Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 04:11:56 am

Title: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 04:11:56 am
(Tongue in cheek mode on...)

I am fed up with people criticising MF cameras and arguing nobody needs that many pixels. I had a look at fine art inkjet printers. These print on roll paper and come in width up to 60" (150cm). Using the standard 4x3 aspect ratio, they would print an image sized 60" x 80" (150cm x 200cm).

The printers have the same linear resolution than the smaller inkjets, hence they need to be fed the same ppi. Native ppi is something like 300-360 ppi.

300 ppi for 60" x 80" is 18000 x 24000 pixels, 432 million pixels. Anything less is a waste of a perfectly good printer.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Manoli on October 01, 2014, 04:28:15 am
You exaggerate,

We're not arguing about the pixels, we're arguing about the format.
You need all 432 million pixels, you just don't gain an advantage from MF - 432 with a 24x36 sensor is fine.

Anything less and you're in the P&S domain.

Title: Re:
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 01, 2014, 04:48:39 am
That sounds about right for a 24x36 sensor. I think we would be  limited by the glass at that point.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 01, 2014, 04:56:12 am
It is available today and called stitching! ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 01, 2014, 05:08:11 am
Hi,

What I have seen I would say 200 MP would be ideal on full frame 645.

At 6.8 microns I see a lot of aliasing that goes away at f/16. So for aliasing free rendition we would need 3.4 microns at f/8.

If we assume 54 sensor and 5/4 ratio we would have:

54 / 0.0034 * 43 / 0.0034 -> 200 MP

So, this would assume shooting at f/8.

Shooting wider apertures, with the best lenses, even more resolution would be useful.

Best regards
Erik


Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Manoli on October 01, 2014, 05:09:59 am
Bernard,

Please try and understand that stitching may be an option for you landscape boys, but I can't stitch when I'm shooting Natasha Poly - and even if I could, editors wouldn't accept it and my tethering software even less.

So 432 million it is - native !

M
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 05:22:16 am
Well... 432 million pixels on 24 x 36 mm implies pixels of 1.33 µm (cell-phone size...). 432 million pixels on 53.7 x 40.4 mm implies pixels of 2.24 µm. I am pretty sure that the second one gives a more usable aperture for the diffraction limit.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Chairman Bill on October 01, 2014, 05:46:15 am
... when I'm shooting Natasha Poly ...

I suspect I'd probably forget to even check that there was a memory card fitted, let alone be worrying about the resolution
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: eronald on October 01, 2014, 07:06:03 am
Like all good satire, this is close to the truth. My first digicam was 640x480 pixels, now we are at 80MP, I am quite sure we will get to 500MP in the reasonable future.

Edmund


(Tongue in cheek mode on...)

I am fed up with people criticising MF cameras and arguing nobody needs that many pixels. I had a look at fine art inkjet printers. These print on roll paper and come in width up to 60" (150cm). Using the standard 4x3 aspect ratio, they would print an image sized 60" x 80" (150cm x 200cm).

The printers have the same linear resolution than the smaller inkjets, hence they need to be fed the same ppi. Native ppi is something like 300-360 ppi.

300 ppi for 60" x 80" is 18000 x 24000 pixels, 432 million pixels. Anything less is a waste of a perfectly good printer.
Title: Re: Sv: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 01, 2014, 07:39:38 am
Well... 432 million pixels on 24 x 36 mm implies pixels of 1.33 µm (cell-phone size...). 432 million pixels on 53.7 x 40.4 mm implies pixels of 2.24 µm. I am pretty sure that the second one gives a more usable aperture for the diffraction limit.
If you put it like that then it's feasible. Samsung could do it today. I want the 400 mpix landscape version NX800E :-)
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 01, 2014, 07:51:37 am
Hi,

Jim Kasson looked at it in great detail and I guess he found that something like 2.5 microns were needed for what he called balance performance on the Otus.

The problem with small pixels is that they will look very soft at actual pixels. They also may need a good downscaling algorithm. Epson printers go to 720 PPI resolution native. The 2.24 microns would give you a 48.9 x 24.8" print on 720 PPI, which people with normal vision could study at 12.5 cm distance with a +8 diopter eyeglass.

But, seriously something like 3 microns would be a very good compromise between sensor resolution and lens resolution.

Best regards
Erik


Well... 432 million pixels on 24 x 36 mm implies pixels of 1.33 µm (cell-phone size...). 432 million pixels on 53.7 x 40.4 mm implies pixels of 2.24 µm. I am pretty sure that the second one gives a more usable aperture for the diffraction limit.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 09:04:22 am
The 2.24 microns would give you a 48.9 x 24.8" print on 720 PPI

The object of this thread is to discuss 60" x 80" prints (150cm x 200cm) on fine art inkjets. The printers exist, they are readily available and cost less than the average MF camera (e.g. Canon imagePROGRAF iPF9400 or Epson Stylus Pro 11880). How are we going to feed them with adequate data? There is no adequate camera on the market today.

OK: we can stitch. That is cumbersome: how many individual pictures do we need from a lowly camera like an IQ280 to feed the printer?

As eronald noted, this post is satyre, but is based on truth. The printers exist. I believe that people like Andreas Gursky use them to great success. Actually, "Rhein II" is 190 cm × 360 cm (73" x 143") and is a chromogenic print (Lambda print), so it needs even more data. And there is a body of water right in the middle, which makes it extra difficult to stitch.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 01, 2014, 11:38:45 am
The object of this thread is to discuss 60" x 80" prints (150cm x 200cm) on fine art inkjets. The printers exist, they are readily available and cost less than the average MF camera (e.g. Canon imagePROGRAF iPF9400 or Epson Stylus Pro 11880). How are we going to feed them with adequate data? There is no adequate camera on the market today.

Hi Jerome,

It doesn't depend on input pixels alone. It also has to do with the acuity of human vision, which is also depending on distance because we have an angular resolution capability of approx. 1 minute of arc per line in output, or 60 cycles per degree (generally corresponding to '20/20' vision as measured with the Snellen eye chart in US customary measure, '6/6' in SI units).

What that means is that depending on the viewing distance, all cameras can have adequate resolution, although the better ones allow to achieve that resolution in output that is viewed from a shorter distance, and can be magnified more before it breaks down. So as per your question about output of 60x80 inches, it can be viewed from different distances, and better input resolution will allow shorter viewing distances. All is easy to calculate with my Output Quality Calculator tool (http://bvdwolf.home.xs4all.nl/main/foto/dofplan/dofplan.html), and will also determine the consequences for DOF.

Quote
OK: we can stitch. That is cumbersome: how many individual pictures do we need from a lowly camera like an IQ280 to feed the printer?

From my tool:
1 IQ280 image when viewed at 100 inches distance (for a normal perspective impression), printed at 129.1 PPI
4 images (+some overlap) for close to half the viewing distance,
etc., etc.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Actually, we need even more resolution --- than any lens gives?
Post by: BJL on October 01, 2014, 11:58:26 am
Well... 432 million pixels on 24 x 36 mm implies pixels of 1.33 µm (cell-phone size...). 432 million pixels on 53.7 x 40.4 mm implies pixels of 2.24 µm. I am pretty sure that the second one gives a more usable aperture for the diffraction limit.
Only in that the 36x24mm format would require an f-stop of about f/2 or lower to control diffraction, while the 54x40mm could control diffraction equally at about f/3 and lower --- with each having the same pathetically shallow DOF when diffraction is equally controlled. So about 420 million of those pixels would be OOF and so wasted as far as resolution goes.

The larger format would have the lens design advantage of needing less low f-stops. For example:
- an 80mm lens for 54x40mm format that is "430MP sharp" at f/3
is probably an easier lens design goal than
- a 50mm lens for 36x24mm format that is "430MP sharp" at f/2.

But do either of these lenses exist?


The iron trade-of between DOF and diffraction means that these massive pixel counts probably need focus stacking with anything but distant landscapes that have no foreground needing to be in focus.
And as Bernard will surely remind us, when you can do focus stacking, you can probably to stitching too, and the lenses have a better chance of giving adequate resolution at those low f-stops.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 11:59:19 am
It doesn't depend on input pixels alone. It also has to do with the acuity of human vision, which is also depending on distance

Nope. I want the public to be able to examine the print with a magnifier, mm per mm if needs be. Why do you think Canon and Epson make printers capable of fine art print on 60" / 150 cm rolls? The printers will sustain a linear resolution of at least 300 ppi on the full length of their bed. That is a feat of engineering and comes with a price tag, yet that price tag is smaller than your average MF camera. You want me to feed that miracle of technology with inferior data? Forget it.

Besides: if I limit myself to lower quality, there are even larger printers available.

The printers are there, I want to use them to their full potential. I want the public to watch the large picture from the distance, then move closer and closer and discover more and more details. Have you been to a gallery or museum presenting really large prints recently?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution --- than any lens gives?
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 12:03:38 pm
Only in that the 36x24mm format would require an f-stop of about f/2 or lower to control diffraction, while the 54x40mm could control diffraction equally at about f/3 and lower --- with each having the same pathetically shallow DOF when diffraction is equally controlled. So about 420 million of those pixels would be OOF and so wasted as far as resolution goes.

The larger format would have the lens design advantage of needing less low f-stops. For example:
- an 80mm lens for 54x40mm format that is "430MP sharp" at f/3
is probably an easier lens design goal than
- a 50mm lens for 36x24mm format that is "430MP sharp" at f/2.

But do either of these lenses exist?


The iron trade-of between DOF and diffraction means that these massive pixel counts probably need focus stacking with anything but distant landscapes that have no foreground needing to be in focus.
And as Bernard will surely remind us, when you can do focus stacking, you can probably to stitching too, and the lenses have a better chance of giving adequate resolution at those low f-stops.

Shallow depth of field is not necessarily a limitation for pretty large prints, as shown in this video: http://lectures.icp.edu/archive/videos/2011/Learoyd2011.html (http://lectures.icp.edu/archive/videos/2011/Learoyd2011.html)
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: bjanes on October 01, 2014, 12:05:28 pm
Hi,

What I have seen I would say 200 MP would be ideal on full frame 645.

At 6.8 microns I see a lot of aliasing that goes away at f/16. So for aliasing free rendition we would need 3.4 microns at f/8.

If we assume 54 sensor and 5/4 ratio we would have:

54 / 0.0034 * 43 / 0.0034 -> 200 MP

So, this would assume shooting at f/8.

Shooting wider apertures, with the best lenses, even more resolution would be useful.

Best regards
Erik

Roger Clark has published an interesting article (http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/megapixel_myth/index.html) that concludes that about 200 MP is necessary to have an image that can knock off the socks of a viewer in an exhibition gallery. This can be obtained with 4*5 inch film, but would require stitching with any currently available digital camera.

Bill
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 12:15:14 pm
This can be obtained with 4*5 inch film

Hiroshi Sugimoto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Sugimoto) believes he needs 8 * 10 inch film for his massive prints. They sure look impressive.

He also needs a purpose-build enlarging room, special order of photo paper and an army of retouchers. But, yes, you are right: it can be done.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 01, 2014, 12:18:44 pm
Nope. I want the public to be able to examine the print with a magnifier, mm per mm if needs be.

Exactly my point, it depends on viewing distance, so yep.

Quote
Why do you think Canon and Epson make printers capable of fine art print on 60" / 150 cm rolls?

Two reasons, one is to allow nesting of many images on a relatively affordable length of paper/canvas/etc., an other is to produce wide format output in one piece, not necessarily at the same resolution of the multiple smaller prints. IOW, flexibility.

Quote
The printers will sustain a linear resolution of at least 300 ppi on the full length of their bed. That is a feat of engineering and comes with a price tag, yet that price tag is smaller than your average MF camera. You want me to feed that miracle of technology with inferior data? Forget it.

But you can. There is no obligation to feed it 300 or 360 PPI captured detail, especially when the viewing distancee doesn't require it. The added flexibility is that one can (not must but can) feed it lots of real capture detail, but that requires a lot of data and huge files.

Quote
The printers are there, I want to use them to their full potential. I want the public to watch the large picture from the distance, then move closer and closer and discover more and more details. Have you been to a gallery or museum presenting really large prints recently?

Yes, but I don't see the relevance. It you want to inspect with a loupe, and expect to see more detail (instead of the same detail but larger), then by all means shoot with a larger (virtual) sensor with more sensels. Stitching is a very viable way to increase input resolution for large output. It is also much easier than some believe, even with moving subjects (although they may require a bit more experience and post-processing).

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 01, 2014, 12:23:45 pm
Hiroshi Sugimoto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshi_Sugimoto) believes he needs 8 * 10 inch film for his massive prints. They sure look impressive.

Others have used bigger cameras ..., contact prints are much better than enlargements ;)

(https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_mee72oWxPt1qz5q5oo1_1280.jpg)

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution --- than any lens gives?
Post by: Manoli on October 01, 2014, 12:51:59 pm
Only in that the 36x24mm format would require an f-stop of about f/2 or lower to control diffraction, while the 54x40mm could control diffraction equally at about f/3 and lower --- with each having the same pathetically shallow DOF when diffraction is equally controlled. So about 420 million of those pixels would be OOF and so wasted as far as resolution goes.

This thread is veering towards the [/tongue-in-cheek] mode: OFF.
But before we officially revert to customary LuLa dialogue ...

I'll settle for the 400 million f/2 pathetically OOF  .. sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts

(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NQRpUtCKOj0/T8c7uxI8l0I/AAAAAAAAFH8/NQeH8Bdmcqw/s1600/Pirelli+Calendar+2008+2.jpg)
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 01:53:15 pm
Others have used bigger cameras ..., contact prints are much better than enlargements ;)

(https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_mee72oWxPt1qz5q5oo1_1280.jpg)


(tongue in cheek mode is still on)

But this is a small camera!



This is a big camera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Picture)

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/GP_Hanging_In_Camera_RJ.jpg/800px-GP_Hanging_In_Camera_RJ.jpg)
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 01, 2014, 02:03:24 pm
Hi,

I guess that the question may be a bit academic. It is quite obvious that very small pixels are needed for optimal image quality, but fortunately enough we are limited by our vision, which is dominated with low frequency detail. Clearly, the eye can resolve fine detail with large contrast, but the contrast sensitivity of the eye is highest at low frequencies.

It is well explained in this presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKDjLeNlsQ 

Now, the above presentation is about motion film, which is presented on large screen, with well controlled viewing distance. Still it makes two things pretty clear:

- Human vision is dominated by low frequencies (10-20 lp/mm in motion industry)
- Higher resolutions are helpful to suppress aliasing artefacts

The motion industry wanted lenses that reach something like 90% MTF at 10-20 lp/mm, without sharpening. That is one reason why movie lenses are that big and expensive.

Now, photography is not motion, at least not yet. We can view large prints close. But I would still be pretty sure that low frequency detail dominates perception and the main benefit of high resolution is to reduce fake detail.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 02:44:19 pm
I guess that the question may be a bit academic.

Not at all. The printers exist.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 01, 2014, 03:01:44 pm
Hi,

Yes, I know those printers exist. I am also among them who feel higher resolution is a good thing.

But, I know that we are using a physical device called human eye to look at prints, and I know that device has it's limitations.

It has been said that Anders Gursky shoots with 50 MP MFD, and I got the impression that his prints are OK. Are they OK? Would they be better with 400 MPix? Could you see the difference? I would guess that the folks doing the prints for him have a pretty good resizing and sharpening work flow.

But, yes, I do feel that something like 3 microns would be ideal for large sensors and a perhaps 2 microns for small sensors as there may be little reason to go below mean diffusion length for photons in silicon. And yes, that would limit optimum aperture to f/4 to f/5.6, but images would still get smoother and have less aliasing at smaller apertures.

Check this: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/02/why-80-megapixels-just-wont-be-enough.html

The part which I feel Ctein misses is sharpening. I would say sharpening is a bit of faking image quality, but it works. Let's put it this way, I would clearly suppose that a well sharpened image at say 180 lp/mm is probably superior to an unsharpened image at 360 or 720 PPI. It would not work if you look at the image trough a loupe, because you would see edge contras but no detail. Again, if you have extraordinary vision, your mileage may vary.

Best regards
Erik

Not at all. The printers exist.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 01, 2014, 03:42:07 pm
It has been said that Anders Gursky shoots with 50 MP MFD, and I got the impression that his prints are OK.

Most of Andreas Gursky's work was shot on large format cameras and extensively manipulated digitally, including assembling several pictures, removing or adding elements, etc... In a sense, his works are stitched landscapes on steroids. The files sent to the printers certainly have more than the equivalent of 50 Mpixels.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 01, 2014, 04:53:59 pm
The object of this thread is to discuss 60" x 80" prints (150cm x 200cm) on fine art inkjets. The printers exist, they are readily available and cost less than the average MF camera (e.g. Canon imagePROGRAF iPF9400 or Epson Stylus Pro 11880). How are we going to feed them with adequate data? There is no adequate camera on the market today.

OK: we can stitch. That is cumbersome: how many individual pictures do we need from a lowly camera like an IQ280 to feed the printer?

As eronald noted, this post is satyre, but is based on truth. The printers exist. I believe that people like Andreas Gursky use them to great success. Actually, "Rhein II" is 190 cm × 360 cm (73" x 143") and is a chromogenic print (Lambda print), so it needs even more data. And there is a body of water right in the middle, which makes it extra difficult to stitch.

I have never seen Rhein II in person, but from the small versions I have seen on the web, I don't think it would be a particularly challenging stitch.

My opinion remains that the only thing impressive about it is the price at which it was sold. ;)

Cheers,
Bernare
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: JV on October 01, 2014, 04:57:57 pm
My opinion remains that the only thing impressive about it is the price at which it was sold. ;)

It still seems to top the list...:
http://shutyouraperture.com/the-top-5-most-expensive-photographs-ever-sold/
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution --- than any lens gives?
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 01, 2014, 05:15:10 pm
Only in that the 36x24mm format would require an f-stop of about f/2 or lower to control diffraction, while the 54x40mm could control diffraction equally at about f/3 and lower --- with each having the same pathetically shallow DOF when diffraction is equally controlled.

