Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Seminar  (Read 10055 times)

Pelao

Lightroom Seminar
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:01:41 am »

FYI

Last night I attended Michael Reichmann's Lightroom seminar. I suspect that later in the development cycle, or perhaps after release he will hold new seminars. I recommend you attend if possible.

I find LR intuitive and easy to explore. In addition, there are plenty of blogs, articles, tutorials and forums from which to gain knowledge. Still, spending a few hours seeing the application worked through by someone closely involved in it's development was very worthwhile.

During the demo MR discovered a few bugs and took note of requests for additional features. He was at pains to point out that if we have requests we should put them directly to the development team. I joked that they were more likely to listen to him, but he's right -if you look at the forums suggestions are rapidly answered and debated by the developers. This is a new one for me in terms of major application development by a large concern such as Adobe.

There is a long way to go until release, but it's looking good.

Interestingly, MR mentioned that he rarely uses PS now, and when he does it is mostly for plug-ins such as PKS. So as of Beta 2 LR is his main DAM tool, editing tool, printing tool etc.

thomas_moran

Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 12:00:35 pm »

FYI

Last night I attended Michael Reichmann's Lightroom seminar. I suspect that later in the development cycle, or perhaps after release he will hold new seminars. I recommend you attend if possible.

I find LR intuitive and easy to explore. In addition, there are plenty of blogs, articles, tutorials and forums from which to gain knowledge. Still, spending a few hours seeing the application worked through by someone closely involved in it's development was very worthwhile.

During the demo MR discovered a few bugs and took note of requests for additional features. He was at pains to point out that if we have requests we should put them directly to the development team. I joked that they were more likely to listen to him, but he's right -if you look at the forums suggestions are rapidly answered and debated by the developers. This is a new one for me in terms of major application development by a large concern such as Adobe.

There is a long way to go until release, but it's looking good.

Interestingly, MR mentioned that he rarely uses PS now, and when he does it is mostly for plug-ins such as PKS. So as of Beta 2 LR is his main DAM tool, editing tool, printing tool etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I attend the afternoon seminar and I have to say it was the best $60 I've spend on photography in a long time. I learned so much about how lightroom works as a whole and by the time I left I couldn't wait to get home and start really working with it. I downloaded the trial when it first came out and was having trouble getting my head around how to work with it in an efficient manner (not adobes fault, just my own stupidness getting in the way). Michael did a really good job of walking us through the program and showing us how much potential this program really has. I can firmly say that lightroom even in its beta forum is going to make the way I work and organize my files so much easier. I hope Michael does a couple more of these in future.

thomas_moran

Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 12:20:10 pm »

Michael, yesterday during the seminar you mentioned something about the "Capture sharpening" default of 25 being as good as another programs (I think it was nik sharpener but I can't remember). I was under the impression that you should only sharpen an image once and thats when your ready for the final output. Clearly this seems to not be the case, can you please explain or point me to an article?

Thomas

canlogic

• http://
Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 12:52:41 pm »

Michael, yesterday during the seminar you mentioned something about the "Capture sharpening" default of 25 being as good as another programs (I think it was nik sharpener but I can't remember). I was under the impression that you should only sharpen an image once and thats when your ready for the final output. Clearly this seems to not be the case, can you please explain or point me to an article?

Thomas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58305\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kind of like Photokit Sharpener where you do sharpening in 3 stages. Capture sharpen then creative sharpening and finaly output sharpening. I wish this type of flow was in lightroom that and a decent noise reduction system.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

macgyver

Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 01:42:33 pm »

I second the noise reduction.  I really hope that that whole plug in thing comes through so I can get a Noise Ninja plug in for it.  With that, the app would be near perfect.

Oh, that and a speed bump.  A substantial one.

Pelao

Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 02:51:46 pm »

I second the noise reduction.  I really hope that that whole plug in thing comes through so I can get a Noise Ninja plug in for it.  With that, the app would be near perfect.

Oh, that and a speed bump.  A substantial one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58318\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's interesting: are there particular aspects of LR that you find slow, or is it the whole app? What Mac are you running it on? How many images?

I find it interesting because forums are all over the place on this: some find it fast, others slow. I suppose another factor is that it depends on what you were using before.

macgyver

Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:30:16 pm »

Lets see, right now I've got just over 10,000 photos in it.  I find it to be rather slow, almost to the point of not being useable.  I think the Library modual is the slowest by far.  Develop isn't too bad, but still somewhat sluggish.

I'm running it on a Powerbook with 1.67 CPU, 1 gig of ram.  More ram would help I imagine, but that's down the list after a new body and new telephoto.

It's interesting you said that, I had been wondering how many other users felt it was too slow.

macgyver

Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 03:31:08 pm »

Oh, and by the way, I think that it was faster before the 1.1 patch.  Havent used 2 enough yet.

Pelao

Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 10:36:16 am »

Lets see, right now I've got just over 10,000 photos in it.  I find it to be rather slow, almost to the point of not being useable.  I think the Library modual is the slowest by far.  Develop isn't too bad, but still somewhat sluggish.

I'm running it on a Powerbook with 1.67 CPU, 1 gig of ram.  More ram would help I imagine, but that's down the list after a new body and new telephoto.

It's interesting you said that, I had been wondering how many other users felt it was too slow.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58325\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The speed is a big thing isn't it? That's a top of the line PowerBook (excepting the new MacBook). Sure you could add another GB of RAM, but it should at least run OK on that machine.

The hardware requirements for Aperture are way out of line. I certainly hope that by the time LR ships it is optimized to run smoothly on hte most commonly used machines, not just the top ones. I have high hopes that it will because unlike Aperture it does not require enormous graphics or processing power.

On my iMac it runs fine, but then I have not dumped a huge amount of images in there yet.

canlogic

• http://
Lightroom Seminar
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 12:14:58 pm »

The hardware requirements for Aperture are way out of line. I certainly hope that by the time LR ships it is optimized to run smoothly on hte most commonly used machines, not just the top ones. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I run it and Aperture on my 2.1 iMac and find they both run well. Right now Aperture is doing more things when you do anything to an image (version etc.) so it appears slower sometimes. The only thing I find a bit slow on Aperture is importing off of cf cards. I guess alot of people are pissed that you need up to date hardware but sometimes that is just a fact especially with graphics files. I needed an $1800 card for my work station (now probably $300) for certain software.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,
Pages: [1]   Go Up