Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting LR CC behavior with no internet connection  (Read 13206 times)

lhodaniel

Interesting LR CC behavior with no internet connection
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:19:05 am »

Hi all,

I had a glitch in my home internet yesterday that required me to tether to my Ipad 4G service until it was fixed. I don't use mobile bandwidth much, so I only have a 1G plan. Because of this, I was connecting/disconnecting from the 4G as required. When not connected, LR CC stayed on the splash screen a long time and flashed a very long error message with all sorts of screen draw stuff. It had protracted "not responding" episodes. When I connected 4G, it behaved normally. This was a repeatable phenomenon. I thought it might be the mobile syncing stuff. I deleted all Smart Previews and went so far as to uninstall LR Mobile from my Ipad. The problem continued.

This is disturbing to me because of Adobe's promise that CC apps don't need a constant internet connection to function. Have any of you heard of or experienced this?

Lloyd

Jimbo57

Re: Interesting LR CC behavior with no internet connection
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:23:34 am »

You certainly don't need a continuous internet connection.

Adobe CC (Photoshop and Lightroom) should function normally for at least 30 days without a connection.

But maybe if you were just coming up to a routine polling, the polling would fail and cause the problems you mention.

It would be nice if Adobe would include some form of "polling timescale meter" so that you could see how long you had to run before a connection was required.

Gulag

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:41:07 pm »

It seems that LR6 even the standalone version calls home (Adobe and Adobe leased Amazon servers) ALL THE TIME and here are some sniffed network traffic data discussed on another forum with some interesting screen shots.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1363258/0

======
Child processes calling home

This shows that second-by-second Adobe is tracking every click I make and sending it back to Adobe

The "Answer Section" Shows Lightroom is connecting to an Adobe leased Amazon server.

and detailed traffic long

"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

dreed

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 07:57:42 pm »

If LrCC/Lr6 won't work without an Internet connection then when people go on photography trips to places like Antartica (where there ain't no Internet) there will be quite a fuss on board that Rockhopper boat...

Similarly, it would prevent someone on a transcontinental flight from opening up Lr whilst sitting down in business class and editing their work (again no Internet.)

Either Adobe haven't thought through this and they've been silly or the issue is being misreported...

rebadurchee

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:43:54 pm »

My internet is always on.  However, at least half the time I first start LR CC after bootup I get a dialog box that says "Server busy" and asks me to switch to another program.  The first time it happened I panicked and went looking through the Programs find... what?  After about 60 seconds the dialogue box disappeared and I could use the program.

The dialogue box gives you a button for 'cancel' but it doesn't work.  I also clicked on the red 'x' to close the box and that didn't work.  

I just have to wait (and wait) until it contacts the server before I can use the program.  I am seriously considering canceling CC and getting the standalone.  I don't like the lying and I don't like control from Adobe.

davidedric

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 04:54:51 am »

Lightroom CC will most certainly work without an internet connection (I am on 5.7) - just try switching off your router and see.

However, it does seem a little complex just how it determines if a connection is available.  If it thinks there should be one but then can't connect, that may cause trouble.

In my case the long display of the splash screen always seems to happen on the first use of the day, but not generally thereafter, though I haven't done any systematic testing.

Dave

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 06:25:59 am »

I'm routinely without internet connection at times and I have not had issues starting or using Lightroom 5 or 6CC. I'm on a MacBook Pro running OSX.

Jim MSP

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:22:12 am »

This appears to be a bug on Windows systems that has been reported to Adobe and recognized as such.

ButchM

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 09:57:06 am »

Lightroom CC will most certainly work without an internet connection (I am on 5.7) - just try switching off your router and see.

What you are overlooking is that Lr 6 CC behaves very differently from Lr 5.x (or any other prior version) when it comes to authentication/validation processes. The comparison isn't a true match in this respect between the two versions.

In my case the long display of the splash screen always seems to happen on the first use of the day, but not generally thereafter, though I haven't done any systematic testing.