In my simulations, for a 24x36mm sensor, 2.4 um spacing offers substantial resolution advantages over 2.8 um with a simulated Otus 55 even at (actually, especially at) f/5.6. There's not a lot of benefit in going to 2 um at that f/stop, but there is a bit.

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=5905

With a diffraction-limited lens at f/2.8, even 2 um is not at the point of diminishing returns.

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=5887

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution --- than any lens gives?
Post by: BJL on October 01, 2014, 05:19:16 pm
But before we officially revert to customary LuLa dialogue ...

I'll settle for the 400 million f/2 pathetically OOF  .. sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts
(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NQRpUtCKOj0/T8c7uxI8l0I/AAAAAAAAFH8/NQeH8Bdmcqw/s1600/Pirelli+Calendar+2008+2.jpg)
Your image is only 0.4MP.  If a 430MP version were available, and printed large enough and viewed close enough as the OP envisions, the DOF would be vastly less: the perceived OOF effects and thus DOF (which parts of the image are detectably OOF vs which are not) depends on the apparent size of the image (size divided by viewing distance), not just features of the "file" itself.  (P. S. DOF scales on lenses are an anachronistic, misleading abomination.)

To put it another way, the pixel size for 430MP in 54x40mm format is about 2.3 microns, so the circle of confusion size to use in a DOF calculator would be about that, not the more traditional 30 or 40 microns, which was based on 7"x5" prints from 36x24mm format negatives viewed from 10" away.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Chris Barrett on October 01, 2014, 05:40:54 pm
I've been thinking a LOT about all of this lately, especially since I've just started making prints of my work again and thinking about exhibition.  Yesterday I was at the Museum of Contemporary Photography here in Chicago and there were a couple of 40x50 prints from Richard Mosse.  The images were shot on 8x10 Infrared Color Neg and they were exquisite.

I've also seen Sugimoto's big prints up close and they are beautiful too.  What I love about the experience of them is that I'm drawn in close to them so that the image fills my periphery. The size creates half of the experience.

So, I've been looking at how big you can go on inkjet (one of the beauties of it being that you can print on long rolls).  It also happens that I love shooting panoramic.  After thinking about how big my IQ250 could go (even with stitching) I've started shooting film again.  My drum scanner will do 4k dpi and the image fidelity of color neg is damn similar to the MFDBs.

Long story longer:  I just bought a 4x10 field camera and a set of wide glass with 8x10 coverage.  All just so I can print ridiculously large.  Will I ever actually print that big?  Will my images even warrant the investment?  Will they be better that big?  Who the hell knows, but I'm gonna have fun finding out!

Now, I just wish 8x10 Portriga wasn't $14 a sheet!

CB
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 01, 2014, 07:17:11 pm
Chris,

I have 2m (80 inch) large prints made from stitches shot from D3x and Zeiss 100mm f2.0 where you can clearly distingish all the features of people that are 2-3 mm tall.

Those are 300 megapixels stitches.

I would try to stitch and print from your IQ280 with a sharp lens, IMHO a 10 images well perfomed stitch will completely destroy 4x10 scanned optimally.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Chris Barrett on October 01, 2014, 07:41:30 pm
Absolutely, Bernard.  I've done a 14 panel stitch that a client had printed 10' wide and it was beautiful.  Stitching is just not a workflow that I'm personally interested in pursuing for the work I'm going to be doing.

100 ways to photograph a skinned cat.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 01, 2014, 07:42:43 pm
Absolutely, Bernard.  I've done a 14 panel stitch that a client had printed 10' wide and it was beautiful.  Stitching is just not a workflow that I'm personally interested in pursuing for the work I'm going to be doing.

100 ways to photograph a skinned cat.

Chris,

Ok, sure, I can understand that.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 02, 2014, 01:11:28 am
Hi,

Please share your experience!

Just to mention, Tim Parkin had a great article comparing different formats to 8x10" at OnLandscape, I would post a link but it seems the site is not to be reached right now.

Here is the article:

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/12/big-camera-comparison/

and here is the commentary:
https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/12/camera-test-editors-commentary/


Best regards
Erik

I've been thinking a LOT about all of this lately, especially since I've just started making prints of my work again and thinking about exhibition.  Yesterday I was at the Museum of Contemporary Photography here in Chicago and there were a couple of 40x50 prints from Richard Mosse.  The images were shot on 8x10 Infrared Color Neg and they were exquisite.

I've also seen Sugimoto's big prints up close and they are beautiful too.  What I love about the experience of them is that I'm drawn in close to them so that the image fills my periphery. The size creates half of the experience.

So, I've been looking at how big you can go on inkjet (one of the beauties of it being that you can print on long rolls).  It also happens that I love shooting panoramic.  After thinking about how big my IQ250 could go (even with stitching) I've started shooting film again.  My drum scanner will do 4k dpi and the image fidelity of color neg is damn similar to the MFDBs.

Long story longer:  I just bought a 4x10 field camera and a set of wide glass with 8x10 coverage.  All just so I can print ridiculously large.  Will I ever actually print that big?  Will my images even warrant the investment?  Will they be better that big?  Who the hell knows, but I'm gonna have fun finding out!

Now, I just wish 8x10 Portriga wasn't $14 a sheet!

CB
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: torger on October 02, 2014, 01:57:37 am
Who was it that said "if you can't make it good, make it big!" ? It's actually quite smart, viewing a really large print of high technical quality is an experience of itself. Making it both good and big is even more awesome of course :)

Concerning sensors I think the long-term goal should be that the sensor should out-resolve the optical system, regardless how sharp optical system you have. I guess 500 megapixels or so would be suitable in digital MF. With the sensor outresolving any digital aliasing artifacts are history and you can print any size you want without (digital) artifacts, the only thing that happens when you get up close is that the image becomes as smooth and soft as the optical system has rendered it.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution --- than any lens gives?
Post by: nik on October 02, 2014, 02:00:58 am
Patrick, is that you?!

This thread is veering towards the [/tongue-in-cheek] mode: OFF.
But before we officially revert to customary LuLa dialogue ...

I'll settle for the 400 million f/2 pathetically OOF  .. sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts

(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NQRpUtCKOj0/T8c7uxI8l0I/AAAAAAAAFH8/NQeH8Bdmcqw/s1600/Pirelli+Calendar+2008+2.jpg)

Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution --- than any lens gives?
Post by: Manoli on October 02, 2014, 02:22:24 am
Patrick, is that you?!

No, silly boy ... that's Sasha !  Patrick was behind the camera ... [/still in tic mode]
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution --- than any lens gives?
Post by: george2787 on October 02, 2014, 04:23:26 am
This thread is veering towards the [/tongue-in-cheek] mode: OFF.
But before we officially revert to customary LuLa dialogue ...

I'll settle for the 400 million f/2 pathetically OOF  .. sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts

(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NQRpUtCKOj0/T8c7uxI8l0I/AAAAAAAAFH8/NQeH8Bdmcqw/s1600/Pirelli+Calendar+2008+2.jpg)


I'm lucky to have that pirelli just in front of me and I agree  ;D
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 02, 2014, 09:28:36 am
I've been thinking a LOT about all of this lately, especially since I've just started making prints of my work again and thinking about exhibition.  Yesterday I was at the Museum of Contemporary Photography here in Chicago and there were a couple of 40x50 prints from Richard Mosse.  The images were shot on 8x10 Infrared Color Neg and they were exquisite.

I've also seen Sugimoto's big prints up close and they are beautiful too.  What I love about the experience of them is that I'm drawn in close to them so that the image fills my periphery. The size creates half of the experience.

Exactly: part of my motivation with this tongue in cheek post came from a similar experience: when one has seen large prints, the idea that "a fixed resolution is all one need and the public should simply step back" seems absurd.

Quote
Long story longer:  I just bought a 4x10 field camera and a set of wide glass with 8x10 coverage.  All just so I can print ridiculously large.  Will I ever actually print that big?  Will my images even warrant the investment?  Will they be better that big?  Who the hell knows, but I'm gonna have fun finding out!

Now, that is the spirit!  ;D
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: nik on October 02, 2014, 05:48:00 pm
Exactly

... [/still in tic mode]
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: chrismuc on October 02, 2014, 06:02:37 pm
Jerome, Epson at Photokina showed what you are looking for: A print of a very high resolution digital image on the Epson 11880 large format inkjet printer in about 160cm high and 350cm wide.

Photographer: Stefan Arand
Motive: Toledo (Spanish city)
Camera: Hasselblad H4x + IQ260 60 MP back

A large number of 60 MP images are stitched together to a total resolution of about 28.000 pixel wide x 13.000 pixel high = 360 MP.
The printed resolution of the picture is therefore about 8 dots/mm or 200 dpi.
That resolution (and the excellent resolution of the Epson printer 2880x1440 dpi x 8 colors) is definitely high enough to go as near as you want to the picture to examine an incredible amount of detail. The wow effect is really wow (excellent picture + high resolution + large print)!

Stefan Arand offers a high resolution version of that image to zoom in:
http://www.stefanarand.com/highresolution/toledo/toledo_by_Stefan_Arand.html

Here is a link to a pdf that contains additional information on that work (page 22).
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fineartprinter.de%2Fcontent%2Fdownload%2F7283%2F59099%2Ffile%2FActivateYourMegaPixel_Print.pdf&ei=1MMtVNjYC8b4ywOoy4DQBA&usg=AFQjCNHCoMzayzHfyY_At6qQwxJbsOZWzQ&sig2=lQoEzkc-5CNGo_z6SJdBug&bvm=bv.76802529,d.bGQ&cad=rja
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution, another issue
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 03, 2014, 12:35:47 am
Hi,

One thing to keep in mind is that it is not possible to keep everything in focus. There is just a plane of focus, a plane that has some curvature. Going up in resolution reduces the depth of actual focus.

Shooting digital, it is normally accepted that once the Airy circle diameter exceeds twice the pixel pitch resolution is significantly reduced. So going to small pixels we need shoot with large apertures and depth of focus will be short. Just an example:

Let's assume a DSLR with a 50 mm lens and a pixel pitch of 4.8 microns and using the CoC equal twice pixel pith criteria, hyperfocal distance  at f/8 will be: 31 m

Now let us go to 2.5 micron pixels, still using the same camera, with a truly excellent lens like the Otus used at f/4 where it tends to have it's best performance the hyperfocal distance will be 125 m.

Now, let's use an 80 mm lens on an MFD with 5.2 micron pitch at f/8, hyperfocal distance will be 80 m.

Shooting that 80 mm lens on 2.5 micron MFD at f/5.6 would give a hyperfocal distance of 226 m
…

This can be quite relevant. In the discussion following Tim Parkins comparison between large format film and MFD, Hans Strand (a well known Swedish landscape photographer) strongly suggested that he doesn't get better results with large format film than with MFD, due to diffraction. It is discussed in this article:

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/12/camera-test-editors-commentary/

See quotes below:

Quote
This isn’t quite the end of the story though, as seen in Hans Strand’s comments where he says he is getting better results from his medium format back than he was getting from 5×4 and 8×10. Digging a little deeper, Hans was using much larger apertures that used in the tests so I did a few calculations. The following table might look really confusing at first but bear with me. What I’ve done is to provide, for each platform, a list of aperture’s used in the test where each row shows an equivalent aperture for each platform. i.e. the first row in each table is the aperture that gives the same depth of field for that platform. What follows this is the theoretical maximum enlargement based on diffraction (based on the table here) – however I’ve modified these to limit the maximum enlargement based on a couple of different factors. The first limitation is the maximum enlargement of a 35mm digital ~20Mp camera which is 12″ x 18″ (at 300dpi). The next limitation is placed on the Phase IQ180 system because it has a maximum enlargement of 26″ x 32″ (based on 300dpi). The next limitation the maximum resolution for lenses for the Mamiya 7 which is about 100 line pairs per mm. The final limitation is the resolution of LF lenses which is about 70 line pairs per mm. Each of these tables now shows the largest enlargement in mm for each platform and each f-stop for equivalent depth of fields. Fortunately you can ignore all of that maths and skip your way down to the very last table which shows the ratio of the different platforms to each other at equivalent focal lengths.
Quote
In summary, this table shows the maximum critical enlargement for each camera type at each aperture taking into account diffraction and ‘best lenses’. e.g. 35mm and Mamiya 7 are film limited at 13x but the IQ180 sensor will allow a 19x enlargement before diffraction kicks in. The last table shows the relative enlargement ratios of the camera pairs shown. e.g comparing IQ180 and 8×10 shows that at smaller apertures the advantage to 8×10 is 2.3x but this falls behind at f/90 to 0.9x – diffraction has killed 8×10’s advantage

I am pretty sure that this always applies, weather shooting small sensor or large format film. To get DoF we need to stop down and that limits resolution. Two exceptions landscape with no significant foreground and tilted plane of focus.

Focus stacking is a way around the problem, but has issues with anything that moves.

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 03, 2014, 05:28:34 am
Jerome, Epson at Photokina showed what you are looking for: A print of a very high resolution digital image on the Epson 11880 large format inkjet printer in about 160cm high and 350cm wide.

Exactly. This is actually one of the printers I gave as examples earlier on.


Quote
Photographer: Stefan Arand
Motive: Toledo (Spanish city)
Camera: Hasselblad H4x + IQ260 60 MP back

A large number of 60 MP images are stitched together to a total resolution of about 28.000 pixel wide x 13.000 pixel high = 360 MP.
The printed resolution of the picture is therefore about 8 dots/mm or 200 dpi.

It is an impressive work and I guess Stefen Arand must have taken a lot of time to hide all the stitches in the river. I was only able to find one. We definitely need a camera which can do that in one go (I am still in tongue in cheek mode, remember?  ;D ).
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution, another issue
Post by: jerome_m on October 03, 2014, 05:30:07 am
One thing to keep in mind is that it is not possible to keep everything in focus.

That is not a real problem, see the Toledo picture.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on October 03, 2014, 06:44:36 am
Bart. Does that come with a neck strap? I think it could be great for discreet street photography
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: eronald on October 03, 2014, 07:08:25 am
I am reminded somehow of the chess master who was asked how many moves he could think ahead.
He replied: "One. The right one".

Edmund
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 03, 2014, 08:45:25 am
Bart. Does that come with a neck strap? I think it could be great for discreet street photography

Hi Enda,

Not quite, but a horse and cart were common accessories, I believe. This one was built by George R. Lawrence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._Lawrence).

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 03, 2014, 08:55:08 am
It is an impressive work and I guess Stefen Arand must have taken a lot of time to hide all the stitches in the river. I was only able to find one. We definitely need a camera which can do that in one go (I am still in tongue in cheek mode, remember?  ;D ).

My guess is less than 30 minutes if he used a decent stitching software... ;)

But I would need the original files to know for sure.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: peterv on October 03, 2014, 04:42:47 pm
Hi Bernard, I really enjoyed your Stitching - An Advanced Approach article. I understand this is a valid option to obtain very high res files.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 03, 2014, 05:10:41 pm
My guess is less than 30 minutes if he used a decent stitching software... ;)

(still tongue in cheek mode...)


I see... you believe in software.

Let us suppose that my lifetime dream would be to get a picture of the ocean. I want to see big waves and I want to have it printed at the largest size that Epson 11880 can so that I can recognise the surfers riding those waves with a magnifier. How do I do that?  ;D
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 03, 2014, 05:26:32 pm
(still tongue in cheek mode...)


I see... you believe in software.

Let us suppose that my lifetime dream would be to get a picture of the ocean. I want to see big waves and I want to have it printed at the largest size that Epson 11880 can so that I can recognise the surfers riding those waves with a magnifier. How do I do that?  ;D

Why don't you buy a 432 megapixel camera?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 03, 2014, 05:32:47 pm
My guess is to shoot it in a single shot....  a 24mp file will give a 4x6ft print just fine... a larger file, even more! Then there is the Roundshot 220VR solution for an absolute panoramic...
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 03, 2014, 05:46:14 pm
Hi,

8x10" shot at f/11 should fill your needs, Airy disk diameter at f/11 is about 11 microns. You need a lens that covers 8x10" at f/11 and has reasonable MTF at 50 lp/mm. That would give you something like 18000 pixels on the short side.

With todays MFD sensors we would need 2.4 micron resolution. That is absolutely feasible as there are sensors with higher resolution, but that would need a lens capable of good MTF at around 200 lp/mm at around f/2.8.

A realistic alternative would be using say 4-8 synchronised IQ-280s and stitch.

What seems clear to me is that diffraction would be a limiting factor and extremely good lenses would be needed.

Best regards
Erik

 

Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 03, 2014, 06:02:41 pm
Hi,

8x10" shot at f/11 should fill your needs, Airy disk diameter at f/11 is about 11 microns. You need a lens that covers 8x10" at f/11 and has reasonable MTF at 50 lp/mm. That would give you something like 18000 pixels on the short side.

With todays MFD sensors we would need 2.4 micron resolution. That is absolutely feasible as there are sensors with higher resolution, but that would need a lens capable of good MTF at around 200 lp/mm at around f/2.8.

A realistic alternative would be using say 4-8 synchronised IQ-280s and stitch.

Best regards
Erik

 


Still, this is all theory... one forgets the factor of Bayer pattern interpolation that messes (visible) resolution up... After all, it all depends on how high one ranks resolution in his personal ranking of ...image quality. I know most pros don't... (including those that print  really big and sell expensive).
Title: "stack and stitch" FTW
Post by: BJL on October 03, 2014, 09:09:34 pm
That is not a real problem, see the Toledo picture.
Actually, the Toledo picture illustrates nicely what Erik and I are saying:
To get DoF we need to stop down and that limits resolution. Two exceptions landscape with no significant foreground and tilted plane of focus.
The iron trade-of between DOF and diffraction means that these massive pixel counts probably need focus stacking with anything but distant landscapes that have no foreground needing to be in focus.
Because in that Toledo picture, nothing this side of the river is in focus even when you zoom in only part way; in fact even the cars of the other side of the river are OOF at well less than full resolution, and I wonder if anything much closer than the cathedral is in focus when viewed large enough to see the full detail in that file.

