Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 75-150 D HELP!  (Read 708 times)

jojo204

Mamiya 75-150 D HELP!
« on: June 14, 2015, 03:44:19 am »

Hey guys

So I took delivery for a Mamiya 75-150 D lens today from a dealer and my heart dropped as I watched the guy bring the box up. I immediately saw the box took some damage. I reluctantly still accepted it as I actually got it shipped to my hotel in another city I'm shooting in. The delivery guy noted the damage when I signed for it and waited for me to open up the box and inspect it. It looked OK and I quickly slapped it on my camera to test it out. Took a couple shots but couldn't really tell how it was, as shooting at iso 400-800 on a credo looks bad regardless.

So after finishing checking in and headed to my room I did a full inspection on the body and glass. Then gave it a little shake. I can hear a little rattle.  Ugh!

I then set up some lights and did some more test tethered now.  To me it's a little soft. Unfortunately the only thing thing I can compare it too is the 80LS which is super sharp compared to it. I'm also not hitting consistant focus the majority of the time with AF. I'm getting maybe 60/40. With focus recompose it's even worse. 97% of my portrait work is focus/recompose. With MF it's fine. Just not that tack tack sharpness I'm use to with my 80LS. It's more of that film softness to it if you know what I mean

So for any of you out there with this lense can you do me a favor and give it a little shake and tell me if it's suppose to give a little rattle.  Also is focus/recompose with this lense really difficult to attain critical focus on the eye, especially hand held. Is it something I just have to get use too doing?

Sorry it's a novel just a bit distraught over the whole situation as I got it from a reputable dealer at a phenomenal price. I don't want to have to return it as I'm afraid I won't get another one close to the price I paid.

Thanks for any advice
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:50:59 am by jojo204 »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Mamiya 75-150 D HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:21:49 am »

I have the Mamiya version of this lens, not the Phase One D, but in the NON LS versions, they are the same, and I believe the same even in the LS version.  No I don't believe anything should be me moving around.  This lens is a beast, heavy and solid.  More than likely part of the focus gearing or motor has broken if you are not seeing anything in the lens. 

Mine with a DF+ hit on usually the 1st time, my older DF needed the 1,2 3 hits on the shutter release.  But I am not working in studio and my subject matter is usually a long way off when using this lens. 

Hope the dealer steps up and takes it back, and you don't get into the shipping company damage finger pointing issues that I have been working around lately.

One other point, this lens needs to have the latest firmware installed in the lens to get the best AF.  The dealer should have updated it but you might have them check.  The Firmware has to be updated via a DF+ with a V grip installed and there is a way to have the DF or DF+ or what ever camera body show the lens firmware, I just can't remember how.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jojo204

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:59:07 pm »

Thanks Paul for the reply. We're you able to actually pull the lens out and give it a little shake. Mine has a very little rattle but it's definitely there.  I don't have access to a vgrip right now so I can't do the updates. I know for sure my DF+ is one update behind. I'll double check the firmware on the lens. Do you know what the latest is

Let me know.

Thanks
Update
DF+ FW: 2.2.3
Lens FW: 0.3.0
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:08:03 pm by jojo204 »

jojo204

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 12:58:20 am »

Can any one with this lens give it a little shake for me.  I dont want to take to long to find out as the claim or return window gets closer.\

Let me know guys

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up