Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 6 slowed down by massive file and adjustments  (Read 3902 times)

Jglaser757

LR 6 slowed down by massive file and adjustments
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:16:52 pm »

I am using LR 6 on an new iMac with 32 gab ram and I5 core.
The image was a pano stitched from three 36 mb files from a D810.
After a massive amount of adjustments using the radial tool and other tools in LR, I began to see a extreme amount of slow down and the software program even started to act funny. Never seen anything like it. I did a diagnostic check using apples program and another third party program to check the Ram chips. They were fine.

Any explanations.

P.S.  I did same adjustments using Photoshop and never ran into issues with new computer.

It actually reminded me of the slow down issues of LR5

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Re: LR 6 slowed down by massive file and adjustments
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:23:40 pm »

I am using LR 6 on an new iMac with 32 gab ram and I5 core.
The image was a pano stitched from three 36 mb files from a D810.
After a massive amount of adjustments using the radial tool and other tools in LR, I began to see a extreme amount of slow down and the software program even started to act funny. Never seen anything like it. I did a diagnostic check using apples program and another third party program to check the Ram chips. They were fine.

Any explanations.

P.S.  I did same adjustments using Photoshop and never ran into issues with new computer.

It actually reminded me of the slow down issues of LR5

I am using a MacBook Retina 15" (June 2012) i7 2.6 with 16GB Ram and notices the same issues with LR CC. Processed 4 files 36mb from the Sony A7r with the pano merge and the system slows down to a craw. After the merge is finish and then trying to edit via LR with just the Spot Tool is extremely slow. It takes anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds for each spot repare. With all that said even trying to process a sigle image from the A7r it has always been slow. I constantly get the spinning ball. Been trying out Capture One Pro 8.3 and that program has no issues processing large images from the A7r. Also viewing the thumbnails is extremely fast with C1 compared to LR. Go figure.

Stu

Jglaser757

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 06:48:46 am »

So, this kinda confirms what I thought. The files are just too big for LR to handle. I do love the Pano merge though. It is really good, easy and simple.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:27:09 am »

I am using a MacBook Retina 15" (June 2012) i7 2.6 with 16GB Ram and notices the same issues with LR CC. Processed 4 files 36mb from the Sony A7r with the pano merge and the system slows down to a craw. After the merge is finish and then trying to edit via LR with just the Spot Tool is extremely slow. It takes anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds for each spot repare. With all that said even trying to process a sigle image from the A7r it has always been slow. I constantly get the spinning ball. Been trying out Capture One Pro 8.3 and that program has no issues processing large images from the A7r. Also viewing the thumbnails is extremely fast with C1 compared to LR. Go figure.

Hi Stu,

Not that it was designed to do so, but I was wondering, can Capture One read the LR6 DNG pano format? I know Adobe calls it Raw, but DGN is just a wrapper for all sorts of data that C1 may not understand.

If it could read it as DNG (which is not all that well supported in C1) that might help, otherwise export as TIFF and use C1 for corrections that LR has difficulty with due to size, or due to functional implementation (like C1's Color Balance controls for color grading of highlights, midtones and shadows, which can be very useful in panos).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:32:01 am »

So, this kinda confirms what I thought. The files are just too big for LR to handle. I do love the Pano merge though. It is really good, easy and simple.

I don't know what you mean by a "massive" amount of adjustments, but I do not see the slowdown you are reporting. I used LR to stitch eleven 24 MP files from a D600. The merge took a little while, but once the pano was created the LR develop tools were as responsive as ever even after I had applied several dozen adjustments. I am using LR CC on Windows with 24 MB  RAM and an i7 processor.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 09:48:51 am »

Hi Stu,

Not that it was designed to do so, but I was wondering, can Capture One read the LR6 DNG pano format? I know Adobe calls it Raw, but DGN is just a wrapper for all sorts of data that C1 may not understand.

If it could read it as DNG (which is not all that well supported in C1) that might help, otherwise export as TIFF and use C1 for corrections that LR has difficulty with due to size, or due to functional implementation (like C1's Color Balance controls for color grading of highlights, midtones and shadows, which can be very useful in panos).

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,

Just imported the Pano DNG (643mb) and a Tiff (694mb) version into C1 8.3. Both imported with no issues. Did some editing including using the Spot Removal Tool and worked without hesitation (no spinning ball). Also used the Color Balance controls along with using the Layer Feature in C1 with no issues. I am just about convinced that C1 is more suited for working with large files. Maybe this is because C1 was originally developed to handle the Phase One camera which has large file formats. But over all it is just so much faster working on images with C1 8.3 then LR CC.

Now with all of that said I have a new MacBook Pro Retina 15" on order that was just released a couple of weeks ago with the AMD graphic card. This will be replacing my current 3 year old original Retina system. Maybe I will see a performance improvement with LR with this newer system.

Stu

Jglaser757

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 04:55:42 pm »

I think there was at least 75 different adjustments. Some were for reducing radial brushes or enhancing etc, but by the time soft proofing was done the computer was crippled.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:59:14 am »

I don't think this is a LR 6 problem ... that many adjustments I think would choke any version.

I have a lot of large stitches (stitching a MFDB), and LR does just fine, unless I start doing several  brush adjustments.  seems like once I get past about 20 I can sense it slowing down.

Just a lot of math and rendering to do. Not sure how LR is managing change, but it seems it doesn't really build on the last state but rebuilds from the raw based on the current metadata. (eric or jeff feel free to correct me on this).
Pages: [1]   Go Up