Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D S  (Read 18342 times)

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
Canon 5D S
« on: June 23, 2015, 02:39:31 pm »

Does the L-plate of a Canon 5D III fit the new 5D S? Thanks

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
- Dean

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Re: Canon 5D S
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 05:28:46 pm »

Yes, unqualifiedly.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:57:51 am »

I just swapped my Kirk L-plate from my 5D3 to the 5Ds, and it sure seems to fit just fine.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:00:27 pm »

If the OP allow me to add to the question, how about the kirk L-plate for the 5D mark 2 does it work on the Mark 3?
MY SITE: AL

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:30:11 pm »

Read on further with fm.  Really right stuff responded. And other posts describing the difference in the bottom and where the screw goes. I don't think I will do the 5d3 l plate. (Without grip). Maybe the new RRS or Kirk

jeffreybehr

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 01:21:03 am »

If the OP allow me to add to the question, how about the Kirk L-plate for the 5D mark 2--does it work on the Mark 3?

No; the plates for the 'D2 and 'D3/'DS/R are NOT the same.

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:35 am »

No; the plates for the 'D2 and 'D3/'DS/R are NOT the same.

thanks
MY SITE: AL

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 11:34:29 am »

Read on further with fm.  Really right stuff responded. And other posts describing the difference in the bottom and where the screw goes. I don't think I will do the 5d3 l plate. (Without grip). Maybe the new RRS or Kirk

Correct, there seems to be a risk of deforming the camera's base. Not a good idea.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

DeanChriss

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:21:38 pm »

It's very odd that Kirk is not selling a new plate for the 5DS/5DSR. The L-bracket and flat plate for the new cameras have the same part numbers as the 5D3 plates.
- Dean

larryg

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 02:04:47 pm »

Apparently Kirk is a different design than RRS. And has better support on the base of the camera. So the Kirk should be ok with the 5ds body?

jeffreybehr

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 05:30:45 pm »

It's very odd that Kirk is not selling a new plate for the 5DS/5DSR. The L-bracket and flat plate for the new cameras have the same part numbers as the 5D3 plates.

Why is it odd?  The two camera bottoms are the same shape and size and the port doors are the same size and in the same position.

If you WANT to spend more money, I believe RRS has a new two-piece 90-degree plate for $185 instead of $140.

DeanChriss

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 07:20:28 pm »

Why is it odd?  The two camera bottoms are the same shape and size and the port doors are the same size and in the same position.

If you WANT to spend more money, I believe RRS has a new two-piece 90-degree plate for $185 instead of $140.

It's odd because:

A. Numerous people on LL, FM, and other forums say their RRS 5D3 L-plates fit the 5DS cameras perfectly, including all of the side ports.

B. Someone on FM forums wrote to RRS asking whether their 5D3 plate would fit the new cameras and got the following response:
"Thank you for contacting us about this new camera. Whenever a new version of a camera is released, the first thing we always test is whether or not the previous generation plate will work. That being said, we are extremely picky about the fit and function of our plates on every camera body, because our customers demand a perfect fit and function. There are three specific issues that required a re-design and a new plate for this new camera.
    1) new camera does not sit level on the existing plate
    2) new camera does not sit flush against the existing plate
    3) minor changes to the port side of the camera affect the L-portion fit of the existing plate on the new camera"

C. Kirk is selling the same flat plates and L-plates for the 5D3, 5DS, and 5DSR.

Items A and B above can't both be correct, and item C confuses everything. I've got a RRS 2-piece L-plate for my 1DX. For that it's OK because the camera lives on long tripod-mounted lenses and I've never even installed the "L" part of the plate, but I might want to sometime. On the 5DSR I'd never take the plate apart and I see no point in having a 2-part plate that's always assembled as 1 part, never to be separated, not to mention paying more for it. I think my solution will be to buy a Kirk plate from B&H where I can send it back if it's not a perfect fit. Given the RRS response above I'm not comfortable buying a RRS 5D3 plate for the 5DS, which otherwise would have been my solution for a 1-piece L-plate.

[Edit] The part of the Kirk plate that fits against the bottom of the camera seems to have a shallow rectangular recess around the tripod mounting area and is otherwise considerably different than the RRS plate, which is mostly smooth and flat. It's at least possible that the Kirk plate fits all three cameras equally well, while without that recess the RRS 5D3 plate may not fit the 5DS camera as well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:33:13 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean

larryg

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 09:12:35 pm »

Good post.  I probably will go with Kirk.  Even though I have had RRS, including ball head, brackets for years
I have a RRS l bracket on my 1ds mkiii. And have never taken it off

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 06:27:09 am »

[Edit] The part of the Kirk plate that fits against the bottom of the camera seems to have a shallow rectangular recess around the tripod mounting area and is otherwise considerably different than the RRS plate, which is mostly smooth and flat. It's at least possible that the Kirk plate fits all three cameras equally well, while without that recess the RRS 5D3 plate may not fit the 5DS camera as well.

