Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D810 from 42nd Street Photo  (Read 3992 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Nikon D810 from 42nd Street Photo
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:02:42 am »

I notice Nikon D810 are selling for a discount at 42nd street photo (2,299.00).  How do know if it comes with a US warranty? 

dwswager

Re: Nikon D810 from 42nd Street Photo
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:22:03 am »

I notice Nikon D810 are selling for a discount at 42nd street photo (2,299.00).  How do know if it comes with a US warranty?  

Almost positive that would be a grey model, imported by someone other than Nikon USA and without US warranty, but if you really want to check, give them a call.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:46:14 pm »

They are a rip off. I bought my 1Dx from them a couple years ago. They sold the camera, at the time for about $6k, which was them about $800-900 below places like B&H. I said I wanted a US version, which they said was about $100 less than B&H at the time, around $6700 vs. $6800. But when I got it, the menus were in some sort of Asian characters with three languages total in the menu: 2 Asian, and English. To make a long story short, it was obviously their gray market body which they sold to me for the same amount as a US camera. I fought it it out via Amex... and lost. I needed the camera and kept it. Was the camera OK? Absolutely. Same exact body, different menus. I have no problem buying gray market at times, but what I objected to was buying what was suppose to be a USA version, being given a gray market body, but still at USA prices.

If you are OK with gray market, go to eBay instead. The sellers there are pretty up front (at least the good ones). They will say it's an import. If you want a USA version, buy from B&H or Adorama or some other reputable camera dealer. Avoid 42st St.

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:52:30 am »

What nemphoto said.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 12:10:21 pm »

I purchased from 42nd Street Photo once, years ago, and I'll never do it again.
- Dean

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 02:49:03 pm »

A acquaintance of mine, forever trying to save a buck, is now wrangling with them over a D7100 which has developed problems.

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 03:18:42 pm »

I notice Nikon D810 are selling for a discount at 42nd street photo (2,299.00).  How do know if it comes with a US warranty?  

Buying D810 Online

My order of preference for Nikon purchases is B&H, Amazon, then Adorama.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 03:34:09 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I usually order through B&H and have never had a problem.  Crutchfields is also a good one. 

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 04:18:21 pm »

Buying D810 Online

My order of preference for Nikon purchases is B&H, Amazon, then Adorama.

FWIW, I always order from B&H or occasionally Adorama. I deviated from this a bit over a year ago and ordered a 1DX from directly from Amazon, not a third party seller. I received one in an obviously opened manufacturers box with fingerprints on the LCD, jumbled cables, and a missing battery. I called wanting to return it and asked how I could get an obviously used item with missing parts when I ordered a new one. There was a long pause and the representative said "it happens". They cheerfully replaced it with one that had the manufacturer's box inside a much larger shipping box with no padding of any sort between them. It was like a marble in a shoe box. The outer box arrived with holes in it and partly crushed. The manufacturer's box was badly beaten up with rounded corners and some of its internal cardboard partitions crushed. They took that one back for a refund. Having learned my lesson I then purchased from B&H and got a well packed and obviously new camera that has worked flawlessly.
- Dean

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 08:12:45 pm »

FWIW, I always order from B&H or occasionally Adorama. I deviated from this a bit over a year ago and ordered a 1DX from directly from Amazon, not a third party seller. I received one in an obviously opened manufacturers box with fingerprints on the LCD, jumbled cables, and a missing battery. I called wanting to return it and asked how I could get an obviously used item with missing parts when I ordered a new one. There was a long pause and the representative said "it happens". They cheerfully replaced it with one that had the manufacturer's box inside a much larger shipping box with no padding of any sort between them. It was like a marble in a shoe box. The outer box arrived with holes in it and partly crushed. The manufacturer's box was badly beaten up with rounded corners and some of its internal cardboard partitions crushed. They took that one back for a refund. Having learned my lesson I then purchased from B&H and got a well packed and obviously new camera that has worked flawlessly.

Wow, that is odd.  I have been Amazon Prime for years and order tons of stuff from TVs to $0.50 cables and never had a problem.  If the item is something I don't want or has an issue, I get online, get an RMA and and depending on the circumstances I get free return shipping label.  But you have to be aware if the item is being sold by Amazon, Sold by someone else, but fullfilled by Amazon or if you're dealing with a 3rd party seller.

As I said, if the price is relatively equivalent, I use B&H.  They usually ship standard UPS, but I normally get it 2 days later anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up