Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: ChuckZ on July 02, 2011, 06:54:04 pm

Title: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: ChuckZ on July 02, 2011, 06:54:04 pm
I am looking for a camera backpack that can hold my Nikon D300 with a 16-85mm lens together with a 70-300mm lens, water bottle, and Gitzo travel tripod that is comfortable on long hikes.  Currently, I have a Tamrac that has places for all my gear, but gives me a sore back after about five miles no matter how I adjust it.  I’m hoping that someone who also does hiking and photography can offer me some thoughts.  Thank you.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: Ken Bennett on July 02, 2011, 07:08:11 pm
I asked this question here several years ago, and the best advice I received was to use a hiking pack and adapt it for cameras. I have an Osprey Kestrel 32 day pack, and use a selection of padded inserts to hold gear (there are several out there, I like this one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673869-REG/Mountainsmith_10_81064_01_Kit_Cube.html).) Osprey makes great packs, and of course there are other good hiking packs out there that would work.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: Ronny Nilsen on July 03, 2011, 02:23:36 am
I wrote up some of my findings on that subject here:
Backpacks For Photographers (http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Essays/Articles/BackPacks/)

What I use today is mostly the f-stop with different size ICU depending on the ratio of other stuff (clothes/food) - camera gear.

Ronny
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: ChuckZ on July 03, 2011, 09:33:30 am
Thank you for sharing your excellent article.  Now I have additional backpacks to check out beyond what I saw at my local camera store.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: rmyers on July 05, 2011, 11:16:56 pm
I bought an Arcterxy Altra.  It has a u-zipper that lets you access the inside of the pack without going through the top.  I have a Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter 400 that will fit in it.  The Altra has a fantastic suspension and belt system. The belt swivels as your hips move up and down.  Hard to explain.  Google it and look at videos.  Pretty easy to strap a tripod on the back or the side.  I carry a full size tripod on mine with no problem.  Highly recommended, but expensive.  One downside is that the fabric is not as heavy duty or as water resistant as the Arcterxy Bora.  The up side is that is it lighter.  Since the Stealth Reporter is water resistant and comes with a rain cover, the water resistance of the Altra / Stealth Reporter combination should be fine, at least for the camera gear.  Not waterproof but water resistant.  You can also buy an optional rain cover for it.

The Arcterxy Bora 80 has a large horizontal-zippered bottom entry sleeping bag compartment that could hold some inserts.  It won't hold the Stealth Reporter 400 in the sleeping bag compartment which would allow you access to gear without pulling the camera bag out.  Might hold a 300 or some other inserts, but I didn't actually try it.  The 400 will fit in the pack, but then you have to pull it out through the bottom to access the gear.  Not optimal.  This pack is bomber.  It is built for serious use and abuse and is more water resistant than the Altra.  It is heavier, however.

The Stealth Reporter 300 will fit horizontally, allowing access to the gear without pulling it out of the bag, in the sleeping bag compartment of a Deuter ACT lite 65 + 10 or an REI Crestrail 70.  If the 300 will hold the gear you need, you have more options.  Other inserts may fit as well.  I like the Altra suspension system better than the Deuter, but that has to do with how it fits and is an individual thing.  Haven't tried the REI pack.

The good thing about the Stealth Reporter is that you can put in the backpack and also have it to use as a nice camera bag when you aren't backpacking.

I didn't know about the F Stop stuff until after I bought the Altra.  I would like to try one of there packs as they look nice.  I may order one of there inserts to try in my Altra.

Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: Rob Reiter on July 06, 2011, 12:42:02 pm
Take a look at the ThinkTank line. I'm very pleased with my Rotation 360:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/rotation360-backpack.aspx
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: NicolasBelokurov on July 06, 2011, 02:33:15 pm
Interesting question.
I do extensive (up to 2-3 weeks far away from support) backpacking with 2 camera systems, tent, sleeping bag, and a lot of equipment and have yet to see a succesfull photobackpack design for the wilderness. The one that almost makes it there in my humble opinion is the large one from clikelite. Why almost? Because the harness system and the straps are not even close in comfort and load capacity to a real mountain/trekking backpack.
A lot of people would say: I don't need a huge backpack because my trekking is limited to 1 or 3 days, a basic photo backpack large enough to fit my camera and a couple of power bars should do the trick. Well, I'm totally opposed to that approach. I believe firmly in compact, solid survival kits even for shortest hikes.
Even for a day long trek, you'd need a first aid kit, an emergency blanket, an additional layer of cloth, food, etc. I'm not suggesting a huge 80 or 90 liters pack, but at least a solid 50-60 liters one with comfortable wide straps, great support system. For short treks I'd look for a mountain pack and use the sleeping back compartment for my equipment well packed in a padded photo bag and the main compartment for the trekking/camping equipment. I also carry a basic sleeping pad for every trek. It's extremely comfortable for composing close to the ground or for laying the equipment over it in wet grass or over snow. 
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: fike on July 07, 2011, 04:10:21 pm
Count me as another vote for a backpacking or hiking pack with lightweight photo bags inside.  I use an Osprey Atmos backpack--kind of a day and a half pack--and I put a Thinktank holster or urban disguise 3 inside the pack. 

