Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera L Brackets  (Read 16610 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Camera L Brackets
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:33:35 am »

Is there any functional downside to using the Arca universal camera L bracket compared with the L brackets that Kirk and Really Right Stuff make for specific camera bodies?

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:49:49 am »

A custom bracket made for a camera usually have a ridge that makes twisting impossible and openings that let you access ports on the side and clearance for battery compartment. With a generic bracket this may or may not be possible.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Camera L Brackets
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:36:16 am »

Is there any functional downside to using the Arca universal camera L bracket compared with the L brackets that Kirk and Really Right Stuff make for specific camera bodies?

In general, the larger and heavier the body and lens (if lens doesn't have it's own tripod mount) combination  the more you want/need an anti-twist stopper, either a form fitting lip or as is the case with the Arca-Swiss L-bracket, an orientation pin.

The base plate for the Arca-Swiis L-bracket comes with a steel pin that matches recesses in the plate and for certain, but not all camera bodies.

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:46:41 pm »

if you use clamp with lever release and w/o screw-knob then you need a very good match between clamp and plate... with screw-knob (or combined) it is a small issue by design

AlterEgo

Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »

A custom bracket made for a camera usually have a ridge that makes twisting impossible and openings that let you access ports on the side and clearance for battery compartment. With a generic bracket this may or may not be possible.
but then if he has a popular brand camera there are generics that fit the body no less perfectly than Kirk or RRS...  or even there are a lot of generics with anti-twist lips that can match his body

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 01:32:42 pm »

In my opinion, yes!  i have had custom L-Plates on my cameras since 2005.  I usually leave them on even when hand holding the camera and the tripod remains in the car or at home.

A potential lower priced option might be Sunwayfoto or even Newer.  The Sunwayfoto stuff I have is about 85% the quality of all the RRS stuff I own, but at about 50% the price.  Newer stuff is even cheaper and has maybe another 5-10% drop in quality/functionality.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 03:09:39 pm »

Have you looked here at ProMediaGear ? I think you get more value for money then from RRS

http://www.promediagear.com/L-Brackets_c_19.html
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 03:15:00 pm »

I've only used my Arca-Swiss L-bracket on my D700 & D800. I've had no negative issues whatsoever.

David Eichler

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 03:27:21 pm »

Thank you for the comments so far and attempts to be helpful.  To be clear, this is the item I am considering: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html

Of the respondents so far, only Ellis and Bill appear to have actual experience with this item and I am seeking opinions from those who have actually used this item. The reasons I am considering it are a) Arca Swiss reputation for quality, and b) the fact that it is adaptable to a variety of different dslrs. I would mostly be using it with wideangle and short telephoto lenses. I currently use the Canon 6d. In the future, I would be planning to use it with one of the current 5d models or with a Sony A7. Should have provided this additional info initially.

AlterEgo

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:27:27 pm »

with a Sony A7.
yes, because chinese L-plates fit A7*s bodies like a glove covering whole bottom (that is unlike anything RRS does - they simply can't compete) and cost like ~$15-20 for both mark I and mark II A7 body styles... make no sense to waste money for the solution you mentioned... I had RRS one for E-M1, then I purchased chinese for A7 when RRS was not able to deliver the plate that covers the whole bottom of the body... the end result ? RRS can take a hike at least in that department, both on price ___and__ quality too... so you better of with buing the one that fits your specific camera body - because your cameras (Canons or Sonys) are not something exotic where proper body tuned option is not available.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:31:50 pm by AlterEgo »

David Eichler

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 04:36:24 pm »

yes, because chinese L-plates fit A7*s bodies like a glove covering whole bottom (that is unlike anything RRS does - they simply can't compete) and cost like ~$15-20 for both mark I and mark II A7 body styles... make no sense to waste money for the solution you mentioned... I had RRS one for E-M1, then I purchased chinese for A7 when RRS was not able to deliver the plate that covers the whole bottom of the body... the end result ? RRS can take a hike at least in that department, both on price ___and__ quality too... so you better of with buing the one that fits your specific camera body - because your cameras (Canons or Sonys) are not something exotic where proper body tuned option is not available.

