Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: DCamProf - a new camera profiling tool  (Read 767998 times)

torger

Re: DCamProf - a new camera profiling tool
« Reply #500 on: June 09, 2015, 01:23:11 pm »

I'm working on a camera profiling article, still much work left, but here's a preview of an elaborate workflow to make a Dual-Illuminant DNG profile based on shots of a CC24 and a custom home-made inkjet printer target made on semi-glossy paper.

It also show a little how I work iteratively using plots as guides. I also use RawTherapee for visual evaluations when comparing the look of profiles.

# 1. Make a custom target to top of the CC24 with some super-saturated colors
  dcamprof make-testchart -l 15 -d 14.46,12.26 -O -p 210 custom-target.ti1
  printtarg -v -S -iCM -r -h -T300 -p A4 custom-target
    # 2. Print custom target to a semi-glossy OBA-free paper
    # 3. Scan the target with a spectrometer
  chartread -v -H -T0.4 custom-target
    # 4. Create reference file
  spec2cie -v -i D50 custom-target.ti3 glossy.cie
    # 5. Setup light and measure spectrum, save to light.sp for later use
  spotread -a -H -x
    # 6. Shoot CC24 target, glossy target, and white card.
    # 7. Crop export and convert to cc24.tif, glossy.tif and ff.tif
    # 8. Apply flatfield
  dcamprof testchart-ff cc24.tif ff.tif cc24-ff.tif
  dcamprof testchart-ff glossy.tif ff.tif glossy-ff.tif
    # 9. Scan values
  scanin -v -dipn cc24-ff.tif ColorChecker.cht cc24.cie
  scanin -v -dipn glossy-ff.tif custom-target.cht glossy.cie
    # 10. Merge targets into one, letting CC24 have priority
  dcamprof make-target -p cc24-ff.ti3 -a cc24 -p glossy-ff.ti3 -a glossy -d 0.03 combo.ti3
    # 11. Make a bunch of preliminary profiles to evaluate saturation
          when used with a film curve. Possibly you will want to
          desaturate the profile a little. Do the evaluation visually
          and subjectively in a raw converter.
  dcamprof make-profile -i light.sp combo.ti3 chroma.json ; dcamprof make-dcp -t acr chroma.json chroma-0.dcp
  dcamprof make-profile -i light.sp -k -1 combo.ti3 chroma.json ; dcamprof make-dcp -t acr chroma.json chroma-1.dcp
  dcamprof make-profile -i light.sp -k -2 combo.ti3 chroma.json ; dcamprof make-dcp -t acr chroma.json chroma-2.dcp
  dcamprof make-profile -i light.sp -k -3 combo.ti3 chroma.json ; dcamprof make-dcp -t acr chroma.json chroma-3.dcp
  dcamprof make-profile -i light.sp -k -4 combo.ti3 chroma.json ; dcamprof make-dcp -t acr chroma.json chroma-4.dcp
    # 12. Using the found chroma adjustment make a preliminary
    #     profile, dumping plots. Exclude glossy from the matrix
    #     optimizer to get as good base match as possible for the
    #     important normal colors represented by cc24
  dcamprof make-profile -r dump1 -w cc24 0,1 -w glossy 0,0 -i light.sp -k -1.5 combo.ti3 preliminary.json
    # 13. Start gnuplot (cd dump1; gnuplot -background gray) and plot
    #     target and LUT, plus LUT stretch vectors and DE vectors.
    #     Use 'set view equal xyz' and 'set view equal xy' to turn
    #     on/off scaling of lightness axis, must be turned off if
    #     error vectors are viewed in 3D.
  gnuplot> splot 'nve-lut.dat' w l lc "beige", 'gmt-locus.dat' w l lw 4 lc rgb var, \
    'gmt-adobergb.dat' w l lc "red", 'gmt-pointer.dat' w l lw 2 lc rgb var, \
    'target-nve-lutve2.dat' w vec lc "black", 'target-nve-lutvm.dat' w vec lw 2 lc "olive", \
    'targetd50-xyz.dat' pt 4 lc rgb var, 'targetd50-xyz.dat' using 1:2:3:5 w labels offset 3
    # 14. Look in the plot for patches that pull in opposite directions and cause a
    #     bad bend in the LUT. Add those (typically one or two) to an
    #     exclude.txt and render
  dcamprof make-profile -r dump1 -x exclude.txt -w cc24 0,1 -w glossy 0,0 -i light.sp -k 1.5 combo.ti3 preliminary.json
    # 15. Make matrix-only and full correction profiles for sanity
    #     check comparisons later
  dcamprof make-dcp -n "Canon EOS 5D Mark II" -t acr preliminary.json no-relax.dcp
  dcamprof make-dcp -n "Canon EOS 5D Mark II" -t acr -L preliminary.json matrix.dcp
    # 16. Relax the LUT (primarily for the glossy class) to improve
    #     smoothness. Re-render and replot for each change.
    #  a) It may be worthwhile to lock the matrix before changing DE k
    #     weights: save profile to separate file matrix.json and
    #     provide -m and -f parameters.
    #  a) Try relaxing DE weight even for the important CC24, setting
    #     it to at least 1 leads often to some relax without much loss
    #     in accuracy.
    #  b) Try changing CIEDE2000 k weights, 4,1,1 good start (less
    #     weight on lightness)
    # Example result after iterating:
  dcamprof make-profile -r dump1 -x exclude.txt -f matrix.json -m matrix.json \
    -w cc24 2,1,4,1,1 -w glossy 4,0,4,4,1 -i light.sp -k -1.5 combo.ti3 final-1.json
    # 17. Make final DCP, sanity check it by comparing it with
    #     no-relax.dcp and matrix.dcp. It should have better high
    #     saturation correction than matrix.dcp, and not lose too much
    #     accuracy compared to no-relax.dcp
  dcamprof make-dcp -n "Canon EOS 5D Mark II" final-1.json final-1.dcp
    # 18. Repeat steps 5 - 17 for the second illuminant
    # 19. Merge to a dual-illuminant profile, here using a default
    #     film curve
  dcamprof make-dcp -n "Canon EOS 5D Mark II" -t acr final-1.json final-2.json final-dual.dcp