And distant cathedrals are fine, slow moving candidates for "stack and stitch".


P. S. Erik has suggested a convenient measure of which sort of scenes benefit from any given high level of image detail: hyperfocal distance for "pixel sharp" images at a given pixel count.
Though as a pre-megal-pixel old-timer, I prefer measuring in "hyperfocal distance as a function of resolution in lines per picture height", which I am fairly sure is (almost) independent of format size.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 04, 2014, 03:06:36 am
Hi,

The question posted is not my idea…, the OP wants one pixel resolution for each resolved pixel in the print.

On the other hand the numbers I posted take Bayer interpolation into account. I would also say they are a bit conservative. In experiments I have done there is a clear degradation of image quality once Airy disc diameter gets larger than pixel size, but the figures I give are for twice the pixel size.

The samples below were shot on a 4.77 micron sensor with an 100/2.8 Minolta Macro at f/5.6 resp f/8. The second row was sharpened in FocusMagic, letting FM choosing the sharpening radius.
5.6 micron Airy diameter8.2 micron Airy diameter
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-5.jpg)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-9.jpg)
5.6 micron Airy diameter + FocusMagic8.2 micron Airy diameter + Focus Magic
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-5_fm.jpg)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-9_fm.jpg)

I would add that I don't think there is anything wrong with the Bayer matrix. It requires an OLP filter to render colour detail correctly, but any point sampled system does require OLP filtering for proper rendition of luminousity.

Best regards
Erik



Still, this is all theory... one forgets the factor of Bayer pattern interpolation that messes (visible) resolution up... After all, it all depends on how high one ranks resolution in his personal ranking of ...image quality. I know most pros don't... (including those that print  really big and sell expensive).
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 04, 2014, 05:48:47 am
Why don't you buy a 432 megapixel camera?

They are not readily available. Which is the whole point of this thread: internet forum analysts argue that resolutions beyond 20 (argued around 2009), 50 (argued around 2011) or 80 mpix (argued today) are not needed, yet printers capable of taking advantages of over 400 mpix are readily available and cost less than the average MF back (the Epson 11880 discussed earlier costs 7000$ at B&H).

The same internet forum analysts argue that the properties of human vision are such that large prints can only be seen from far away, yet museum and gallery visitors routinely walk up to the works and look at them from close. And artists who recognise that fact have great success  placing their huge high resolution pictures on the walls of museums and galleries.

Whose picture was chosen by Epson for the Photokina booth: the 360 MP one or the one the internet forum analysts did not make?  ::)
Title: Re: "stack and stitch" FTW
Post by: jerome_m on October 04, 2014, 06:00:13 am
Actually, the Toledo picture illustrates nicely what Erik and I are saying

What I meant is that indeed parts of the Toledo picture are OOF. This is not a problem and did not preclude that picture to be chosen for photokina.

The question was about a 400 Mpix file where the main subject is sharp. The main subject may not cover the entire printed area. Depth of focus is a tool for expressing our message and it is not a problem if we, as photographer, choose to leave some parts out of focus, thereby expressing what is our chosen subject and what is not.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: eronald on October 04, 2014, 07:40:11 am
If we had the design files for trees, flowers, mountains etc we wouldn't need to photograph, we could just generate.

Edmund


Hi,

The question posted is not my idea…, the OP wants one pixel resolution for each resolved pixel in the print.

On the other hand the numbers I posted take Bayer interpolation into account. I would also say they are a bit conservative. In experiments I have done there is a clear degradation of image quality once Airy disc diameter gets larger than pixel size, but the figures I give are for twice the pixel size.

The samples below were shot on a 4.77 micron sensor with an 100/2.8 Minolta Macro at f/5.6 resp f/8. The second row was sharpened in FocusMagic, letting FM choosing the sharpening radius.
5.6 micron Airy diameter8.2 micron Airy diameter
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-5.jpg)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-9.jpg)
5.6 micron Airy diameter + FocusMagic8.2 micron Airy diameter + Focus Magic
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-5_fm.jpg)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-9_fm.jpg)

I would add that I don't think there is anything wrong with the Bayer matrix. It requires an OLP filter to render colour detail correctly, but any point sampled system does require OLP filtering for proper rendition of luminousity.

Best regards
Erik



Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 04, 2014, 08:09:34 am
Hi Edmund,

My point is to illustrate a law of nature that sets limits to resolution.

Best regards
Erik

If we had the design files for trees, flowers, mountains etc we wouldn't need to photograph, we could just generate.

Edmund


Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 04, 2014, 09:11:06 am
All this know-how on maximising achievable resolution is of course (as with all knowledge) good to know... My concern has much more to do with the O/P... I still don't understand why printing on 300dpi is a necessity, why is it that we need more pixels and how achieving maximum resolution is related with improvements in ones photography...? My impression (and I think most of those that print big and sell their pictures) is that decreasing pixel size may increase resolution to some extend, but OTOH, they affect picture qualities that are much more important than resolution...
What is enough resolution is of course both personal and subjective, but since resolution has been improved a lot in the (say 7 - after 6 micron backs first arrived) later years, even from what 8x10 film can give, but photographs haven't improve at all (Its the opposite that happens actually), I don't see how seeking for more resolution (by inevitably decreasing pixel size which will affect negatively other pixel qualities) will lead into improving photographs....
In fact, the cases I miss more resolution in prints I see published, are extremely rare... it's rather the opposite... there is a good number of todays photographs that one finds that resolution is more than it should be!
In fact, in some cases depending on the subject, resolution is so much that distracts ones attention to the subject itself... which of course isn't a good thing to happen.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 04, 2014, 03:54:38 pm
Hi,

I would say I agree on that few images we see are lacking in resolution. But on the other hand there is a feeling of immersion when you walk close up to a great image and check out all details.

Best regards
Erik


All this know-how on maximising achievable resolution is of course (as with all knowledge) good to know... My concern has much more to do with the O/P... I still don't understand why printing on 300dpi is a necessity, why is it that we need more pixels and how achieving maximum resolution is related with improvements in ones photography...? My impression (and I think most of those that print big and sell their pictures) is that decreasing pixel size may increase resolution to some extend, but OTOH, they affect picture qualities that are much more important than resolution...
What is enough resolution is of course both personal and subjective, but since resolution has been improved a lot in the (say 7 - after 6 micron backs first arrived) later years, even from what 8x10 film can give, but photographs haven't improve at all (Its the opposite that happens actually), I don't see how seeking for more resolution (by inevitably decreasing pixel size which will affect negatively other pixel qualities) will lead into improving photographs....
In fact, the cases I miss more resolution in prints I see published, are extremely rare... it's rather the opposite... there is a good number of todays photographs that one finds that resolution is more than it should be!
In fact, in some cases depending on the subject, resolution is so much that distracts ones attention to the subject itself... which of course isn't a good thing to happen.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: hjulenissen on October 04, 2014, 04:47:18 pm
They are not readily available. Which is the whole point of this thread: internet forum analysts argue that resolutions beyond 20 (argued around 2009), 50 (argued around 2011) or 80 mpix (argued today) are not needed, yet printers capable of taking advantages of over 400 mpix are readily available and cost less than the average MF back (the Epson 11880 discussed earlier costs 7000$ at B&H).
I am not sure how you interpret the availability of "400 mpix" printers to say anything about the utility of 400 mpix cameras? There can be many reasons why "400 MP" printers are available, not all of them pointing to 400MP prints looking very different from 200MP prints for the majority of cases.

Focusing on a given spec (e.g. "I only ever print at 300 dpi, no matter what") seems less productive than a more pragmatic "let's see what works".

Quote
The same internet forum analysts argue that the properties of human vision are such that large prints can only be seen from far away,
Not sure what you are saying here, but I am pretty sure that no one have ever stated that it is impossible to approach a large print?

If there is a technical difference, chances are fair that it is possible to make a scenario where this technical difference can be percepted. Thus, one could say that any technical improvement can concievably lead to a perceived improvement. But does this also make it worth the effort and cost? In my view, it makes sense to do some sanity-test on the scenario. I don't shoot and print images for people bringing a loupe. If they choose to bring one anyways, I could care less about their experience.
Quote
internet forum analysts ...
It seems to me that you pick your words in order to ridicule those that disagree with you. While this may make for an interesting argument, it is less likely that anyone of us will learn anything from the discussion.

-h
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 04, 2014, 04:54:51 pm
Hi,

I would say Mr. Hjulenissen has a couple of valid points.

Best regards
Erik

I am not sure how you interpret the availability of "400 mpix" printers to say anything about the utility of 400 mpix cameras? There can be many reasons why "400 MP" printers are available, not all of them pointing to 400MP prints looking very different from 200MP prints for the majority of cases.

Focusing on a given spec (e.g. "I only ever print at 300 dpi, no matter what") seems less productive than a more pragmatic "let's see what works".
Not sure what you are saying here, but I am pretty sure that no one have ever stated that it is impossible to approach a large print?
It seems to me that you pick your words in order to ridicule those that disagree with you. While this may make for an interesting argument, it is less likely that anyone of us will learn anything from the discussion.

-h
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Mr. Rib on October 04, 2014, 04:59:17 pm
A bit less technical chiming in from me- the aforementioned large prints of Andreas Gursky, in close inspection aren't really sharp / shock you with detail. They are meant to be viewed from a certain distance and one may feel let down if you are looking for super high resolution, at close-up. If you watch some documentaries about his work, you will be told that his shots are amazing in this regard and that you can walk into them and still find fine detail- that's not true. For pixel-peepers / guys with technical approach it will be even more evident.
Maybe his more "artificial" work like the Formula 1 diptych composite has more resolution but that piece was engineered/manufactured rather than shot- haven't seen those in person.
Theodoros is right about that- the ones that sell for fortunes had image resolution quite low on the priority list of the authors :)
Nevertheless I think that for these tack-sharp, enormous prints, taken with a single shot, some kind of revolution / totally different approach is needed. There are too many bottlenecks in current approach. You want to shoot BIG formats and you run into big aperture/shallow DoF vs small aperture / diffraction dilemma. You go smaller with the format- the lenses don't resolve enough to give that hundreds of Mpix, even if the sensor would do that. And there are optics limits- at certain point better stuff is simply impossible due to physical laws. So maybe to get these enormous prints we need a revolution, a breakthrough?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 04, 2014, 09:17:11 pm
I've seen excellent prints at 72ppi and I've seen bad prints at 360ppi... Printing is a process that requires high skills to be done properly. Some think of it as PPIs, some others think of it as a pre-visualised outcome that makes a photograph... To some the file is the photograph... to some others the print is the photograph... Never the less, photography is by definition a print... So the second group is right by definition of photography.
Further more, resolution is a part of the look of a photograph... This is not a matter of  higher resolution making a better photograph, it is only an intentional part of visualisation. In my photographic career never thought of resolution as an important part of picture quality, I only made sure that I have enough of it (under personal judgement)  for the result (the print) to be well communicated... Therefore, I don't see why one should print at a certain number of pip, nor I see why printing at less should be forbidden... Certainly "we need more..." I feel is a wrong expression, one may say "I want more..." or "I suggest more...", but if one says "WE NEED more..." then, I feel he includes ME as well without ever asking me... and he does so at the time where in many of my pictures, I try to find ways to avoid extensive resolution... at the point where more resolution can be destructive for "the look" I want... How one can say what I need?  ...in six months time I will be selling all my Nikon gear to finance and replace it with a Leica S (007)... I will be using my 7 Contax-Zeiss lenses with it and it will be used along side my C645 cameras and the dedicated back I use on them for what I was using a DSLR up to now, as well as for replacing the purchase of a single shot back (the back I use is MS). I can honestly say, that if the camera was of less than 6μm pixel size I wouldn't buy it... I am very suspicious with ultra small pixels and I never had resolution in more than the 5th place on my criteria when buying... In fact, in most cases I do prefer my Nikon's 16mp prints than my other Nikon's 36mp prints, not to mention my 22 MFDB prints that are superior than both...
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Alan Klein on October 04, 2014, 11:43:33 pm
Theodoros:  what makes the 16mp prints better than the 36,p and the 22 MFDB better than the opther two?

Quote
I am very suspicious with ultra small pixels and I never had resolution in more than the 5th place on my criteria when buying... In fact, in most cases I do prefer my Nikon's 16mp prints than my other Nikon's 36mp prints, not to mention my 22 MFDB prints that are superior than both?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 05, 2014, 02:44:23 am
Hi Alan,

It is an interesting question and I try to look at it in this article:

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/82-why-i-cannot-see-a-difference-in-a2-size-prints

My impression is that once image quality reaches a certain level it is good enough and little or no improvement will be observed. But this is based on my own vision and just a few observers.

Michael Reichmann had an interesting discussion with Ctein, and Ctein was perfectly satisfied with shooting 16 MP Olympus 4/3 for A2-size prints. It was "good enough". But he also posted this article: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/02/why-80-megapixels-just-wont-be-enough.html

My take may be that more pixels are good for correct rendition. Ideally, the lens should be the limiting factor and not the sensor.

Best regards
Erik










Theodoros:  what makes the 16mp prints better than the 36,p and the 22 MFDB better than the opther two?

Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 05, 2014, 03:48:24 am
Hi,

Personally, I feel the largest need for resolution is the suppression of artefacts.

This image was shot at 3.8 m distance using a 150/4 Sonnar on a 6.8 micron pitch sensor at f/8:

(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a.png)

The next was shot with a Sony SAL 70-400/4-5.8 at 150mm still at 3.8 m distance on a 3.8 micron pitch sensor, still at f/8.

(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_na.png)

The lenses are pretty close regarding MTF, but the smaller pitch sensor makes a larger image, with more detail.

The next pair of images shows the original 6.8 micron pitch image to the left and the 3.8 micron pixel image downscaled using Lanzcos interpolation on the right:

(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a.png)(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_na_small.png)

Note that the left image has a criss-cross pattern and the strains seem to be stippled, while the right one is more credible. Seen at distance the left image may look sharper.

Both images have now  approximately the same resolution, but the downscaled 3.8 micron image shows a good approximation of real detail while the 6.8 micron image has invented a lot of artificial detail. On full frame 135 this images would correspond to 30 resp. 54 MP. On full frame 645 this would be 50 MP resp. 160 MP.

So it would take something like 50 MP to render an f/8 image correctly on 135 or something like 160 MP on full frame 645.  With better lenses we would need even more pixels.

What I have seen is that I still have significant aliasing on my P45+ back at f/11, but it goes away almost completely at f/16. As Airy disk diameter is proportional to aperture, we would need half the pixel size at f/8 for non aliased rendition. That figure would also correspond to 39x4 something like 156 MP. Now, put a really sharp lens like an Otus on that sensor and shoot at f4, something like 620 MP would be needed for unaliased rendition!

Best regards
Erik
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 05, 2014, 04:33:35 am
(useful reminder: all my posts in this thread are to be taken with a pinch of salt...  ::)  )

Yesterday, I visited the new gallery from Lumas which opened near my house. They are specialised in selling large sheet of acrylic glass with pictures glued on the back side. They had massive prints for display, of the size we discuss in this thread.

I was really disappointed by the resolution used for the prints. First example, that picture of an elephant in a forest:
http://img.lumas.de/showimg_jmc04_1600_1600.jpg (http://img.lumas.de/showimg_jmc04_1600_1600.jpg)
The structure of the trees and the shape of the leaves breaks in digital artefacts at the size presented (120 x 180 cm, €1800).

Second example: that seascape, reminiscent of works by Shugimoto:
http://img.lumas.de/showimg_wuh21_1600_1600.jpg (http://img.lumas.de/showimg_wuh21_1600_1600.jpg)
The waves do not look real. The lens is not sharp on a circular zone extending 2/3 of the center. (123 cm x 178 cm, €1800, one of their best sellers).

Third example: that cityscape from Hong Kong:
http://img.lumas.de/showimg_bbk13_1600_1600.jpg (http://img.lumas.de/showimg_bbk13_1600_1600.jpg)
Wouldn't that be the perfect subject for stitching? It would, but the picture presented here is full of digital artefacts and the devastating effects of high iso noise reduction. (150 cm x 187 cm, €2300, the print had one of the most prominent spots in the gallery).

Isn't it time that we, as recognised Internet experts, teach Lumas how to print right? The prints are too large for the poor technique used. Unfortunately Lumas is not accepting application portfolios from independent photographers, but maybe an online petition could be an option?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 05, 2014, 04:49:30 am
Theodoros:  what makes the 16mp prints better than the 36,p and the 22 MFDB better than the opther two?

Better DR, more contrasty mids, better balance between LLs and HLs, more accurate colour.... I find that with small pixels, if one is after keeping the captured DR, he ends up with a dull look and thus he is forced to process in a way that affects DR negatively.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 05, 2014, 04:54:39 am
Hi,

I would say it may be the other way around. The small pixel cameras have high DR, due to low read noise. Making use of that DR make the image flat, as neither screen or print has similar brightness range.

Best regards
Erik

Better DR, more contrasty mids, better balance between LLs and HLs, more accurate colour.... I find that with small pixels, if one is after keeping the captured DR, he ends up with a dull look and thus he is forced to process in a way that affects DR negatively.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 05, 2014, 05:56:38 am
Hi,

I would say it may be the other way around. The small pixel cameras have high DR, due to low read noise. Making use of that DR make the image flat, as neither screen or print has similar brightness range.

Best regards
Erik

Its noise per sensor area that is lower with larger sensors Erik... at least that's what Physics suggest. Back to the artefacts matter though... I see that you only mean moire when you refer to artefacts, isn't it?  We all have to understand that if Bayer pattern was absent, there would have been no moire problem... Detail would also improve considerably since what the human eye understands as resolution is the colour difference between pixels and thus interpolated colour mistakes affects resolution too and DR would improve considerably...

IMO, the problem is more with the technology used than with pixel density. I believe that soon there will be a technological revolution and what we now use, in a few years will be considered as ancient equipment... From that POV, one has to see on how he may improve with the short period he'll be using the current technology, to do that he has to judge what is more important to him as far as the benefits and the handicaps of using smaller pixels is concerned, which of course is highly subjective and personal...

