Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10D or Digital Rebel XT  (Read 6016 times)

GeneGene

10D or Digital Rebel XT
« on: February 15, 2006, 05:38:31 pm »

I am thinking about buying either a 10D or a Rebel XT from BHPHotovideo.com. Could anyone give some comments about which I should buy?

Thanks

GeneGene

jeffreyluce

• http://
10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:12:51 pm »

If those were my ONLY two options.... I would go with the Rebel XT.... newer & more pixels.
Jeffrey Luce

bob mccarthy

• http://
10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 06:13:10 pm »

The 10D I briefly had was the slowest camera I've experienced short of a P&S. Slow to startup, slow to wake up and went to sleep often to save the battery. Other than that, it was well built and generally a fine camera. Canon solved the issues with the 20D I understand. If the XT is the newer generation camera that solved the issues mentioned above, I would say it's a recommended camera.

bob
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 06:13:56 pm by bob mccarthy »

AdrianW

10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:38:35 am »

DR XT, definitely.

I have a  10D - and the 2.5 second startup delay is a killer. It's lower resolution too. I also think the DR XT controls image noise better. Based on my experience with my brother's unit anyway...

My suggestion - try them both if you can. The only real advantages of the 10D are ISO3200 (DR XT is only 1600), and the 10D is more solidly built.

Milutin Labudovic

10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 03:33:13 pm »

another vote for xt, 10d is bad news. broke for 4th time, slow....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 03:33:38 pm by Milutin Labudovic »
<want to feed on photons>

oldcsar

10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 03:53:21 pm »

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

10D RAW write speed:
1.393MB/sec

XT RAW write speed:
6.263MB/sec

The values were simply taken from the highest performing cards in Rob Galbraith's CF database. Some of the slowest CF cards tested for the XT are close to the 10D's best performing cards, check them yourself.

The bottom line is that the XT is able to utilize the new write acceleration technologies, while the 10D isn't very capable of doing so.

Take the XT.
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

DarkPenguin

10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 04:19:11 pm »

How do the viewfinders compare?

My 300D was like looking through a picture window.  Specifically like looking through a dirty picture window at night with the blinds closed after having my eyes pecked from my head by demonic ravenous chickens.

The 20D is much better by comparison.

I'm not sure how the XT's and 10D's viewfinders compare.

giles

10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 07:17:32 pm »

Nobody has mentioned yet, but the Rebel XT has the option of using EF-S lenses, which the 10D doesn't. I think I'd choose the Rebel XT if I could cope with the small size, the small viewfinder, and the lack of the rear control wheel.

A second hand 20D would be very tempting instead of either, IMHO.

Giles

pchaplo

• Marfa Flights book and exhibit
10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 10:01:49 pm »

Agreed : a second hand 20D for about $1000 US is a great way to go.

On the other hand, a used 300D is an amazing value, and the image quality is surprising - I would start with a 300D for about $600 US with the kit lens. You can make amazing images with the 300D, and the nice big pixels mean low noise levels. It is the best way to enter digital imo. The LCD is very bright! Easy controls to learn! Highly recommended!

I just sold two 300D's for $550 each with kit lenses and batteries. Scour the forums - there are many for sale at great prices!

Paul
Wishing You Great Light!

macgyver

10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 10:10:51 pm »

I love my 300D, except for the lack of servo focus and the fact that it's buffer is all of 4 frames.  and the whole 15 minute start up time. (2 or 3 seconds, but it feels the same)  XT is a great camera for the price though.

oldcsar

10D or Digital Rebel XT
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 11:27:48 pm »

I have a 300D as well. The hacked firmware really makes this camera worthwhile, since you get ISO 3200, other options, and mirror lock.... and there are several second timers that you can use with it, starting at 1.5 seconds! The only thing is that you need to suck it up and risk turning your camera into a paperweight, but I've had no problems with mine. With the a hacked 300d, you could afford some really nice lenses for it.

Also, from what I hear, the 20d and XT image quality isn't a significant improvement from the 10D/300d, it's only a matter of more megapixels, slightly better in-camera noise reduction... and faster RAW write speeds.

20D would be the best as far as build and general performance, but strictly speaking of XT or used 10D, I repeat my suggestion for the XT!

Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke
Pages: [1]   Go Up