But have you actually used the Arca item in question, so that you can say with certainty that it is functionally inferior to brand x brackets in the way you imply? If you haven't, then I really cannot give your suggestion much weight.

AlterEgo

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 04:42:33 pm »

But have you actually used the Arca item in question, so that you can say with certainty that it is functionally inferior to brand x brackets in the way you imply?

it does not follow the body shape, that's enough... the added advantage of the full bottom coverage is that you have a better grip, because your pinky has something to rest on, so in my case those L-plates simply live on camera body full-time... however again - if your Arca clamps are lever-operated then you need to pay attention to how good is the match, I use only screw-knob Arca clamps, so this point is mute for me.

then I really cannot give your suggestion much weight.

by all means...

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 03:35:52 pm »

I used my Arca swiss L-bracket on the Nikon D200 and I'm using it on the D800E. It works very well, much better than the Arca Swiss Monoball P0.There are no vibrations at all, although I keep it not adherent to the camera in order to open the battery door.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:42:39 pm by muntanela »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 09:14:06 am »

One very useful aspect of the Arca-Swiss l-bracket design is that the position of the side plate is adjustable for height as well as distance from body, and i like that the double-L bracket and side plate are also easily removable.

dwswager

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 06:22:11 pm »

One very useful aspect of the Arca-Swiss l-bracket design is that the position of the side plate is adjustable for height as well as distance from body, and i like that the double-L bracket and side plate are also easily removable.

The RRS L Bracket for the D810 lets it slide such that you can attach cables while the having the camera in portrait orientation on the clamp. So does the Sunwayfoto bracket.  I like the custom brackets because they stay on my camera over 90% of the time.

Rand47

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 10:30:05 am »

I have custom L-plates from RRS but have recently started using this extended universal plate from Acratech

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=736388&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2v2sBRCazKGu3tSFz64BEiQAKIE1htTX35bJSjlRFG_BJObkFPgTjvJfWrOYOxJCSvsECf4aAuFf8P8HAQ&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

WHY?  Because I can use it "backwards" and not have any interference with remote connections on the left side of the camera bodies!  (Makes me wonder why custom plates are all made that way, actually.). And, I can have one L-plate that works w/ all my gear.  And, it will work with vertical grips attached, or not.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

dwswager

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 10:17:54 am »

I have custom L-plates from RRS but have recently started using this extended universal plate from Acratech

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=736388&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2v2sBRCazKGu3tSFz64BEiQAKIE1htTX35bJSjlRFG_BJObkFPgTjvJfWrOYOxJCSvsECf4aAuFf8P8HAQ&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

WHY?  Because I can use it "backwards" and not have any interference with remote connections on the left side of the camera bodies!  (Makes me wonder why custom plates are all made that way, actually.). And, I can have one L-plate that works w/ all my gear.  And, it will work with vertical grips attached, or not.

Rand

Those are quite logical benefits to a generic plate.  Great to have options!  Everyone needs to decide what aspects are important.  No one solution works for everyone.

Some Guy

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 12:12:47 pm »

Thank you for the comments so far and attempts to be helpful.  To be clear, this is the item I am considering: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723386-REG/Arca_Swiss_802306_Universal_L_Bracket.html

I dunno about that one.  Too many adjustments, and the base does not interlock to the body well enough to keep it from turning.  I've had those rubber quick-mount plates before and they really never do cinch the body down well enough.  Plus, you have all the release levers and mechanical stuff to deal with.  I got a bad feeling you'll buy another one later tailored to your camera body.

I'd get one made for the body and leave it on.  If it's made for it, you can access things like batteries and cable ports.  The RRS ones have a cinch-pin where you can mount a Camdapter leather hand-grip (Also the RRS hand grip leather too.) to them and allows you to carry the camera around easily.

"Cry once" as the saying goes.

SG

David Eichler

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 03:52:41 pm »

Bought the Arca Swiss L bracket. I works fine with my Canon bodies up to medium telephoto. Would be using the lens's own tripod mount for longer/heavier zooms.

gmfotografie

• gmfotografie
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 07:17:59 am »

hi guys, i need an l plate for canon 5div with and without batterygrip. also want no problems when i'm changing the orientation of the cam with the usb cables when i'm tethered shooting.

arca swiss l bracket okay ?

best michael
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up