seen the legs of my two 35-series 'pods flex.  So I say 'no', the 25-series Gitzos are not as stable as the 35-series Gitzos.  If camera nonmovement is your primary goal rather than light weight, go with the 35-series.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:12:29 am by jeffreybehr »

dwswager

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »

Is the new series 2 systematic really as stable as the series 3 systematic? I will be using it for a 4x5 field camera and for medium format (Pentax 67, Rolleiflex). It looks like all of the camera stores in LA stopped carrying Gitzo a while ago, so I haven't had the opportunity to handle the new versions with the triangular top casting. I remember the older 3 series being rock steady, while the 2 series was a little less sure-footed.

No!  Under no mounted load or external forces, then yes.  But in the real world, where you mount loads and external forces are exerted on the tripod, then no they will perform differently and how different obviously will depend on the loads and forces.

Better design and construction can help overcome less mass, but in general, and within a particular tripod line, the more mass, the better the tripod will perform.  Otherwise, we would all be carrying 2lb tripods.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 09:11:29 am »

Hi,

I don't know. I have the GT3541L but I also have RRS 3-series tripod and the RRS plays in a much higher division. I would say those Gitzo's are overpriced and underperforming. Sorry to say… but that is my experience.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 04:29:45 pm »

Hi,

I don't know. I have the GT3541L but I also have RRS 3-series tripod and the RRS plays in a much higher division. I would say those Gitzo's are overpriced and underperforming. Sorry to say… but that is my experience.

Best regards
Erik

+1

I also have a RRS 34L and it is very nice.  Tube diameter it is between the 3 and 4 series if I remember, but performs like a 5 series.

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 04:38:49 pm »

I've often wondered how Gitzo would compare to RRS tripods but I've seen very little hard evidence. The only thing I've manage to find is this link: http://www.pbase.com/nrothschild/tvc33vsgitzo (claims Gitzo is better) but I don't know if anybody has reproduced this result.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 04:08:59 am »

I've seen very little hard evidence.

Indeed these comparisons, by the difficulty of rigorous testing, are largely subjective. The link provided quotes conditions : "All shot with a Markins M20 ballhead on a slate floor on a concrete slab foundation, indoors." Which hardly mimics real life landscape shooting conditions under which performance may be very different eg how the tripods vary in response to wind pressure, but provides consistency of conditions. Even the way the legs lock may please some users and greatly frustrate others.
Above it is stated one is worse because the legs flex, do we know if that is actually a bad thing? Maybe the flex absorbs forces better than rigidity? I don't know. Is heavier better? Doesn't that depend on the materials being comparable and even then the construction used?
Total minefield IMHO and the chance of finding reliable hard evidence that mimics the conditions you will be using it under and your equipment and how it is mounted, eg with a particular lens attached the load centre of gravity placement must be  factor inn performance, is approaching zero.
My advice is buy them, test them, and decide. Re-sell and consider the loss the price of knowing yourself.

For transparency: I shoot using a Gitzo 3540LS

P.S. I did find another comparison: http://scottgrobarek.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/really-right-stuff-tvc-34l-review.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:32:05 am by Chris Livsey »

aizan

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:16:38 pm »

it looks like people are more interested in comparing equivalent models of different brands than evaluating gitzo's claims about the new 2 series systematic. i might have to do what chris suggests and try it myself!

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 03:41:49 pm »

it looks like people are more interested in comparing equivalent models of different brands than evaluating gitzo's claims about the new 2 series systematic. i might have to do what chris suggests and try it myself!

Unfortunately, you can get all the reviews you want, but until you take one out and use it as you intend to do, it is hard to get any idea.  How I use a tripod might not be anywhere near close to your intended use pattern!

My comments are that either they came up with a new material or a significant change in the manufacturing process or discovered a design flaw.  They may have also made the tube walls thicker and stiffer while keeping the same outer diameter.

Gandalf

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 03:54:26 pm »

I have a Gitzo 3542LS and am continually surprised by how flexy it is, even with a DSLR and small zoom lens. It is not a quality piece of gear. By contrast, the 5-series Gitzos are rock solid even under significant loads (RED MX with a Canon 600L, or C300 with a lens on a motorized slider).

I have no experience with the RRS tripods, but I don't think I would buy anything else going forward. I chose the 3542 because at the time it was 1/3 less than the RRS, and RRS had backlog and couldn't commit to a shipping date when I was leaving for a trip and my dealer could ship the Gitzo that day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up