Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: etto1972 on December 19, 2016, 02:05:25 pm

Title: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: etto1972 on December 19, 2016, 02:05:25 pm
As we all know Hasselblad, CEO told Kevin Rabar
that the camera started shipping to customers on December 12th
Do you guys heard anything?? Is it really shipping???
is this a little lie or perhaps one more innacurate date?

I am the stupid fellow which sold most of his gears in order to buy the X1D...I am now travelling around Europe with no serious camera in my hand
and with an horrible regretting feeling...
yes, maybe I should have wait before selling but you guys know that with the used market, timing is crucial to get the best possible price !

I am sorry for being so negative during the holiday season
but I am just depressed not knowing anything , loosing trust, ....especially considering that for the 4116 edition (which is the camera i ordered the very hour was on sale ) Hasselblad doesnt even give a date

Merry Christmas
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: ddanois on December 19, 2016, 09:31:58 pm
It looks like they shipped a couple of cameras to make good on the statement but there are no significant deliveries. I am among the top three at a major dealer and they report no camera deliveries as of today. Best estimate is mid-Jan to early Feb.

Beyond disappointing at this point but it looks a though we will be within the GFX delivery window by the time the X1D ships in any real significant numbers so we'll have choices and can vote our preference with our wallets!
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on December 20, 2016, 03:47:03 pm
Hasselblad's customers should have never been treated this way. What troubles me most is the lack of transparency by Perry Osting or a company representative. They need to be here, and updating these fine folks about what is going on, and when they can expect their orders to be fufilled. This is frickin' ridiculous.

No way to run a business...

Fuji is going to kick Hasselblad's ass in this market witht the GFX, because if there is one thing Fuji can do...it's EXECUTE.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on December 20, 2016, 06:10:37 pm
Hasselblad's customers should have never been treated this way. What troubles me most is the lack of transparency by Perry Osting or a company representative. They need to be here, and updating these fine folks about what is going on, and when they can expect their orders to be fufilled. This is frickin' ridiculous.

No way to run a business...

Fuji is going to kick Hasselblad's ass in this market witht the GFX, because if there is one thing Fuji can do...it's EXECUTE.

I don't think you are a Hasselblad customer yourself, so it's really WEIRD for you to be rushing to the defense of the real customers....getting all up in an arms about a camera you have no interest in. Hmmm. You wouldn't happen to be a loyal member of the Fuji fan club?
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: eronald on December 20, 2016, 06:43:13 pm
I don't think you are a Hasselblad customer yourself, so it's really WEIRD for you to be rushing to the defense of the real customers....getting all up in an arms about a camera you have no interest in. Hmmm. You wouldn't happen to be a loyal member of the Fuji fan club?

 There are now two new MF designs, which should be delivered to customers roughly at the same time. How lovely!

Edmund
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: mtakeda on December 20, 2016, 07:00:08 pm
I second the statement by Mr. Scharf 100%. I had preorder with them and was treated very poorly. They screwed up laughing badly and continue to screw up by keeping silence to their customers.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on December 20, 2016, 07:05:47 pm
There are now two new MF designs, which should be delivered to customers roughly at the same time. How lovely!

Edmund

Two potentially great choices. Each, in its own way, has features that may make one or the other compelling to a potential buyer. For many potential buyers, the size, weight, and design of the X1D body will trump things like a focal plane shutter and the ability to adapt third party lenses. Others will presumably feel differently. Available software choices may be a factor. Phocus v. Silkypix. Lens lineups, who knows. They will offer very different handling experiences. Some may like the GUI of the X1D, some may like the GUI of Japanese cameras. Hopefully, both Hasselblad and Fuji sell huge numbers of them so they can justify the future R&D for improving them over time.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on December 20, 2016, 08:52:10 pm
I have had an X1D on order for many months. I keep kicking the can down the road on various shoots I had planned to go with the system. Now it looks like we are into January and perhaps February. I, for one, will think long and hard should the Fuji GFX just show up and be available. My complaint, again, is that I believe that Hassleblad  said (one again) that they would ship and if they only sent a few out as a promissory note, that is not funny. Shipping to me means that B&H starts to ship to their customers and lets us know things are happening. Things are not happening to my knowledge. 
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on December 20, 2016, 09:52:26 pm
I have had an X1D on order for many months. I keep kicking the can down the road on various shoots I had planned to go with the system. Now it looks like we are into January and perhaps February. I, for one, will think long and hard should the Fuji GFX just show up and be available. My complaint, again, is that I believe that Hassleblad  said (one again) that they would ship and if they only sent a few out as a promissory note, that is not funny. Shipping to me means that B&H starts to ship to their customers and lets us know things are happening. Things are not happening to my knowledge.

