Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My goodnes but that scrolling UPDATES thing is really annoying  (Read 22941 times)

mbaginy

Re: My goodnes but that scrolling UPDATES thing is really annoying
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2015, 06:36:34 am »

Someone needs to tell you that you guys are doing a splendid job.
+1!!!  My favorite site!  Please keep updating and revising!  Excellent articles, outstanding contributors, a fine forum for exchanging ideas, with a wonderful wealth of knowledge.  Thanks!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:38:08 am by Mike D. B. »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2015, 08:04:48 am »

I was half joking. The other half was to point out that we are guests in the forums and while it's useful to provide feedback, we're not paying the bills and further
So who is then? Providing income for site, not literally paying the bills.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

sandymc

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2015, 08:31:28 am »

So who is then? Providing income for site, not literally paying the bills.

Well, actually, we are all paying the bills, by looking (however briefly) at the adverts on the top of the page. Which is fine by me, btw - everyone has to pay the rent somehow. The problem with the updates sections is that it looks like it's part of the content, which is a really irritating form of "advertising". And it moves!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2015, 08:46:33 am »

Well, actually, we are all paying the bills, by looking (however briefly) at the adverts on the top of the page.
Indeed, my point. We are 'customers' [for lack of a better word], not guests.
Which is fine.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2015, 08:55:30 am »

The notification now don't scroll.

Huh??? It certainly does scroll for me, at least on IE. I find it painful to try to read anything in the forum while there is something that moves once a second, non-stop. I don't mind static ads. The "UPDATES" thing would work perfectly well with the two arrows to scroll voluntarily. Alternatively, a "turn off animation" button would satisfy me.

That being said, I want to stress that almost all the other changes in the revamping of LuLa have been excellent and helpful, and the team's responsiveness to suggestions has been superb.

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2015, 09:14:44 am »

We are 'customers' [for lack of a better word], not guests.

Richard Serra, 1973: "You are the end product delivered en masse to the advertiser."

The better word is commodity.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2015, 10:00:02 am »

"We do" is a bit of an overstatement, and feedback is all too frequently in the form of whining and slamming. "My goodness, but that scrolling UPDATE thing is really annoying" is not exactly helpful feedback.

Rip, I take it you missed out the rest of my original post on purpose, to try and make your "whining and Slamming" point seem more pertinent, but if you care to read the following paragraph taken from my original post, I thought I was actually trying to give helpful feedback:

Could it not be a static banner, that lets the user choose to scroll through the list if they want to, with the left right select buttons that are also already there?

..and if within 24 hours of my suggestion above being put forward, it was accepted and seen as a sufficiently good enough idea, that it was quickly implemented, then my feedback couldn't really have been much more helpful could it?

So, "whining and Slamming" - back at yer I think...  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:05:50 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

mezzoduomo

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2015, 10:02:01 am »

Huh??? It certainly does scroll for me, at least on IE.

Still scrolls on Chrome on a Mac.

Many readers have asked for a way to see latest articles while visiting the forum.

Say 'many readers', then do what you like. It's fine, but you're smart to also hear and heed the quick and forceful feedback flowing in here. $0.02.  :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2015, 10:04:16 am »

Well, actually, we are all paying the bills, by looking (however briefly) at the adverts on the top of the page.
I'll leave it to Kevin or Michael to comment if they desire but I'll suggest that idea is painfully naive and provided without any knowledge of the LuLa operating mechanics!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2015, 10:06:03 am »

Someone needs to tell you that you guys are doing a splendid job.
+2. Seems if some folks can't bitch and moan about Adobe, or subscriptions, they'll find something else to complain about.

MarkL

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2015, 10:21:23 am »

Glad it helped, Dave. I've dug a bit more and found Adblock can block the whole "top-scroll-bar" panel. From Adblock Plus, go to Filter Preferences, Custom Filters, then click Add Filter. In this case ##div.top-scroll-bar blocks that grey bar. It seems much less distracting now, but this blocking method might be useful in other contexts.

John

Thanks for this, it works well. Anything that keeps moving when I'm trying to read is very annoying.

sandymc

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2015, 11:36:40 am »

I'll leave it to Kevin or Michael to comment if they desire but I'll suggest that idea is painfully naive and provided without any knowledge of the LuLa operating mechanics!

