Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: So this is the future...  (Read 21855 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: So this is the future...
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 05:17:02 pm »

Software in the things is going to take care of a lot of things like bokeh, CA, moire, DOF, WB, etc. much like a bunch of software like Photoshop/Lightroom do today with all the 3rd party add-on software plugins.  The phone's internal memory and processing power is growing to more than most desktops (What's that?) and that is going to be a big issue down the road for Canon/Nikon/Etc.  What bokeh?  Just set it in the phone's editor (Per example off mine of people leaving their junk all over the place, even on railroad tracks.).
The thing is that filters to emulate some real world attribute like in your shot tend to look like an effect and not the real thing unless a lot of time and effort is in put into it. Often easier to do most things for real.
Stuff in phones to process image are already amazing in what they can do, but the sort of person who uses a phone to do their photography, will not bother to put the effort in to improve their phone shots to make them look really good. So it won't make much difference really.
I have an iPhone 6 with supposedly a really good camera in it and yet the images if looked at anything other than on the phone look pretty awful really, nasty and mushy. Not a patch on my similarly mega-pixeled antique Canon 20D from a decade or so ago.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 05:24:18 pm »

To balance my skepticism about some "over-optimistic" talk, I will say that his samples make a good argument that, within its limitations, the results of this camera are not noticeably inferior to what a huge majority of "SLR snap-shooters" could achieve, and maybe better in practice because it is so much easier to make quick fixes in-camera before "sharing". 
Or crap photographers produce crap pictures on all cameras and good photographs take good photos with whatever gear they have.  ;D

(One more small piece of evidence for my prediction that the combination of entry-level SLR and f/5.6 kit zoom is about a decade from extinction.)
So beginner enthusiasts will have to start with expensive cameras then? No what has already nearly vanished is the P+S camera market, that's what phones have replaced. Small high quality and fairly expensive cameras have boomed however.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

BJL

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 09:43:38 pm »

. . . I will say that his samples make a good argument that, within its limitations, the results of this camera are not noticeably inferior to what a huge majority of "SLR snap-shooters" could achieve, and maybe better in practice because it is so much easier to make quick fixes in-camera before "sharing".
Or crap photographers produce crap pictures on all cameras and good photographs take good photos with whatever gear they have.  ;D
No, I did not mean that simplistic forum cliche: just that every photographic tool has a scope of tasks where it is completely adequate, and even if a phone-camera's scope is far more limited than an ILC's, the sort of scenes in that blog fall within that scope.  I do not pretend that a phone-camera can replace an entry-level ILC kit for all uses: see my comments above about narrow-angle ("telephoto") shots.

(One more small piece of evidence for my prediction that the combination of entry-level SLR and f/5.6 kit zoom is about a decade from extinction.)
So beginner enthusiasts will have to start with expensive cameras then?
Why would future smaller, lighter replacements for entry level DSLR kits be more expensive?  Are you making the dubious claim that entry-level mirrorless kits are and will remain more expensive than entry-level DSLR kits?

No what has already nearly vanished is the P+S camera market, that's what phones have replaced. Small high quality and fairly expensive cameras have boomed however.
I was not saying anything to the contrary; the "camera sales collapse" is almost all about the high volume, low end of the compact camera market, which is not where camera companies make most of their profits anyway,  while ILC sales are still well above what SLR sales ever were (more so if one counts revenue rather than unit sales) so the doom-sayers are wrong.  However, I am not sure that "boom" is the right word either: ILC sales are declining from their peak during the digital transition, with DSLR sales declining and mirrorless about flat in the most recent figures I have seen.  Do you see a current boom in any major sector?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up