Simply unchecking "Show splash screen at startup" and "Automatically check for updates" in preferences (they are on by default) will speed up starting up the program, even on the first time of the day. Part of the delay on the first open, is Lr checking with the home server for possible new updates. If the server is busy, this can take a bit of time and delays the startup process until a reply is received back indicating the status of any available updates and is entirely different than when CC is checking for user authentication or validation.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 05:23:26 pm »

Simply unchecking "Show splash screen at startup" and "Automatically check for updates" in preferences (they are on by default) will speed up starting up the program, even on the first time of the day. Part of the delay on the first open, is Lr checking with the home server for possible new updates. If the server is busy, this can take a bit of time and delays the startup process until a reply is received back indicating the status of any available updates and is entirely different than when CC is checking for user authentication or validation.
I get identical start up times with start up screen and update check enabled or not enabled.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

ButchM

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 06:33:53 pm »

I get identical start up times with start up screen and update check enabled or not enabled.

Did you perhaps miss the part about the time savings is on the first startup of the day?

If the "Check for updates" box is checked" it will check for updates on startup once er day. Subseqent startups will skip the check for updates routine until the next calendar day so you would not see any difference if you had already started Lr today before you made the preference change.

davidedric

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:55:12 am »

Simply unchecking "Show splash screen at startup" and "Automatically check for updates" in preferences (they are on by default) will speed up starting up the program,

Thanks, I'll give that a try

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:44 am »

This is disturbing to me because of Adobe's promise that CC apps don't need a constant internet connection to function. Have any of you heard of or experienced this?
I've run LR6 CC many times without net access.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jim MSP

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:00 pm »

I've run LR6 CC many times without net access.
It's how you get there that counts.
It is a known Windows 7 bug that Adobe is aware of and are working on.

LR >Computer > Router> Internet  = no problem
lose the internet
LR >Computer > Router> no Internet  = problem
disconnect from the router
LR >Computer > no Router> no Internet  = no problem

lhodaniel

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:58 pm »

This apparently happens with Win 8.1 Pro as well.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 07:58:03 pm »

Did you perhaps miss the part about the time savings is on the first startup of the day?

If the "Check for updates" box is checked" it will check for updates on startup once er day. Subseqent startups will skip the check for updates routine until the next calendar day so you would not see any difference if you had already started Lr today before you made the preference change.
Did it not occur to you that aspect may have been tested? Which was only one of the two variables you recommended anyway.
Tested it again with all the variables and the only difference is that the consistent start up time regardless of changes was that it consistently took 50% longer than the previous time.
But to be honest it I don't think it really matters anyway as start up times are inconsequential to me. But if you repeatedly open and close your programmes so much that such things would be of interest, your workflow is probably more of an issue.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

ButchM

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 10:47:46 am »

But if you repeatedly open and close your programmes so much that such things would be of interest, your workflow is probably more of an issue.

My initial response was to another forum participant in in reply to how to avoid a longer startup on the first open of the day when Lr is phoning home checking for possible updates. It isn't an issue for me or my workflow. Thank you for your astute observation and extremely thoughtful appraisal about my workflow. I will take it under consideration and advisement it was most helpful and kind of you to take my work day into concern.

Unfortunately, we do need to re-start/re-open Lightroom multiple times per work day. You see, I have several different main categories of clients. To keep our Libraries more manageable and to allow myself and my three full time employees access the over 16TB of images in our archive I use one Library for commercial accounts, one for sports/athletic events, one for hard news/feature/journalism and another for the wedding and portraiture work. We rotate using the various libraries as needed to meet our client's needs.

Until Adobe comes up with a method that we all can share a single library, it is the best method we have found to keep is all working instead of three of us lounging about while one of us is using the single library.

Of course, I'm sure you have a better idea since you are an expert on my workflow. As always, I await your sage wisdom in response.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:04:12 am by ButchM »

davidedric

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 04:00:03 pm »

OK.  With Lightroom CC 5.7 , unchecking the "check for updates" option, and the show splash screen which I don't suppose makes a difference,  has eliminated the slow start for me.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up