Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Kiwi Paul on June 03, 2017, 02:44:16 am

Title: Quiraing
Post by: Kiwi Paul on June 03, 2017, 02:44:16 am
A view of the Quiraing in Isle of Skye, Scotland.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4197/34889648902_cdcbbfbda7_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Va5z5J)
Title: Re: Quiraing
Post by: Kevin Raber on June 03, 2017, 07:42:00 am
Nice image.  I have shot this location a number of times.  This could be a very dramatic image if you decrease your exposure a lot and then using curves bring up the mid tones and drop the highlights.  That will darken the sky and bring ground a lot.  I would consider doing a mask (layer) for the sky to darken the highlight.  All best accomplished on the RAW. 
Title: Re: Quiraing
Post by: Kiwi Paul on June 03, 2017, 08:09:19 am
Thanks for the comments Kevin, much appreciated.
Title: Re: Quiraing
Post by: RSL on June 03, 2017, 08:17:03 am
What Kevin said. :) But with limitations.
Title: Re: Quiraing
Post by: brandtb on June 03, 2017, 08:56:34 am
Nice image. I would look at the violet cast of the sky (at least on my color corrected monitor) which I think is a somewhat distracting and pulls the overall image down. I would look at it processed more toward the blue...as in Paines Gray...and with a bit more contrast. It will settle the image down and make it a little more cohesive.
Title: Re: Quiraing
Post by: Kiwi Paul on June 03, 2017, 09:27:53 am
Nice image. I would look at the violet cast of the sky (at least on my color corrected monitor) which I think is a somewhat distracting and pulls the overall image down. I would look at it processed more toward the blue...as in Paines Gray...and with a bit more contrast. It will settle the image down and make it a little more cohesive.

Good point about the colour balance, I changed the balance just to see and is does suit a lower level, raised the contrast a bit too.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4251/35070119335_865b713d8e_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Vr2wDV)
Title: Re: Quiraing
Post by: luxborealis on June 04, 2017, 05:38:14 pm
Paul,

I just had a look at your Flickr site and I think the Quirang photograph with the sheep in the foreground is a more compelling photograph.

Terry