Only thing I'm saying, is that there is a high number of photographers that consider resolution low in their list of priorities and that what is higher in the list for them is better served with larger pixels. Take a view camera user for instance....
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 05, 2014, 06:21:39 am
Hi,

I would suggest that you need to read up a little bit on basic signal processing as your understanding of the issues involved seems to be incomplete. But I agree on the resolution not being a major issue.

Two direct problems with your interpretations I would like to point out.

One is that moiré has no relation to bayer pattern, even monochrome implementations have moiré, but not colour aliasing. You can just check the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

Noise levels are not really related to pixel size. Basically there is shot noise that depends on statistical properties of light and more dependent on sensor size than pixel size and readout noise which depends on readout circuitry.

At the present stage all full frame small pixel sensors are coming from Sony and use on chip converters. These how low readout noise, thereby delivering cleaner and deeper shadows than older designs with external ADCs. The reasons that the on chip converters work so well is probably in part that are many of them working in parallell, so each converters only processess say 5000 pixels/frame while a traditional external ADC may need to process 4 million pixels/frame (assuming four readout channels).

It seems that the on chip converters have something like 1/3 - 1/4 of the readout noise levels of external converters.

Now, readout noise is not dependent on pixel size, so larger pixels would have somewhat better dynamic range, but as said the small pixel cameras all have superior readout circuitry that more than compensates for the pixel size.

This sample is from a P45+:
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourneyEOY/Noise/20131117-CF044323.jpg)
And this one is from a Sony Alpha 99 SLT
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourneyEOY/Noise/20131117-_DSC3262.jpg)

The second image is brighter than the first one. I guess that it has to do with the zoom lens on the Sony having more lens flare. Exposure had been very similar.


Best regards
Erik





Its noise per sensor area that is lower with larger sensors Erik... at least that's what Physics suggest. Back to the artefacts matter though... I see that you only mean moire when you refer to artefacts, isn't it?  We all have to understand that if Bayer pattern was absent, there would have been no moire problem... Detail would also improve considerably since what the human eye understands as resolution is the colour difference between pixels and thus interpolated colour mistakes affects resolution too and DR would improve considerably...

IMO, the problem is more with the technology used than with pixel density. I believe that soon there will be a technological revolution and what we now use, in a few years will be considered as ancient equipment... From that POV, one has to see on how he may improve with the short period he'll be using the current technology, to do that he has to judge what is more important to him as far as the benefits and the handicaps of using smaller pixels is concerned, which of course is highly subjective and personal...

Only thing I'm saying, is that there is a high number of photographers that consider resolution low in their list of priorities and that what is higher in the list for them is better served with larger pixels. Take a view camera user for instance....
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 05, 2014, 10:19:04 am
Hi,

I would suggest that you need to read up a little bit on basic signal processing as your understanding of the issues involved seems to be incomplete. But I agree on the resolution not being a major issue.

Two direct problems with your interpretations I would like to point out.

One is that moiré has no relation to bayer pattern, even monochrome implementations have moiré, but not colour aliasing. You can just check the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

Noise levels are not really related to pixel size. Basically there is shot noise that depends on statistical properties of light and more dependent on sensor size than pixel size and readout noise which depends on readout circuitry.

At the present stage all full frame small pixel sensors are coming from Sony and use on chip converters. These how low readout noise, thereby delivering cleaner and deeper shadows than older designs with external ADCs. The reasons that the on chip converters work so well is probably in part that are many of them working in parallell, so each converters only processess say 5000 pixels/frame while a traditional external ADC may need to process 4 million pixels/frame (assuming four readout channels).

It seems that the on chip converters have something like 1/3 - 1/4 of the readout noise levels of external converters.

Now, readout noise is not dependent on pixel size, so larger pixels would have somewhat better dynamic range, but as said the small pixel cameras all have superior readout circuitry that more than compensates for the pixel size.

This sample is from a P45+:
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourneyEOY/Noise/20131117-CF044323.jpg)
And this one is from a Sony Alpha 99 SLT
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourneyEOY/Noise/20131117-_DSC3262.jpg)

The second image is brighter than the first one. I guess that it has to do with the zoom lens on the Sony having more lens flare. Exposure had been very similar.


Best regards
Erik



I hate to argue on theory... Larger pixels DO HAVE less read noise per area they cover and this is theory... (that's why the "LL champion cameras" have larger pixels). On the images that you posted, the second one isn't "brighter", its considerably duller (luck of contrast) and the HLs have been "blown" (which can't be an effect of flare - flare does decrease contrast but it doesn't blow HLs) while in the first one whites do hold some surface information... I also suspect, that the first image is not processed using C1 (which would have increased DR considerably), but rather an inadequate processing method that has been designed for general processing that has the masses of "photographers" in mind... Finally... moire on a B&W sensor is as rare as rain in the moon and in a true colour multishot is simply non existent... Also... the cases that moire is not the result of colour alising (which you correctly say is absent if BP is absent) are rare to the extent that they may be considered negligible.
 One more thing that is questionable is the phrase "the small pixel cameras all have superior readout circuitry that more than compensates for the pixel size." that you used... is that theory? ...Is comparing (years back of) different processing technology a criterion that one may use to prove his case? ...its not to me (and the most sensible thinking).
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 05, 2014, 11:18:31 am
Hi,

Just for your information, both images were pushed 4 stops in development.

Here is the actual page from the article: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/80-my-mfd-journey-summing-up?start=1

Best regards
Erik

I hate to argue on theory... Larger pixels DO HAVE less read noise per area they cover and this is theory... (that's why the "LL champion cameras" have larger pixels). On the images that you posted, the second one isn't "brighter", its considerably duller (luck of contrast) and the HLs have been "blown" (which can't be an effect of flare - flare does decrease contrast but it doesn't blow HLs) while in the first one whites do hold some surface information... I also suspect, that the first image is not processed using C1 (which would have increased DR considerably), but rather an inadequate processing method that has been designed for general processing that has the masses of "photographers" in mind... Finally... moire on a B&W sensor is as rare as rain in the moon and in a true colour multishot is simply non existent... Also... the cases that moire is not the result of colour alising (which you correctly say is absent if BP is absent) are rare to the extent that they may be considered negligible.
 One more thing that is questionable is the phrase "the small pixel cameras all have superior readout circuitry that more than compensates for the pixel size." that you used... is that theory? ...Is comparing (years back of) different processing technology a criterion that one may use to prove his case? ...its not to me (and the most sensible thinking).
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 05, 2014, 02:18:51 pm
I still don't see why we need higher resolution sensors.... Is the proposal that the makers should increase per area read noise so that one may be able to print at 300ppi but with considerably more noise on the print?  Wouldn't a (same technology) sensor with considerably smaller pixels have much worst charasterics as far as read noise is concerned? Isn't "per pixel noise" more difficult to control the more the size of the pixel is compressed? Shouldn't we prefer that the makers solve the issues of artefacts that are present on todays pixel size before they proceed into making smaller pixels? 
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 05, 2014, 03:34:38 pm
Hi,

Noise (shot noise) is not really affected by pixel size in print. Is the image is upsized the upsizing algorithm will distribute each image pixel over more printed pixels, if the image is downsized the downsizing algorithm will merge more pixels into a printed pixel. Upsizing  and downsizing algorithm have of course their own issues.

Aliasing artifacts like moiré and staircase effects are caused by large pixels. You get them any time the lens out-resolves the sensor. There are essentially three ways around this:

- Making the pixels smaller
- Stopping down so lens resolution is reduced
- Adding an OLP filter that reduces lens resolution

In practice, OLP filters are not strong enough to eliminate aliasing, it seems that their purpose is to reduce colour artefacts.

The screenshot below illustrates this pretty well:

- The A7 at 24 MP has most artefacts, although it has an OLP-filter
- The A7r has less artefacts than the A7 although it lacks OLP filter, but higher resolution reduces artefacts. Note that you can see fewer lines at the right side than in the image above
- The IQ 180 has even less artefacts, it probably outresolves the target.

This is also a well known aspect of signal processing, it is explained decently well in this video from Panavsion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht4Mv2wIRyQ

Best regards
Erik

I still don't see why we need higher resolution sensors.... Is the proposal that the makers should increase per area read noise so that one may be able to print at 300ppi but with considerably more noise on the print?  Wouldn't a (same technology) sensor with considerably smaller pixels have much worst charasterics as far as read noise is concerned? Isn't "per pixel noise" more difficult to control the more the size of the pixel is compressed? Shouldn't we prefer that the makers solve the issues of artefacts that are present on todays pixel size before they proceed into making smaller pixels?  
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 05, 2014, 05:41:13 pm
Hi,

Noise (shot noise) is not really affected by pixel size in print. Is the image is upsized the upsizing algorithm will distribute each image pixel over more printed pixels, if the image is downsized the downsizing algorithm will merge more pixels into a printed pixel. Upsizing  and downsizing algorithm have of course their own issues.

This is irrelevant to my post... No one says that noise is affected by pixel size in print... Printing (as well as sampling up or down in order to print at a certain size) is a method that also requires extensive skills which have to be adopted differently to the equipment used (an Epson requires different sampling than a Canon for instance). My post has to do with smaller pixels and the increased per image area noise that they inevitably have if compared with (same technology) larger sensors.


Aliasing artifacts like moiré and staircase effects are caused by large pixels. You get them any time the lens out-resolves the sensor. There are essentially three ways around this:

- Making the pixels smaller
- Stopping down so lens resolution is reduced
- Adding an OLP filter that reduces lens resolution

In practice, OLP filters are not strong enough to eliminate aliasing, it seems that their purpose is to reduce colour artefacts.

You don't get aliasing "every time the lens out resolves the sensor" as you say..., you need a repeated pattern at the right frequency for moire to exist, or cross talking between neighbouring pixels with different BP colour filtering for colour aliasing..
If the Bayer pattern was absent, you wouldn't get colour aliasing or moire at all... True colour sensors (either MS or Scanning backs) never present any colour aliasing or moire although the pixels are huge and the lens out resolves the sensor. In B&W sensors, there can be some moire (it is extremely rare though to the extend that it cannot be considered as an issue) with extremely high contrast patterns of specific frequency.

 The aliasing we get is not a consequence of Nyquist's theory of sampling rate, but because there is cross talk (due to the existence of Bayer pattern and the consecutive interpolation circuit) between pixels. Moire is dependent on a pattern's frequency but its the existence of Bayer pattern (again) that keeps the sensor's frequency low (more than the number of pixels).

EDIT: Moire is reduced with smaller pixels, but the size of pixels by itself cannot make moire disappear... All sensors that have Bayer pattern and colour is a result of interpolation will present moire at some times... Colour aliasing won't benefit though with smaller pixels... it's to the opposite actually.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 05, 2014, 07:48:56 pm
True colour sensors (either MS or Scanning backs) never present any aliasing although the pixels are huge and the lens out resolves the sensor.

Take a look at the Betterlight Super 6K rendition of the ISO 12233 target rosette here: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4802

Look at the horizontal lines around the 7. (Nyquist is about 5.5) They diverge as you go from left to right when the target is converging. That's aliasing. It occurs because the lens is resolving at high MTF beyond the Nyquist frequency of the sensor. So it does happen. On the other hand, ISO 12233 is designed to find things like that, and you'd be hard pressed to ever discover the effect in a natural image scene. I have seen moire in BL images with window screens in them.

Note the admirable lack of false color; that's the beauty of the BL back, and MS backs as well, as you point out.

So this is merely a quibble with your point.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 05, 2014, 08:06:11 pm
Take a look at the Betterlight Super 6K rendition of the ISO 12233 target rosette here: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4802

Look at the horizontal lines around the 7. (Nyquist is about 5.5) They diverge as you go from left to right when the target is converging. That's aliasing. It occurs because the lens is resolving at high MTF beyond the Nyquist frequency of the sensor. So it does happen. On the other hand, ISO 12233 is designed to find things like that, and you'd be hard pressed to ever discover the effect in a natural image scene. I have seen moire in BL images with window screens in them.

Note the admirable lack of false color; that's the beauty of the BL back, and MS backs as well, as you point out.

So this is merely a quibble with your point.
 

Jim
I use an Imacon 528c at 16x and its totally moire free, I thought it would be the same with scanning backs but obviously forgot that sampling there is tri-linear...  :)
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 05, 2014, 08:09:36 pm
I use an Imacon 528c at 16x and its totally moire free, I thought it would be the same with scanning backs but obviously forgot that sampling there is tri-linear...  :)

It actually does the equivalent of three shots.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 06, 2014, 01:47:15 am
Hi Jim,

Thanks for contributing to the thread.

I would say that colour aliasing is a major problem that is caused by the Bayer pattern while monochrome moiré and aliasing are lesser obvious artefacts. On the other hand I feel the monochrome aliasing also creates false detail, that may be seen as texture. That is part of the reason I use the feather shots as a sample, it illustrates the issue well.

I guess that we will live with the Bayer pattern for a long time. The other approaches are not that practical. Right now those are multishot, scanning backs and Foveon type sensors. Foveons have problems with noise and colour interpretation, as far as I understand. Multishot and scanning backs can have problems with things that move.

My understanding is that the best way of getting rid of aliasing (colour or not) is to reduce the pixel size. Increasing the fill factor would also help, I am pretty sure. Making the pixels smaller reduces DR at the pixel level, but I would say that the loss is probably acceptable with say 3 micron pixels and present levels of readout noise.

Best regards
Erik

Take a look at the Betterlight Super 6K rendition of the ISO 12233 target rosette here: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4802

Look at the horizontal lines around the 7. (Nyquist is about 5.5) They diverge as you go from left to right when the target is converging. That's aliasing. It occurs because the lens is resolving at high MTF beyond the Nyquist frequency of the sensor. So it does happen. On the other hand, ISO 12233 is designed to find things like that, and you'd be hard pressed to ever discover the effect in a natural image scene. I have seen moire in BL images with window screens in them.

Note the admirable lack of false color; that's the beauty of the BL back, and MS backs as well, as you point out.

So this is merely a quibble with your point.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 06, 2014, 06:15:08 am
Hi Jim,

Thanks for contributing to the thread.

I would say that colour aliasing is a major problem that is caused by the Bayer pattern while monochrome moiré and aliasing are lesser obvious artefacts. On the other hand I feel the monochrome aliasing also creates false detail, that may be seen as texture. That is part of the reason I use the feather shots as a sample, it illustrates the issue well.

I guess that we will live with the Bayer pattern for a long time. The other approaches are not that practical. Right now those are multishot, scanning backs and Foveon type sensors. Foveons have problems with noise and colour interpretation, as far as I understand. Multishot and scanning backs can have problems with things that move.

My understanding is that the best way of getting rid of aliasing (colour or not) is to reduce the pixel size. Increasing the fill factor would also help, I am pretty sure. Making the pixels smaller reduces DR at the pixel level, but I would say that the loss is probably acceptable with say 3 micron pixels and present levels of readout noise.

Best regards
Erik

Wouldn't smaller pixels increase cross-talking between them and thus increase colour aliasing Erik? (additionally to noise per area increase and the DR reduction)... Moire doesn't seem to be a problem that occurs often with pixels of 6microns, (I don't see the owners of those sensors complaining at all for moire),  it seems to me that 6microns is good enough for a modern sensor with no AA filter, I am curious to see how things will develop with CMOS sensors for MF from here on... I expect that there will be no more CCD sensors here after and I am really curious to see a comparison between Leica's new 37.5mp CMOS sensor (6 microns) with respect to Sony's 50mp one.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 06, 2014, 10:28:06 am
I would say that colour aliasing is a major problem that is caused by the Bayer pattern while monochrome moiré and aliasing are lesser obvious artifacts. On the other hand I feel the monochrome aliasing also creates false detail, that may be seen as texture.

I agree on both points. The luminance aliasing produced by mono. scanning, and MS cameras is far less objectionable than in-your-face false color, and completely invisible most of the time.


My understanding is that the best way of getting rid of aliasing (colour or not) is to reduce the pixel size. Increasing the fill factor would also help, I am pretty sure. Making the pixels smaller reduces DR at the pixel level, but I would say that the loss is probably acceptable with say 3 micron pixels and present levels of readout noise.

Making the pixels smaller doesn't affect the DR per unit area materially if the dimmest signals of interest must have SNRs of at least 3 stops, as I personally find the lower limit for what I consider to be a quality image. At that level, photon noise dominates, and RN is hardly a contributor at all, unless there is a pattern to the RN. Remember that noise adds in quadrature.  I think, from my simulations, that 2 um spacing would be fine for a FF sensor, and maybe a lot less. We won't see that for quite a while, though.

With respect to MS cameras, why not bring back color wheels? You'd have a mono camera that would be versatile, and a color one that would be limited. You'd be able to use any filter set you wanted, for any color rendering desired. There could be a cottage industry developing filter sets. Photographers could dye their own glass, just like they used to mix up their own developer.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ynp on October 06, 2014, 11:12:05 am

With respect to MS cameras, why not bring back color wheels? You'd have a mono camera that would be versatile, and a color one that would be limited. You'd be able to use any filter set you wanted, for any color rendering desired. There could be a cottage industry developing filter sets. Photographers could dye their own glass, just like they used to mix up their own developer.

Jim

Jim,

Very interesting idea. Getting back to XIXth century.

If I , say, have a P1 Monochrom back or Leica Monochrom and want to shoot a painting through the filters, is there a Software to automatically mix the files? And have a reliable color management?

Yevgeny
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 06, 2014, 11:25:54 am
If I , say, have a P1 Monochrom back or Leica Monochrom and want to shoot a painting through the filters, is there a Software to automatically mix the files? And have a reliable color management?

I imagine that any camera profiling software should work, providing the filter spectra aren't too weird.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ynp on October 06, 2014, 11:43:52 am
I imagine that any camera profiling software should work, providing the filter spectra aren't too weird.

Jim
Thank you for the explanation.
Maybe the past is my future. ...
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 06, 2014, 12:22:06 pm
Jim,

Very interesting idea. Getting back to XIXth century.

If I , say, have a P1 Monochrom back or Leica Monochrom and want to shoot a painting through the filters, is there a Software to automatically mix the files? And have a reliable color management?