Umm, do you really think that Lula isn't being paid for the advertising space on top of the page? That's part of how websites make money, together with associated shopping, etc, etc. As I said, I have no problem with that - nor should anyone else. But to believe otherwise is, with all due respect, "painfully naive".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2015, 12:04:10 pm »

Umm, do you really think that Lula isn't being paid for the advertising space on top of the page?
Some people don't know what they don't know and make assumptions which you've just illustrated. Now IF you have the LuLa books and have actual facts, I'll gladly retract the comment. Do you have that information or are you just speculating?

sandymc

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2015, 12:12:54 pm »

Some people don't know what they don't know and make assumptions which you've just illustrated. Now IF you have the LuLa books and have actual facts, I'll gladly retract the comment. Do you have that information or are you just speculating?

I assume (a) that LuLa is like most other websites (and yes, I've approved the business plans for some very big sites, and have small sites of my own) and (b) that very few people would just give away page space without getting something in return.

But happy for Kevin or Michael to tell me otherwise.

But I am confused as to why you feel that LuLa charging for ad space would be an issue? Seems entirely normal to me.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2015, 12:15:55 pm »

I assume (a) that LuLa is like most other websites (and yes, I've approved the business plans for some very big sites, and have small sites of my own) and (b) that very few people would just give away page space without getting something in return.
The key admitted text is you're assuming.
But happy for Kevin or Michael to tell me otherwise.
That may or may not happen, it doesn't change the lack of facts you have!
But I am confused as to why you feel that LuLa charging for ad space would be an issue? Seems entirely normal to me.
I never said was an issue, it isn't for me. I said I'm surprised that folks are complaining about the update banner moving about but not the ad's that do the same both larger in size and more frequently.

sandymc

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2015, 12:29:04 pm »

I never said was an issue, it isn't for me.

Well, it sounded like you had an issue with it. But fine, we can all just move on then.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2015, 12:46:41 pm »

The banner will be staying.  It no longer scrolls.  Actually that was not supposed to scroll and we were fixing it anyway.  The ultimate purpose of the one line banner is to let readers know when we have NEW videos and NEW Workshops as well as articles or rantatorials as many times readers miss new things.   One quick check of the banner will let you know what's new.  If you don't like it then ignore it.  This has been a features asked for by many.

This site exists through workshops, advertisers and our videos.  Without these there is no Luminous-Landscape.  We work real hard to provide an easy to navigate site with a ton of informative information as well as original content.  You won't find a photo magazine or other site offering the wealth of information we do and then let's throw in the Forum.  Michael, Chris and I do this because we are passionate about photograph and sharing knowledge.  We have a ton of contributors that feel the same way.  We are also fortunate to have great advertisers.  We do not do google ad sense or anything like that.  It doesn't do any good to any of us to talk about how to block ads etc.. If you want to do it go ahead. But without advertisers there will be no Luminous-Landscape.  

As readers you get a lot of material without paying dime.  Luminous-Landscape will continue to evolve and grow all with you our readers in mind.  There will be some things some folks may not like and others will and that is just the way it goes.  We have spent a lot of time and effort making this site something special for photographers.

Now, a change we recently made that so far no one has had issue with is the new search feature.  Try it out.  Go to the search box and type something and a list of drop down suggestions appears.  If you find what you are looking for drag down and click it.  Or hit the magnifying glass and go to the new search page.  Type in something to search for and click the gear button and now you can search by author and or category.  Also, the words in your search will appear in your results so you can see what is being searched.  This was also something asked for and now provided.

We will continue to refine this.  It took a lot of work to do this part and we hope it allows for our readers to do easier searches.  

All of what we have been doing is to help you enjoy the site better.  If you have suggestions you can always email us privately.  

Thank you for being part of Luminous-Landscape  I hope you continue to enjoy what we provide.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 02:49:34 pm »

...It doesn't do any good to any of us to talk about how to block ads etc.. If you want to do it go ahead. But without advertisers there will be no Luminous-Landscape.  

Kevin Raber

Kevin,

It was never about blocking adverts (for me at least), it was about blocking intrusive and unbearable moving content, that made the site (again for me) pretty much unreadable and then only as a last resort after asking if it could be changed to a static selectable banner.

This is the best photographic site on the planet and which I definitely do not want to see go down the tubes, so I am more than happy to look at and occasionally click through interesting adverts, as well as continue to add to the couple of dozen videos that I have already bought from Lula.

I would never try to undermine, or suggest anyone else should undermine, an important revenue stream for this site, I just wanted to be able to read the forums comfortably and without a really annoying rolling distraction, that kept dizzying away in the corner of the screen and pulling at my eyes.

But now all is well and the quiet equilibrium has sensibly been restored and I thank you for that.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:08:57 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »

Thanks Dave.  Just give us a chance.   A lot of things evolving as we go.

Kevin Raber.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

mezzoduomo

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2015, 05:13:23 pm »

It no longer scrolls.  

Kevin Raber

Still scrolls, at least it does for me...
Do I need to clear cache or something?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up