I haven't found any camera bags that are good for anything serious like a five or ten miler in the wilderness.  I think the use case for most camera backpacks is between airport security and the gate.  As far as waist straps and shoulder straps, the camera bag manufacturers are at least ten years behind the hiking and backpacking companies. 

Earlier discussion here Large Photo Backpack (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=33590.0)

(http://www.trailpixie.net/temp-image/Pack-S-Dolly-Sods-30D-185-5143.jpg)
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: ChuckZ on July 10, 2011, 09:12:11 am
Thanks for the additional replies.  Plenty of backpacks to consider.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: Chairman Bill on July 10, 2011, 10:32:54 am
I've got a Lowe Pro pack for carrying loads of kit, but just a body & a couple of lenses & a tripod? I've got an old Camera Care Systems (CCS) pouch for the camera & lens, any other lens goes in a Lowe or CCS pouch, and tripod is strapped to the side of the sack (Crux A35 for day hikes, or Crux AK47 for winter mountaineering or longer, multi-day backpacking trips).
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: eleanorbrown on July 10, 2011, 11:11:35 am
Check out the Click Elite website...good selection of camera packs for active sports and hiking. Eleanor
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: ChuckZ on July 12, 2011, 11:43:16 am
I ordered the Clik Elite Venture30.  I'll post comments after I have a chance to use it on a couple hikes.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: MBMPhotography on July 15, 2011, 09:53:06 am
Do not hesitate and check FStop (http://fstopgear.com/). especially their Satori backpack. Great company fantastic approach to clients (from my personal experience)
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: haring on July 19, 2011, 01:59:45 pm
I am looking for a camera backpack that can hold my Nikon D300 with a 16-85mm lens together with a 70-300mm lens, water bottle, and Gitzo travel tripod that is comfortable on long hikes.  Currently, I have a Tamrac that has places for all my gear, but gives me a sore back after about five miles no matter how I adjust it.  I’m hoping that someone who also does hiking and photography can offer me some thoughts.  Thank you.

I have Tamrac and I love it. Get an expensive Tamrac and it will last for 40 years.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: ChuckZ on July 23, 2011, 10:19:14 pm
The Clik Elite Venture 30 that I ordered was delivered about a week ago and I've taken it on a couple short hikes.  Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase so far.  It is significantly more comfortable than my previous pack even tho it is a bit heavier.  The top compartment has plenty of room for a lunch,  jacket, etc.  While I found pockets to put my polarizer and extension tube into and a place for my spare battery and second memory card, I wish the pack had more internal pockets for additional accessories.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: BernardLanguillier on July 24, 2011, 09:32:49 am
I have found the Osprey Variant 37 to help improve the image quality of my photographs.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: SBP on July 25, 2011, 11:24:09 am



(http://www.trailpixie.net/temp-image/Pack-S-Dolly-Sods-30D-185-5143.jpg)

Carrying your tripod the whole time?

I did a 8 mile hike this weekend and just tied my Hakuba to the outside of my camelbak. I just use a large Camelbak which holds enough water, my survival kit, my 5d mkII with 16-35 and extra socks and shirt and a rain poncho. Pretty much all I need for a good day hike really.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: fike on July 25, 2011, 01:40:23 pm
I have space in the backpack for the tripod, but yes, I do carry it most of the time.  If I want to take a photo, the added hassle of removing the pack and rifling through for the pack is sometimes just enough disincentive to make me pass on a photo opportunity.

Honestly the simplest and most versatile advice I can give anyone who wants to do landscape photography (particularly woodland landscape photography) is to carry a tripod and use it. 

I've got a lot of money in that tripod...it is a lightweight Gitzo traveler with a Really Right Stuff panoramic head on top.  It is reasonably lightweight and the ballhead balances the tripod legs in my hand perfectly.

It can also, occasionally, be used as a walking stick to balance myself when rock-hopping across creeks.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: SBP on July 25, 2011, 02:12:03 pm
I agree but unfortunately I need my hands free when hiking where I hike here in AZ.

Also if you have to stop and take your camera out of your pack anyway, you might as well just grab your tripod while you're in there.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: fike on July 25, 2011, 04:19:38 pm
 ::)
The camera that usually hangs on my left shoulder is being used by my wife to take the picture.   ;D
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: SBP on July 25, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
::)
The camera that usually hangs on my left shoulder is being used by my wife to take the picture.   ;D

You have to be hiking some very leisurely trails to be able to carry a camera on your left shoulder and tripod in the right hand. This is pretty much just "walking". LOL

I think people were looking for suggestions for real hiking/backpacking.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: fike on July 25, 2011, 05:00:40 pm
You have to be hiking some very leisurely trails to be able to carry a camera on your left shoulder and tripod in the right hand. This is pretty much just "walking". LOL

I think people were looking for suggestions for real hiking/backpacking.

