Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sawtooth Ridgeline  (Read 6653 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Sawtooth Ridgeline
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 04:19:30 am »

Terry's comment is a God-like judgement without any acknowledgement that maddogmurph may have intended that rock spire to dominate his picture; and placed the rock spire in the upper part of the picture, centered horizontally, to achieve that effect.

No, it is neither a judgment nor God-like (whether italicised or not). It's a pithily-expressed comment, combined with advice. You may or may not like the choice of words; but you might better direct any criticism at the view and not the viewer. I realise in your case that's not going to happen, but hope springs eternal.

Jeremy

Manoli

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 05:49:11 am »

I'd say you're wrong. The letter "S", when pronounced, begins with a vowel; and "an SD", is correctly pronounced "an ess dee". The alternative, "a ess dee" sounds clumsy and is not in accordance with your example.

You are correct only if the abbreviation (which is not technically an acronym, although I have to accept that that argument is being lost) is expanded while speaking: "a South Dakota"  :)

I would whole heartedly concur with that grammatical assessment, though I'm not inclined (in the slightest) to cede the difference between an abbreviation, an acronym and an initialism. Shades of déja vu.  :)

M

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 07:09:19 am »

Not having English as my first tongue, I'm learning a lot here. What is more correct - "an SD" or "a SD"?
Or maybe the sentence should be reframed - right now, the main object is off centre.

Spoken as an acronym, it would be "an SD". Spoken in it's full form, it would be ”a sh*t disturber".
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Isaac

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 03:19:14 pm »

you might better direct any criticism at the view and not the viewer.

We all might better direct criticism at the pictures not the people.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up