Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D S  (Read 18344 times)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Canon 5D S
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 06:54:07 pm »

I think you guys are "pixl peeping" to me the RRS L-Plate for my 5DIII is a perfect fit for my new 5DsR, I dont see any differences what camera (5DIII or 5DsR) the plate is mounted on, port access are the same.

I am even considering to buy this guy for the 5DsR:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084612-REG/sunwayfoto_pcl_5diiir_l_bracket_for.html

Anyone have any experience with Sunwayfoto ?

Cheers

TES

I'd agree and call it plate peeping, but RRS themselves say their existing 5D3 plate does not fit the 5DS and they list the reasons. (See my earlier post.) That seems like enough reason to scrap the idea of purchasing a 5D3 plate for the 5DS. Unfortunately RRS plans only a 2-piece design so this rules out the new, not yet released, RRS L-plate for me.

FWIW I found these photos, though they aren't great for the purpose of comparison:

5D3
5DS

- Dean

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 05:11:17 am »

RRS have formally announced their L bracket for the 5DS/R - its a two piece design like a 1DX bracket.

It looks very well thought out - note the attention to the strap area.

RRS L Bracket.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 10:15:20 am »

thanks this has been a very interesting discussion. I have the RRS L bracket for my 1DX and like the design.  On occasion I do remove the upright portion and more rarely,  usually when tethering, slide it out to the second position.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 11:35:45 pm »

Today I received the new RRS L-brackets for my 5DS bodies and I am not happy about the increase in weight. See -

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1370974/5#13095315

Josh-H

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 03:32:44 am »

Today I received the new RRS L-brackets for my 5DS bodies and I am not happy about the increase in weight. See -

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1370974/5#13095315

Honestly I think complaining about the weight is a bit erroneous. By making the bracket in two parts there was always going to be an increase in weight over a single piece. I prefer the convenience of a two piece bracket. I mean it adds a few grams.. if thats really a concern we should eat less donuts.

That said.. if it really does matter to you to save those few grams.. buy the Kirk one piece.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:58:25 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 04:42:19 am »

Today I received the new RRS L-brackets for my 5DS bodies and I am not happy about the increase in weight.

Hi Rajan,

You may be able to feel the difference, which is amazing for such a small difference when mounted on the camera, but approx. 0.5% increase of the total camera+plate weight is usually not considered significant. Differences of 1% or more are normally considered significant in human perception.

Looking at the new RSS bracket, the main difference in the bottom plate fit seems to be in the non-twist flange designs. I assume that RRS found that there was too much tightness in the 5D3 plate, hence the warning about warping the cameras bottom plate when fastening the tripod screw connection. So maybe it would be wise to add a thin filler should you instead get a Kirk plate.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 04:44:14 am »

When I first read your question, I thought "Hmmm, L-plates for the 5DIII/5DS? Someone making a joke about Canon still learning to build cameras?"

:)

LOL, not Canon, but perhaps for the users of that camera?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 10:27:39 am »

Josh and Bart -

The 5DS weighs less than the 5DIII, so it is annoying that RRS went the other way. They could have offered a single piece option that came in at or less than the L-bracket for the 5DIII which, by the way, fits the 5DS without any undue pressure and provides full access to the ports. It has already been mentioned in this thread that Kirk's L-bracket for 5DS is the same item carried forward from 5DIII.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:31:01 am by Rajan Parrikar »

Josh-H

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2015, 10:35:29 am »

Josh and Bart -

The 5DS weighs less than the 5DIII, so it is annoying that RRS went the other way. They could have offered a single piece option that came in at or less than the L-bracket for the 5DIII which, by the way, fits the 5DS without any undue pressure and provides full access to the ports. It has already been mentioned in this thread that Kirk's L-bracket for 5DS is the same item carried forward from 5DIII.

