Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r II for 4k Video  (Read 29545 times)

Pete Berry

Re: Sony A7r II for 4k Video
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 12:59:14 pm »

This is a single instance report.

Yes, it is known that the A7RII can overheat, particularly in warm conditions and when shooting long continuous takes.

I have been shooting 4K video with an A7rII since the camera was announced and have never had overheating. Another one instance report.

I'd simply add that these cameras are for occasional use shooting video, not for filming long single take events such as a football game or a concert.

In any event, for serious filming applications something like the new Sony FS5 would be a better choice.

Michael

Another report from London in August - not exactly Baghdad - due to the double-edged sword of the mag-lev 5-axis IBIS that prevents sensor fixation to a heat sink, and a body too small to accommodate a fan system. Which no doubt explains why Olympus has no 4K in it's otherwise exemplary bodies, and why Pan.'s GX8 inactivates it's less effective IBIS in 4K mode...

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/08/02/sony-a7r-ii-part-iii-5-axis-stabilisation-and-heat-issues-going-handheld-to-tell-the-story-of-a-london-busker/

Pete

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 10:02:41 am »

Hi,

I would agree on the issue being a single instance report. Obviously it can happen, under certain conditions. In many cases it helps to flip out the LCD for better cooling.

But, as Michael points out, the A7rII is not intended to be used as a video camera. Video is just a bonus option. Now, I would say it is a real bonus. I often present my images as slide shows, which today often means video showing stills. Adding motion enhances the slide show.

So, I would say the video capability is a real bonus and the A7rII does that better than most full frame DSLRs.

But, if the main focus is motion, a motion camera may be the better option.

And just to say, for the f/8 and be there stuff, nothing beats an iPhone except perhaps an Android based phone :-)

Best regards
Erik

This is a single instance report.

Yes, it is known that the A7RII can overheat, particularly in warm conditions and when shooting long continuous takes.

I have been shooting 4K video with an A7rII since the camera was announced and have never had overheating. Another one instance report.

I'd simply add that these cameras are for occasional use shooting video, not for filming long single take events such as a football game or a concert.

In any event, for serious filming applications something like the new Sony FS5 would be a better choice.

Michael
Erik Kaffehr

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 05:01:48 pm »

My videographer partner is using his A7S-2 today to do work at a trade show. The one problem he is having is with scrolling on monitors in the backgrounds of the shots. He needs variable shutter speeds to fine tune the scrolling out but they don't exist on that camera. Another situation where a dedicated video cam might have been a better choice.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 03:52:00 pm »

My videographer partner is using his A7S-2 today to do work at a trade show. The one problem he is having is with scrolling on monitors in the backgrounds of the shots. He needs variable shutter speeds to fine tune the scrolling out but they don't exist on that camera. Another situation where a dedicated video cam might have been a better choice.

FS7 has loads of shutter speeds in ECLS mode - certainly done jobs where the FS7 handled the screens and the b cam (7d2) could not.

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 10:16:24 am »

You guys are all looking for the shmoo.

Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself — either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. (Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.)
They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled, grade-A), and butter—no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timber, depending on how thick you slice it.
They have no bones, so there's absolutely no waste. Their eyes make the best suspender buttons, and their whiskers make perfect toothpicks. In short, they are simply the perfect ideal of a subsistence agricultural herd animal.
Naturally gentle, they require minimal care, and are ideal playmates for young children. The frolicking of shmoon is so entertaining (such as their staged "shmoosical comedies") that people no longer feel the need to watch television or go to the movies.

I think your chances of finding a universal camera this year are about equivalent to my chances of seeing Christmas shopping crowds in the Paris streets. Sorry about the joke, but when Providence gives you lemons you drink lemonade.

Edmund

All I can say is if your going Sony A7RII is to rent and test or make a agreement with the dealer for return if you don't like it.

I personally am underwhelmed by the A7sII I bought and honestly in the same scene, same lighting, same conditions, the 70d held more detail throughout the range with the only drawback is the 70d is line skipped 2k the Sony is  uhd.

The A7rII might make better motion imagery than the S so  . . .

Once again, before you drop into the new system world of lenses, bodies, cages etc., rent one, shoot under the conditions you would normally shoot, grade and look at the footage.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:25:35 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up