Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd slider reaction in Develop Module  (Read 13347 times)

mbaginy

Odd slider reaction in Develop Module
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:20:56 pm »

I just updated to LR 6.1 and noticed, that moving the sliders in the develop module, doesn’t create any reaction in the image until moved by a major amount.  I was decreasing exposure and neither the image darkened nor the value changed until I reached about -1.57.  Then the image suddenly reacted tot he change and darkened dramatically – naturally too much.

The similar performance (or lack of) seems to happen with any slider.  Only when I slide a slider all the way to one side and then back to the former position and move it slightly, does a slider perform properly (in small increments).  But the next slider again acts oddly again.

Has anyone noticed such a phenomenon after their update to 6.1?  Take a look at the slider’s position in reference to center (zero) position and see the shown amount – still zero!

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Odd slider reaction in Develop Module
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 02:44:14 pm »

Nope, no problems here. The effect of any slider seems instantaneous, both on the picture as well as the histogram

Using Win8 with an i3 processor @ 3.5 GHz and 16 GB and GPU in LR disabled
pieter, aka pegelli

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:50:50 pm »

Ah, Pieter, that reminds me to mention that I'm using an (older, 2010) iMac with i3, 3.2 GHz processor and 8 GB of RAM.  Not the newest and RAM surely isn't maxed, but this (lack of) reaction should be the result.

pegelli

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:55:15 pm »

I agree Mike. Is your GPU acceleration enabled or disabled? That's the only straw I can offer now  :(

MAC's usually need less RAM and processor speed for the same performance, so our systems are not that far apart.
pieter, aka pegelli

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:56:29 pm »

Ah, Pieter, that reminds me to mention that I'm using an (older, 2010) iMac with i3, 3.2 GHz processor and 8 GB of RAM.  Not the newest and RAM surely isn't maxed, but this (lack of) reaction should be the result.

I have a newer iMac with quad core i5 and I had to turn the GPU "performance" off to get back to what I knew as normal.
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 09:54:10 am »

Ron and Pieter, I did have GPU acceleration enabled.  I've disabled it, rebooted the iMac, but without any improvement.  This phenomenon is making any adjustments a real nightmare!  I can't make any adjustments in minor increments but am forced to swipe the sliders far to one side, then begin my adjustments - which is total crap, to put it nicely.

If I can't remedy this problem, I'll need to search for an alternative software.  I'd really hate to do that since I've come to enjoy LR so much, from the first iteration until all versions prior to this recent 6.1 update.  And I'm not keen on learning to use a new software proficiently.

What alternatives are there, similar to LR?  I know that Aperture is gone and Apple Photo doesn't offer features all I enjoy with LR.  Not overly keen to use Bridge with my CS6, but maybe that's what I'll need to resort to, should all else fail.

Am I the only user with this problem?  Then it can't really be a bug but rather, something to do with my iMac?  Or my LR settings?  Or whatever?

Otto Phocus

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 10:03:41 am »

Is there a way that after you make a minor adjustment with a slider you can tell your mac to refresh??

Or is there a sensitivity setting that may have been altered?

grasping at very thin straws here.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

pegelli

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 10:23:19 am »

Mike, can't you re-install LR 6.0 again if you didn't have the problem there?

As long as you don't have any new/unsupported cameras this should not be a problem.
pieter, aka pegelli

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 12:28:12 pm »

Mike, a few thoughts.

- did you try to reset Presets?  (if you've got a lot of presets you might want to make a copy of them first)
- have you optimized your catalog recently?
- if you have plugins did they migrate ok with the Lr 6.1 update?
- have you checked Disk Utility to see if there are any DMGs from the update still active?
- have you seen anything out of the ordinary running in Activity Monitor?

The last two were how I found a problem on my wife's iMac after the latest LrCC update
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 01:02:37 pm »

Otto, Pieter, Ron, thanks for your helpful advice and suggestions!  Following the update to 6.1, I haven't changed any settings except disabling the GPU acceleration.  That doesn't seem to have had any effect, where positive or negative.  I'll be truthful, I haven't a clue what that setting does or should do.  I'm ready to enable it again since my reasoning (right or wrong) is, that Adobe should know what they're doing and I've always done good accepting their defaults.

A few more comments:
- I have no presents which need may be infringing proper function of LR.
- I optimize my catalog regularly since I photograph almost daily and am constantly importing & processing.
- I have no plugins.
- There are no active DMGs.
- I have no unusual additional software running (only Apple Mail, Calendar, Finder, at times Safari).
- I'm tempted to try to re-install LR6 but I like the Fujifilm X sensor improvements - far less haloing of features (branches) with blue sky background.
- I can't recall changing any settings or adjustments following the update which might impact this performance.  Also no sensitivity settings.
- I'd hate to need to upgrade to a newer iMac - that would be quite a cost every few years/LR updates.