EASY TRAILS? You sure know how to push my buttons. :P >:( ???
(http://www.trailpixie.net/temp-image/eagle-ridge.jpg)
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: SBP on July 25, 2011, 06:31:51 pm
that Trail looks really pretty. I can see what you're saying. YES, you can definately carry your camera while hiking that. So pretty.

Ours are typically a bit more rocky and vertical and also wet as i focus mostly on rivers and streams around arizona and the Grand Canyon.

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2495/3801985081_aa1376e7f9.jpg)

(http://i.acdn.us/image/A8016/801670/300_801670.jpg)

(http://www.grandcanyonhavasupaihikers.com/webimages/grand_canyon_hiking_tours.jpg)

(http://philip.greenspun.com/photo/pcd2882/grand-canyon-havasupai-8.4.jpg)
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: SBP on July 25, 2011, 06:32:55 pm
Fike are you in Montana by chance? That looks a lot like Glacier National Park in your pic.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: fike on July 25, 2011, 07:17:06 pm
That pic is from Mount Rainier National Park.  I typically spend a lot of time photographing the deep wooded mountains of the West Virginia Highlands. 


My latest blog post shows some of the trails I frequent....surprisingly similar to your rugged photo above.
http://www.trailpixie.net/general/red_creek_trail.htm
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: SBP on July 25, 2011, 07:43:33 pm
beautiful
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: dwdallam on July 26, 2011, 11:16:23 pm
I have a Low Pro back pack with all the inserts that I've used probably one time. I'd gladly sell it to you. I just haven't had time or the motivation to try and sell it. I think it's the Super Trekker.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: mkuhns on July 27, 2011, 06:00:29 pm
I use a 40-50 liter pack from REI which works well. Can bring enough gear for 2-3 days in the Sierras and tripod/camera/filters. It's not light, but worth it.
I usually keep my camera in the top easy access pouch or stashed in the bear canister if it's rough going.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: kazantipman on July 30, 2011, 11:09:45 pm
fStop is a good site

my source to buy lenses: best canon lens (http://best-canon-lens.com)  or  best nikon lens (http://best-nikon-lens.com)
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: JohnKoerner on July 31, 2011, 05:08:05 pm
I have Tamrac and I love it. Get an expensive Tamrac and it will last for 40 years.


I am with you. I've had a fairly expensive Tamrac (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149853-REG/Tamrac_76701_767_Photo_Trail_Backpack.html) for 4 years now, and it looks the same as it did the day I got it (wear-wise), just soiled from heavy outdoor use. Yet even the soiling washes right off with a power hose, after which you can hang it dry. Not a single thread has come undone, at any of the sewn load-bearing points, and I tote A LOT of gear with it (tripod too).

As for the claim Tamracs make your back sore, I have found that "sore back" syndrome (at least with my Tamrac) invariably comes from "didn't use it right" practices. In other words, this pack has a waist strap ... and a chest strap ... and I have found that when I've had a lot of gear (but did not hook both the waist and the chest straps) it made me "stoop" more and consequently I would get a sore back.

However, when I take my time and use it properly (which means when I fasten the waist strap and the chest strap), it makes you stand upright, which greatly reduces the load, which is what these extra straps were designed to do.

IMO, the Tamrac is an excellent and exceptionally-rugged pack, and it is completely waterproof if it suddenly rains, which is a necessity in any photo pack in this Florida weather.

Jack


.
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: yoni on August 07, 2011, 10:46:21 pm
For hiking with a light setup, I like the lowepro flipside (I use the 100, 400 & special edition 500). I think the 200/300 should work for you.  Gear is accessible and they are quite comfortable. 

Yoni
www.lighttrace.com
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: duane_bolland on August 08, 2011, 08:16:45 pm
Do not hesitate and check FStop (http://fstopgear.com/). especially their Satori backpack. Great company fantastic approach to clients (from my personal experience)

I respectfully disagree. I've not seen an ounce of professionalism in all my interactions with them.  I had to get the credit card company involved to get them to refund my money after returning their lame product.  They remind me of a used-car dealer. 

For day hiking, I'm going with a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Backpack which looked great in the local store and gets rave reviews on B&H.  For backpacking, I put the camera in a ThinkTank Digital Holster 40, a second lens or two in a Lowepro lens pouch (not a fan of the TT version) and toss it all in my backpack.  Accessories go in another small pouch. 
Title: Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
Post by: duane_bolland on August 15, 2011, 10:59:51 am
Long story short, I finally scored a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Backpack and I love it.  Very comfortable.  Lots of capacity for camera gear and non-camera gear.  Several notable design improvements over the fstop: 1) The laptop case can be removed allowing the area to be used for something else 2) the water bladder storage area is on the side and not above the camera gear.  3) More flexible partitioning in the camera area  4) Easier access to everything. 

The Lowepro is also significantly more useful than the ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive which it is replacing.  My main gripe with the TT is that it had no storage for non-camera gear.  The camera area is about the same size between the two, but the Lowepro includes several extra storage pockets for non-camera gear. 

Note that this is not a setup for backpacking, but it is great for longer day hikes.