Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam ranger or other?  (Read 8137 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Cam ranger or other?
« on: May 12, 2015, 05:01:36 pm »

Im looking for ideas exclusively for client previews/live views. I will be shooting on location with no wireless and want a solution for showing while i shoot on the clients own ipad and/or mine. All tehy need to do is see the images and mark favorites. Any control of the camera is a non/issue for me. Is cam ranger the most reliable solution when no wireless network exists?

BenNorton

• Benjamin Norton Photography
Re: Cam ranger or other?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:12:14 pm »

Eyefi Mobi Pro? I bought one but its so far just sat in my bag. Hoping to give it a proper test next week on a shoot.
Architectural Photographer based in Louisville KY
Web

Conner999

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 05:23:43 pm »

Haven't tried others, but the CR is very robust, and works beautifully.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:58:33 am »

I'm pretty happy with the CamRanger so far.
Sending through Jpegs to a tablet in client mode is pretty quick and pain free IMHO.

mstevensphoto

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:59:19 am »

When sending the jpgs does it store them on the client ipad?  Can they tag favorites? Ever try multiple iPads connected at once?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:04:12 am »

I have been pretty happy with the Cam Ranger using a 5D Mark III. I have my own iPad set up to receive photos, and just hand it to the art director while I'm shooting. This is easier than trying to get them to install an app. I've also used it for still life shooting in the studio when the camera is high in the air - I can control it from my phone or iPad.

Dunno about multiple connections, haven't tried it.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:20:49 am »

When sending the jpgs does it store them on the client ipad?  Can they tag favorites? Ever try multiple iPads connected at once?

That's the issue with these 3rd party wifi solutions. They create disjointed JPG-separate workflows.

More camera makers need to follow Phase One's lead and provide native wifi which delivers image content on-demand and keeps the raws the center of the workflow so that you can review wirelessly but have all ratings/adjustments/naming be on the raw file rather than a separate JPG you have to later reconcile.

bjanes

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 11:17:22 am »

That's the issue with these 3rd party wifi solutions. They create disjointed JPG-separate workflows.

More camera makers need to follow Phase One's lead and provide native wifi which delivers image content on-demand and keeps the raws the center of the workflow so that you can review wirelessly but have all ratings/adjustments/naming be on the raw file rather than a separate JPG you have to later reconcile.

I agree that built in wi-fi is highly desirable for some applications, but one does not have to pay $20,000 for a Phase One camera to obtain this capability. It is available in many less expensive cameras as discussed in this article. Was Phase One really the first to offer this capability?

Regards,

Bill

Conner999

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 11:44:05 am »

It sends jpegs to pad, saves RAWs to camera.

It CAN store jpegs on pad, but slows it down. Best solution is two cards - shoot raw to one, shoot jpeg to other, saves processing time as CR send jpegs to ipad.

Has full control mode or just view mode where viewers can rate, zoom, etc. Has ability to add other viewers to network who can view (IIRC via sister CR 'share app on 2ndry pads/phones). I've tested with ipad and iPhone at same time and works.

smahn

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 12:34:05 pm »

Does the workflow fall apart if one ETTR?

Am I right to assume that the iPod would see uncropped and overexposed jpegs resembling little what a processed raw might be, or is there a way to send proxy raw images after processing?

dwswager

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:30:57 pm »

Im looking for ideas exclusively for client previews/live views. I will be shooting on location with no wireless and want a solution for showing while i shoot on the clients own ipad and/or mine. All tehy need to do is see the images and mark favorites. Any control of the camera is a non/issue for me. Is cam ranger the most reliable solution when no wireless network exists?

Simplest way would be wired HDMI out to a tablet, laptop or monitor.  That assumes you are controlling from the camera and the reviews are done inline with the shooting.  Files remain in one place and no real compatibility issues as long as the device takes HDMI.

If you need the camera shooting while the previews are on a different frames, then another story and there are multiple options.  I would recommend you have your own device if possible so that it can be better controlled, calibrated, etc. and it makes it simple since your client doesn't have to set anything up.  Probably would opt for a Surface Pro 3 that allows you to run just about anything on it.

Conner999

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 04:20:00 pm »

The CR transmits exactly what the camera's jpeg engine is set to deliver.  The other option is a wired tether to a laptop with presets set to give the client a closer proxy as to what a finished file may look like.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:50 pm »

I agree that built in wi-fi is highly desirable for some applications, but one does not have to pay $20,000 for a Phase One camera to obtain this capability. It is available in many less expensive cameras as discussed in this article. Was Phase One really the first to offer this capability?

