Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom for Windows  (Read 8533 times)

CJD

Lightroom for Windows
« on: February 17, 2006, 06:59:17 am »

Really feeling left out here !

When can we expect a windows version ?

(please, no smug replies form happy Mac users !!)

michael

Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 08:28:49 am »

It looks like late spring or early summer, but Adobe hasn't been more spefici than that.

Michael

gryffyn

• http://www.tarafrost.com
Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 11:26:01 am »

It looks like late spring or early summer, but Adobe hasn't been more spefici than that.

iView's MediaPro is starting to look a lot more attractive, if Lightroom for Windows is going to be that long coming.

I'm curious as to whether you think Lightroom will replace MediaPro or will better it by the time it ships in production, Michael, since I know you are really familiar with both?

Thx!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:27:07 am by gryffyn »
.....Andrzej

michael

Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:43:20 am »

Lightroom will do a lot of what programs like IView and Photo Mechanic will do. Whether they are suitable to be a replacement for these will be a decision that only a user can make based on his/her own particular needs.

As for me, I now use Lightroom for everything I do, only dropping into Photoshop for special situations, when Lightroom doesn't (yet) have the ability to handle a certain task.

Michael

gryffyn

Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:48:59 am »

As for me, I now use Lightroom for everything I do, only dropping into Photoshop for special situations, when Lightroom doesn't (yet) have the ability to handle a certain task.

I know you were a heavy iView MediaPro user.  Can you give those of us that haven't yet decided on a DAM solution some insight into why you switched from iView MediaPro to Lightroom?  Pros/cons of such a change?

Many thanks!
.....Andrzej

michael

Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:40:27 pm »

Simply the advantages of integration. Lightroom lets me ingest files, keyword them, edit or add image data, sort, organize, review, archive, catalog, raw edit, image edit, and print, all in one integrated environment.

Conceptally, it functionally replaces Photo Mechanic, Iview Media Pro, Camera Raw, Photoshop and a RIP. Not all of them, not all of the time, but most of them most of the time. And it isn't even finished yet.  

Michael

gryffyn

Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 03:53:58 pm »

Simply the advantages of integration. Lightroom lets me ingest files, keyword them, edit or add image data, sort, organize, review, archive, catalog, raw edit, image edit, and print, all in one integrated environment.

Conceptally, it functionally replaces Photo Mechanic, Iview Media Pro, Camera Raw, Photoshop and a RIP. Not all of them, not all of the time, but most of them most of the time. And it isn't even finished yet. 

Sounds like magic! ;-)

One thing I really like about ivmp is that you can export all your metadata (keywords, catalogues, etc.) in XML format, so it can be transformed and used in other tools.  Or it can facilitate moving to a different tool at some point.

Does Lightroom have comprehensive XML export capability yet?

That would make it a serious contender in my books if it does everything you say along with XML export.

Thanks!
.....Andrzej

michael

Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 04:57:56 pm »

Partial XML integration at this point. Likely total by the time the product ships.

Michael

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 05:12:25 pm »

Can you give those of us that haven't yet decided on a DAM solution some insight into why you switched from iView MediaPro to Lightroom?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58611\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This gives me a chance to make an acerbic remark (trying not to offend anyone).

My pontification is that we are now into a post pixel peeping paradigm (PPPP). Given that the camera/ sensor has achieved sufficient levels of quality that pixel peeping no longer renders the satisfaction it once did i.e. digital now clearly surpasses film at the general photographic level; there is a group of photographers out there who still ned to satiate their unqenchable need to fiddle, investigate and determine how to get the 'best' solution. This quite often results in the constant search for the NBT (next best thing), which once found renders the previous NBT somewhat passe. So far in the last two years we have climbed the camera/sensor NBT curve such that there is no further gain in pixel peeping, we have also climbed the RAW convertor NBT curve, such that further discussion on such a subject is rather fruitless. Therefore, for those that require an NBT the current flavour of the year is DAM software and tools concerning integrated image workflow.

So, in the same way that a Canon D30 can still take as good pictures as it did when it released, and is still a fully capable camera if you don't need the resolution of a 1DsII, then iViewmediapro still has all the benefits it had, still has and will have if you don't need the benefits of Lightroom.

Michael has given some fair reasons for switching to Lightroom above and adequately fulfills his obligations as early adopter and sneezer - the question is when will the next NBT arrive ;-) and when will this particular curve plateau so that the rest of us can upgrade once when the genre is mature.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 05:13:18 pm by DiaAzul »
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

gryffyn

Lightroom for Windows
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 09:04:10 pm »

This gives me a chance to make an acerbic remark (trying not to offend anyone).

<snip>

So,  <snip> iViewmediapro still has all the benefits it had, still has and will have if you don't need the benefits of Lightroom.

Michael has given some fair reasons for switching to Lightroom above and adequately fulfills his obligations as early adopter and sneezer - the question is when will the next NBT arrive ;-) and when will this particular curve plateau so that the rest of us can upgrade once when the genre is mature.

Hmmm....since you quoted me, I suppose I could take offense but won't.  Not worth it.   ;-)

I have been looking at DAM solutions for a few months but as yet have not made a final selection.  I don't want to go through the upgrade or software change process with DAM software, since that is typically a painful process that carries with it very few benefits compared to the cost (mainly the time/effort of conversion and re-learning a new tool).

So I'm not looking to switch, but to choose the best package for my needs, at this (more or less) point in time.  Since Lightroom is garnering raves from some photographers, like Michael, who's opinions I hold in high regard, it seemed prudent to find out what is so good about it, and why it might be better than ivmp (or others in the genre) before I spend my money, and even more importantly, invest the significant amount of time such a tool will require.

I will likely need a good cataloguing/keywording solution well before even the LR windows beta is released, so ivmp looks like a good contender to meet my needs. And worse case, if I decide to go that route, Lightroom (and other similar products like Aperture) are instilling a lot of interest and competition in the DAM space, which will cause all applications to improve (or die).  This means that ivmp will only improve which is a nice position to be in.

My 2 cents worth in response to your "acerbic remark".

.....Andrzej

PS.  After nearly 30 years in the software business, I'm a bit jaded myself.  
.....Andrzej
Pages: [1]   Go Up