Yevgeny
Hi Yevgeny,
I believe people that are keen to Astrophotography are advanced on the matter... Never the less, It all comes down on how to get rid of BP at the end... it's causing all short of problems.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ynp on October 06, 2014, 12:22:55 pm
One of the forum members contacted me offline and directed me to the Sinar' s technology: CTM, and I found an interesting quote:

CTM exclusively works with the Sinarback eVolution75H, 86H and eXact. The standard infrared filter needs to be replaced by a clear glass filter or these digitalbacks can be ordered with clear glass filters (552.45.02X). CTM is a multi-shot application because capturing one-shot images is showing a permanent large color deviation and an obvious lower color resolution. There are two high quality color filters (blue and yellow) integrated in the Sinar CTM Slider mounted in front of the lens like a Sinar LC Shutter 100. CaptureFlow RePro SW automatically provides two multi-shots (4-shot blue and 4-shot yellow).

Edit: the extract was taken from a Capture Integration file.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ynp on October 06, 2014, 01:17:50 pm
Hi Theodoros,

Thanks. I am not tech savvy at all and struggle with the tech language.  I do not understand a lot of things on digital even in my own language. I will have to google for Astro photography.

Last year I had a problem with a shooting of a collage on fine silk with a lot of small 3-dimentional elements and newspaper clippings. It was mounted on a wall of a barn in Provence and I had no MS back with me.
I tried my Leica s2 on it, with a shift lens first, than made a number of captures with the idea to stitch them. I looked at the files  at the hotel and saw a lot of artifacts. I went to a local photographer and hired him to shoot the collage on his old 5 by 7 film camera, scanned the film on our Leaf flatbed and there were only minor color and falloff corrections needed.
Just a story to share.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 06, 2014, 01:57:56 pm
Hi Theodoros,

Thanks. I am not tech savvy at all and struggle with the tech language.  I do not understand a lot of things on digital even in my own language. I will have to google for Astro photography.

Last year I had a problem with a shooting of a collage on fine silk with a lot of small 3-dimentional elements and newspaper clippings. It was mounted on a wall of a barn in Provence and I had no MS back with me.
I tried my Leica s2 on it, with a shift lens first, than made a number of captures with the idea to stitch them. I looked at the files  at the hotel and saw a lot of artifacts. I went to a local photographer and hired him to shoot the collage on his old 5 by 7 film camera, scanned the film on our Leaf flatbed and there were only minor color and falloff corrections needed.
Just a story to share.
There are certainly a lot of advantages (some disadvantages too) in using film depending on the case... Certainly the major disadvantage of digital is the fact that captures are not in colour but an interpolated result and the associated equipment (Bayer pattern etc) that is involved... One that shoots MS like you, (especially one that uses such a capable back as the one you have) surely has understand the issues... Unfortunately we'll have to wait until single shot captures are also in true colour before we can get rid of artefacts... One more thing to mention is Sinar's work on profiles (which you stated above), it seems that they are ahead in working on the matter, they seem to care about accurate colour reproduction as their major market and they target people or organisations that concentrate in painting reproduction... Their profiling methods look far more advanced than "competition"...
Title: Re: "stack and stitch" FTW
Post by: BJL on October 06, 2014, 10:15:48 pm
What I meant is that indeed parts of the Toledo picture are OOF. This is not a problem and did not preclude that picture to be chosen for photokina.
We are not really disagreeing there, since I (like Erik) just stated the limitation to scenes where OOF foreground is not a problem.  Though frankly ,"Toledo" is a poor example: the OOF "foreground" is about 80% of the image, and as soon as I enlarge anywhere close to "400MP", it is very disappointing to hunt almost in vain for something truly sharp. I suspect that its selection was I more about demonstrating a technological possibility.

Also, about Epson's making these printers proving that 400MP is needed; I can see another reason:
- cameras exist giving files of about 10,328 pixels on the long edge, and somewhat more is probably coming soon.
- owners of such printers might well want sometimes to print such files with 10,328 pixels across the width of the roll, so needing about that many pixels across the roll.
- owners might also want at other times to make far larger panoramic  prints, with the short edge of the image oriented across the roll.
And voila: 10,328 on the short edge is needed for the printer, even if not for any print.
Title: Re: "stack and stitch" FTW
Post by: jerome_m on October 07, 2014, 11:48:52 am
Also, about Epson's making these printers proving that 400MP is needed; I can see another reason:
- cameras exist giving files of about 10,328 pixels on the long edge, and somewhat more is probably coming soon.
- owners of such printers might well want sometimes to print such files with 10,328 pixels across the width of the roll, so needing about that many pixels across the roll.
- owners might also want at other times to make far larger panoramic  prints, with the short edge of the image oriented across the roll.
And voila: 10,328 on the short edge is needed for the printer, even if not for any print.

You cannot possibly be serious: nobody in their right mind would buy a 60" (150cm) wide printer to print images which would fit in a 40" (120cm) printer sideways, since the second printer is half the price and a lot less floor space.

It is quite simple really: to take full advantage of a 60" (150cm) printer, one will need images measuring 18000 pixels on their short side when printing at 300 dpi. And: yes, people do print images which measure 60" (150cm) on their short side. Large prints do exist, they are made and sold daily.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Isaac on October 07, 2014, 11:58:02 am
Who was it that said "if you can't make it good, make it big!" ?

anon. “Of course, you know the adage (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/03/arts/design/03GEFT.html?pagewanted=print&_r=0), if you can’t make it good, make it big. If you can’t make it big, make it red. So we do like big red photographs.”
Title: One huge printer vs two huge printers
Post by: BJL on October 07, 2014, 03:03:46 pm
You cannot possibly be serious: nobody in their right mind would buy a 60" (150cm) wide printer to print images which would fit in a 40" (120cm) printer sideways, since the second printer is half the price and a lot less floor space.
If some one (or some printing shop) wants to do both huge prints (60" on the short edge) and less huge ones (a mere 60" on the long side), it makes sense to get one printer that can handle both tasks, rather than having to pay for and make space for two huge printers.
Title: Re: One huge printer vs two huge printers
Post by: jerome_m on October 07, 2014, 03:13:17 pm
If some one (or some printing shop) wants to do both huge prints (60" on the short edge) and less huge ones (a mere 60" on the long side), it makes sense to get one printer that can handle both tasks, rather than having to pay for and make space for two huge printers.

You are aware than one can use the smaller paper rolls in the larger printers, right?
Title: Re: One huge printer vs two huge printers
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 07, 2014, 03:14:32 pm
If some one (or some printing shop) wants to do both huge prints (60" on the short edge) and less huge ones (a mere 60" on the long side), it makes sense to get one printer that can handle both tasks, rather than having to pay for and make space for two huge printers.

Right you are. Not to mention that you'll spend more on ink for a printer than you'll ever spend on the printer itself. In a commercial environment, you'll spend much, much more. So the added cost of a 60" printer over a 44" one is a drop in the bucket, and a wise investment if you've got the room, even if you'll put 44" rolls in it most of the time.

Jim
Title: Re: One huge printer vs two huge printers
Post by: jerome_m on October 07, 2014, 03:21:55 pm
Right you are. Not to mention that you'll spend more on ink for a printer than you'll ever spend on the printer itself. In a commercial environment, you'll spend much, much more. So the added cost of a 60" printer over a 44" one is a drop in the bucket, and a wise investment if you've got the room, even if you'll put 44" rolls in it most of the time.

You are aware than one can use the smaller paper rolls in the larger printers, right?

Additionally: you are aware that for this kind of printers, ink costs are watched by the customers so that ink is considerably cheaper per liter than for your typical desktop printer?
Title: Re: One huge printer vs two huge printers
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 07, 2014, 03:37:59 pm
You are aware than one can use the smaller paper rolls in the larger printers, right?

Yes. That's what the remark about putting 44" rolls in the 60" printer most of the time was all about.

Additionally: you are aware that for this kind of printers, ink costs are watched by the customers so that ink is considerably cheaper per liter than for your typical desktop printer?

Of course. But we were comparing 44" with 60" printers, weren't we? At least, that's what I was doing. Since, within a printer family, the 44" printers and the 60" printers usually take the same carts, ink cost is the same between the two.

This seems so elementary that I am concerned that I'm missing something. If so, please help me out.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 07, 2014, 03:55:56 pm
Apparently, one of us is missing something because I still fail to understand the advantage of buying a 60" printer for double the price if one is always going to print on 44" rolls, so please you help me out.
Title: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: BJL on October 07, 2014, 04:15:00 pm
Apparently, one of us is missing something because I still fail to understand the advantage of buying a 60" printer for double the price if one is always going to print on 44" rolls, so please you help me out.
No one said always printing on 44" rolls:
- I referred to users with a mix of some jobs needing the 60" roll printer and other jobs than can be done on either fit or a smaller printer, and using the single bigger printer  to avoid needing a second slightly less big printer
- Jim said 'even if you'll put 44" rolls in it most of the time.'


Yet another debate where by overlooking the qualifications in a statement, or changing the wording, an opponent's argument is morphed into a more easily refuted straw man.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 07, 2014, 04:26:42 pm
Apparently, one of us is missing something because I still fail to understand the advantage of buying a 60" printer for double the price if one is always going to print on 44" rolls, so please you help me out.

I didn't say "always print on 44" rolls". I said "So the added cost of a 60" printer over a 44" one is a drop in the bucket, and a wise investment if you've got the room, even if you'll put 44" rolls in it most of the time."  Bold added.

Let's say only 10% of your jobs need the 60" paper, but that's business you'd have to turn away if you bought only a 44" printer. You don't want your customers getting used to going to a competitor, but even setting that aside, if you buy $100,000 worth of ink over the life of the printer, the total cost to you is $104,200 for the 44" printer and $108,000 for the 60" printer. If you sell your prints for 5 times the ink and amortized printer cost, by spending an extra $3800 for an 11880 over a 9880, you'll make about $50,000 more in sales over the life of the printer, and say once labor and paper are taken into account, say, $25,000 more gross profit.  This all assumes that buying a larger printer and two widths of paper doesn't affect your overhaed much.

All the numbers above, except for the printer prices, are just SWAGs, but you get the idea, I hope.

Jim
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: jerome_m on October 07, 2014, 04:36:46 pm
No one said always printing on 44" rolls:
- I referred to users with a mix of some jobs needing the 60" roll printer and other jobs than can be done on either fit or a smaller printer, and using the single bigger printer  to avoid needing a second slightly less big printer- Jim said 'even if you'll put 44" rolls in it most of the time.'

I see. BJL and Jim's argument is that the 60" printer is mainly for someone who needs 44" prints in "300 dpi" resolution and 60" prints some of the time, presumably in less than "300 dpi" resolution. Because, "straw man" argument aside, if someone needs 60" prints in "300 dpi" resolution, one needs the data and that is the object of this thread.

Quote
Yet another debate where by overlooking the qualifications in a statement, or changing the wording, an opponent's argument is morphed into a more easily refuted straw man.

Am I the one who changes the arguments here? I doubt it. I am the one who posted about visits to galleries and museums presenting photographic prints which are 60" (150cm) on their short side. You are the ones presenting plenty of reasons why the owners of 60" printers would do something else than printing extra-large photographs.
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 07, 2014, 04:50:52 pm
BJL and Jim's argument is that the 60" printer is mainly for someone who needs 44" prints in "300 dpi" resolution and 60" prints some of the time, presumably in less than "300 dpi" resolution.

My contention is not that the 60" printer is always purchased with the idea that it will infrequently be used with 60" paper. My contention is that some people will buy the 60" printer with the idea that it will infrequently be used with 60" paper.

I don't think you mean "dpi" in this context. Usually, dpi stands for dots per inch, and is a measure of the closest spacing of the halftoned image sent to the print heads. Perhaps you mean "ppi", which stands for pixels per inch, and is a measure of the spacing of the 8 or more bits per color plane image that is sent to the printer driver for halftone processing. 300 ppi is a Canon standard, and 360 ppi is an Epson one.

Jim

 
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: BJL on October 07, 2014, 05:19:18 pm
Am I the one who changes the arguments here? I doubt it.
You inserted the word "always" in your words "when one is always going to print on 44" rolls" in "Reply #101" in this thread, which clearly contradicts what either of us had said.

I am not totally rejecting your conjecture that some people both
(a) need 60" high, 300PPI prints
and also
(b) need to get the files for these prints in a single shot rather than by stitching badly enough that they will bear the extra costs of a 400MP sensor,
but your evidence so far does not prove that claim.
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 07, 2014, 05:23:11 pm
Hi,

As we have seen in the discussion, it is very hard to utilize 60" wide paper at 360 PPI fully, with high transferred modulation at the 1/360" pixel level. So quite obviously, the prints normally don't fully utilize the resolution of the printer.

The most reasonable way of achieving extreme resolutions are probably either 8x10" film using very good lenses at medium apertures and scanned at high resolution or stitching multiple images.

In both cases DoF will be a problem.

The reason that wide printers have high resolution is probably that the technology is there and also that most prints will be smaller, and need higher resolution.

As a small remark, when I print larger than A2, my printing service recommends 200 ppi on Durst Lambda, while they recommend 400 PPI for A3 size or smaller.

Best regards
Erik


My contention is not that the 60" printer is always purchased with the idea that it will infrequently be used with 60" paper. My contention is that some people will buy the 60" printer with the idea that it will infrequently be used with 60" paper.

I don't think you mean "dpi" in this context. Usually, dpi stands for dots per inch, and is a measure of the closest spacing of the halftoned image sent to the print heads. Perhaps you mean "ppi", which stands for pixels per inch, and is a measure of the spacing of the 8 or more bits per color plane image that is sent to the printer driver for halftone processing. 300 ppi is a Canon standard, and 360 ppi is an Epson one.

Jim

 
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Theodoros on October 07, 2014, 05:24:06 pm
My contention is not that the 60" printer is always purchased with the idea that it will infrequently be used with 60" paper. My contention is that some people will buy the 60" printer with the idea that it will infrequently be used with 60" paper.

I don't think you mean "dpi" in this context. Usually, dpi stands for dots per inch, and is a measure of the closest spacing of the halftoned image sent to the print heads. Perhaps you mean "ppi", which stands for pixels per inch, and is a measure of the spacing of the 8 or more bits per color plane image that is sent to the printer driver for halftone processing. 300 ppi is a Canon standard, and 360 ppi is an Epson one.

Jim

 
The 300 vs. 360ppi argument is very interesting discussion... I use Epson 9900 although I sometimes need larger than 44" just because Epson never made an 11900... but I did choose Epson than Canon, simply because of the 360 standard and the much better compatibility with 72 multiples and all of the modern monitors.
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Theodoros on October 07, 2014, 05:46:16 pm
Hi,

As we have seen in the discussion, it is very hard to utilize 60" wide paper at 360 PPI fully, with high transferred modulation at the 1/360" pixel level. So quite obviously, the prints normally don't fully utilize the resolution of the printer.

The most reasonable way of achieving extreme resolutions are probably either 8x10" film using very good lenses at medium apertures and scanned at high resolution or stitching multiple images.

In both cases DoF will be a problem.

The reason that wide printers have high resolution is probably that the technology is there and also that most prints will be smaller, and need higher resolution.

As a small remark, when I print larger than A2, my printing service recommends 200 ppi on Durst Lambda, while they recommend 400 PPI for A3 size or smaller.

Best regards
Erik


The printers print at much higher dpi than the ppi input they receive..., on an Epson, the input is sampled up to 360ppi and then it is printed at either 720 or 1440 or 2880dpi without more sampling, it simply uses 2 or 4 or 8 dpi for each one of the 360ppi that are input... On a Canon, the input is sampled up to 300ppi and then there are 300dpi multiples that are used (by choice of the user) from the printer to print...

Actually the above is one of the reasons I never understood why we need more camera pixels than much better image quality (and absence of artefacts during capturing)... A perfect capture, will print superbly at 72ppi (on an Epson - 75 on a Canon), while a bad capture will print poorly on anything... Thus, 24mp is enough to print perfectly well on a 60" Epson using the full 60" for the smaller image side... Now, sampling or not (up to 300ppi for a Canon or 360ppi for an Epson) to print is another extremely interesting conversation...

EDIT: One thing is for sure... with todays offered sensor resolution, having better pixels should be much more preferable than having more of them...
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 07, 2014, 06:29:09 pm
Hi,

I would rather put the limit at 180PPI for an excellent print, that can be viewed reasonably close. The OP suggests that 360 PPI is needed to fully utilise the printing process, and he previously made the point that he has extremely good vision. Better vision than 20/20 is not uncommon.

On the other hand I would possible argue 20/20 vision, which is about 1' of arc, applies to high contrast edges but vision is dominated by lower frequency detail, so having good edge contrast at say 90 PPI may be more important than resolving detail at 360 PPI.

Best regards
Erik




The printers print at much higher dpi than the ppi input they receive..., on an Epson, the input is sampled up to 360ppi and then it is printed at either 720 or 1440 or 2880dpi without more sampling, it simply uses 2 or 4 or 8 dpi for each one of the 360ppi that are input... On a Canon, the input is sampled up to 300ppi and then there are 300dpi multiples that are used (by choice of the user) from the printer to print...

Actually the above is one of the reasons I never understood why we need more camera pixels than much better image quality (and absence of artefacts during capturing)... A perfect capture, will print superbly at 72ppi (on an Epson - 75 on a Canon), while a bad capture will print poorly on anything... Thus, 24mp is enough to print perfectly well on a 60" Epson using the full 60" for the smaller image side... Now, sampling or not (up to 300ppi for a Canon or 360ppi for an Epson) to print is another extremely interesting conversation...

EDIT: One thing is for sure... with todays offered sensor resolution, having better pixels should be much more preferable than having more of them...
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Theodoros on October 07, 2014, 07:08:36 pm
Hi,

I would rather put the limit at 180PPI for an excellent print, that can be viewed reasonably close. The OP suggests that 360 PPI is needed to fully utilise the printing process, and he previously made the point that he has extremely good vision. Better vision than 20/20 is not uncommon.

