Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best shoulder bag and tripod for street-walking?  (Read 10549 times)

yashima

Best shoulder bag and tripod for street-walking?
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:28:39 pm »

I apologise if this has been done ad nauseam, I'm a bit disorientated looking into this.

I have an MF gear that I use mostly in studio or outdoor very deliberately (it means, I will think and plan ahead before taking my gears out there). But lately I have wanted to take it outside for occasional stroll.  So I need your recommendation for:

- carrier bag that can contain 1 camera kit and 1/2 additional lenses, that I can take the camera out and back in quickly, seamlessly. Something a bit low key in appearance. I do not like neck strap and having to show a bulky camera dangling around all the time.

- ways to change lenses very quickly and effectively? I find myself quite clumsy changing lenses on the move

- a lightweight but of course stable enough for MF. Again criteria is quick to set up.

Thanks for your input.

yashima

Re: Best shoulder bag and tripod for street-walking?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:50:16 pm »

Anyone?

Billingham. Ona. Whats your pick?

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Gerald J Skrocki

MatthewCromer

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:07:59 pm »

Here are some streetwalkers.

Streetwalkers

You'll have to ask them about "tripods" and photo shooting sometime.

;D

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 12:12:05 am »

I know you were asking for a shoulder bag, but...for street photography I would recommend Think Tank Skin system. I have used it, and love it.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 12:16:36 am »

Yashima San
Having access to BIC and Yodobashi Camera your best bet is to stroll through the bag isle
You might want a Sony A7II with a 24-70 zoom for street photography, I'm happy with mine.
I miss BIC Camera my favorite store!
Watashi wa anata ga daijōbudesu negatte imasu
Marc
Marc McCalmont

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:55:32 am »

I know you were asking for a shoulder bag, but...for street photography I would recommend Think Tank Skin system. I have used it, and love it.

I have a think tank shoulder bag that I sometimes use for urban photography. They work pretty well but maybe a tad heavy. However a lot, but not all, of their bags look like they are made for laptops -- something I try to avoid.

Herbc

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 12:04:51 pm »

A lot of "messenger" bags work for what you ask for.  Tripod would be in its own bag.

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 12:16:11 pm »

I apologise if this has been done ad nauseam, I'm a bit disorientated looking into this.

I have an MF gear that I use mostly in studio or outdoor very deliberately (it means, I will think and plan ahead before taking my gears out there). But lately I have wanted to take it outside for occasional stroll.  So I need your recommendation for:

- carrier bag that can contain 1 camera kit and 1/2 additional lenses, that I can take the camera out and back in quickly, seamlessly. Something a bit low key in appearance. I do not like neck strap and having to show a bulky camera dangling around all the time.

- ways to change lenses very quickly and effectively? I find myself quite clumsy changing lenses on the move

- a lightweight but of course stable enough for MF. Again criteria is quick to set up.

Thanks for your input.

I'm partial to Domke backs that don't have a ton of padding and a stiff ridged shape.  I own 3 different sizes all made of the balistic nylon instead of canvas.  The rubberized threads in the straps help them stay on your shoulder.  My only complaint is that the design of the side pockets at the ends can allow rain into the pockets (dumbasses).  I use Thinktank backpacks for hauling gear and heavier field work.

As to tripod, it really depends on your needs, willingness to carry weight and budget.  I own a Really Right Stuff (main), Gitzo, manfroto and Uni-Loc tripods.  Each have their uses.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 06:12:39 pm »

I would recommend a messenger style top access bag. Better yet, one that can also be a rolling case.
For shoulder messenger I really like the UpRight Vanguard bag, the larger of the 2 as I have 3 lenes and a body with accessories.

If you want something more compact, I like the Tamrac Velocity 9. its their larger pack but still very portable compared to "cases,  bags".

I see ThinkTank has the Airport rolling case, but it maybe large for a shoulder bag...but!....

I recommend rolling as its so nice not to have stuff on when doing street shooting going from location to location.

