Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung S6 Edge Photos  (Read 396154 times)

Some Guy

Samsung S6 Edge Photos
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:52:50 pm »

I just got this phone (64GB model as I wanted some camera storage since is doesn't have a card slot.) and the camera continues to impress me.  Since it is Android, I also loaded up the x-rite ColorTune into it with their Display Pro 1 hardware which is mostly for viewing.  Actually, it is more saturated in the reds without the x-rite view, but personal preference too.

I don't know how they get autofocus in the small thing, but you can see it work and lock on.  These two shots are in the finest highest resolution mode (16 megapixel) and files are about 5MP to 6MP each in the camera.  No RAW that I found yet.

Flash seems like it comes on (Auto) and holds for a bit while it sounds like the shutter does some rapid-fire sequence for slow speeds (Stacks?).  I dunno, but it does sound weird but least the images come out okay.  ???

SG

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Samsung S6 Edge Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:13:01 pm »

There's a neat trick: You can zoom while previewing the frame, then it will only keep what's on the screen. Better than cropping after, because of the compression.

And even better: Zoom also works for video.

Nothing is perfect, but the latest generation of phones, including the S6 edge can do a lot of things fairly well.

The one thing I don't like about my S6 is that everything has a greenish tint to it, but I guess with Lollipop I will get finer control over the white balance.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:03:58 pm »

The one thing I don't like about my S6 is that everything has a greenish tint to it, but I guess with Lollipop I will get finer control over the white balance.

Edmund

hmm...  ???

Mine doesn't have a greenish cast.  Maybe since I tuned it with the x-rite Display Pro & Colortune, but I think that only works with the image viewer and not by default to the entire device.  Dunno.  My screen isn't the brightest in daylight (Whose is?), but the screen resolution in Google Earth is pretty impressive.  Mine was a late build as the T-Mobile store ran out of them as did the local Costco and I had to wait for another batch of the 64GB models.

I think the screen is a 4K unit?  Haven't tried any video with it yet.  Still playing with the camera and editor part.

I did find some Bluetooth USB thing I had laying around the place and plugged it into one of my smaller Epson Charm printers and the phone found it immediately (Asked for a "0000" passkey too.) and it prints fine to the printer with that sideways Y thing and "Print."  Only thing is I cannot send the largest JPG files made off the 16MP camera to the printer, only the mids and smaller JPGs as the printer reports "File sent too large."  I don't know if that is a limitation of Bluetooth or the printer's cache, although it prints large files from a SD card.  Images do look pretty good though.  Much quicker setup than hooking the Nikons via a cable to the printer or through a laptop too.

Sure is nice having a "capable" (large MP) camera in one's pocket verses lugging a DSLR and camera bag around too.  That "Just toss it on the charging puck" gizmo is nice too.

I did get a laugh out of the Apple store employee that sold me the Joby tripod holder when they addressed is as the "iPhone 7."  ;D

SG

Internaut

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:08:55 am »

Flash behaviour is likely down to the app you're using to take the photos with.  This being Android, there are other apps you can use.  I've been happy with the output from phones, since the Samsung S3 (currently use the Nexus 5).

eronald

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:02:41 pm »

With this quality in everyone's pocket, one can understand why compact camera sales are falling.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:04:26 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Atina

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:00:49 am »

Won't a 5.1 update of Android, coming at the end of June, bring the possibility to shoot in RAW mode?

Some Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:10:38 am »

Won't a 5.1 update of Android, coming at the end of June, bring the possibility to shoot in RAW mode?
Interesting, so I had to look.

Surprise for me as I am on T-mobile and Lollipop 5.1.1 is loading now into the S6 Edge.  Supposedly RAW now too from what I read.  Don't know whose converter will read it, maybe RawTherapee?

I'll know more when it finishes in a few hours over my crap AT&T DSL WiFi.  It's about 700MB in size.  I just laid the thing on the charging puck and let it go.  Maybe in the morning...

Added next day:

Well, no RAW with 5.1.1 on the S6 Edge.  Just some Lighten & Darken control on the camera (A moving light bulb on a +/- slider scale).  Had to reboot the phone and use Camera Reset for it to appear.

It took about 8-9 hours for the firmware to download and update via Wi-Fi (AT&T DSL is really sad here and may as well be old dial-up for speed (<0.50 Kb/s.  Maybe they throttle it too?).  Cloud anything (Video too!) is a joke here and they really do need fiber instead of this old rotting wiring, but I'm too far from their switch to get anything faster or fiber.  I didn't want to use the cell tower which might have been faster as it is a big file and could cut into my 3 GB limit for the month.

