Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung S6 Edge Photos  (Read 396148 times)

Atina

Re: Samsung S6 Edge Photos
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 08:12:57 am »

Some Guy, how did you calibrate it with Sekonic and x-rite?

How does the S6 Edge+ compare to S6 Edge, apart from the obvious features, such as the bigger screen and an additional GB of RAM?

Does S6 Edge+ only support the "live broadcast" mode and the UHQA format?

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 10:07:23 am »

'Some Guy'

Thanks for sharing those images, they're really good and are making me want to upgrade from my Lumia 920. I wonder how the S6 stacks against a Note 3 camera.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

Some Guy

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 05:07:50 pm »

Some Guy, how did you calibrate it with Sekonic and x-rite?

How does the S6 Edge+ compare to S6 Edge, apart from the obvious features, such as the bigger screen and an additional GB of RAM?

Does S6 Edge+ only support the "live broadcast" mode and the UHQA format?

There is some app from x-rite called ColorTRUE.  Load that freebie.  Then you need the USB mini/micro (??) Samsung adapter from the phone to a female USB.  Then a x-rite i1Display Pro calibration head plugs into that.  When you launch the ColorTRUE app, it has you place the head on the screen and it pretty much does it's own thing.  You do need to launch ColorTRUE with the Gallery photo viewer though as it only applies the profile correction to whatever photo viewer you use if it is running.

More here:  https://www.xrite.com/colortrue

For the Sekonic light meter, if you have the RAW camera app (e.g. Camera FV-5, which I still find has serious issues with the auto-focus in that program vs. the OEM camera which is far sharper, but least I can focus manually with FV-5.) that also writes as a DNG image file, you can use the Sekonic L-428D meter software and their Profile 2 target and generate an exposure tuned profile to put into the meter's memory to calibrate it to the S6 camera's behavior.  That's how I found the cell camera tends to be a bit hot in the highlights against the Nikon DSLR's (About one stop too bright.) but it still isn't that bad and is pretty even with them down into the shadows as well.

No doubt you might be able to use the same DNG and the x-rite ColorChecker target and software and generate a profile for Lightroom, etc. as well.  I haven't tried that one yet.  I might try that test in a few days.

As to the memory, I went with the 64GB version of the S6 Edge in anticipation of the RAW files which seem to average out around 31MB in size.  I have found with the apps and the larger internal memory, loading too many of them really taxes the battery as some run in the background far too much and can kill it off in maybe 5-6 hours.  I've removed a lot of them and unloaded them, plus shutting off the "Location" beacon part helps.  Too bad too much of the Android bloatware/snoopware can't be shut off to "data on demand" or something without resorting to a hacked OS.  Some of it just restarts on its own which is annoying.

Sorry, no knowledge on the video part as it's not something I've used yet.  I've seen some nice videos shot with the 3-axis stabilization gimbals that sell for about $300 though even though the cell camera has optical stabilization (which doesn't seem to work well with Camera FV-5 yet either).  Someday...

SG

Atina

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 03:35:21 pm »

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. :) I'll be looking forward to that Lightroom-profile test.

As for my questions regarding the Samsung S6 Edge+ vs. Edge, I was just too lazy to look it up myself. And I still am. I just read that when the new model was announced and was wondering is the bigger version "better" than the smaller one. Perhaps eronald has an opinion. :D

A lot of the things seem to be the same, including the processor and resolution of the screen (which results in the lesser pixels density of the bigger phone). I dislike this practice of releasing the two models S6 and Note and their derivatives at different times.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:05:30 pm by Atina »

Atina

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 04:04:22 pm »

It seems that the S6 Edge+ features are coming to S6 and S6 Edge via the new firmware update, which is already available in South Korea:

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/08/20/galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-start-receiving-s6-edge-features-with-new-update/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:56:24 pm by Atina »

Some Guy

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »

.... I'll be looking forward to that Lightroom-profile test.

Yes, the DNG image that Camera FV-5 makes is readable with the ColorChecker software and imports the profile into Lightroom much as any other profile made with the ColorChecker software.  Just drag the DNG image into the software window and it finds the targets and saves the profile to Lightroom.  Pretty easy, although I find mine tends to overexpose about a stop for the software to locate the targets, but Camera FV-5 has a manual correction to address that.

Only problem is Camera FV-5 has to be the worst focusing app out there for the S6 anything if you are used to a sharper camera/lens.  It's blurry 100% of the time using the FV-5 auto-focus.  Focusing manually with it is much better, or the OEM app works better too for auto-focus, but no DNG (RAW) file from it - yet.

SG

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:20 am »

Aside, I tried the Google Camera (Which supposedly has RAW but not in the S6 yet.) and was amazed at how fast the Panoramic function works.  Just keep turning and aligning the dots (It automatically shoots.) and by the time I walked off the field it processed the panorama in highest rez mode.  For some reason, the image in the camera when shown on its LCD screen shows more of the panorama ends.  Might be some output size thing going on.  Odd.  Spherical is neat too, much like Google Earth street view where you can pan up and down (sometimes.).

SG

The Pano you posted has a number of stitching errors though ...
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Some Guy

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 01:04:18 pm »

The Pano you posted has a number of stitching errors though ...