I understand the frustration. However, even if the GFX shows up around the same time as the X1D, the X1D may still be by far and away the better the choice for you and your needs. These two cameras have very different strengths and weaknesses. Whatever your feelings about the delivery timetable on the X1D and the way Hasselblad has handled it, you should still be dispassionate and buy what works best for you. In my case, I just need to pick up and handle the X1D and compare it to the GFX. For what I want in a medium format system at this point, that tells me ALMOST everything.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on December 20, 2016, 09:55:15 pm
[quote author=mtakeda link=topic=115155.msg949620#msg949620 date=1482278408
 I had preorder with them and was treated very poorly. They screwed up laughing badly and continue to screw up by keeping silence to their customers.
[/quote]

Your "issues" appear to go way beyond a new camera that was delayed.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on December 20, 2016, 09:59:30 pm
I understand the frustration. However, even if the GFX shows up around the same time as the X1D, the X1D may still be by far and away the better the choice for you and your needs. These two cameras have very different strengths and weaknesses. Whatever your feelings about the delivery timetable on the X1D and the way Hasselblad has handled it, you should still be dispassionate and buy what works best for you. In my case, I just need to pick up and handle the X1D and compare it to the GFX. For what I want in a medium format system at this point, that tells me ALMOST everything.

My gut tells me I will really like the X1D, but that does not stop me from every once in a while sticking my head out the window and yelling "I can't take it anymore." LOL. I am clear that the GFX will do more and be more compatible, but not sure (right now) I want to do anything "more."
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: JeffS on December 20, 2016, 11:19:28 pm
FWIW, the Hasselblad CEO did formally apologize and has agreed to extend the X1D warranty 6 months for anyone who pre-ordered this year.  That won't help the haters, but not all companies are run by execs who step up and admit wrongs.

I'm in no rush (current gear still takes pictures) and will test the X1D, GFX and Leica SL in due time.  That will include shooting and making prints with my own workflow, then evaluating based on a long list of my own needs/preferences......not spite.

Jeff
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on December 21, 2016, 01:18:52 am
I don't think you are a Hasselblad customer yourself, so it's really WEIRD for you to be rushing to the defense of the real customers....getting all up in an arms about a camera you have no interest in. Hmmm. You wouldn't happen to be a loyal member of the Fuji fan club?

Doesn't matter if I am a Hasselblad customer or not. What matters is that I make my living teaching and facilitating teams in a business best practice known as  Voice of the Customer for product development for technology companies. My views and sensibilities expressed here are strictly from a professional perspective and are borne out of respect for Hasselblad's customers, and the respect and transparency that they should be showed by Hasselblad. So, no, it is not weird that I am rushing to the defense of customers. What I get up in arms about is companies that take advantage of or treat customers badly. From a professional perspective, Hasselblad over-promised and has, and continues to, under-deliver. This is unacceptable. To make matters worse, they have not been forthcoming, honest, or transparent about this in their communication with their customers.Timelines have continually slipped, and customers are not receiving the products they ordered in the time-frame Hasselblad stated they would and Hasselblad says nothing. They are exhibiting exactly the set of behaviors by that I teach that companies should not do in developing their products. Practicing Voice of the Customer means above all: 1) RESPECT FOR THE CUSTOMER; 2) listening to and honoring your customers needs as being valid, despite what the company may think internally 3) being honest and accountable in how you go about understanding and delivering on your promise to meet customer's needs and 4) following through on that implicit promise by delivering products that create quality and value. And in the process, they need to be transparent, open, and most importantly, *in touch* with their customers. Hasselblad has done none of this, at least not here. Where are they? Are they here? No, they are not.

Fuji on the other hand, embodies the best VOC principles, has a vigorous and robust VOC process for developing products that provide value and quality, and...continue to support their customers after the sale with a robust Kaizen approach to continuous improvement, continually striving to provide more and more quality and value to their customers that actually bought their products. They have, for example, released firmware updates on more than one occasion that increases the functionality of cameras that are discontinued and out of production, to continue to support their existing customers. They have acknowledged that they were under no obligation to do so for cameras that are out of production, but they have stated they did so because they wanted to and they knew it was the right thing to do. Name me another camera company that has done that as consistently as Fuji has.

