Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus OM-D 10 lens mount very tight?  (Read 4736 times)

AS1

Olympus OM-D 10 lens mount very tight?
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:14:58 am »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has trouble mounting Olympus lenses to an OM-D 10.....my lens mount is extremely tight. I've never owned a camera that was like this!
The kit zoom lens 14-42 is really smooth, but a 17 / 1.8 is very tight. I've seen on other forums people having this issue too.
If anyone has had this issue, does it improve with "wear". I'm thinking it's the camera mount is too tight?
I'd be interested in other peoples experiences.
Thanks,
Alan.

degrub

Re: Olympus OM-D 10 lens mount very tight?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:49:41 am »

I would
1) swap it for another copy
2) return it and look for another lens manufacturer at about that focal length.

speedyk

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 03:43:09 pm »

If you want to keep it, you could feel the edges of the bayonet area, esp. where the leading and trailing edges are machined, to see if there are burrs that weren't removed. If there was a run of mounts processed by a new finishing person, that could be why some are tight.

john2

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:42:01 pm »

I had this problem with a 45mm lens on an OM-D-M5. The lens was faulty - it also overexposed by two stops. Olympus exchanged it under warranty.

b_rubenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:58:06 pm »

The kit zoom lens 14-42 is really smooth, but a 17 / 1.8 is very tight.

This is a common issue with Olympus bodies and ยต4/3 lenses. In the case of the kit lens, it's mount is made out of some type of plastic, so it has some yield and is somewhat slippery. The tight fit of lenses with a metal mount appears to be due to a combination of materials, finish and tolerances. I have an EM10 and the mount appears to be chrome plated brass and does not have a fine surface finish. This makes for high friction with a metal mount lens. (My 17/1.8 lens looks like it has very finely machined, high silica content aluminum alloy mount.) My EM1 and EM5 look like they have stainless steel mounts with a much finer (lower RMS) finish. Lenses mount much easier to these cameras. The fact that some people have real problems mounting lenses to a body, but other people with the same body/lens combination don't, suggests tolerances issues. FWIW, I had a Panasonic GX1 body and had no problems with any lens, and I've read about very few, if any problems other people have had with Panasonic bodies.

The lens and body mount eventually bed in and the friction drops. I the meanwhile, you can spray a bit of silicone lube on a cloth and wipe down the face of camera's lens mount.

AlexRobinson

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:34:19 am »

Saw this a lot on E-M10s, I'd just return it. In fact, if you're buying an E-M10 in store I'd test it before leaving with it as I've seen a good percentage do it.

However doesn't impact operation of the camera from what I've seen, you could also do what is suggested above.

Ken Thomson

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 07:27:04 am »

I experienced the same thing with a borrowed EM10 and the 45mm lens. This was on Olympus "Test & Wow" promotion that allows you to borrow kit for a weekend to evaluate.. The kit lens was absolutely fine.

AS1

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:07:28 am »

Well after about 10 days of on and off use of the 17 lens it seems to be going on more easily....still feels a bit tight, but I'm more comfortable with it now. Seems to be ok....
Thanks for all the suggestions,
Alan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up