Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: LesPalenik on April 15, 2021, 12:47:37 pm

Title: Reuters going behind paywall
Post by: LesPalenik on April 15, 2021, 12:47:37 pm
I've been quoting Reuters in many of my posts. I liked Reuters, but unfortunately, they will be soon charging for the access to their website. It looks like I'll have to switch soon to other sources.

Quote
The newly revamped Reuters.com is hoping to attract professional audiences prepared to pay $34.99 per month for a deeper level of coverage and data on industry verticals that include legal, sustainable business, healthcare and autos.

Reuters.com will remain free for a preview period, but will require users to register after five stories. It is not immediately clear when it will begin charging.
Title: Re: Reuters going behind paywall
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on April 15, 2021, 03:20:29 pm
I've been quoting Reuters in many of my posts. I liked Reuters, but unfortunately, they will be soon charging for the access to their website. It looks like I'll have to switch soon to other sources.

It's sad that this is going to happen, not unexpected, but sad nevertheless.
Title: Re: Reuters going behind paywall
Post by: PeterAit on April 16, 2021, 04:27:03 pm
It's sad that this is going to happen, not unexpected, but sad nevertheless.

$35 a month does seem steep, but it's true that many people have this notion that content on the web should be free or really cheap. That's not realistic. An online only news source does not have printing costs, but they still have to pay the reporters, editors, fact checkers, copy editors, etc etc.
Title: Re: Reuters going behind paywall
Post by: TechTalk on April 16, 2021, 04:50:11 pm
Reuters is an excellent and reputable source for news. In addition to the five free views per month they will offer, I'm hoping that news stories from them will still be showing up in other free sources of news.

Some paywall news services can still be read from a Google cached version of their stories like the Washington Post; others like the New York Times cannot be read that way.