Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Measuring Lens Variance  (Read 2069 times)

HansKoot

• HKPHOTO
Measuring Lens Variance
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:22:44 pm »

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/measuring-lens-variance

And a warning by Roger Cicala himself : "Warning: This is a Geek Level 3 article. If you aren't into that kind of thing, go take some pictures".

So its perfect here I think. ;D
"Its better to create something that others criticize than to create nothing and criticize others" (Ricky Gervais)

francois

Re: Measuring Lens Variance
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:41:02 am »

Interesting read, as always from Roger Cicala!
Francois

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:35:43 am »

Yes, I'm also looking forward to reading his conclusions (to be published in the future) on variance in "classic" (i.e., older MF lenses) compared to current lenses.

BrianVS

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:24 am »

If you are going to test older lenses- they will likely need a "CLA", which will cover differences in manufacture. Otherwise- how do you know if the variation is from manufacture, or from use?

I'm reminded of a test done in the 1970s of lenses and cameras made in the 1930s. The 5cm F1.5 Sonnar being tested did quite well except for one corner, which could have been corrected with a CLA. At some time, it had taken a knock.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:50:31 am »

Well, this is a fun article - thanks!

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:15:40 pm »

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/measuring-lens-variance

And a warning by Roger Cicala himself : "Warning: This is a Geek Level 3 article. If you aren't into that kind of thing, go take some pictures".

So its perfect here I think. ;D

I would expect that the variance in older lenses would, in general, be much larger than new lenses as manufacturing technologies have gotten much, much better over the years.  On the other hand, higher end lenses probably had better care taken with each sample than happens today.  Finally, as someone else said, variances introduced during 20 years of use and wear are going to be hard to separate out from manufacturing variance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up