Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bidding a fond farewell!  (Read 144007 times)

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
Bidding a fond farewell!
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:42:57 am »

Fond but bittersweet.  I'll lurk around for awhile, but I've decided to no longer contribute to this forum.  It seems that, no matter the topic or what you have to say, there are sufficient numbers who will jump in just to argue the opposite point.  One either responds and continues the arguments or, as I choose to do, leave.  It's too tiresome.

AlterEgo

Re: Bidding a fond farewell!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 02:10:08 pm »

Fond but bittersweet.  I'll lurk around for awhile, but I've decided to no longer contribute to this forum.  It seems that, no matter the topic or what you have to say, there are sufficient numbers who will jump in just to argue the opposite point.  One either responds and continues the arguments or, as I choose to do, leave.  It's too tiresome.
RIP.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:09:05 pm »

RIP.

I am never sure how to respond to these type of threads.  If a person is not enjoying visiting a site, then stop visiting it.  I don't understand these "farewell" posts.  I wonder if they secretly want people to beg them not to go. 

I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:42:54 pm »

I found it ironic that rip wanted to leave for sins, ascribed to others, which he commits himself. But, whatever. I haven't got rip on ignore, so I have no beef with him.

Have fun out there, man.

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:19:33 pm »

One either responds and continues the arguments or, as I choose to do, leave.  It's too tiresome.

For example: without leaving, one might pick & choose which comments one wishes to respond to and which comments one wishes to ignore - if one can hold one's tongue :-)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:04:04 pm by Isaac »

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 05:16:57 am »

but I've decided to no longer contribute to this forum. 
I guess this means you're thinking you made some valuable contribution.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

stamper

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 05:43:34 am »

He is probably correct but then again possibly not? One of the things you have to put up with on a forum. It is impossible to work out the sincerity of some of the posts and there are some very skill full trolls on here. The problem is where to go to. Rob C "retired" a few times from the forum and returned but I think he has finally "retired" :(

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 06:01:18 am »

Fond but bittersweet.  I'll lurk around for awhile, but I've decided to no longer contribute to this forum.  It seems that, no matter the topic or what you have to say, there are sufficient numbers who will jump in just to argue the opposite point.  One either responds and continues the arguments or, as I choose to do, leave.  It's too tiresome.

Why is that a problem for you?  You aren't required to post your answer twice.

Seems you were caught by the same virus, so a quarantine might do you good for a while.  ;)

Happy shooting!
pieter, aka pegelli

spidermike

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 07:14:41 am »

Given the title of the forum this was posted in, I am guessing it is all a ruse dressed up as 'performance art' where the reactions themselves become the 'art'. Perhaps RIP will  not take a screenshot of the discussion and sell A1 prints for $100,000?

Iluvmycam

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 09:24:48 am »

Hell, just post your stuff and let it fly. No reason to leave.

(nsfw)

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/opinions-are-like-assholes-everyones-got-one/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 10:35:07 am »

Hell, just post your stuff and let it fly. No reason to leave...

Biting my tongue ;)

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 04:40:22 pm »

There's always the "ignore this poster" feature on LuLa. I've had that done to me. It really does get pretty juvenile around here that I just have to laugh it off.

I even wished I could find out how many contributors have me on "ignore" status so I'll know whether it's worth posting anything, but then I forget the lurkers who might benefit from my contributions. I know when I go to the trouble of uploading an image to support what I'm talking about and notice the low number of its view compared to the larger numbers of the overall thread that that might be an indication I'm on quite a few contributor's ignore list.

I know Andrew Rodney (DigitalDog) doesn't have me on ignore from all the back and forth exchanges we've had these many years although sometimes I wish he would. It does get really tiresome. Ain't that right, AlterEgo?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:55:59 pm »

I really need to leave too but just so I have more time to shoot and do other things.  Hanging around forums are addicting and time wasters.  I'm getting my fix right now.

AlterEgo

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 05:18:56 pm »

Gulag

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 11:12:58 pm »

But every sentence is an argument, isn't it? 
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 01:21:54 am »

It seems that, no matter the topic or what you have to say, there are sufficient numbers who will jump in just to argue the opposite point.

That is the result of social discourse. If you choose to disengage, that's fine. But you loose the stimulation of idea exchange....who is the looser when you disengage? You. The key to engaging here on LuLa is to be very choosy when and where you engage. And have a think skin when you engage else, you feel the burn.

CASpyr

• Online portfolio
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 07:34:30 am »

That is the result of social discourse. If you choose to disengage, that's fine. But you loose the stimulation of idea exchange....who is the looser when you disengage? You. The key to engaging here on LuLa is to be very choosy when and where you engage. And have a think skin when you engage else, you feel the burn.
Scary forum, with folks so smart thinking even with their skin... ;D
[Trying to grow some thick skin quickly now]
Christian Spyr - cspyr.zenfolio.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 05:51:22 pm »

One of the great things about people arguing "the opposite point" is that unless you have a mind that's slammed shut you often learn new things.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 05:17:47 pm »

One of the great things about people arguing "the opposite point" is that unless you have a mind that's slammed shut you often learn new things.
Saved me some typing there you two.  ;D
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up