AlterEgo

« Reply #501 on: June 09, 2015, 01:25:43 pm »

0.7.4 build for Windows (mingw = dcamprof.exe + libgomp_64-1.dll + PDF manual / copy of Torger's blog) : https://app.box.com/s/ujo64khq6blhsxpxgmxcczg8jm19vtiz

AlterEgo

« Reply #502 on: June 09, 2015, 07:03:19 pm »

so I shall find out tonight... whether I can measure the black patches on CCSG or not

Swiss engineering... cables !!!

it seems to be working... __HOWEVER__ my CC SG black patches are still reading in line with i1pro2 data... which is L ~10-11... what that might be now ? do I have defective Spectrolino ? light trap it reads many times perfectly 0.00xxx for L/a/b (more consistent than i1pro2, but then it fits the light trap hole more tightly)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:12:56 pm by AlterEgo »

Iliah

« Reply #503 on: June 09, 2015, 08:49:11 pm »

It was designed for old Macs, with round serial (modem/printer port on PowerMacs, pre-G3; page 69, bottom drawing of http://www.xrite.com/documents/literature/gmb/en/spectrolino_serial_5_en.pdf - get it before it is gone, it contains serial protocol commands). Makes for 1 data cable and a power cable through "T-adapter" (power injector). Mine is a bit later model, so-called "purple", and power injector is combined with serial, does not need T-adapter.

L*=10..11 instead of L*=6..7 is seriously high. Is the target clean? Any dust in Spectrolino (on your shot the measurement head was without a "N" filter)?

AlterEgo

« Reply #504 on: June 09, 2015, 09:51:30 pm »

http://www.xrite.com/documents/literature/gmb/en/spectrolino_serial_5_en.pdf - get it before it is gone, it contains serial protocol commands).

thank you for the link !

Makes for 1 data cable and a power cable through "T-adapter" (power injector). Mine is a bit later model, so-called "purple", and power injector is combined with serial, does not need T-adapter.

the strange thing is that while Mac "T-cable" (that black thing) is working for power connection, PC "T-adapter" (silver box labeled "Gretag Adapter Mini-DIN Part 36.19.58") is not (it passes the data, but not taking in the power, so I have to use the one for Mac = hence so many connections)

L*=10..11 instead of L*=6..7 is seriously high. Is the target clean?

it is - at least black patches are, those were the first thing I measured when I switched the whole thing on (I did that 10 sec pressing button reset first with Spectrolino with "U" ("N") filter and on a calibration tile)

Any dust in Spectrolino (on your shot the measurement head was without a "N" filter)?

if not -how to clean the lens (w/ filter off it) ? just with a soft cloth ? no isopropyl alcohol ?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:01:15 pm by AlterEgo »

AlterEgo

« Reply #505 on: June 09, 2015, 09:57:43 pm »

I fully measured CC Passport so far (attached for posterity)

1) D6 patch has "Y" = 3.116 - which is close to the number you mentioned above in this topic

2) measurements, it seems to me, are very consistent between themselves (I did 5 in a row, calibration before each, and averaged) - seems better than with i1pro2 (but again that might be an operator error when I was using i1pro2 for Passport)

*** done, 1.32 -> 1.68 *** 3) it seems that it is possible to upgade firmware for Spectrolino, my is from 1998 and v1.32 (firmware)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:50:59 pm by AlterEgo »

Iliah

AlterEgo

« Reply #507 on: June 10, 2015, 12:13:14 am »

Since Passport was measured within the specs as it seems, the measurements of the SG target may be wrong because the target is out of specs.
seems strange that spectrophotometer manufacturers always include a white calibration tile , but not something like a "black" calibration tile... so what might be the way to find the truth ? why reading light trap (which gives something like 0.0x ) does not answer the question if the device functions properly ? I took a piece of sufficiently black velvet and Spectrolino reads it as L = 7.08 and it visually looks to me way darker than black patches on my CCSG, but then it is not even semiglossy

Iliah

« Reply #508 on: June 10, 2015, 12:24:36 am »

Spectrophotometer calibration tiles are very expensive, a set can easily be more than a grand. It is cheaper to send the device to a calibration service (not necessarily X-Rite). When you read black trap there is no stray light, so the only thing you are getting is that the noise is sufficiently low. Velvet allows for some light from the sides to get to the spectrophotometer. You may also want to e-mail X-Rite with the question - why the black patches are read abnormally high. Maybe they will replace your target, or say something useful. And of course try cleaning.