The first wireless transmitters were released many years ago. But with these solutions you lose the cohesiveness of the workflow and have to choose between either wirelessly sending:
- Small JPGs; pretty fast, but no focus checking and you'll have to reconcile any editing when you download the raws from the CF card later
- Large JPGs: you can check focus, but it's pretty slow, and you'll have to reconcile any editing when you download the raws from the CF card later
- Send raws; very slow to send and very slow to work with on a mobile device, but you don't have to reconcile any edits later on

With Phase One's solution you get the speed of sending small JPGs, the focus checking of sending a full JPG, and your ratings are applied directly to the raw files. This is because Phase One itself is controlling all parts of this workflow (the camera firmware, the wifi module, and the iOS software) and is having the back act as a SERVER for two way communication rather than just a one-way transmitter.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 07:47:35 pm »

If you have access to 110 power at your shoots just create your own wifi network.

I shoot Canon tethered to a MacBookPro and I have an older airport express and the power supply for the laptop in a small bag and an extension cord.  Plug it in and I have power to the laptop and my own personal wifi network.  

I find this a far better solution than trying to use an ad hoc network from the laptop.

I shoot via Capture Pilot on my Ipad.  Files go directly into Capture One. Sadly with this system you don't record to the card in the camera, the files are saved on the computer. I run Dropsync to a usb SSD external and copy every 10 seconds so I have a backup.  

You can connect as many other wireless devices as you want, as long as they have the free Capture Pilot app ( you only need to upgrade to the paid camera control module if you want to control the camera.  The dedicated wifi from the Airport Express eliminates connection issues and the range is superb.  The only drawback, the long USB cord from the camera to the computer.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:52:55 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

mstevensphoto

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 08:14:32 am »

Thanks for the info folks.

The two shoots that brought up the topic will be remote with no good power or wifi in place already. im shooting canon and capture one isnt an option for this shoot. I dont want to be teathered, for one scene i will be in hip waders in water. Close enough for any wifi, no desire to be tethered to anything.

On cam ranger, im assuming one can shoot/send small jpg to speed things up. Can the client go forward and back or are they only seeing whats current in camera? If only current then hdmi to a small battery powered monitor is indeed cheaper and faster and easier. As art directors attention is often wandering i would love for them to be able to flip forward and back in the shots (without impacting me shooting) and then provide their direction, all while i continue shooting.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 09:50:13 am »

I shoot via Capture Pilot on my Ipad.  Files go directly into Capture One. Sadly with this system you don't record to the card in the camera, the files are saved on the computer. I run Dropsync to a usb SSD external and copy every 10 seconds so I have a backup.  

I find syncing is a much better and more complete form of backup anyway. Having duplicates of the unedited, unadjusted, originally named, originally (un)organized raws is good in the case of a disaster. But even better is to have a sync of all the raws, with ratings/tags/renames/reorganization in place.

You can connect as many other wireless devices as you want, as long as they have the free Capture Pilot app ( you only need to upgrade to the paid camera control module if you want to control the camera.  The dedicated wifi from the Airport Express eliminates connection issues and the range is superb.  The only drawback, the long USB cord from the camera to the computer.

I would suggest against more than a half dozen devices being connected at the same time. With a great wifi router and a powerful computer Capture One 8.2.2 can definitely handle multiple clients (e.g. a few iPads/iPhones) but if you get excessive you start to increase the chance for slowdowns and disconnections.

As a side note, the USB cord is not required for Phase One IQ2 backs, which have a Capture Pilot server and wifi built into the back.

Conner999

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 12:37:52 pm »

The client can scan thru images, rate them, etc as you continue to shoot. Once shoot over, can have CR on ipad email you a list of image file numbers from shoot with comments/ratings so you can reference against raw files.

Some Guy

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 11:22:42 pm »

I have a CamRanger and it is pretty nice.  No operational issues at all once the Wi-Fi key is given to the receiving tablets, phones, computers, or whatever.  I guess about 5 seconds JPG send-time until it shows on my tablet off the D800E.  No drain to the camera as it uses its own battery for the Wi-Fi signal.

They do have two different softwares for it:  One controls all the camera controls remotely.  The other is just a receiver/viewing device so they cannot monkey with the camera settings.

Have to make sure you get the right cable though.  Some use a mini or microUSB from the camera, and other might use the HDMI output jack to the CamRanger.  I would advise getting an extra battery too as it does seem to eat them in a few hours and recharging time is very, very slow.

SG

Conner999

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 12:05:39 pm »

+1 to above comments - also REMOVE the CR battery when not in use. It will gradually drain any installed battery even when turned off. Odd, but kept running into issue - until I started popping battery out between uses. Take 5 sec.
Pages: [1]   Go Up