True, but given it was hand-held and me trying to spin a quick 360 isn't in my fancy old-man dance list as one needs to chase the rapid moving dot to the next pan area shot pretty quickly.  Spinning smoothly while trying to chase the pano dot isn't that easy to accomplish unless you are built like an owl.  I seem to recall it automatically shoots if you are anywhere near the next pan dot on the LCD too no matter the tilt.  They might be able to make that pano-chasing dot smaller and make it more accurate in auto-stitching it too.

If it were on a tripod it no doubt would be much better and far easier to do, which is my preferred method for 90% for doing that sort of stuff.  However, for a cell phone, it's still pretty impressive over what it packs into it vs. a DSLR though.  No doubt a DSLR having the same internal tech would do the same thing shooting off a tripod hand-held.

SG

Atina

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 04:13:47 am »

I'm a bit surprised that there was no RAW support in this update either. I presume they will add it for the Android 6.0 "Marshmallow" update, which, I presume, won't come before October.

Some Guy

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 11:56:46 am »

I'm a bit surprised that there was no RAW support in this update either. I presume they will add it for the Android 6.0 "Marshmallow" update, which, I presume, won't come before October.

Yes, let's hope the Marshmallow version takes care of it, if not sooner.  Fingers crossed.  The stock camera app does far better focusing for me than the 3rd party apps do so far.

I played a bit with it yesterday on the motorcycle selfie.  It offers a whole lot of different "artistic" surprises within it though.  Really is a cool little camera device.  :)

SG

Atina

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 02:19:11 pm »

Ha!

I'm trying to figure what that is. An overhead shot of a motorbike?

Which surprises are you talking about? Do you have any filters to recommend? Perhaps some warming ones?

Some Guy

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 04:54:27 pm »

Ha!

I'm trying to figure what that is. An overhead shot of a motorbike?

Which surprises are you talking about? Do you have any filters to recommend? Perhaps some warming ones?
Yes.  It's my bike and helmet shot overhead with the S6.

For preliminary work I use "Snapseed" which is the Google freeware app with some of the filters (Nik's software, who Google bought and their Control Points).  "Snapseed" can do whatever color (warming) you want as well as sharpness, cropping, rotation, etc.  The I follow with "SuperPhoto Full" (paid app) for the Rain effect and Framing.  I can play for hours with that app alone and it's full of surprises when it does its thing.

Push the bike through torrential rain storm?  Couple of minutes in SuperPhoto Full, no problem!

SG

Atina

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 02:43:31 pm »

Ha! :D

No wonder you can play for hours when it says that it has over 1500 effects available! Impressive.

I was also looking at Aviary.

And keep bumping onto Snapseed, but keep delaying the install for some reason. I must install it this evening.

Atina

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 02:48:35 pm »

I was also looking at the presets available in Galaxy Apps. I think I'll try the Beauty face, Food Shot, Dual camera, and I'm looking at Sunshine and Sunset, but the examples don't look promising.

Atina

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 11:52:42 am »

Here's an article in the French newspaper Le Monde about whether a smartphone is enough:

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2015/08/05/photo-un-smartphone-suffit-il_4659368_4408996.html

:)

Some Guy

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 01:43:59 pm »

Here's an article in the French newspaper Le Monde about whether a smartphone is enough:

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2015/08/05/photo-un-smartphone-suffit-il_4659368_4408996.html

:)

Most of the shortcomings of the Samsung over the Canon P&S camera in the article were the optical zoom vs. cell's digital zoom.  From what I gather, the Samsung also sharpens a lot internally too.  I know my Canon G9 can often beat my old Nikon D7000 in that it's default settings are a very high shutter speed, internal default sharpening is higher, and it's more vivid too.  Nikon, right out of the box, is often softer, imho.

Still, I do like the sheer processing power based in the S6 Edge over what the DSLR can do.  No doubt these things are going to keep getting better to the point they may pass even a DSLR if they improve on the optics (i.e. Maybe an Otus Fresnel zoom in a cell phone?).

Now if the RAW camera app makers would get their app to make a sharper image as they seem to be lagging there over the OEM phone's app.  Maybe why Samsung is holding back on releasing their camera app with RAW for it.  Dunno.

SG

Atina

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 02:56:05 am »

Are there any apps that do colour shift and white balance changes?

Evanford

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 07:05:18 pm »

I just bought the Galaxy S6 which I assume has the same camera as the S6 Edge.  Regarding a greenish tint issue, I found my initial test photos I took today looked great on the phone (using display screen mode "AMOLED photo".  When I transferred them to my PC using Lightroom Mobile syncing I thought they looked a little flat and perhaps a slight tint of some sort.  Using LR Mobile to display some of my old untouched iphone photos they too look much better on the S6 screen than they do on my calibrated display screen.  I didn't notice this so much between my iphone/ipad and calibrated monitor.  Comparing the iphone and Galaxy photos I think the iphone has better color. Galaxy is a bit punchier especially in reds and blues. 

Atina

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 02:04:29 pm »

Question: if the S6 edge has a 1/2.6″ sensor, which is 5.5 mm × 4.1 mm (does anyone have the precise dimensions), how come it produces 16 : 9 as its native-resolution images?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up