AlterEgo

« Reply #509 on: June 10, 2015, 12:29:02 am »

Velvet allows for some light from the sides to get to the spectrophotometer.
so I switched all lights in the room and it's past midnight in rural area -> result is XYZ: 0.732348 0.748855 0.654355, D50 Lab: 6.764379 0.415899 -0.691388 ...

torger

« Reply #510 on: June 10, 2015, 01:42:14 am »

so I switched all lights in the room and it's past midnight in rural area -> result is XYZ: 0.732348 0.748855 0.654355, D50 Lab: 6.764379 0.415899 -0.691388 ...

Just so I don't miss what happened, so you got lower values now, those 6.7 instead of 11 earlier? I guess I should in the docs recommend reading glossy targets in dark rooms then, to avoid stray light issues?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #511 on: June 10, 2015, 07:07:50 am »

Just so I don't miss what happened, so you got lower values now, those 6.7 instead of 11 earlier? I guess I should in the docs recommend reading glossy targets in dark rooms then, to avoid stray light issues?

Or shoot them at an angle, facing a black background (which is mirrored by target surface).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

torger

« Reply #512 on: June 10, 2015, 07:29:07 am »

Or shoot them at an angle, facing a black background (which is mirrored by target surface).

We're discussing the spectrometer measurement, not the photo :)

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #513 on: June 10, 2015, 08:37:47 am »

seems strange that spectrophotometer manufacturers always include a white calibration tile , but not something like a "black" calibration tile
They do - it's the white calibration tile. When you don't turn the illuminant on, you get black.

AlterEgo

« Reply #514 on: June 10, 2015, 08:38:35 am »

no, I have or have access now to 3 different spectrophotometers

1) ColorMunki Design
2) i1Pro2
3) Spectrolino/Green

my "issue" is - can I measure the black patches on my own CCSG or I can not... a $1000 question !

so far it seems all 3 are measuring them (including operator errors too) within L* = upper 10s - lower 12s

Iliah and CCSG data from PM are saying those shall be ~7s

so my next try this evening will be - I will took a piece of black velvet (which Spectrolino apparently measures as darker than black patches on my CCSG - that is what I was referring to by saying " result is XYZ: 0.732348 0.748855 0.654355, D50 Lab: 6.764379 0.415899 -0.691388" - about that velvet w/o any ambient light), switch the light off and measure it with all 3 devices to see if there is a difference between CM, i1Pro2 and Spectrolino ...

and I will try to write a WTF letter to X-Rite too...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:42:34 pm by AlterEgo »

AlterEgo

« Reply #515 on: June 10, 2015, 08:40:15 am »

They do - it's the white calibration tile. When you don't turn the illuminant on, you get black.
good catch, "black"

torger

« Reply #516 on: June 10, 2015, 08:57:06 am »

Just speculating, maybe they've changed the formula on newer CCSG targets, having made the black patches brighter? That would reduce the glare problem and make the target easier to use.

Iliah

« Reply #517 on: June 10, 2015, 11:53:57 am »

Black tile is 1% reflection +/-1% accuracy. In "no light" measurement mode spectrophotometer is usually hard-pressed against the white tile, and the tile itself is usually installed in  a holder that fits the spectrophotometer head, to ensure no stray light. It is not the same as calibration against flat black tile.

Iliah

« Reply #518 on: June 10, 2015, 12:00:26 pm »

Just speculating, maybe they've changed the formula on newer CCSG targets, having made the black patches brighter? That would reduce the glare problem and make the target easier to use.
Checked Robin Mayers measurements, target production dates 2005-2007 (same generation as mine), he used Spectrolino with D65 filter, and got L*=7.5..9.5
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:02:29 pm by Iliah »

AlterEgo

« Reply #519 on: June 10, 2015, 12:39:24 pm »

Checked Robin Mayers measurements, target production dates 2005-2007 (same generation as mine), he used Spectrolino with D65 filter, and got L*=7.5..9.5

as I noted earlier in this thread mine is some new design (I mean where logo is printed - certainly not from 2007 or earlier) and I do not have access to other CCSGs around to check...

here is how it looks :

may be X-Rite decided to make patches lighter so that i1pro level devices could measure them ? just a wild guess... I am yet to email to xrite, trying to fix a notebook after yet another series of W8.1 patches.

PS: what was the point to use D65 filter with Spectrolino to measure the target for him ?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:41:29 pm by AlterEgo »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 78   Go Up