Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My goodnes but that scrolling UPDATES thing is really annoying  (Read 22934 times)

stamper

Re: My goodnes but that scrolling UPDATES thing is really annoying
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 06:42:45 am »

My goodness but that scrolling UPDATES text thing is really, really annoying and you can't even scroll down the page to lose it off the top, as it follows you like a mithering clickbait advert, that is never going to go away and just carries on catching your attention out of the corner of your eye.

I like the new site and the updates are mostly really good and it is obvious that lots of effort is going into this, but scrolling text just above and to the corner of what you are reading, gets a big thumbs down from me  :-[

Could it not be a static banner, that lets the user choose to scroll through the list if they want to, with the left right select buttons that are also already there?

Dave

It would be useful if you stated which browser you are using. I use Firefox and don't see the problem and I have Adblock disabled.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 06:43:36 am »

John please take me off your paranoid list. The post has nothing to do with you. The subject is the use of Adblock and the possible implication to the site.

Sorry, Stalker, you can pretend all you want that blocking an annoying non-ad panel isn't the subject, but your odd behaviour has gone on long enough. Just put me on your ignore list, please, and we'll all be happier.

stamper

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 06:50:47 am »

John please stop your nonsense. You use the ignore function and add me alongside....
Ignoring all posts from: "AlterEgo" "deeejjaaa" :(

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 07:32:35 am »

John please stop your nonsense. You use the ignore function and add me alongside....
Ignoring all posts from: "AlterEgo" "deeejjaaa" :(

Again, Stalker, it's you who needs to put me on your ignore list. Have you done so yet?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 08:34:49 am »

It would be useful if you stated which browser you are using. I use Firefox and don't see the problem and I have Adblock disabled.

I have the latest version of Firefox running and everything is now OK and under control thanks to John's help. ;D

Dave

stamper

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 08:47:00 am »

I have the latest version of Firefox running and everything is now OK and under control thanks to John's help. ;D

Dave

Are the adds still visible?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 08:57:49 am »

Completely agree that it should be removed.

If you want more people to read the editorial content, improve the quality, don't try to force feed people. Sad fact is that while the forums here are good, because there are a bunch of interesting people that participate, the site content might as well not be there, at least as far as I am concerned.

Rantatorials aside, the content on Lula is, IMO, generally pretty good. It would be useful to have an easy way to see what's new, but the scrolling banner is annoying and amateurish. Why not just add a menu selection "What's New" that displays links to articles, etc. that were added within the past 30 days?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 09:50:26 am »

Are the adds still visible?

I had already disabled everything that moved, scrolled or flickered months ago and I really don't mind the few adverts that remain after making it through the cull, as I accept that the site has got to earn its upkeep and I wholeheartedly agree with that, but if its on my screen and it doesn't stay completely still, then it goes straight into Ad Block.  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:59:20 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 09:57:30 am »

I had already disabled everything that moved, scrolled or flickered months ago.  ;D

Which shows how effective such in-your-face advertizing is ..., not.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:06:22 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 10:03:53 am »

I assume Andrew was just joking, but he makes a fair point that a subscription model might serve the forum well.
I was half joking. The other half was to point out that we are guests in the forums and while it's useful to provide feedback, we're not paying the bills and further, the ad's that I see changing as rapidly as the updates are as or more annoying. So I think it's interesting that the new updates banner is getting all the attention and that perhaps a contribution to the cause might allow those individuals access to an off switch. Don't contribute, you have to view both sets up images/text updates. Contribution would be voluntary.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Isaac

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 12:31:28 pm »

The other half was to point out that we are guests in the forums…

Indeed (both guest and commodity).

…the ad's that I see changing as rapidly as the updates are as or more annoying. So I think it's interesting that the new updates banner is getting all the attention…

The ads can be scrolled out-of-sight. The "updates banner" was continually in-sight but that has been changed and the "updates banner" can now also be scrolled out-of-sight.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:29:37 pm by Isaac »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 02:49:17 pm »

The other half was to point out that we are guests in the forums and while it's useful to provide feedback, we're not paying the bills and further,
Don't underestimate your(and the rest of the active contributors) importance to Lula's business. Without the sort of high quality information in the forums from the likes of yourself, Schewe, Bart, Mark, Eric, Bernard, Ernst GW etc..... Lula just becomes another run of the mill photo forum, then it looses page views which in turn means it's harder to get good lucrative advertisers.

speedyk

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 05:19:09 pm »

While Adblock is a great tool, the Noscript plugin for Firefox and Seamonkey is also useful. By default it blocks luminous-landscape.com, which leaves the Updates widget there, but it doesn't operate.

The pace of updates on LL has not seemed to me to warrant such an intrusion.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 01:52:19 am »

What a bunch of cry-babies!  I know of no other photo website where the powers-that-be: Michael, Kevin, Chris, Jeff et al, are as responsive to the needs of their viewers while maintaining that delicate balance required for survival.  Rather than whining, why don't you applaud their efforts and occasionally click on one of those really annoying ads that allow this site to exist.

Rhossydd

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 03:28:47 am »

why don't you applaud their efforts
We do when they're improvements. When they get it wrong we give feedback.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 03:36:32 am »

We do when they're improvements. When they get it wrong we give feedback.
"We do" is a bit of an overstatement, and feedback is all too frequently in the form of whining and slamming. "My goodness, but that scrolling UPDATE thing is really annoying" is not exactly helpful feedback.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 03:47:38 am »

"My goodness, but that scrolling UPDATE thing is really annoying" is not exactly helpful feedback.

It might not be constructive, but to become aware that something is annoying must surely be helpful.

Jeremy

Rhossydd

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 04:01:10 am »

feedback is all too frequently in the form of whining and slamming.
The answer to that is to make improvements that people like, then you get positive feedback.

No one has expressed a liking for this scrolling annoyance so far.

I don't understand why people need reminders of new content on the main page taking up screen space on the forums. There was already a link back to the home page on the forum's title bar, how hard is it to click that to see what's new ? easy, simple, unobtrusive and has been there for as long as I can remember (which is an example of how good and usable the original design was. It didn't need changing)

Now I get typographical horrors like this on the page

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2015, 04:30:17 am »

The notification now don't scroll.  The Typo issue is an HTML thing and will get fixed as we work things out.  The real estate is not taking up any more space than before.  Once you get into an article you get past the top part.  Based on the click throughs it seems many people are using it.  There are plenty of other sites that are a lot more invasive.  We are doing what is asked for by many.  While some people seem real adverse to change many like it.  And we will continually change. This updates things is something that you'll learn to live with.  It doesn't change the content.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 04:56:53 am »

The notification now don't scroll.  The Typo issue is an HTML thing and will get fixed as we work things out.  The real estate is not taking up any more space than before.  Once you get into an article you get past the top part.  Based on the click throughs it seems many people are using it.  There are plenty of other sites that are a lot more invasive.  We are doing what is asked for by many.  While some people seem real adverse to change many like it.  And we will continually change. This updates things is something that you'll learn to live with.  It doesn't change the content.

Kevin Raber
Someone needs to tell you that you guys are doing a splendid job.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up