On the other hand I would possible argue 20/20 vision, which is about 1' of arc, applies to high contrast edges but vision is dominated by lower frequency detail, so having good edge contrast at say 90 PPI may be more important than resolving detail at 360 PPI.

Best regards
Erik




Obviously Erik you are talking having Epson in mind... Of course the limits one puts for what he considers as minimum ppi is personal, but OTOH, nobody can argue that a picture is created and printed to be viewed as a whole... I never thought of looking close on parts of a print to judge the quality of a picture... I do that sometimes only for study purposes, but never include it in my criterion to judge a print... I wouldn't print scanned film (on an Epson) at less than 144ppi, that's for sure! But speaking about "edge contrast", that cannot be achieved if sensors out resolve the lenses, can it? At least not without "heavy" sharpening... Another thing to consider is (of course) the subject... I don't see why one should insist on 180, or 144, or 120, or even 90ppi on a distant landscape... I see why one may insist on 180 or 240 or 360 ...or even 720(!) with some rare small pieces of art though... It all depends on the subject and the quality of the capture IMO... Printing skills is another extremely important part of the process...
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 08, 2014, 12:13:56 am
Hi,

I used the 180 PPI figure for two reasons:

- It is often mentioned in litterature as the resolution needed for a very good print, like in the Bruce Fraser/Jeff Schewe book on sharpening. I am pretty sure that Norman Koren also mentioned that figure.
- It corresponds to the resolution of the human eye at 50 cm viewing distance.

Best regards
Erik


Obviously Erik you are talking having Epson in mind... Of course the limits one puts for what he considers as minimum ppi is personal, but OTOH, nobody can argue that a picture is created and printed to be viewed as a whole... I never thought of looking close on parts of a print to judge the quality of a picture... I do that sometimes only for study purposes, but never include it in my criterion to judge a print... I wouldn't print scanned film (on an Epson) at less than 144ppi, that's for sure! But speaking about "edge contrast", that cannot be achieved if sensors out resolve the lenses, can it? At least not without "heavy" sharpening... Another thing to consider is (of course) the subject... I don't see why one should insist on 180, or 144, or 120, or even 90ppi on a distant landscape... I see why one may insist on 180 or 240 or 360 ...or even 720(!) with some rare small pieces of art though... It all depends on the subject and the quality of the capture IMO... Printing skills is another extremely important part of the process...
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: EricWHiss on October 08, 2014, 12:17:22 pm
Moving away from printers for the moment….

There's pixels and then there are quality pixels. Just have lots of pixels doesn't mean very much to me. 

Do you see the next plateau in high resolution imaging having sensors with very fine pitch, or with significantly larger sensors than we have now?]

Discus
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Ken R on October 08, 2014, 12:27:58 pm
One does not always needs lot's of pixels but when one does, it's better to have them available...

In my type of photography I have noticed that I would love to have around 120 MP (high quality pixels with 14 stops DR) available in a single shot. For a lot of things 40 MP would be enough and for others around 20 MP. So I would love a digital back with 120 MP full res raw mode but the option of recording smaller raw files (using pixel binning?) of 40 MP and 20 MP. So three options. RAW, sRAW, sRAW2. That would be very very cool.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 08, 2014, 12:39:20 pm
Do you see the next plateau in high resolution imaging having sensors with very fine pitch, or with significantly larger sensors than we have now?]

Eric, I'm thinking finer pitch. My reasons:

We can get lots of pixels that way more cheaply, by riding on the coat tails of CMOS processes developed for other, higher-volume purposes.

We are nowhere near using all the available performance of the best lenses, at least, if my simulation results are right.

There's a lot of small pixel work being done for cellphone cameras.

Much bigger sensors means much bigger cameras and lenses, with cost and portablility issues.

Of course, I've been wrong before...

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 08, 2014, 01:46:39 pm
Hi,

My take on the issue is: both.

The way I see it:


So, ideal is a large sensor with small pixels.

Now, optimal pixel size depends on the process, as we want a decent ratio between sensel area and wiring area. So with narrower design rules optimal pixel size will go down. My guess is that we are approaching 3 microns in next generation.

There is also an issue with DoF and diffraction, larger sensors will need smaller apertures for a given DoF. If DoF is no issue, larger is better.

A limitation is that the camera needs to have a processing capability to handle large files, but I also feel that processing capability and storage capacity increases fast as technology scales.

Best regards
Erik

Eric, I'm thinking finer pitch. My reasons:

We can get lots of pixels that way more cheaply, by riding on the coat tails of CMOS processes developed for other, higher-volume purposes.

We are nowhere near using all the available performance of the best lenses, at least, if my simulation results are right.

There's a lot of small pixel work being done for cellphone cameras.

Much bigger sensors means much bigger cameras and lenses, with cost and portablility issues.

Of course, I've been wrong before...

Jim
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 01:54:00 pm
Hi,

I used the 180 PPI figure for two reasons:

- It is often mentioned in litterature as the resolution needed for a very good print, like in the Bruce Fraser/Jeff Schewe book on sharpening. I am pretty sure that Norman Koren also mentioned that figure.
- It corresponds to the resolution of the human eye at 50 cm viewing distance.

Best regards
Erik


Now you are coming in my (and others) position Erik... why one would look at a (say) 2m^2 (more than 12 sq.ft) print from a 50cm distance? ...can he see the picture from there? ...a picture is printed to be viewed as whole Erik, it's photography we are talking about, not testing one's vision ability. OTOH, in some rare product photography, or some pieces of art reproduction where the recipient often orders the print to study the item because he doesn't have direct access to the original, even higher than 360ppi may be required.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 01:56:53 pm
Moving away from printers for the moment….

There's pixels and then there are quality pixels. Just have lots of pixels doesn't mean very much to me. 

Do you see the next plateau in high resolution imaging having sensors with very fine pitch, or with significantly larger sensors than we have now?]

Discus
A common sense point... which leads (again) into the superiority of MS capturing conversation!  ;) ...love it!  :-*
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 08, 2014, 02:02:01 pm
Hi,

This paper is a good read: http://www-isl.stanford.edu/~abbas/group/papers_and_pub/pixelsize.pdf

The impression I have is that the papers says that 4-5 microns is optimal with 0.18 micron technology, but I also feel that the pixel model in the paper is a bit dated. Modern pixel designs use shared transistors and utilise the pixel area better than older designs.

Best regards
Erik

A common sense point... which leads (again) into the superiority of MS capturing conversation!  ;) ...love it!  :-*
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 02:30:10 pm
Hi,

This paper is a good read: http://www-isl.stanford.edu/~abbas/group/papers_and_pub/pixelsize.pdf

The impression I have is that the papers says that 4-5 microns is optimal with 0.18 micron technology, but I also feel that the pixel model in the paper is a bit dated. Modern pixel designs use shared transistors and utilise the pixel area better than older designs.

Best regards
Erik



    Actually the conclusion suggests a 6.5μm pixel as perfect, here is the conclusion only...

                                                                                                              CONCLUSION
    We proposed a methodology using a camera simulator, synthetic CSF scenes, and S-CIELAB for selecting the optimal pixel size for an image sensor given process technology parameters, imaging optics parameters, and imaging constraints. We applied the methodology to photodiode APS implemented in CMOS technologies down to 0.18μ and demonstrated the tradeoff between DR and SNR on one hand and spatial resolution and MTF on the other hand due to the selection of pixel size. Using mean ∆E as an image quality metric, we found that indeed an optimal pixel size exists, which represents the optimal tradeoff. For a 0.35μ process we found that a pixel size of around 6.5μm with fill factor 30% under certain imaging optics, illumination range, and integration time constraints achieves the lowest mean ∆E. We found that the optimal pixel size scales with technology, albeit at slower rate than the technology.

Given the last phrase (on technology dependance), but also considering the photon's reception angle for the edges/corners of a huge MF sensor, I wouldn't trust anything less than 6μm...
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 08, 2014, 02:40:15 pm
Yes,

With 0.35 micron technology, with 0.18 microns it would be 4-5 microns.  Please keep in mind that the article is based on a couple of years old pixel designs.

Technology sort of evolves over time…

6.8 microns3.8 microns
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a_large.png)(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_na.png)

Two images, same camera position and focal length. Which one do you prefer?

Best regards
Erik



    Actually the conclusion suggests a 6.5μm pixel as perfect, here is the conclusion only...

                                                                                                              CONCLUSION
    We proposed a methodology using a camera simulator, synthetic CSF scenes, and S-CIELAB for selecting the optimal pixel size for an image sensor given process technology parameters, imaging optics parameters, and imaging constraints. We applied the methodology to photodiode APS implemented in CMOS technologies down to 0.18μ and demonstrated the tradeoff between DR and SNR on one hand and spatial resolution and MTF on the other hand due to the selection of pixel size. Using mean ∆E as an image quality metric, we found that indeed an optimal pixel size exists, which represents the optimal tradeoff. For a 0.35μ process we found that a pixel size of around 6.5μm with fill factor 30% under certain imaging optics, illumination range, and integration time constraints achieves the lowest mean ∆E. We found that the optimal pixel size scales with technology, albeit at slower rate than the technology.

Given the last phrase (on technology dependance), but also considering the photon's reception angle for the edges/corners of a huge MF sensor, I wouldn't trust anything less than 6μm...
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 02:50:57 pm
Yes,

With 0.35 micron technology, with 0.18 microns it would be 4-5 microns.  Please keep in mind that the article is based on a couple of years old pixel designs.

Technology sort of evolves over time…

Best regards
Erik

You should take in mind the last phrase Erik... "We found that the optimal pixel size scales with technology, albeit at slower rate than the technology." 4-5 microns is huge difference (about 55-70% reduction) than the 6.5microns conclusion... It's no where near a sensible difference.

Edit: (on edit).... Out of the two images, I would prefer none... It's not the kind of image I care to shoot, ....I prefer to make my choices by my needs of capturing (as subject).
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 08, 2014, 02:53:08 pm
See post above.

Best regards
Erik

You should take in mind the last phrase Erik... "We found that the optimal pixel size scales with technology, albeit at slower rate than the technology." 4-5 microns is huge difference (about 55-70% reduction) than the 6.5microns conclusion... It's no where near a sensible difference.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 03:06:26 pm
See post above.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, it's YOU that posted the article (Great article, thanks for posting!) ...and now you disagree with the conclusion of the article you posted!
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 08, 2014, 04:49:15 pm
As we have seen in the discussion, it is very hard to utilize 60" wide paper at 360 PPI fully, with high transferred modulation at the 1/360" pixel level. So quite obviously, the prints normally don't fully utilize the resolution of the printer.

Some media make it impossible to use the full resolution of the printer. I'm thinking of matte finishes, especially on uncoated paper, and canvas. That's not a bad thing, if you plan for it. I recently had a 60x60 canvas print made of this image for an exhibition (I love it when they want large prints):

(http://www.kasson.com/ll/BL373.jpg)

The original file was 6000x6000, with very high-quality pixels, since it was res'd down from 6000x1,000,000 pixels. (16 stitched Betterlight captures). That gives only about 100 ppi. We res'd the image up to 360 ppi before we sent it to the printer, but I have the impression that it wouldn't have looked much sharper on canvas even if I'd had that much real resolution. Certainly the 15x15 proofs on canvas looked a lot softer than 15x15 proofs on Exhibition Fiber.

That's not to say that the final result was bad in any way; I was delighted. For another subject, the story might have been different, and canvas would have been inappropriate.

In the mid-nineties, there was a printer at a service bureau in Las Vegas that had been designed and constructed to print billboards. It printed with acrylic automobile paints. The halftoning software wanted the image at 18 ppi. I made several really nice prints with that printer. 

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 05:27:12 pm
I would try three things before I res'it up to 360ppi... 1.Down sample it to 90ppi and then up-sample it to 360ppi... 2.Up-sample it to 120ppi and then re-upsample it up to 360... 3. Down sample it to 90ppi ...and print it!

From sense, I think of "1"... but I would try all of them on my monitor anyway. But still... is it a "perfect" capture?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 08, 2014, 05:38:56 pm
But still... is it a "perfect" capture?

I'm not sure what you mean. I suppose, from one perspective, nothing ever is. From another, it's pretty great, with about 160 source pixels being averaged into each pixel in the working copy of the final edit. In the orthogonal direction to the time one, I could have used some more resolution, since I needed f/45 on the 120mm AM-ED Nikkor for the DOF, and the photodiode array is maybe 3 inches high. There was some CA that I had to process out.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 05:51:23 pm
I'm not sure what you mean. I suppose, from one perspective, nothing ever is. From another, it's pretty great, with about 160 source pixels being averaged into each pixel in the working copy of the final edit. In the orthogonal direction to the time one, I could have used some more resolution, since I needed f/45 on the 120mm AM-ED Nikkor for the DOF, and the photodiode array is maybe 3 inches high. There was some CA that I had to process out.

Jim
Sounds good... but since this was obviously a still capture, using a Betterlight for so long as 16 captures require can be an issue... I just wonder, I don't say you did anything wrong by any means...  :) My quote was on my opinion on the printing process... One may ignore the "capture" part... it's only there to underline my opinion that printing big requires a "perfect" capture.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 08, 2014, 06:02:10 pm
Sounds good... but since this was obviously a still capture, using a Betterlight for so long as 16 captures require can be an issue...

Well, it was a 14-hour series of exposures, and I did have to write some Matlab code to find and deal with instances of subject motion as well as doing one-dimensional downresing and median filtering, so in that sense the capture wasn't perfect.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 06:05:54 pm
Well, it was a 14-hour series of exposures, and I did have to write some Matlab code to find and deal with instances of subject motion as well as doing one-dimensional downresing and median filtering, so in that sense the capture wasn't perfect.

Jim
I will stay with your comment: "That's not to say that the final result was bad in any way; I was delighted."... A creation belongs to the creator! Well done.  ;)  What do you think on my printing proposals?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 08, 2014, 06:29:55 pm
What do you think on my printing proposals?

Sending the image at 90 ppi to the printer driver wouldn't be my first choice. The Epson driver resamples the image it is fed to either 360 or 720 ppi (depending on the state of the "fine detail" check box, using nearest neighbor. With a 90 ppi image, that means that every pixel in the input image becomes a 4x4 square of equal-value pixels in the image the halftoner works from. The canvas will probably smooth that out enough so that you won't notice it, but I prefer not to take chances, and upsample using a more sophisticated algorithm such as Lanczos 3 or the proprietary algorithms in QImage.

Your other suggestion was to do the upsampling in two stages. That has proven to be a successful regime for some, and, if I remember right, was the basis for the Genuine Fractals plug-in many years ago. My own personal experience is that doing the resolution changing in one shot is at least as good, and I'd rather spen my time making sure I'm using an algorithm suited to the image than trying various staged possibilities. But to each his own, and I'm sure that, done with care, the staged approach can yield successful results. In any event, I think there is more leverage in the choice of algorithm than in the choice of ratio, but that's just a personal opinion.

We have some experts on this board, Bart van der Wolf and Nicolas Robidoux, who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about resampling.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 08, 2014, 06:43:45 pm
Sending the image at 90 ppi to the printer driver wouldn't be my first choice. The Epson driver resamples the image it is fed to either 360 or 720 ppi (depending on the state of the "fine detail" check box, using nearest neighbor. With a 90 ppi image, that means that every pixel in the input image becomes a 4x4 square of equal-value pixels in the image the halftoner works from. The canvas will probably smooth that out enough so that you won't notice it, but I prefer not to take chances, and upsample using a more sophisticated algorithm such as Lanczos 3 or the proprietary algorithms in QImage.

Your other suggestion was to do the upsampling in two stages. That has proven to be a successful regime for some, and, if I remember right, was the basis for the Genuine Fractals plug-in many years ago. My own personal experience is that doing the resolution changing in one shot is at least as good, and I'd rather spen my time making sure I'm using an algorithm suited to the image than trying various staged possibilities. But to each his own, and I'm sure that, done with care, the staged approach can yield successful results. In any event, I think there is more leverage in the choice of algorithm than in the choice of ratio, but that's just a personal opinion.

We have some experts on this board, Bart van der Wolf and Nicolas Robidoux, who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about resampling.

Jim
OK... But, when downsampling to 90 or up-sampling to 120 (in first stage), there is still a choice of algorithm involved... it's just kept to the minimum possible influence... If one aims to affect the capture as little as possible it seems a logical approach, ...doesn't it?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 08, 2014, 06:59:05 pm
OK... But, when downsampling to 90 or up-sampling to 120 (in first stage), there is still a choice of algorithm involved... it's just kept to the minimum possible influence... If one aims to affect the capture as little as possible it seems a logical approach, ...doesn't it?

When upsampling in two stages, there are two opportunities to select and tune the algorithms. When upsampling in one stage, there is only one such set of choices -- and there are many choices within each algorithm: window sizes, parameters, post-resampling deconvolution filtering, etc. I don't that two stages is any less likely to affect the capture than one (and I'm not sure precisely what that means). Actually, we want to affect the capture; otherwise we'd leave it at the original resolution. We just want the effects to be whatever we decide are good ones, and to minimize whatever we decide are bad effects. But that's not so easy to define.

Jim
Title: Re:
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 08, 2014, 07:54:17 pm
What does quality pixel even mean. It's a dimensionless entity with a RGB value as it's only property. I'll take more of them before I pay for a bigger sensor. The cost of a chip is closely related to size. With improved technology more pixels in a given size basically comes for free. If I can keep dynamic range I'll take more. When we are diffraction limited wide open we have enough.

But speaking of DR. What is the limit of DR that could be obtained in a single capture?
Title: Re:
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 08, 2014, 08:13:29 pm
What does quality pixel even mean. It's a dimensionless entity with a RGB value as it's only property. I'll take more of them before I pay for a bigger sensor. The cost of a chip is closely related to size. With improved technology more pixels in a given size basically comes for free. If I can keep dynamic range I'll take more. When we are diffraction limited wide open we have enough.

But speaking of DR. What is the limit of DR that could be obtained in a single capture?

One measure of quality is the signal-to-noise ratio. So, more light, higher quantum efficiency, larger fill factors, bigger chips, all help. But you want to measure the quality as sent to the printer, not necessarily with the same number of pixels produces by the camera.

