Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Kern on January 05, 2022, 06:17:39 pm
-
We don't get a lot of snow around these parts (Washington, D.C., area), and for several reasons—not just relating to the pandemic—I'm not wandering very far afield these days. But I didn't want one of our rare winter storms to go to waste earlier this week and I exploited it with a couple of abstracts:
Impatient for the Arrival of Spring
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51800057473_03e9823977_c_d.jpg)
Off the Grid
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51802291620_8e3869eba2_c_d.jpg)
I also indulged myself with a more conventional snap of the view through the windows of the main stairwell (https://www.flickr.com/photos/chriskernpix/51797072281/in/datetaken/) of our house in Rockville, Maryland.
-
Nice, both. I especially like "Impatient..."
-
Two great evocations of winter with the first one being my favorite…
Well done!
-
I like "impatient". It would make a killer basis for a wood block print too.
-
It would make a killer basis for a wood block print too.
Something like this, perhaps?
-
Neat!
-
Here's a monochrome version produced by transforming the image with a convolutional neural network (https://www.flickr.com/photos/chriskernpix/albums/72157705322226491), but I like my Photoshopped one better.
-
Something like this, perhaps?
More or less, yes :). The pattern and color usage reminded me of a local artist here in Austin that a friend of mine collects - Daryl Howard (https://www.darylhoward.com/gallery/woodblock-prints/)
-
Another great variant, Chris!
-
Another great variant, Chris!
I fear I'm becoming increasingly confused about which is the "real" image and which are the derivatives. Brave new (computational photography) world.
-
We don't get a lot of snow around these parts (Washington, D.C., area), and for several reasons—not just relating to the pandemic—I'm not wandering very far afield these days. But I didn't want one of our rare winter storms to go to waste earlier this week and I exploited it with a couple of abstracts:
Impatient for the Arrival of Spring
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51800057473_03e9823977_c_d.jpg)
Off the Grid
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51802291620_8e3869eba2_c_d.jpg)
I also indulged myself with a more conventional snap of the view through the windows of the main stairwell (https://www.flickr.com/photos/chriskernpix/51797072281/in/datetaken/) of our house in Rockville, Maryland.
I was overwhelmed by the first image.
Entranced by the second.
I soent my formative years in snow country in Mid Michigan,,but I can not remember a "snow image" as memorable coming to mind from the 20 years I spent there.
-
I fear I'm becoming increasingly confused about which is the "real" image and which are the derivatives. Brave new (computational photography) world.
The "real" image is the one that looks the most like Marilyn Monroe.
-
Very nice, especially the first. As a snow enthusiast and seasoned snow photographer I think you did very well. :)
-
Very nice, especially the first. As a snow enthusiast and seasoned snow photographer I think you did very well. :)
Wonderful snow images. Shows you take images anywhere, but you really have to look - as we so often say.
JR
-
. . . you take images anywhere, but you really have to look - as we so often say.
I gave cameras to two of my grandchildren when they were taking photography courses in high school. When they asked me what subjects to shoot, I told them (channeling Garry Winogrand) to take pictures of anything that caught their eye so they could figure out what things looked like when photographed.