SG
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:53:19 am by Some Guy »

eronald

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:39:42 pm »

I'm drunk, please cut me some slack.
Lollipop 5.1 upgrades the Android to Camera 2.0, with OS support for Raw.
Now you need a camera app that supports Raw. There happens to be a nice free such called Open Camera, the PlayStore is your friend.
This app has some support fro the new api, which needs to be enabled by a setting - maybe you could experiment and report back?

As I said, I'm drunk, please ignore any inaccuracies etc.

Edmund

Interesting, so I had to look.

Surprise for me as I am on T-mobile and Lollipop 5.1.1 is loading now into the S6 Edge.  Supposedly RAW now too from what I read.  Don't know whose converter will read it, maybe RawTherapee?

I'll know more when it finishes in a few hours over my crap AT&T DSL WiFi.  It's about 700MB in size.  I just laid the thing on the charging puck and let it go.  Maybe in the morning...

Added next day:

Well, no RAW with 5.1.1 on the S6 Edge.  Just some Lighten & Darken control on the camera (A moving light bulb on a +/- slider scale).  Had to reboot the phone and use Camera Reset for it to appear.

It took about 8-9 hours for the firmware to download and update via Wi-Fi (AT&T DSL is really sad here and may as well be old dial-up for speed (<0.50 Kb/s.  Maybe they throttle it too?).  Cloud anything (Video too!) is a joke here and they really do need fiber instead of this old rotting wiring, but I'm too far from their switch to get anything faster or fiber.  I didn't want to use the cell tower which might have been faster as it is a big file and could cut into my 3 GB limit for the month.

SG

Some Guy

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:07:13 pm »

Lollipop 5.1 upgrades the Android to Camera 2.0, with OS support for Raw.
Now you need a camera app that supports Raw. There happens to be a nice free such called Open Camera, the PlayStore is your friend.
This app has some support fro the new api, which needs to be enabled by a setting - maybe you could experiment and report back?

As I said, I'm drunk, please ignore any inaccuracies etc.

Edmund

No RAW that I found.

I installed the Open Camera from the Playstore and it allowed me to check the Camera 2 API, but no RAW anywhere in version 5.1.1 that I see.  Pretty much like the camera app that comes with the phone really, just JPG sizes and percentage of quality for them (Default is 90%.)

SG

Atina

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 06:25:39 am »

Thank you, Some Guy, for the detailed testing.

However, Android Authority says it brings RAW and lower ISO:

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-5-1-update-brings-raw-and-lower-iso-to-galaxy-s6-618628/

Some Guy

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 09:23:30 am »

Thank you, Some Guy, for the detailed testing.

However, Android Authority says it brings RAW and lower ISO:

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-5-1-update-brings-raw-and-lower-iso-to-galaxy-s6-618628/

So it appears Samsung is the one "who hasn't thrown the switch to turn it on" per the article?  Interesting.

I did find some Camera Test app and it says everything is there but a red X for the RAW art in 5.1.1.  Tried some camera app that supports RAW and it wouldn't work either.  This was via T-mobile who seemed to put the latest version out.  Very long update process too with my crummy AT&T DSL that took about 8 hours to do, but I was trying to avoid going off the tower as it would cut a lot into my GB/mo. plan (If they charge time for a firmware update?  Dunno.).

Guess we'll have to wait and see when Samsung "throws the switch" to enable it.

Aside, I tried the Google Camera (Which supposedly has RAW but not in the S6 yet.) and was amazed at how fast the Panoramic function works.  Just keep turning and aligning the dots (It automatically shoots.) and by the time I walked off the field it processed the panorama in highest rez mode.  For some reason, the image in the camera when shown on its LCD screen shows more of the panorama ends.  Might be some output size thing going on.  Odd.  Spherical is neat too, much like Google Earth street view where you can pan up and down (sometimes.).

SG

Otto Phocus

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 09:27:08 am »

Then why post when you are drunk in the first place?
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 01:21:49 am »

Yo, I post "drunk" all the time and never ask for any slack!

You can often determine my drunkenness by how unfiltered my posts are. At the moment, not drunk at all.

eronald

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:57:47 pm »

Yo, I post "drunk" all the time and never ask for any slack!

You can often determine my drunkenness by how unfiltered my posts are. At the moment, not drunk at all.

