Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800 - First Impressions  (Read 31774 times)

Jager

• E vestigio
Re: Epson P800 - First Impressions
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 06:13:52 am »

Maximum print length is 129 inches (327.7 cm)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 08:56:09 am »

One question I have is about the inkset and cartridges. All except two of the 3800 cartridges can also be used in a 3880.
Can any of the 3800/3880 cartridges be used in the P800, or are they all new?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 09:53:31 am »

Ink carts on the P800 are about the same size as those in the 3800/3880.  But they are different part numbers.  I'm guessing, even if they are physically identical, the cart chips would prevent using one in the other.

That's just a guess...

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 12:20:48 pm »

When I bought my Epson 3880, I called them to ask what I could do with my leftover 1800 cartridges and told them which colors I had. They sent me the equivalent (or close) cartridges for the 3880 for free!
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

dwswager

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 04:24:02 pm »

My take based on use and reviews is that if you need the roll paper handling, then the P800 is fine.  But if you are using cut sheet or like me, you cut your own sheets from roll paper (I cut from 24" rolls), then the 3880 is probably a better bet while it is still available.  With the regular $300 rebate, it is by far a better value.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 04:25:08 pm »

Have you been able to find any new ones for sale recently?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 09:54:36 am »

Anybody try canvas on the P800?  I have had a hell of a time with my 3800, but as I am not doing this for a living, I can live with it.  If the roll feed works well with canvas, that would be a positive, and of course my inks are not up to the latest version. My 3800 is at least 5 years old, or whenever they came out.

Michael reviewed the 3800 on this site in 2006, so we're looking at about 9 years.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 10:10:31 am »

I'll let Mark comment on any skin tones he may have printed in the course of his review (and many thanks for that extensive effort, Mark.  It is very helpful).  I'll only say that in prints I've made, including people, there have been zero surprises with respect to tonality or color.  To my eye the P800 renders pretty much exactly as does the 3880.  (I've yet to print anything that would exhibit the deeper blacks that Mark speaks of).

The only prints I made that focus on skin tones are those of the Outback printer test target, which provide useful evidence on skin tones. I saw no irregularities comparing them between the printers. This is expected in a print set-up that is properly colour-managed including quality profiles, because of course from a technical perspective skin tones are just another bunch of numbers that need to be correctly rendered to the output space. The Epson profiles for this printer that I worked with are very good. I should add - there is often a subjective element to skin tones that can over-ride technically correct numbers regardless of the printer. The merit of looking at them through the test target is that one has an objectively comparable benchmark.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 10:15:04 am »

Ink carts on the P800 are about the same size as those in the 3800/3880.  But they are different part numbers.  I'm guessing, even if they are physically identical, the cart chips would prevent using one in the other.

That's just a guess...

According to Epson this is an "all new inkset" for the Surecolor series. If that's the case, the math in the driver for ink lay-down, dithering etc. could well be different than it was for the 3880. If you're going to buy a new printer that features improved maximum black, and according to Epson a more fade-resistant yellow, and perhaps has different ink lay-down algorithms it would seem to make the most sense - providing the greatest benefits - using the correct inks for which the printer was designed.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 10:20:14 am »

My take based on use and reviews is that if you need the roll paper handling, then the P800 is fine.  But if you are using cut sheet or like me, you cut your own sheets from roll paper (I cut from 24" rolls), then the 3880 is probably a better bet while it is still available.  With the regular $300 rebate, it is by far a better value.

From what I hear, there are no 3880s left to buy new in Toronto. Nor do B&H and Adorama show them on their websites. If you need a new printer in that class you'd buy a P800.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 10:25:45 am »

I can't find info on maximum print length>

From page 193 of the Manual (free download on the Epson website):

Non-standard sizes between 3.5 inches (89 mm) and 17 inches
(432 mm) wide, and between 5 inches (127 mm) and 129 inches
(3276.7 mm) long

Herbc

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 12:48:42 pm »

Anybody using canvas with the P800?  I am clinging to my 3800, which mark tells is 9 years old, and it would be  a great relief to have a printer that would be happy with canvas, even if I have to do the roll thingy. 8)

jed best

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 07:59:24 pm »

I received my P800 within the last few days and printed several images on Canson and Ilford today using the front "fine-art" tray. It was not difficult to keep the paper straight nor did you need alot of room behind the printer for the paper feed. My only bugaboo is that you first need to feed the paper through the front loader and then have the front loader retract so that the image now has a straight printing path. However, in many ways, this is easier than feeding 'fine art" paper through a 3880 or even a 4900. If you do not print everyday, it is my humble opinion, that a P800 is the way to go.

IanBarber

• Ian Barber Photography
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 04:57:27 am »

Interested reading about the comments people are posting about their personal experience from the P800. I am also at the crossroads where I need to make a decision whether to buy another R3880 or move forward to the P800

Epson R3880
It appears that the R3800/3880 has been a tried and tested printer and for some has stood the test of time for durability. My R3880 is only just under 3 years old and has died. It has only been used for personal use and in my opinion has not been misused. To look at it, you would think its less than 3 months old as the condition is immaculate both inside and out.