The limits of single capture DR depend on the definition you are using. There are those who like "engineering" DR, which is th max signal over the read noise or the max signal over the signal that produces an SNR of 1, depending on who you're talking to. I prefer the ratio of the max signal to that signal which produces a photographically acceptable SNR, which for me is around 10.

Once you've agreed on a definition, then the result is a function of the resolution of the output image.

And, in the real world, a function of lens flare, etc.

It's not easy to answer that question.

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: RobertJ on October 08, 2014, 10:59:42 pm
Question:
Do you judge how a print will look like on screen by viewing at 50% (I don't know if this is true)?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 08, 2014, 11:58:14 pm
Question:
Do you judge how a print will look like on screen by viewing at 50% (I don't know if this is true)?

The only way that I know of to judge what a print will look like is to make a proof print. You can get close on-screen, but you can't really tell for sure.

Jim
Title: Re:
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 09, 2014, 01:17:26 am
Jim, I'm too dumb to be asking these kinds of questions as I don't understand all of your reply. But it's that last part I'm curious about. There is some practical limit of what a lens can deliver. Are we even close to being able to record it? Is flare the biggest limiting factor?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: hjulenissen on October 09, 2014, 01:59:23 am
Its noise per sensor area that is lower with larger sensors Erik... at least that's what Physics suggest.
This can be approached by introducing arguments and references to relevant theory, or introducing real-world side-by-side tests that confirm or fail to confirm your view. Simply claiming "because... physics" is not very fruitful.
Quote
Back to the artefacts matter though... I see that you only mean moire when you refer to artefacts, isn't it?  We all have to understand that if Bayer pattern was absent, there would have been no moire problem... Detail would also improve considerably since what the human eye understands as resolution is the colour difference between pixels and thus interpolated colour mistakes affects resolution too and DR would improve considerably...
There is aliasing in any sampling system as long as the input signal has a bandwidth >= fs/2. Man-made sampling systems might include some kind of "anti-aliasing" prefiltering (explicit or implicit), but like any man-made filters they won't have infinite attenuation in the stop-band. What might be realistic (for some systems/cases) is for this aliasing to be sufficiently attenuated to levels where they are no longer a big problem. There is no need for the signal to be periodic, by the way. A single impulse (think single-sensel-size star against a black sky) contains a wide range of frequencies and may cause aliasing.

With the CFA used in "Bayer" sensors, the 3 sampling frequencies are simply shifted downwards. If you prefilter at this new minimum fs/2, I believe that there will be no Bayer artifacts (and Debayering will be a very simple linear operation). One reason that we don't do such prefiltering is that the sensel density is simply not high enough. The resulting (luminance) resolution would simply be too low, and the artifacts from the CFA pre/post processing are often surprisingly small anyways. The current level of prefiltering and postprocessing may be a compromise that works well for current sensel densities and print sizes/viewing distances.

Therefore, I am eagerly awaiting the time when sensor manufacturers can give us a (near) photon-noise-limited Bayer sensor of e.g. 180MP with good color selectivity and angular light response, where natural and/or introduced filtering limits the degree of "detail" to a lot less than 10x what can be had with my current 18MP camera. The 100% pixel view will be a blurry mess, but the A2 images that I frame ought to be better looking with less processing effort.

-h
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 09, 2014, 02:05:33 am
16 stitched Betterlight captures

Jim,

Interesting, that's something I have been considering trying to. How did you move the camera/back?

What that spherical stitching or did you use shift? If you used shift, what lens did you use with such a coverage? One of the mega schneider monsters covering 11x14?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 09, 2014, 03:10:26 am
This can be approached by introducing arguments and references to relevant theory, or introducing real-world side-by-side tests that confirm or fail to confirm your view. Simply claiming "because... physics" is not very fruitful.

I agree. Moiré is just one manifestation of aliasing, it is not restricted to Bayer CFA false color artifacts (which are mostly caused by different under-sampling densities between Red/Blue and Green, and how the Raw converter handles that).

Quote
There is aliasing in any sampling system as long as the input signal has a bandwidth >= fs/2. Man-made sampling systems might include some kind of "anti-aliasing" prefiltering (explicit or implicit), but like any man-made filters they won't have infinite attenuation in the stop-band. What might be realistic (for some systems/cases) is for this aliasing to be sufficiently attenuated to levels where they are no longer a big problem. There is no need for the signal to be periodic, by the way. A single impulse (think single-sensel-size star against a black sky) contains a wide range of frequencies and may cause aliasing.

Correct, a sharp edge will aliase 'just fine', especially with sensors that have low fill factors. Multi-sampling with half sensel offsets will increase the apparent fill factor and sampling density, and full sensel offsets will eliminate the unequal Bayer CFA sampling densities. It will not eliminate aliasing, just reduce its most visible effects to more acceptable levels.

Quote
With the CFA used in "Bayer" sensors, the 3 sampling frequencies are simply shifted downwards. If you prefilter at this new minimum fs/2, I believe that there will be no Bayer artifacts (and Debayering will be a very simple linear operation). One reason that we don't do such pre-filtering is that the sensel density is simply not high enough. The resulting (luminance) resolution would simply be too low, and the artifacts from the CFA pre/post processing are often surprisingly small anyways. The current level of prefiltering and postprocessing may be a compromise that works well for current sensel densities and print sizes/viewing distances.

The most objectionable kind of aliasing is false color aliasing caused (but not exclusively) by repetitive subject patterns with high spatial frequency when projected on the sensor. Some 'nice' examples here (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54529428). This kind of aliasing can be made less obvious with the right tools, but the residual luminance aliasing is harder to reduce once it is created.

Prevention is better than cure, and increasing the sampling density (over-sampling) is one way to reduce aliasing. That can be achieved by either using relatively smaller sensels (exploiting over-sampling or optical blur), sub-pixel offset sampling, or by using more projection magnification (which increases the size of the image features that are projected on the sensor array), or pre-filtering.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: bjanes on October 09, 2014, 06:35:40 am
Hi,

This paper is a good read: http://www-isl.stanford.edu/~abbas/group/papers_and_pub/pixelsize.pdf

The impression I have is that the papers says that 4-5 microns is optimal with 0.18 micron technology, but I also feel that the pixel model in the paper is a bit dated. Modern pixel designs use shared transistors and utilise the pixel area better than older designs.

Best regards
Erik


Not only that, but the analysis is for monochrome, not Bayer array sensors, and it does not take microlenses into account. I didn't read the whole article, but I'm not sure if it applies to per pixel dynamic range or to down sampled DR for high pixel density sensors (screen vs. print DR in DXO terminology.

Bill
Title: Re:
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 09, 2014, 09:27:24 am
Monochrome, no microlenses and assuming a CRT display.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Ken R on October 09, 2014, 10:48:10 am
Ok, enough of the tech talk.  ;D

Anyone want to see how much resolution is enough? or required?

Go to a Rodney Lough JR Gallery (las Vegas or San Fran (the Wharf)) and look at some of the VERY large prints on display. Get close. Yes, real close, no, 50cm is not close enough. Get your nose to almost touch the glass. See the detail? Yes, you can count the blades of grass on a wide angle shot. Count every leaf. Those prints do not leave you wanting for more resolution. Only color prints I have seen that large that do that. Almost every print is just stunningly well made and look amazing even under close scrutiny.

The Peter Lik prints are almost as good but not quite. He gets a touch sloppy on some although most are awesome also.

Again, I am talking color prints.

Google what kind of gear they use and techniques.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 09, 2014, 11:49:52 am
Rodney Lough JR used a 8x10" view camera for much of his work and presently uses an RL3d with an IQ180 back. His maximum print size appears to be 45" (114cm) on the shorter side. The prints are probably about 180-200 dpi.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 09, 2014, 11:53:36 am
Ok, enough of the tech talk.  ;D

Anyone want to see how much resolution is enough? or required?

Go to a Rodney Lough JR Gallery (las Vegas or San Fran (the Wharf)) and look at some of the VERY large prints on display. Get close. Yes, real close, no, 50cm is not close enough. Get your nose to almost touch the glass. See the detail? Yes, you can count the blades of grass on a wide angle shot. Count every leaf. Those prints do not leave you wanting for more resolution. Only color prints I have seen that large that do that. Almost every print is just stunningly well made and look amazing even under close scrutiny.

The Peter Lik prints are almost as good but not quite. He gets a touch sloppy on some although most are awesome also.

Again, I am talking color prints.

Google what kind of gear they use and techniques.
"Use your  magnify lens"... "Makers are stupid"! "P1 is right for being the only one that has moved (a little) below 6microns"... "We know better"... "We know everything !" ..."You need prints to be captured at 300dpi"! ..."Move closer"! ..."Less ppi is because there is a conspiracy against the public"! ..."Gursky is overrated because he doesn't use enough ppis"... "I close examined that expensive print and it was rubbish"... "I watch prints to judge them at less than 50cm no matter the size of them"... I want, I want, I want... I know, I know, I know... 

I wonder why the industry doesn't employ the posters, or acts against their "results", ...and still survives?! ...I really wonder if a maker makes an 180mp back (as it was mentioned earlier) with Bayer pattern... If ANY of the posters would buy it... Who is the "customer"? ...lets see the "preorders list"... Is there a man that would put his money on a 4microns MFDB? ...let's see the "hands up" and their "declaration of purchase"... Saying "I want this to be made ...for others to consume it", sounds ...(@#$%!&^)  whatever to me... It's easy to talk on (wrong) theories with your pocket not involved!  ???
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 09, 2014, 12:04:09 pm
Rodney Lough JR used a 8x10" view camera for much of his work and presently uses an RL3d with an IQ180 back. His maximum print size appears to be 45" (114cm) on the shorter side. The prints are probably about 180-200 dpi.
Actually It's 44" Jerome..., but them being at 180-200ppi, wasn't your O/P about someone needing 300ppi?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 09, 2014, 12:08:40 pm
Hi,

That would be 185 PPI, pretty consistent with the suggestion that 180 PPI is needed for a very good print. Pretty much consistent with this article of my (http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/82-why-i-cannot-see-a-difference-in-a2-size-prints).

It is also consistent with the observation in above article that high contrasts texture and line patterns need higher resolution to avoid aliasing and pixelation.

So, I guess we are in a race between good enough and more is even better.

Yes, I am a bit split on the issue. My experience is that 180 PPI is good enough to view normal objects in prints, but higher resolution is needed for high contrast texture and even more resolution is needed to eliminate fake details.  

This image shows the advantage of high resolution clearly:
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/PrintSize_3/DPReview/Lines.png)

While this is much less clear:
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/PrintSize_3/DPReview/HairyBalls.png)

Both crops correspond to 180 PPI in an A2 size print.

The images here are all from Imaging Resource (http://www.imaging-resource.com).

Best regards
Erik

Rodney Lough JR used a 8x10" view camera for much of his work and presently uses an RL3d with an IQ180 back. His maximum print size appears to be 45" (114cm) on the shorter side. The prints are probably about 180-200 dpi.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 09, 2014, 12:34:24 pm
It is also consistent with the observation in (my) above article that high contrasts texture and line patterns need higher resolution to avoid aliasing and pixelation.

So, I guess we are in a race between good enough and more is even better.
Best regards
Erik


I still fail to see the race... the two new CMOS sensors (the latest in technology) for MF (Leica & Sony - the only ones that are expected to sell on some numbers at "next day's future")... are with 6microns (Leica) and well above 5 microns (Sony)... where is the "race"?
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 09, 2014, 12:38:04 pm
Interesting, that's something I have been considering trying to. How did you move the camera/back?

What that spherical stitching or did you use shift? If you used shift, what lens did you use with such a coverage? One of the mega schneider monsters covering 11x14?

Bernard, it's a little complicated, and all is not what it seems to be. I can explain.

The idea behind this series, which I call Timescapes, is one dimension of the image is distance, like a normal photograph, but the other dimension is time, quite unlike a normal photograph, but like the images from finish-line cameras at racetracks. I use a Betterlight Super 6K back on a Linhof Master Technica, and occasionally an Ebony field camera, which provides a delicious combination of old=tech and high-tech.

There is a rotating platform available for the Betterlight back that allows it to be used to make panoramas. When the camera software is in panorama mode, the sensor goes to the center of its travel and stays there, expecting the rotating platform to provide the scanning. In this mode, the back can make images of up to 6000x64000 pixels with no interpolation.

So how do I get the camera to make the Timescapes pictures? I lie to the software. I tell it that the camera is on a rotating platform, but it's firmly attached to the head of a normal tripod. Therefore, any changes visible in the picture that results are the result of subject motion. To get multiple exposures for stiching, I use the camera software's built-in intervalometer.

Now, about this image.

I have some succulents that my wife propagated from a cutting Don Worth (yes, that Don Worth; AA's assistant and, with Jack Welpott, creator of one of the great photography education programs) gave to me. The succulent was created by Don — it’s a hybrid of Echeveria Shaviana and Echeveria Subrigida, and it’s called Echeveria Afterglow.

Slit scans need some motion to rise above banality, and succulents are not known for their athleticism. I figured, if I can’t get the plant to move, I can at least get the light to change. In fact, since I’m taking the photographs in direct sunlight, I can’t get the light not to change. So I made a series of images with long exposures. When the slit was vertical, I had time run from right to left, and with the slit horizontal, time goes from top to bottom.

You can see more of the series here (http://www.kasson.com/galleries/timescapes.php).

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: EricWHiss on October 09, 2014, 01:35:38 pm
Eric, I'm thinking finer pitch. My reasons:

We can get lots of pixels that way more cheaply, by riding on the coat tails of CMOS processes developed for other, higher-volume purposes.

We are nowhere near using all the available performance of the best lenses, at least, if my simulation results are right.

There's a lot of small pixel work being done for cellphone cameras.

Much bigger sensors means much bigger cameras and lenses, with cost and portablility issues.

Of course, I've been wrong before...

Jim

Hi Jim,
I see your logic, and probably this is the way the tech will go since devices such as cell phones will push for smaller pixels and higher quality small optics.   It's an interesting dilemma because that route will be one which pushes the glass to be shorter, faster, smaller and higher cost for the reasons of diffraction etc.  Going to a smaller pixel will up the cost of lenses, and also affect range of DOF the photographer can use on both sides -  Shallow DOF will not be as easy since format is smaller and faster glass not so easy to come by, and deep DOF not possible because diffraction limits are found sooner when stopping down because of the smaller pixels. Technology on small pixels is still developing but the limits of physics are there - smaller pixels will ultimately have less dynamic range than larger pixels - all else being held equal.

On the flip side, a larger sensor will be more costly because of lower yields in manufacturing, and the cameras will be larger and heavier as you pointed out.   So you'd put your money into the sensor instead of the glass.   The glass is less stressed and the photographer could have more range of DOF control available because a larger sensor would not necessarily need smaller pixels.   Also worth noting - when you are working with a larger sensor the magnification/compression of the image is much less and this can be apparent in the image.  The glass does not have to work as hard to transfer a large range of frequencies in the image scene at high contrast either.

For these reasons, I tend to see the future heading towards very small and perhaps just cell phone cameras, but with a small niche market for a very high end larger sensor camera platform for those that need the control.   


Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: jerome_m on October 09, 2014, 01:54:25 pm
That would be 185 PPI, pretty consistent with the suggestion that 180 PPI is needed for a very good print. Pretty much consistent with this article of my (http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/82-why-i-cannot-see-a-difference-in-a2-size-prints).

Actually, my experience of large prints has been that ~200ppi are fine, but the quality visually deteriorates below 200 ppi. How much depends on the subject. Still: apparent sharness definitely improves between 200 ppi and 300 ppi.

300 ppi for 60" x 80" is 18000 x 24000 pixels, 200 ppi for 60" x 80" is 12000 x 16000 pixels.

We can discuss whether 200 ppi or 300 ppi is needed all day long, the fact remain that the 60" printers demand resolution that cannot be attained by present cameras for best output. Which was always the point of this thread.

This thread started tongue in cheek about the realisation that available inkjet printers are better than any camera on the market today and, therefore, that the idea that digital MF cameras have too high a resolution is absurd. It then evolved about out of my control about bizarre theories about printing, optimal pixel size, moire and lenses, etc... But this was never my intention.

My intention was always about large prints and large printers. I have printed somewhat big and reached the limits of my cameras of the time (24 mpix 24 x 36). I have been to galleries and museums and have experienced large prints, both analogue and digital. I know perfectly well what can be done, because I have tested it myself. And I know just as well that few photographers can produce large prints which appear sharp when looked up close, because I have been to galleries and museums and watched prints up close.

(Edit: corrected dpi to ppi.)
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 09, 2014, 02:00:38 pm
I see your logic, and probably this is the way the tech will go since devices such as cell phones will push for smaller pixels and higher quality small optics.  

If FF is "small", we're already there with the Oti (is that the plural of Otus?), the Sigma ART series, the Coastal Optical 60mm macro lens, and some others. We could have  2um pixels and not run out of lens resolution with those lenses.  It's interesting as the lens quality for FF lenses increases, the lenses themselves get much larger, until they are almost as big as some MF lenses. That's not always true: the Coastal 60 and the Leica 50 f/2 APO are counterexamples.

It's an interesting dilemma because that route will be one which pushes the glass to be shorter, faster, smaller and higher cost for the reasons of diffraction etc.  Going to a smaller pixel will up the cost of lenses, and also affect range of DOF the photographer can use on both sides -  Shallow DOF will not be as easy since format is smaller and faster glass not so easy to come by, and deep DOF not possible because diffraction limits are found sooner when stopping down because of the smaller pixels.

Within reason, that all sorts itself out: http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/

But your original question was about sensor getting bigger than they are, and they're already a bit under 56mm in the long dimension. I think they could get a little bigger -- I'd sure like to see a 56mmx56mm sensor, but I don't expect to see 4x5 inch and 8x10inch sensors as standard photographic tools in my admittedly limited prospective lifetime.

Technology on small pixels is still developing but the limits of physics are there - smaller pixels will ultimately have less dynamic range than larger pixels - all else being held equal.

