Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Print 40" panorama on roll paper?  (Read 6882 times)

jackmacd

How to Print 40" panorama on roll paper?
« on: February 05, 2006, 05:30:19 pm »

I have a Mac, Photoshop CS2 and an Epson 4800. I am trying for the first time to print a panorama on a paper roll and seem limited by photoshop in the preview window. After guessing at choosing a print setup of 17X22" roll banner, it will not display in preview the 40" X16" size I wish. The preview only shows 22" and I assume it will only print what shows in the preview, especially since I am being warned that the image exceeds the paper area.
 Following another forum regarding a longer 58" on a 7600 I don't think I am being limited by photoshops 300,000 pixel limit. How can I choose/create 16"x40" for a roll of 17x100'? I tried "custom page size" but wasn't able to enter anything in the boxes. Thanks for any help. Jack

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 09:19:47 pm »

Under Page Setup, and under the bottom dropdown menu, you'll choose Manage Custom Sizes. When in the resulting dialog box, click the + button to add a new paper size. Double click on the name, which defaults to Untitled to rename it, and then plug in the horizontal and vertical dimensions. You will have to then go back and choose that new paper size before going on to Print w/ Preview.

p.tinson

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 01:41:35 pm »

When setting a custom page size for the Pro4800 the paper source is determined by the margins you set, for roll paper they need to 3mm all round. If margins of other than 3mm are set in any of the boxes the source becomes cut sheet with a selection in the print setup of ASF or manual feed. You should be able to print upto 94 inches from CS2 on a MAC.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 01:43:31 pm by p.tinson »

jackmacd

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 06:02:30 pm »

Thanks folks,

The key is knowing or guessing that one needs to click on the + to get the addition of a new page.
I had tried to fill out the form without hitting the + first and of course, nothing could be done.

The margin info is interesting. I used .5" and it worked ok since I did want a cut, but the 3mm is info I hadn't heard anywhere else.

4800 with roll is now doing fine. I should by stock in Epson, I use so much ink.

Thanks
Jack

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 11:01:11 pm »

They should have many many shareholders on that basis!
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Brettf

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 03:34:28 am »

Jack glad to hear you have everything up and running. I just purchased a R2400 and like you are trying to figure out how to print long prints. I have the custom paper setup but I need clarification on one thing. In the print settings did you use Manual-Roll or was it set to a roll automatically for you?

DGL

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 04:48:41 am »

Under Page Setup, and under the bottom dropdown menu, you'll choose Manage Custom Sizes. When in the resulting dialog box, click the + button to add a new paper size. Double click on the name, which defaults to Untitled to rename it, and then plug in the horizontal and vertical dimensions. You will have to then go back and choose that new paper size before going on to Print w/ Preview.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi - I am also trying to print out panoramas of a similar size (40" x 16") - I have read the string with interest but dont seem to have the same dialogue boxes as you mentiion.
My set up is mac osx 10.3.9 + photoshop cs version 8 + epson 4800 connected via firewire, I am using 17" roll media (none epson) which has been profiled using monaco profiler software.

You state 'Under Page Setup, and under the bottom dropdown menu, you'll choose Manage Custom Sizes' - I do not appear to have this option... is this from ps or epson print interface?

Obviously I have the ability to create a custom page size with 3mm all round but again don't have the + button bit.

Hope this all makes sense

p.tinson

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 04:20:39 pm »

The manage custom page size setting was introduced with OS x 10.4.
With 10.3 if my memory is correct you selec custom page size enter your width and hight set the margins for 3mm all round to get the paper source set to roll paper and this will be untitled you can then name it and save. then in the page setup you can select this paper.

For intrest for the 7800 and 9800 there is a new driver available on the epson.co.uk web site that when you set up a custom page size and set the margins to 0 all round, then in the printer set up you hav a drop down menu for the page setup.

peter

DGL

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 07:49:58 am »

The manage custom page size setting was introduced with OS x 10.4.
With 10.3 if my memory is correct you selec custom page size enter your width and hight set the margins for 3mm all round to get the paper source set to roll paper and this will be untitled you can then name it and save. then in the page setup you can select this paper.

For intrest for the 7800 and 9800 there is a new driver available on the epson.co.uk web site that when you set up a custom page size and set the margins to 0 all round, then in the printer set up you hav a drop down menu for the page setup.

peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the info Peter
Yesterday I downloaded the latest driver for the 4800 from the epson web site (SPro4800_26a)  + custom page size of 3mm as your suggestion.... that has done the trick!
I also have a 9800 so your info is very helpful - many thanks

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up