I think that there is research indicating that in habitual drunks alcohol molecules replace the usual brain neurotransmitters so being constantly drunk becomes a necessary condition for  thinking.

So keep a glass at your elbow ... :)

Edmund

Some Guy

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 11:56:44 am »

Bit of an update on the Samsung S6 Edge having played with it more of late.

The $4 app called "Camera FV-5" does allow for it to create a RAW or DNG image along with a JPG (About 30MB in size.).  Sort of a buggy app though in that it really doesn't work until the second shot is taken and then it begins taking RAW images.  Problem I've seen is that the camera's own camera app seems sharper.  I've read that the FV5 app may not be allowing the optical image stabilizer to work and might be the cause, but at least it appears it is slowly evolving to doing RAW.  I don't see the ability to turn on the optical stabilizer in the the FV-5 app's menu so that might be a bug for now.

If Samsung would do their own camera app and allow it, might be a big improvement.  Maybe Lollipop 5.1.2.  Seems Samsung is holding back on their RAW though even though the thing holds top ranking in DxOmark for now, and ahead of even their own plug-in iPhone hardware camera by one point. Fwiw, I haven't got one word out of Samsung on this hold-out either.

Also, the app called "SuperPhoto Full" ($4 again.) allows for some really neat post stuff.  I use a stylus (Big hands!) and the phone becomes a small Wacom tablet to create some really interesting images out of the JPGs of the phone.  Doesn't do the DNG images though, and only the paid version allows the HD (High Definition, 1920x1920  max.) images to be saved once altered - and it has thousands of possible alterations.  Pretty amazing having that much post-processing and editing power in a small phone.

SG

Some Guy

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 10:16:53 am »

Slow in here, so here's one off the S6 Edge of my motorcycle on a recent ride into the hills.

Done with the stock camera app, edited in Google's SnapSpeed (freeware), and then 'effected' in SuperPhoto Full ($4) all on the phone with a stylus.  I had to use CS6 to resize and post here though.

Still amazed all the processing power in my pocket.  It holds up shadow detail pretty well too as I calibrated it to my Sekonic L-478D Profile 2 target and compared it to the D800E and D7000.  Bit touchy on highlight though and loses about a stop in the range up there against the Nikons.

SG

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 08:29:16 am »

Not Galaxy S6 Edge, but from the normal Galaxy S6. For outings with the family, or the beach, etc, this is more than enough for me.

eronald

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:42:15 pm by eronald »

Some Guy

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 01:17:31 pm »

just so I find this again
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/galaxy-s6-raw-camera-samples/
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-enable-raw-dng-image-lower-iso-galaxy-s6-s6-edge-running-android-5-1-1-1507387

manual camera compatibility says my s6 has no raw
Manual camera says the same on mine about no RAW.  However, Camera FV-5 does make a DNG RAW file, along with either a JPG or PNG (You selection as to which of those two.).  I haven't bought the paid Manual Camera app so don't know if it writes a DNG or not since the Test part of Manual Camera says no supported.

Bad part with Camera FV-5 is the Auto Focus does not focus right and I can get better auto focus with the OEM camera than FV-5.  With FV-5 manual focus will work.  I somehow think the programmer for FV-5 has tapped into the optical vibration part well, or it just refuses to focus right at all.  The OEM also has face tracking the FV-5 seems to lag on.  Maybe the guy behind FV-5 will fix it, although it's been a couple of months so far and auto focus still misses.

Too bad Samsung has enabled the RAW save part in the cell camera's default OEM app.

SG

eronald

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 02:51:06 pm »

Manual camera says the same on mine about no RAW.  However, Camera FV-5 does make a DNG RAW file, along with either a JPG or PNG (You selection as to which of those two.).  I haven't bought the paid Manual Camera app so don't know if it writes a DNG or not since the Test part of Manual Camera says no supported.

Bad part with Camera FV-5 is the Auto Focus does not focus right and I can get better auto focus with the OEM camera than FV-5.  With FV-5 manual focus will work.  I somehow think the programmer for FV-5 has tapped into the optical vibration part well, or it just refuses to focus right at all.  The OEM also has face tracking the FV-5 seems to lag on.  Maybe the guy behind FV-5 will fix it, although it's been a couple of months so far and auto focus still misses.

Too bad Samsung has enabled the RAW save part in the cell camera's default OEM app.

SG

A new camera app may be coming now the s6+ is out

Edmund
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up