So why not order yourself a 5dmk3 bracket and be done with it? Sorry. I don't understand your gripe. You have a choice here. Get a rrs 5dsr bracket, or, If you want a one piece light weight option get a kirk or a Rrs 5dmk3 bracket. Your problem is solved. You have a choice!
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 10:58:23 am »

So why not order yourself a 5dmk3 bracket and be done with it? Sorry. I don't understand your gripe. You have a choice here. Get a rrs 5dsr bracket, or, If you want a one piece light weight option get a kirk or a Rrs 5dmk3 bracket. Your problem is solved. You have a choice!

I already have the L-brackets from my 5DIII bodies. My "gripe" is that RRS has not lived up to its "Really Right Stuff" name by making the L-plate heavier than it needs to be. As a longtime user and admirer of RRS products, it is okay for me to gripe.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 11:05:59 am »

Hi all,

Quick question for someone who owns a Kirk and and RRS L bracket or plate.

Are the dovetails the same size and profile?
I've never seen these two together, but I have a couple of different 'Arca' style plates, and the dovetails are of differing dimensions = annoying with a lever style clamp.

Having just looked at both of these, I think I'd go the Kirk.

Cheers

AL
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 09:26:55 pm »

Hi all,

Quick question for someone who owns a Kirk and and RRS L bracket or plate.

Are the dovetails the same size and profile?
I've never seen these two together, but I have a couple of different 'Arca' style plates, and the dovetails are of differing dimensions = annoying with a lever style clamp.

Having just looked at both of these, I think I'd go the Kirk.

Cheers

AL

I own both types and they look the same side by side, but that doesn't mean they are the same. I don't think it's possible to tell if the profiles are truly identical just by looking at them side by side. It would take just tiny difference to make a lever clamp tight or loose. I use a screw type RRS clamp because I have various RRS, Kirk, and Wimberley plates going back decades that I occasionally want to use.

See also: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1033614
- Dean

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »

As a longtime user and admirer of RRS products, it is okay for me to gripe.

Its not only OK to gripe, it what forums are used for, sharing our thoughts and reasons why we like things a certain way. I think the makers of this crap also love negative(R&D uses) and postive (marketing uses) feedback. one goes with the other.

Gripe on Raj!!

(I'm still looking for the "hands on" 5DS /R thread that this posts title kinda lead me on to read here!)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Josh-H

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 08:21:04 pm »

Its not only OK to gripe, it what forums are used for, sharing our thoughts and reasons why we like things a certain way. I think the makers of this crap also love negative(R&D uses) and postive (marketing uses) feedback. one goes with the other.

Gripe on Raj!!

(I'm still looking for the "hands on" 5DS /R thread that this posts title kinda lead me on to read here!)

You know.  you are right. It is ok to gripe, its even ok to whinge and complain and that is partly what forums are for.

I just found it sort of petty to complain about a weight increase that is really pretty tiny. But what the heck.. grip away. ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 10:05:41 pm »

You know.  you are right. It is ok to gripe, its even ok to whinge and complain and that is partly what forums are for.

I just found it sort of petty to complain about a weight increase that is really pretty tiny. But what the heck.. grip away. ;D

The weight difference is not tiny if you operate with 2 bodies slung over simultaneously like I do. It won't break my back but I look to shaving off every ounce I can in these circumstances, and an L bracket is the last place I want to add grams to.

Josh-H

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 10:28:53 pm »

The weight difference is not tiny if you operate with 2 bodies slung over simultaneously like I do. It won't break my back but I look to shaving off every ounce I can in these circumstances, and an L bracket is the last place I want to add grams to.

'Tiny' is subjective. To me it is a tiny difference as I usually shoot with two 1DX's.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

one iota

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 09:41:51 pm »

My RRS Bracket arrived yesterday and is now mounted to the 5Ds.

Work-wise I often shoot tethered to a Nexus 7 tablet so an extendable 2 piece L bracket that accommodates the cable restraint that is supplied with and recommended for use with the camera is mandatory. The RRS product does this.

Attached is a shot of that setup in portrait mode. (Note that the USB 3 cable is not the supplied Canon cable and that the shot was taken with the wonderful Panasonic Lumix LX100.)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:12:24 pm by one iota »
Mahn England
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up