The fault with the printer is that the PK status monitor shows 73% full but in fact the cart is empty weighing in at only 60g compared to a full cart that weighs 150g. It has gotten to the stage now that I have to do a head clean every day if not twice a day because the PK checks just fail leaving broken lines on the nozzle check. Also, the yellow appears to be getting contaminated with black on the nozzle check.

According to Epson Support, they are saying that I need the Ink system replacing at a cost of nearly £600 plus i will need a new set of carts to prime the system. Obviously, un-ecomomical.

I have only seen a handful of people complaining about the same problem on the internet which has to tell you that, this is a known fault but a rare one at that based on the number of 3880 printers which must have been sold worldwide.

Yes... it has disappointed me but life is life and now I have to decide whether to look for another 3880, or move forward in technology and go for the P800 or look at a competitor such as Canon.

Epson P800
Having read all the posts, I get the impression that everyone is pleased with the print and build quality but the only niggle is the way in which the paper feed works. I am assuming that if you can only feed heavy weight papers from the front, then the printer has to be some distance from the wall to allow the paper to travel through just like the 3880.

Only having 64ml of ink from new is  little disappointing as well based on the initial price of the unit.

Would be nice to see a Youtube video review of the P800 including paper feeding, noise and to see the unit in action.

Ian

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 09:09:10 am »

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear about your problem with the 3880 - kind of surprising given the reputation of that printer being the least troublesome of the lot. Anyhow, as you say, life is life and one must look forward. I assume you've read the reviews from both Keith Cooper (Northlight Imaging) and me (this website) on the performance of this printer. Keith, compared to me, focused relatively more on the mechanicals and me on the characteristics of output and handling of image editing to suit this printer. I think you'll get an appreciation between the two reviews that the P800 is a fine printer. That said, both of us had review units made available to us before the final version and we had to return them to Epson, precluding a long period of stress testing, so neither of us, or I daresay anyone else, can yet have a definitive view on clogging or long-term performance stability, save to say that while I had mine, it worked just fine. For the week or so I had the prerelease unit I did not experience paper feeding hang-ups from either the top feed or the front feed, and I tried both with various thick-ish papers (Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Epson Hot Press Natural) and thinner (Epson Premium Luster or whatever they call it now). When using the front feed you do need to leave some space behind the printer. The noise level I found comparatively low, compared with my 4900, for example. If I were in the market for a new printer, the major feature that would swing me toward the P800 is the tremendous DMax - produces the blackest blacks I've achieved in 15 years of inkjet printing. Anyhow, you can read-up on all of that in the reviews. Epson claims the longevity of Yellow has also been improved. As for the 64ml ink fill - multiplied by 8 that is still a very large amount of ink - you can make a great many prints before buying a cartridge, and from what I'm informed, very little of it ends up in the waste tank on initial charging. Most of it is in the ink delivery system.

I can't advise whether you should buy a Canon or an Epson or anything else, but remember you are in the 17 inch segment of the market where choice of professional printers is quite limited; I remain to be persuaded that any other manufacturer produces a recent vintage  printer of this quality in the 17 inch professional range.

(typo corrected)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:39:44 am by Mark D Segal »

howardm

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 09:24:19 am »

You know what I have NOT heard about the P800? 

Pizza!!

Has that issue been addressed in the 800?  Has anyone *seen* pizza wheel marks?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 09:37:02 am »

You know what I have NOT heard about the P800? 

Pizza!!

Has that issue been addressed in the 800?  Has anyone *seen* pizza wheel marks?

I have not, on any of the output I produced during the testing period.

howardm

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 09:43:35 am »

That's great to hear.  Hopefully, it's a design feature and not just 'you got a good one'.

My 3880 is definitely worse (see it on dark areas about 2-3" from the right margin) than my old 3800 (never saw one).

At least on the 3880, once the paper dries down, it's 90+% unnoticeable unless the light hits it from a very oblique angle.

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 09:45:59 am »

I'm the OP and have now been printing steadily with the P800 for a couple of months.  My fondness for the machine has only deepened with use.

I remain mildly disappointed with paper handling in the P800 (versus the 3880) - the loss of the rear manual feed and the subsequent requirement that all fine art papers be fed through the front manual feed.  But all things considered that is a minor niggle.  Ultimately, the outstanding print quality trumps everything else.  Like Mark says, the improved dMax and the rich blacks are very noticeable.  You'll see the improvement in nearly every print.

I still have my 3880 (dedicated to Piezography K7), running right next to the P800.  I'd say the two printers are very close, if not identical, in terms of operating sound.  (I won't call it 'noise,' as it is anything but loud, and holds for me a hint of mystery and anticipation, and I love to hear it).

Sorry to hear about your 3880, Ian.  I can't speak to the Canon or HP equivalents.  But I definitely think the P800 is an able successor to its 3800/3880 forbears.

Edit - Re: pizza wheel marks on the P800... I have printed on a great many different papers, both glossy and matte, and have not encountered any.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:50:56 am by Jager »

howardm

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2015, 09:56:08 am »

I assume all of the ink carts have different SKU's or p/n's than the 3880?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up