Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 645Z live view  (Read 1812 times)

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
645Z live view
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:03:09 pm »

Hello, just picked up a 645Z and so far I am loving it.
Wondering if anyone knows if there is a way  to use exposure simulation in live view (a nice feature that I like to use on my5dIII) I do not see anything in the manual so I am guessing not...

tsjanik

Re: 645Z live view
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:48:06 pm »

If I understand your question correctly Michael, you can adjust the exposure compensation dial while in live view and see changes in brightness - most dramatically in the over exposed areas, but overall brightness will change as well.
Another useful feature, if you have focus peaking on, is to use the preview switch to see the DOF (w/o loss of brightness even though the lens stops down.)

Tom

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 08:32:23 am »

Hello, just picked up a 645Z and so far I am loving it.
Wondering if anyone knows if there is a way  to use exposure simulation in live view (a nice feature that I like to use on my5dIII) I do not see anything in the manual so I am guessing not...

This confused me too at first, and is something I hope Pentax will fix with an update, but basically it works like this:
- Every mode other than M and X use "auto brightness" similar to "stills display" mode on a Canon camera, this will fully adjust the brightness based on the metering and where the focus box is in the live view when spot metering.
- M and X on the mode dial use the "exposure simulation" mode similar to that on a Canon camera but with one drawback, the simulated exposure will not adjust if any part of the metered image exceeds ±5EV, whereas on a Canon the exposure will get as dark or light as it possibly can regardless of what the metering system thinks.

This is a big drawback if, for instance, you're attempting set exposure for a scene with a single bright object you're willing to let over-expose, but the camera will not let the image get any brighter because that object exceeds +5EV. Additionally, exposure simulation on X mode means that you'll mostly be looking at a dark image since you'll be using settings that would normally be too dark to illuminate the subject without flash, who the heck thought of this?

Pentax should completely decouple metering from the exposure preview and also let you set either type of preview for any shooting mode.

michaelbiondo

• http://michael@michaelbiondo.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:07:21 pm »

Thanks Tom, I see now that it simulates the exposure only when the camera is within 5 stops of what is thinks is the correct exposure. Fine for most uses I guess. Also, the LV is adjustment is not quite as quick to preview the changed exposure as the canon, not so bad once one gets used to it. Nice trick with the focus peaking on in LV when using the dof preview.
MB
Pages: [1]   Go Up