Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One XF Camera  (Read 35057 times)

amolitor

Re: Phase One XF Camera
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2015, 12:41:12 pm »

Go look at the photos in a Victoria's Secret store sometime -- creamy complexions on photos that are 9-10 feet (three meters) tall. These are not rare shots, either; if you walk through Manhattan, you'll see something like them in most stores -- thousands and thousands of large individual fashion shots.

I actually spent a little time in the local mall here, and made a point of looking at these large pictures in several stores. The vast majority of them were half tone printed at surprisingly low resolution, at some resolution quite a bit lower than (say) magazine. I'd guess it around 72dpi. The one substantially better print I found (Nike) was smaller, 20x24 or perhaps a little bigger.

I didn't see anything that couldn't have been shot with a D800.

They look *great* but the intended viewing distance is quite large and we unconsciously obey that, since you literally can't see the picture if you get up close enough to inspect the printing.

faneuil

• ESK Photography
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2015, 07:56:53 am »

BROKEN hearted! XF is not compatible with older phase backs..
Was about to pre-order.. whoops! not compatible with my beloved P65+ back.

Any chance of future compatibility upgrade?

Eric Korenman
www.korenman.com

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2015, 10:43:12 pm »

+1

And one report states that the DF+ body will be discontinued. When my ten year old AFD wears out where will my P45+ go?  I could go to the DF+ now but the AFD serves me better for my landscape work (straight forward mirror up and exposure bracketing, eg.). At 76 years of age and on a retirement income a back upgrade is not likely.

I waited several years for this XF body. Very disappointing that the P+ series is omitted. I may wind up with a $36,000 relic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:46:42 pm by Jack Varney »
Jack Varney

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2015, 08:04:54 pm »

I actually spent a little time in the local mall here, and made a point of looking at these large pictures in several stores. The vast majority of them were half tone printed at surprisingly low resolution, at some resolution quite a bit lower than (say) magazine. I'd guess it around 72dpi. The one substantially better print I found (Nike) was smaller, 20x24 or perhaps a little bigger.

I didn't see anything that couldn't have been shot with a D800.

They look *great* but the intended viewing distance is quite large and we unconsciously obey that, since you literally can't see the picture if you get up close enough to inspect the printing.

I often look at those sorts of shots in stores as the quality is so very impressive and very definitely not shot on FF sensor sizes. Occasionally you'll see one shot on FF and it's pretty obvious it's not MFDSLR. BTW I deliberately stand closer than the intended viewing distance to admire the image because the quality is usually so good. But I'm still far enough away I'm not looking at the printing quality. Being 150 or 72dpi is rarely an issue for prints that are viewed beyond hand holding distances.
Another thing I've noticed that when girlfriend is watching America's next Top Model, I can always guess if they shot the end pics on FF or MFDSLR [I rewind to check]. I was surprised at how obvious it was even on an SD CRTV.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2015, 08:22:08 pm »

I often look at those sorts of shots in stores as the quality is so very impressive and very definitely not shot on FF sensor sizes. Occasionally you'll see one shot on FF and it's pretty obvious it's not MFDSLR. BTW I deliberately stand closer than the intended viewing distance to admire the image because the quality is usually so good. But I'm still far enough away I'm not looking at the printing quality. Being 150 or 72dpi is rarely an issue for prints that are viewed beyond hand holding distances.
Another thing I've noticed that when girlfriend is watching America's next Top Model, I can always guess if they shot the end pics on FF or MFDSLR [I rewind to check]. I was surprised at how obvious it was even on an SD CRTV.

Frankly, I am surprised. I have seen 2 meters high prints made from a 16mp AA filter less Olympus OM-D, and even 50cm away they were extremely impressive. Not to say incredibly good.

I have in front of me as I type this a 1m high print from a D3x (24mp with AA filter), and it is very rich in details with my nose on the picture.

I continue to think that there may be some difference of look with MF, but a 36mp AA filter less sensor with a top lens is very clearly more than good enough for any commercial application. Per my experience, the presence of the AA filter has an important effect when upsizing in standard ways. You retain a much more crispy look without one.

Cheers,
Bernard

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2015, 01:46:58 pm »

The headline on the more recent piece ought to have been: Phase One Leaps Into 2012: Screws Existing Customers"

The camera is fine. Whatever. Deliberately blocking backward compatibility to the "P" backs is a callous, greed-driven move, that violates the trust of their existing customers, who have waited patiently for a decade for a decent body.  

So...if you want to use your 7 years old P65+....you'll have to buy a new IQ360...with a 7 year old chip in it.  Classy.  

Kind of missed that important bit in the press release article.

- N.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:56:17 pm by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Manoli

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2015, 02:16:24 pm »

So...if you want to use your 7 years old P65+....you'll have to buy a new IQ360...with a 7 year old chip in it.  Classy.

No, it'll work just fine with a DF+.
It's called product differentiation.
Think Armani v Emporio Armani, " .. and never the twain shall meet".

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2015, 02:19:04 pm »

No, it's called man I'm glad I didn't 'invest' in a P65
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

JV

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2015, 03:22:14 pm »

No, it'll work just fine with a DF+.

How much longer do you expect Phase One to keep the DF+ around?

Manoli

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2015, 04:18:29 pm »

How much longer do you expect Phase One to keep the DF+ around?

Just as long as they can keep on buying them in at $2,000 and reselling them, refurbished, together with old stock ( read: P+ backs) to any remaining suckers who haven't yet been caught in the spiders web. Great way to unload old stock. Give the punter a bargain straight up and hit him with the sting on the rebound. When they've finished unloading the old stock, that'll be the time they'll give you and 'end-of-life' notice on the whole shebang.

If you want to know what the sting is , kindly refer to the recent posts of bcooter esq., who has elucidated it better than I ever could.

BTW, my original comment was tinged with a soupçon of ironic British humour.
Should have added one of those 'rolling-eye' yellow faces ...

JV

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2015, 05:06:06 pm »

BTW, my original comment was tinged with a soupçon of ironic British humour.
Should have added one of those 'rolling-eye' yellow faces ...

Didn't catch that, sorry...  One has to admit, it would be an interesting situation if Hasselblad were to support the P+ backs longer than Phase One...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up