Smaller pixels have more limited dynamic range per pixel, but if you take a sensor of a given physical size, making the pixels smaller doesn't reduce the dynamic range of the captured image as a whole.

Good luck with Rollei!

Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 09, 2014, 02:14:10 pm
Hi,

My view is that thriving for large usable apertures makes for large and expensive lenses. Personally I am an f/8 shooter, so making medium aperture lenses like f/2.8 makes a lot of sense to me. Those lenses can be small and reasonably priced.

Right now I feel quite inspired with the Zeiss Loxia lenses, the ZM series recalculated for 2mm cover glass. If Sony makes a camera within the 36-54 MP range with an electronic first curtain I would certainly be one of the first ones to buy.

Best regards
Erik




If FF is "small", we're already there with the Oti (is that the plural of Otus?), the Sigma ART series, the Coastal Optical 60mm macro lens, and some others. It's interesting as the lens quality for FF lenses increases, the lenses themselves get much larger, until they are almost as big as some MF lenses. That's not always true: the Coastal 60 and the Leica 50 f/2 APO are counterexamples.


Title: Re: Sv: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 09, 2014, 03:00:27 pm
Going to a smaller pixel will up the cost of lenses, and also affect range of DOF the photographer can use on both sides -  Shallow DOF will not be as easy since format is smaller and faster glass not so easy to come by, and deep DOF not possible because diffraction limits are found sooner when stopping down because of the smaller pixels. Technology on small pixels is still developing but the limits of physics are there - smaller pixels will ultimately have less dynamic range than larger pixels - all else being held equal.


But all else is not being held equal. Thinking about smaller feature size, different layout, copper, microlenses and so on.

Diffraction is not a limit on aperture. When we are diffraction limited wide open you are free to worry about what the image need for the intended viewing size. 1:1 pixel view is going to be soft anyway.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 09, 2014, 03:18:13 pm
Actually, my experience of large prints has been that ~200dpi are fine, but the quality visually deteriorates below 200 dpi. How much depends on the subject. Still: apparent sharness definitely improves between 200 dpi and 300 dpi.

300 dpi for 60" x 80" is 18000 x 24000 pixels, 200 dpi for 60" x 80" is 12000 x 16000 pixels.

We can discuss whether 200 dpi or 300 dpi is needed all day long, the fact remain that the 60" printers demand resolution that cannot be attained by present cameras for best output. Which was always the point of this thread.

This thread started tongue in cheek about the realisation that available inkjet printers are better than any camera on the market today and, therefore, that the idea that digital MF cameras have too high a resolution is absurd. It then evolved about out of my control about bizarre theories about printing, optimal pixel size, moire and lenses, etc... But this was never my intention.

My intention was always about large prints and large printers. I have printed somewhat big and reached the limits of my cameras of the time (24 mpix 24 x 36). I have been to galleries and museums and have experienced large prints, both analogue and digital. I know perfectly well what can be done, because I have tested it myself. And I know just as well that few photographers can produce large prints which appear sharp when looked up close, because I have been to galleries and museums and watched prints up close.
There is no print than can be made as low as 200dpi or even 300dpi Jerome... Not on a Canon or an Epson printer anyway... Perhaps you mean ppi and just confused it with printer's dpi.... is that what you mean?
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 09, 2014, 03:30:18 pm
Hi,

Yes, PPI and DPI is often mixed up. I am quite tolerant about that.

Best regards
Erik

There is no print than can be made as low as 200dpi or even 300dpi Jerome... Not on a Canon or an Epson printer anyway... Perhaps you mean ppi and just confused it with printer's dpi.... is that what you mean?
Title: Re: Sv: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 09, 2014, 03:38:32 pm
Hi,

I would say that DR is more about sensor area than pixel size, equivalent technology presumed. But, I don´t really think that DR is decisive for image quality, I would say that less than 0.1% of my 70000 images are affected by DR.

Would I grade causes of bad image quality, the causes would be:

1) Subject choice
2) Bad cropping
3) Wind
4) Lack of DoF
5) Bad focus
6) Aliasing
7) Diffraction
…
..
DR

Best regards
Erik



But all else is not being held equal. Thinking about smaller feature size, different layout, copper, microlenses and so on.

Diffraction is not a limit on aperture. When we are diffraction limited wide open you are free to worry about what the image need for the intended viewing size. 1:1 pixel view is going to be soft anyway.
Title: Re: Sv: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Theodoros on October 09, 2014, 03:48:55 pm
Hi,

I would say that DR is more about sensor area than pixel size, equivalent technology presumed. But, I don´t really think that DR is decisive for image quality, I would say that less than 0.1% of my 70000 images are affected by DR.

Best regards
Erik

What one judges as priority to him... is obviously personal... PHOTOgraphy though, is not personal... it's by definition a print that involves lighting difference and the treating of lighting difference... by definition! ..That's what a PHOTOgraph is!
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: eronald on October 09, 2014, 04:02:04 pm
So these are not really photographs, they are waitographs :)

Edmund

Bernard, it's a little complicated, and all is not what it seems to be. I can explain.

The idea behind this series, which I call Timescapes, is one dimension of the image is distance, like a normal photograph, but the other dimension is time, quite unlike a normal photograph, but like the images from finish-line cameras at racetracks. I use a Betterlight Super 6K back on a Linhof Master Technica, and occasionally an Ebony field camera, which provides a delicious combination of old=tech and high-tech.

There is a rotating platform available for the Betterlight back that allows it to be used to make panoramas. When the camera software is in panorama mode, the sensor goes to the center of its travel and stays there, expecting the rotating platform to provide the scanning. In this mode, the back can make images of up to 6000x64000 pixels with no interpolation.

So how do I get the camera to make the Timescapes pictures? I lie to the software. I tell it that the camera is on a rotating platform, but it's firmly attached to the head of a normal tripod. Therefore, any changes visible in the picture that results are the result of subject motion. To get multiple exposures for stiching, I use the camera software's built-in intervalometer.

Now, about this image.

I have some succulents that my wife propagated from a cutting Don Worth (yes, that Don Worth; AA's assistant and, with Jack Welpott, creator of one of the great photography education programs) gave to me. The succulent was created by Don — it’s a hybrid of Echeveria Shaviana and Echeveria Subrigida, and it’s called Echeveria Afterglow.

Slit scans need some motion to rise above banality, and succulents are not known for their athleticism. I figured, if I can’t get the plant to move, I can at least get the light to change. In fact, since I’m taking the photographs in direct sunlight, I can’t get the light not to change. So I made a series of images with long exposures. When the slit was vertical, I had time run from right to left, and with the slit horizontal, time goes from top to bottom.

You can see more of the series here (http://www.kasson.com/galleries/timescapes.php).

Jim
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 09, 2014, 04:12:43 pm
So these are not really photographs, they are waitographs :)

Edmund, like boiling a pot of water, if you hang around and wait, it takes a lot longer to make a succulent image this way. Same with the clouds and the sunsets. However, the wave exposures are five or ten minutes,  which is too short a time to go do something else, so they are truly wait-o-graphs.

Jim
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Theodoros on October 09, 2014, 04:40:42 pm
So these are not really photographs, they are waitographs :)

Edmund


Many PHOTOgraphs are WAITographs... they are still PHOTOgraphs (among other photo-graphs).
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Paul Ozzello on October 09, 2014, 05:49:21 pm
Hi,

The question posted is not my idea…, the OP wants one pixel resolution for each resolved pixel in the print.

On the other hand the numbers I posted take Bayer interpolation into account. I would also say they are a bit conservative. In experiments I have done there is a clear degradation of image quality once Airy disc diameter gets larger than pixel size, but the figures I give are for twice the pixel size.

The samples below were shot on a 4.77 micron sensor with an 100/2.8 Minolta Macro at f/5.6 resp f/8. The second row was sharpened in FocusMagic, letting FM choosing the sharpening radius.
5.6 micron Airy diameter8.2 micron Airy diameter
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-5.jpg)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-9.jpg)
5.6 micron Airy diameter + FocusMagic8.2 micron Airy diameter + Focus Magic
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-5_fm.jpg)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DoF2/A55_100Macro_small1-9_fm.jpg)

I would add that I don't think there is anything wrong with the Bayer matrix. It requires an OLP filter to render colour detail correctly, but any point sampled system does require OLP filtering for proper rendition of luminousity.

Best regards
Erik




I keep hoping one day you'll mix it up and surprise us with a $2 bill
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Paul Ozzello on October 09, 2014, 05:53:09 pm

6.8 microns3.8 microns
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_a_large.png)(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Aliasing2/feather_na.png)

Two images, same camera position and focal length. Which one do you prefer?


Or some road kill from the side of the autobahn...
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 09, 2014, 07:22:09 pm
Bernard, it's a little complicated, and all is not what it seems to be. I can explain.

Thanks Jim, fascinating usage of the Betterlight!

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: Jim Kasson on October 09, 2014, 07:32:44 pm
Thanks Jim, fascinating usage of the Betterlight!

Mike Collette calls this "intentional misuse".

Jim
Title: Re: printer users who need 60" sometimes, but 44" is enough at other times
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 09, 2014, 09:20:38 pm
Mike Collette calls this "intentional misuse".

Yeah, I have seen that on their site. ;)

I guess I need to use mine more. I like the color purity a lot, but looking at the files at 100% depresses me a little compared to those of the D810. ;) I am just getting a much higher image quality much faster doing spherical stitching with the Nikon with top lenses. But then you have the fun of using movements,...

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: synn on October 09, 2014, 09:37:56 pm
..."Gursky is overrated because he doesn't use enough ppis"...



No, Gursky is overrated because a ginormous print of an unexceptional frame is still unexceptional.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 10, 2014, 01:29:40 am
Hi,

There are a few reasons for using a one Dollar bill.

One such reason is that it is widely available so any can take one up, shoot it adequately and reproduce my results. That is also the reason not to use a two Dollar bill, they are quite rare.

The other reason for using a bank note is that they have a lot of fine and hard to reproduce detail, in order to hinder counterfeiting. So they are a good test for proper reproduction.

The reason for using the feather is that I wanted to see if aliasing occurs on natural objects and if that aliasing can be mistaken for real detail.

The discussion here is about high resolution needed for large prints. So I feel the issues demonstrated here are relevant. The Dollar bill is used to demonstrate the effect of diffraction. The feather shows that smaller pixels reproduce fine regular structures better than large pixels.

None of this may be of interest to you if you are still shooting film, but may be of more interest if you shoot digital. Film doesn't have a regular structure like a digital sensor, so it does not alias for instance. Film is affected by diffraction, but large enlargement is needed to make it obvious, except in macro photography. But I have been very familiar with diffraction effects since the late seventies. So it is not a "digital era invention".

If you scan film, aliasing may still be of some interest to you. There is something called grain aliasing (http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm), scanning at low resolution can create large amounts of extra grain. So that is a reason to scan at high PPI.

Best regards
Erik





I keep hoping one day you'll mix it up and surprise us with a $2 bill
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: orc73 on October 10, 2014, 06:51:28 am
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/29/retina-imac-27-amd/

I did look at my files on a 27" 4k screen few weeks ago and 40mp became like an "ok" resolution
:)

I don't know if this could be of relevance in this discussion.
Title: Re:
Post by: Torbjörn Tapani on October 10, 2014, 07:51:09 am
I think it is relevant. 8K broadcast is coming before long (Tokyo Olympics 2020) testing starting in 2016. You would need to upres a D800 file to fit the long side.
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 10, 2014, 08:38:12 am
I don't know if this could be of relevance in this discussion.

Hi,

It still depends on the viewing distance.

Human visual acuity limits visible resolution to approx. 1 arc minute, which translates to 286.48 PPI at a 1 foot viewing distance. The required output PPI is then determined by dividing the 286.48 PPI by the distance in feet. So viewing your 27'' Retina display from a distance of something like 16-18 inches should approximately match average visual resolution.

Of course, if you use Jerome's loupe, you'll just see larger LED pixels, not more resolution.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Paul Ozzello on October 10, 2014, 09:14:41 pm
Hi,

There are a few reasons for using a one Dollar bill.

One such reason is that it is widely available so any can take one up, shoot it adequately and reproduce my results. That is also the reason not to use a two Dollar bill, they are quite rare.

The other reason for using a bank note is that they have a lot of fine and hard to reproduce detail, in order to hinder counterfeiting. So they are a good test for proper reproduction.

The reason for using the feather is that I wanted to see if aliasing occurs on natural objects and if that aliasing can be mistaken for real detail.

The discussion here is about high resolution needed for large prints. So I feel the issues demonstrated here are relevant. The Dollar bill is used to demonstrate the effect of diffraction. The feather shows that smaller pixels reproduce fine regular structures better than large pixels.

None of this may be of interest to you if you are still shooting film, but may be of more interest if you shoot digital. Film doesn't have a regular structure like a digital sensor, so it does not alias for instance. Film is affected by diffraction, but large enlargement is needed to make it obvious, except in macro photography. But I have been very familiar with diffraction effects since the late seventies. So it is not a "digital era invention".

If you scan film, aliasing may still be of some interest to you. There is something called grain aliasing (http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm), scanning at low resolution can create large amounts of extra grain. So that is a reason to scan at high PPI.

Best regards
Erik






I was teasing you Erik...
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 11, 2014, 12:23:54 am
Hi,

I am quite clear about that.

But my strategy is to try to give an honest and decently relevant response to postings and also being trying to be a bit polite.

Best regards
Erik

I was teasing you Erik...
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 11, 2014, 12:39:19 am
Hi Bart,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the one minute of arc figure applies to high contrast detail. Maximum contrast sensivity is at much lower frequencies. So I feel that for normal subjects high contrast (MTF) at say 4 arcs of minute would dominate over low contrast at 1 arc of minute.

What I see is that images with low resolution but good sharpening can look pretty good. Another observation may be that it is easier to see the benefits of a high resolution in an image if it contains high frequency high contrast details, like a test chart.

Another way to see it may be that 180 PPI, properly upsized to printer native resolution and properly sharpened would be pretty impressive even if viewed at close by the unaided eye (which normally has maximum resolution at 25 cm viewing distance). Viewing with a loupe changes the game, but I would say that pixel peeping on screen is much more comfortable than studying a large print with a loupe.

Best regards
Erik

Hi,

It still depends on the viewing distance.

Human visual acuity limits visible resolution to approx. 1 arc minute, which translates to 286.48 PPI at a 1 foot viewing distance. The required output PPI is then determined by dividing the 286.48 PPI by the distance in feet. So viewing your 27'' Retina display from a distance of something like 16-18 inches should approximately match average visual resolution.

Of course, if you use Jerome's loupe, you'll just see larger LED pixels, not more resolution.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: EricWHiss on October 11, 2014, 12:57:03 am
>Within reason, that all sorts itself out: http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/

Looks interesting, thanks for the link. 

>But your original question was about sensor getting bigger than they are, and they're already a bit under 56mm in the long dimension. I think they could get >a little bigger -- I'd sure like to see a 56mmx56mm sensor, but I don't expect to see 4x5 inch and 8x10inch sensors as standard photographic tools in my admittedly >limited prospective lifetime.

Yes I was thinking 6x6 square myself but also 4x5 though admittedly not much of a chance      to bad I can't just program it into the "matter compiler".   

I'm still of the opinion that the images from smaller cameras look flatter - as in lacking the perception of depth. Even the DSLR's, but then I haven't shot with an Otus or a costal optics lens.    I'm going to have a hard time believing that it all sorts out until I see it at myself.  There's a test waiting… same subject, same framing and DOF, but shot with every size format we can through at it.     

What happens when the pixel pitch goes like 10x finer - say fine enough to resolve diffraction effects and lens effects? Can any special math be applied in that case to improve IQ?

>Good luck with Rollei!

Thanks!

>Jim
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 11, 2014, 09:11:16 am
Hi Bart,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the one minute of arc figure applies to high contrast detail.

Hi Erik,

That's correct, it's a resolution limiting viewing distance, for average visual acuity. My visual acuity is a bit higher, and young people usually also have a higher visual acuity.

Quote
Maximum contrast sensivity is at much lower frequencies. So I feel that for normal subjects high contrast (MTF) at say 4 arcs of minute would dominate over low contrast at 1 arc of minute.

It's a bit more complex. It's true that the human Contrast Sensitivity Function (http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/MTF.html#Human_visual_acuity) (CSF) peaks at roughly 6-8 cycles/degree for luminosity, but it doesn't stop there, and it's also much flatter for chromaticity. It also varies with the average level of illuminance of our subject.

(http://webvision.med.utah.edu/imageswv/KallSpat24.jpg)
(see also here (http://webvision.med.utah.edu/book/part-viii-gabac-receptors/visual-acuity/))


In addition, the Vernier resolution of our eyes is much higher than that for parallel features.

A properly output sharpened image can somewhat take advantage of all that, by by adding a boost of the contrast for higher spatial frequencies. A PS plugin such as Topaz Labs Detail can do that very effectively. That of course does assume normal viewing conditions, not people with magnifying glasses walking up to the output to do close inspection.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Actually, we need even more resolution.
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 11, 2014, 04:26:44 pm
Hi Bart,

More reading, thanks a lot!

I thought about mentioning vernier acuity, but decided to skip over it. My take is really that high resolution is beneficial, but may only visible in some cases.

The resolution trumpet in the test charts will show aliasing quite obviously, but it is nothing we would object to on normal images. For instance, I often see detail (strains) in animal fur that I don't think should be resolved. Another area may be areas in facial skin showing texture while surrounding areas in the same focus not showing texture. I would think that some of that texture are aliases of existing textures, but that is hard to say.

Best regards
Eri



(see also here (http://webvision.med.utah.edu/book/part-viii-gabac-receptors/visual-acuity/))[/center]


In addition, the Vernier resolution of our eyes is much higher than that for parallel features.

A properly output sharpened image can somewhat take advantage of all that, by by adding a boost of the contrast for higher spatial frequencies. A PS plugin such as Topaz Labs Detail can do that very effectively. That of course does assume normal viewing conditions, not people with magnifying glasses walking up to the output to do close inspection.

Cheers,
Bart