Hi Dean,

This (non-flatness of the 5DS bottom) seems to be the defining difference that requires a fitting bottom plate design, and possibly an already slightly wider opening on the Kirk to access the ports. Those who reported no issues with access to the ports with the 5D3 L-plate, do not specify with which connectors they tried it. Some HDMI (type C) and USB 3.0 connectors are wider on the outside than others.

The lack of images of the camera bottoms amazes me. That makes comparing the differences impossible for those who do not have both models actually in front of them. The side-ports seem to be positioned in roughly the same spot (although with rearranged sockets and without microphone socket), but the outer connector width may cause issues on an L-plate with a too narrow plate opening.

Cheers,
Bart

DeanChriss

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 09:57:21 am »

Hi Dean,

This (non-flatness of the 5DS bottom) seems to be the defining difference that requires a fitting bottom plate design, and possibly an already slightly wider opening on the Kirk to access the ports. Those who reported no issues with access to the ports with the 5D3 L-plate, do not specify with which connectors they tried it. Some HDMI (type C) and USB 3.0 connectors are wider on the outside than others.

The lack of images of the camera bottoms amazes me. That makes comparing the differences impossible for those who do not have both models actually in front of them. The side-ports seem to be positioned in roughly the same spot (although with rearranged sockets and without microphone socket), but the outer connector width may cause issues on an L-plate with a too narrow plate opening.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks, Bart.

What you describe is exactly my situation. I've been using a 1DS3 for landscape and other low ISO work because to my eyes there has been no significant base ISO IQ improvement until now. In fact the 1DS3 seems to have less pattern noise and some other advantages, but that's a different topic. For action and high ISO work I've been using a 1DX.  Between the lack of good comparative photos of the camera bottoms and the lack of a 5D3 there is no point of reference.

Canon have strengthened the tripod mounting area in the 5DS by using a thicker plate with more attachment points, so it makes some sense that there might be a difference in the bottom surface. That was confirmed in a 5DS tear down by Roger Cicala at lens rentals, but he makes no comparison between the bottom surface profiles of the 5D3 and 5DS. Anyway, I think it's better to be safe than sorry on this one.

On top of that I do not want a 2-piece L-plate on the 5DSR because for me it provides no added functionality at a higher price and weight. RRS has always been my preferred manufacturer so I was hoping their one piece 5D3 L-plate would fit the 5DS. Without that option a Kirk L-plate is my best alternative.
- Dean

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 11:12:05 am »

RRS has always been my preferred manufacturer so I was hoping their one piece 5D3 L-plate would fit the 5DS. Without that option a Kirk L-plate is my best alternative.

Hi Dean,

I understand, but there is no real confirmation that the Kirk L-plate for the 5D Mark III fits the bottom of the 5DS either (it also looks kind of flat except for some openings). In fact, to add to the lack of solid info and confusion, they place ghosted-images of the 5D Mark III on their 5DS pages ...

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:15:11 am by BartvanderWolf »

tesfoto

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 05:11:39 pm »

I think you guys are "pixl peeping" to me the RRS L-Plate for my 5DIII is a perfect fit for my new 5DsR, I dont see any differences what camera (5DIII or 5DsR) the plate is mounted on, port access are the same.

I am even considering to buy this guy for the 5DsR:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084612-REG/sunwayfoto_pcl_5diiir_l_bracket_for.html

Anyone have any experience with Sunwayfoto ?

Cheers

TES

rdonson

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 06:20:01 pm »

I bought both an RRS and SunwayFoto L bracket for my Fuji X-T1.  I liked the Sunwayfoto better so I gave the RRS to my wife for her X-T1. The machining and finish looked the same to my eye.  The rest of my cameras are all Canons with RRS L brackets although I don't have a 5D3 or 5DS. 
Regards,
Ron

NancyP

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 06:30:51 pm »

I buy one piece Kirk L brackets for my kit. One of their L brackets protected my 6D from a corner blow  (I slipped backward, camera in hand, and fell hard on rock). L bracket got a scratch in its black anodized finish. Camera perfectly happy. Photographer......limping and sore for a bit.

Sunwayfoto: Reasonable quality rails and clamps. Have not tried their L bracket designs.

Whatever you buy, make sure that it has easy access to ports, batteries, card - some knockoffs I have seen on Amazon look improperly designed, which is why I bought Kirk.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up