Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom versus iView MediaPro?  (Read 11778 times)

gryffyn

• http://www.tarafrost.com
Lightroom versus iView MediaPro?
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:12:58 am »

Just curious as to how the Lightroom beta stacks up against iView's MediaPro DAM solution.

Is it in the realm of possibility that Lightroom could supplant ivmp as the 800 lb gorilla of the DAM world?

Should I wait for a Lightroom beta on Windoze or bite the bullet and buy ivmp now?

Any/all insights much appreciated.  Thanks!
.....Andrzej

Pelao

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 04:22:05 pm »

Just curious as to how the Lightroom beta stacks up against iView's MediaPro DAM solution.

Is it in the realm of possibility that Lightroom could supplant ivmp as the 800 lb gorilla of the DAM world?

Should I wait for a Lightroom beta on Windoze or bite the bullet and buy ivmp now?

Any/all insights much appreciated.  Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
Are you a pro with many thousands of images? Do you store and need to access many different types of images? IVMP is a very powerful app, but perhaps beyond the needs of many photographers.

Lightroom will do the stuff Bridge does now for photographers, plus most of your image editing.

I would do what you are doing now - ask around, plus examine your needs carefully. IVMP is a very good app, but expensive and it may be overkill.

Just found this from a post Michael made on another thread:

"And when you then add printing capability with the power of a RIP (in terms of layout), a slide show, keywording, cataloging, archiving etc. By the time it comes out as a shipping product this fall Lightroom will provide in one program the most important features of Photo Mechanic for file ingesting, Camera Raw for raw processing, Iview Media Pro for cataloging, the ability to apply raw control equivalents to non-raw files, superior printing and on and on and.... all in one program."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 04:27:00 pm by Pelao »

gryffyn

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 08:20:52 pm »

Yup...I have many thousands of images I need catalogued so I can find stuff quickly, which is why I was interested in ivmp.  As for the cost, it's less than $200 US so I consider it pretty inexpensive.  I doubt that Lightroom will be cheaper...and most likely based on Adobe's other pricing history will be double that of ivmp.

Michael's comments are interesting.  I may invest in ivmp for now, and re-evaluate Lightroom when they get around to doing a windows release.  Since ivmp can export data in XML format, and I have much skill in doing XML manipulation (using XSLT and other tools), if Lightroom has any reasonable XML import capability (which would be a huge oversight if it didn't) then converting in the future wouldn't be a big deal to me.

I don't need yet another image editor, since Nikon Capture and PS CS2/Bridge/ACR work just fine for my workflow.  I'm just looking at adding a powerful keywording/cataloging function to the mix.

I also don't especially like apps that ingest my images into a proprietary database which , if memory serves, Lightroom does.  I like my images to just live on my OS filesystem where I put 'em since then I'm not tied to a single application or forced to do constant exports.

Thanks for the input....sounds like Lightroom will be worth a look see when the Windoze version comes out.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:26:20 pm by gryffyn »
.....Andrzej

Pelao

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 11:01:25 pm »

I also don't especially like apps that ingest my images into a proprietary database which , if memory serves, Lightroom does. I like my images to just live on my OS filesystem where I put 'em since then I'm not tied to a single application or forced to do constant exports.

LR offers the option of using existing files, or keeping the images within the LR library.

gryffyn

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:02:05 am »

LR offers the option of using existing files, or keeping the images within the LR library.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=58265\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't know that....thanks!
.....Andrzej

gryffyn

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 02:40:53 pm »

My copy of LLVJ#14 is on it's way (according to the email I got late last week), so I'm going to hold off on ordering ivmp until I can view Michael's Lightroom tutorial.  That should let me know if it's worth waiting for a Windoze beta and eventual final release, or whether it makes sense to invest the time/effort (money is incidental) in ivmp.

Stay tuned!
.....Andrzej

gryffyn

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 01:56:55 pm »

I bit the bullet and licensed ivmp the other day.

Though Lightroom looks very interesting, it's still too early in the beta cycle to see what kind of support might be offered for small workgroup sharing of catalogues, whereas ivmp has this with their Reader application, which will suit my needs.

That and with no insight into when a Windows beta might surface, I couldn't wait any longer, needing to get started on cataloguing all my images before the task gets unmanageable (if it isn't already   )

I'll check out Lightroom when the Windows beta is released and will re-evaluate then, based on small workgroup support, import/export of XML metadata and the like.
.....Andrzej

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 09:19:57 am »

I have something of the same quandary, having just bought IVMP 3.x. I shoot nearly all MF film, and my cataloging system is keyword-based. IVMP's speedy searches and catalog sets are the two features I have come to like the most.

If and when (I hope the latter, the Finance Committee/wife willing) I am shooting more digital, I can imagine a workflow in which Lightroom does the ingesting, preliminary/bulk image manipulation, and basic metadata addition. I'd then open IVMP and do any further more extensive cataloging / keywording, assigning catalog sets, etc. This assuming that Lightroom lets you embed metadata into TIFF's, or that IVMP will read metadata assigned by LR.
michael sebast
Pages: [1]   Go Up