I'll keep an eye on this but fear I may only be able to use LR for viewing and may need to use CS6 far more than I really want - seems a bit of a digression instead of progress.  And I can't understand that I seem to be the only user encountering this delayed slider action.  Such are the mysteries of software & hardware.

Arlen

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 01:13:39 pm »

You might try creating a new catalog (while keeping your existing one), importing a few photos, and seeing if it still happens. If not, then that points to something wrong with your current catalog, as opposed to something else.

mbaginy

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 02:39:48 pm »

You might try creating a new catalog (while keeping your existing one), importing a few photos, and seeing if it still happens. If not, then that points to something wrong with your current catalog, as opposed to something else.
Arlen, I'll try most anything at this point in time.  I'll be out photographing over the weekend and import to a new catalog as a trial.  And I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 03:29:53 pm »

I have noticed that sliders aren't as smooth as I would like. Also when the new de-haze feature is used, the WB slider acts exactly as you described.
I realize you were talking about exposure, but still, its acting up.
I tried with and without GPU acceleration. No change.
I can say that Capture 1 is much much smoother than LR as far as adjustments. It also renders well.
However, it does have performance issues in the catalog section and their support is all but non-existant.
If we could just combine the two........
BTW
I'm on a Mac Pro 2012
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB
Catalog and Application on 512 SSD Drive.
Original photos on an additional 1Tb drive.

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 10:40:50 am »

I've noticed this problem with the exposure slider in LR CC 2015. I will try disabling the GPU (wasn't a problem before though).

mbaginy

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 02:21:01 pm »

Well don't ask me why or how, because I haven't a clue.  But it seems, LR6.1 performance is back to normal.  What did I do?  I shut down my iMac for two days and now started it again to import some photos I had taken Friday evening.  Suddenly LR's reactions were as they should be.

Following my disabling the GPU acceleration, I had rebooted the computer but had found no improvement - the rough slider control persisted.  And now, that odd phenomenon seems to have disappeared.  Do computers need more time to rest than a quick reboot?  Does angry shouting at a computer sometimes remedy the situation?  In that case, I've got a Pentax M42 mount 50/1.4 which is buggered up and I'm ready to throw out!

Strange things happen and, while I'd like to understand the reasons, I won't fiddle with any further settings.  GPU is deactivated and will remain so.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions and advice.

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 07:52:21 pm »

I'm glad to hear that things are back to normal, Mike.  Computers are complex systems and some times ^&*% happens then magically is cured.   ;D
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 05:04:07 am »

You're write, Ron.  The darndest things happen.  And just now, the sliders in Exposure module began with their sticky behavior again.  Not constantly but every now and then.  I seldom watch the slider of number value when moving one, I view the image.  Telltale sign is, when nothing happens in the image - until I pull the slider extremely to one side.

I'm at a loss and will simply use LR6.1 until I give up due to frustration.  Maybe LR has been too packed with features in their recent versions.  The software is becoming what I hate in most digital camera bodies - crowded with junk I don't need.  Of course manufacturers need to satisfy the crowd who will never appreciate refinements under the hood.  "What!  A new version, and it looks like the old?!!  We're being screwed!!"  Somewhat like the annual new cars of yesteryear - same old chassis, just new trim.  What a silly waste!

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 10:44:11 am »

Mike, I understand.  We reward Adobe for producing useful features.  Rarely do we get it through to them that performance is a often a feature that they should attend to.  That said, Apple is the same way.  The next release of Mac OS X, El Capitan, is promised to be streamlined and provide significant performance enhancements.  Adobe's support of the GPU wasn't their idea alone.  Apple mentions this as well and it's quite possible that Lr will perform significantly better this fall with El Capitan.  Beta testers should give us hints as we approach release.

In the meantime we look for ways to get acceptable performance from what we have.  I noticed the other night that performance in the Develop Module slowed and became herky-jerky.  It improved when I stopped the Time Machine backup that was going on. 
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 12:05:29 pm »

Ron, your comments on El Capitan sound promising.  Streamlining would be great.  So I'll hope for the best and see if LR performance improves.  I've learned not to have processor-intensive actions running while using LR or CS6.  Don't want to task my aged iMac too much.  I'm somewhat aged too, so I understand.  ;)

I hope Apple allows for larger images in their Contacts software.  Those tiny, round images are absolutely silly!  I wonder who at Apple thought, that was a good idea!

Thanks for your comments!

pegelli

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 03:04:07 am »

Mike, sorry to hear the odd behavior is back  ???

Maybe one other straw to clench. When did you do the update? I read in another thread that some of the downloads on the first day they were available were incomplete or faulty. Maybe you can roll back to 6.0, remove any update downloads and then update again to 6.1 with a new download and see if that cures your problem.
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up