Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: staircase  (Read 2216 times)

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9264
    • site
staircase
« on: June 12, 2015, 02:48:36 pm »

Thoughts?

Jeremy
Logged

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18209
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: staircase
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:25 pm »

I think the idea is fine, just a little too busy and broad-daylightish. Perhaps a silhouetted human figure might have helped?

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9264
    • site
Re: staircase
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:06:46 pm »

I think the idea is fine, just a little too busy and broad-daylightish. Perhaps a silhouetted human figure might have helped?

Thanks, Slobodan. I see what you mean. I like the shadow, which is (obviously) difficult to see in other than direct sunshine, and we don't get a lot of that in Manchester. I'll try again, perhaps: it's a fairly busy station entrance, so getting a figure or two in shot shouldn't be awfully difficult.

Jeremy
Logged

Kerry L

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 177
Re: staircase
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:34:58 am »

Agree with Slobodan's comments.
Also I wonder about cropping down to just below the 3rd set of steps to make it a bit less busy top left.

Nice colour though.

Kerry
Logged
"Try and let your mind see more than you

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2810
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: staircase
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »

Agree with Slobodan's comments.
Also I wonder about cropping down to just below the 3rd set of steps to make it a bit less busy top left.

Nice colour though.

Kerry

Agreed - you don't actually need the ground. In fact, the concept might be stronger without it.
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18209
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: staircase
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 01:17:11 pm »

There are several interpretations possible:

Kerry L

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 177
Re: staircase
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 01:42:58 pm »

There are several interpretations possible:



Yes indeed. Certainly with a person/people

Kerry
Logged
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: staircase
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 03:12:09 pm »

I vote for Slobodan version 2.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9264
    • site
Re: staircase
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »

Thanks, Slobodan: food for thought. Unusually for me, I'd not really thought about monochrome as it's the garish colours which draw my eye each day, but it's an interesting take.

Jeremy
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14435
Re: staircase
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 04:47:23 am »

I also like the bright colors but Slobodan's second version is the cleanest/less busy.
Logged
Francois

sdwilsonsct

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3312
Re: staircase
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 11:27:15 am »

I think omitting the ground increases the abstraction and energy.

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: staircase
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 01:32:11 pm »

I think Slobodan's got the answer. B&W turns it into an abstraction. Good shooting, Jeremy.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: staircase
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 01:28:29 am »

I vote for Slobodan version 2.

Agreed.

I like the subject. You may want to revisit it and take pictures of it in different lighting and weather conditions. It would be too easy to put a beautiful young woman into the scene. I think the picture needs to show three, rather than two, stairways. Maybe climb up a tall step ladder or use a shift lens to avoid a whacky perspective.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:38:13 am by BobDavid »
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up