Also much preferred over the exposed camera systems like mentioned of the ThinkTank Slip or others, as You dont want your gear exposed at all times.  With rolling you can take a lunch and have it under the table at your feet. Easy on the shoulders with heavier gear. Over the years, this is what works best for me.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Valdo

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 01:40:11 am »

Hi Yashima san,
instead of tripod I would go for a monopod, I can't imagine how to use a tripod in crowded streets

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 11:31:09 am »

I am partial to Billingham, but I have never used MF gear, so not sure how that would work. I suspect the weight on the shoulder would be a bit much for prolonged walks?

These days there are other options in terms of sling bags, or urban backpacks, from Lowepro, Think Tank, etc.

BAB

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 09:33:21 am »

Yashima
I have done a lot of street and walking best advise I was ever given take one lens and shoot it. If you find a location that requires a different lens go back another day to shoot it. Especially with medium format your comfort and peace of mind is where you will obtain your best images because your mind will be free to wander!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 10:35:21 am »

I have a lot of bags and this one http://www.travelsmith.com/pacsafe-camsafe-venture-v8-antitheft-camera-bag/689062?redirect=y featured in Kevin and Michaels Toy Shop  https://luminous-landscape.com/kevin-and-michaels-toy-shop-ii/  is one of the best I have found.  I have now had this bag for months and taken it to several different locations in the world and it is great to work with.  Review coming soon.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

philipus

• philipus.com
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 02:30:55 pm »

I use a Crumpler messenger bag (the old Wonderweenie) with a Crumpler insert for my Hasselblad and an extra mag plus film. 1-2 lenses would also fit in it.

John Camp

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 03:18:17 pm »

You have some conflicting requirements here -- something that can carry a bulky camera and a couple of lenses, but that you can get at quickly, so you can set it up on a tripod. The tripod means that you're not going to be all that fast, no matter what you do.

I once had a film Mamiya RZ that I would sometimes use for landscape shots, and tried a number of bags with. Almost any shoulder bag is going to be awkward for MF equipment, and tiring to carry. Best bet would be a backpack of some kind (as Kevin suggests) and there are several good brands -- look at Think Tank first, they cover almost everything. Kata has (or had) a bag that had two compartments, and includes do-it-yourself dividers -- the bottom one would be good for the camera, the top would carry a couple of large lenses, and Kata bags tend to be well-padded (some would say over-padded) and water-resistant, with tie-ons for a tripod. But no backpack would be really quick to use, like street-shooter gear, where you can shoot in a matter of seconds. The right pack would only be relatively fast, given the equipment you want to use. Also, be prepared to modify the interior of the pack -- don't think you have to accept what you see in the store. Look for a pack with velcroed, pull-out dividers, so you can re-divide the space. Bottom line is, go to a big camera store and look at Think Tank and Kata.

I'd also suggest that you forget about the tripod. Try hand-holding for a while, you may find that's good enough. Tripods are a pain in the ass, and if you're out walking the street, as opposed to streetwalking or doing rural landscapes, you may find that a lot of other people who share the street with you don't want to walk around a tripod, or worse, may run into it, and knock your camera over. There's nothing quite like the sound of a Leica S2 nose-diving into a concrete curb. In some places (like New York) it's against the city ordinances to set up a tripod without a photography permit, because it snarls up foot traffic. 

Lightsmith

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 07:10:32 pm »

I favor the LowePro Stealth Report bags as they have a large flap that had a quick release buckle to secure it in place. Very fast to get something out of the bag or put something back and the flap keeps out dust and dirty and curious hands. Tenba used to make a similar bag that was smaller than the Report series bags.

Another bag I like is the LowePro Sideline Shooter waist bag. It holds a 70-200mm or 2-3 smaller lenses and has a zippered pocket that is large enough to hold spare batteries and lens cleaning items.

Paul Wright

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 08:37:53 pm »

There is a new messenger style bag just announced from Peak Design, makers best known for their innovative camera straps. It's getting a lot of attention. Though too small for my purposes, it looks fantastic. When I need to travel light I use a ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro.

http://www.1kindphotography.com/2015/07/kickstarter-peak-design-everyday-messenger-bag-field-pouch.html
http://gearjunkie.com/peak-design-everyday-messenger
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-messenger-a-bag-for-cameras-and-essen

-pw
Pages: [1]   Go Up