Yes, I admire Fuji. They produce exceptional products that provide value and quality for customers. They continue to improve that quality by practicing Kaizen, one of the key principles of Shingo. They actually listen to customers, and more importantly, they ACT on what they hear to make their products better and better. They create a fully thought-through and meaningful product development strategy (contrast that to Sony, whose product strategy is a mish-mash at best), they publish lens roadmaps and most importantly, they follow through on them in the time frame that they say they would. Lastly, they actually do what they say they are going to do. None of which I have seen from Hasselblad regarding the X1D,  how it treats customers, or more importantly, how it is communicating with its customers who actually placed orders for the X1D.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on December 21, 2016, 08:03:16 am
Doesn't matter if I am a Hasselblad customer or not. What matters is that I make my living teaching and facilitating teams in a business best practice known as  Voice of the Customer for product development for technology companies. My views and sensibilities expressed here are strictly from a professional perspective and are borne out of respect for Hasselblad's customers, and the respect and transparency that they should be showed by Hasselblad. So, no, it is not weird that I am rushing to the defense of customers. What I get up in arms about is companies that take advantage of or treat customers badly. From a professional perspective, Hasselblad over-promised and has, and continues to, under-deliver. This is unacceptable. To make matters worse, they have not been forthcoming, honest, or transparent about this in their communication with their customers.Timelines have continually slipped, and customers are not receiving the products they ordered in the time-frame Hasselblad stated they would and Hasselblad says nothing. They are exhibiting exactly the set of behaviors by that I teach that companies should not do in developing their products. Practicing Voice of the Customer means above all: 1) RESPECT FOR THE CUSTOMER; 2) listening to and honoring your customers needs as being valid, despite what the company may think internally 3) being honest and accountable in how you go about understanding and delivering on your promise to meet customer's needs and 4) following through on that implicit promise by delivering products that create quality and value. And in the process, they need to be transparent, open, and most importantly, *in touch* with their customers. Hasselblad has done none of this, at least not here. Where are they? Are they here? No, they are not.

Fuji on the other hand, embodies the best VOC principles, has a vigorous and robust VOC process for developing products that provide value and quality, and...continue to support their customers after the sale with a robust Kaizen approach to continuous improvement, continually striving to provide more and more quality and value to their customers that actually bought their products. They have, for example, released firmware updates on more than one occasion that increases the functionality of cameras that are discontinued and out of production, to continue to support their existing customers. They have acknowledged that they were under no obligation to do so for cameras that are out of production, but they have stated they did so because they wanted to and they knew it was the right thing to do. Name me another camera company that has done that as consistently as Fuji has.

Yes, I admire Fuji. They produce exceptional products that provide value and quality for customers. They continue to improve that quality by practicing Kaizen, one of the key principles of Shingo. They actually listen to customers, and more importantly, they ACT on what they hear to make their products better and better. They create a fully thought-through and meaningful product development strategy (contrast that to Sony, whose product strategy is a mish-mash at best), they publish lens roadmaps and most importantly, they follow through on them in the time frame that they say they would. Lastly, they actually do what they say they are going to do. None of which I have seen from Hasselblad regarding the X1D,  how it treats customers, or more importantly, how it is communicating with its customers who actually placed orders for the X1D.

Thanks for confirming that you are a member of the Fuji fan club. Of course, you left out that you own Fuji cameras and have openly gushed about them here. Somehow I suspect that if Fuji had not also announced a camera that many see as directly competitive with Hasselblad's X1D, you wouldn't be involved here at all. This is the worst part of the internet. Fanboy wars. My interests here are much more pedestrian. I am interested in a great camera, and I care little about who makes it. I care even less about lecturing companies on the internet about their strengths and weaknesses, their successes and their failures, if I don't own and use their products and their actions have not directly affected me. Every person, every company, has a balance sheet of plusses and minuses. We all evaluate and prioritize them differently. Hasselblad and Fuji are two examples. You focused only on Hasselblad's missing a number of deadlines in shipping the X1D to customers. Fuji MAY very well deliver the GFX early in 2017, as promised. Good for Fuji. On the other hand, at the end of the day, there are other, far more important considerations to people who will actually use these cameras. The X1D is an absolutely beautifully designed camera. It is amazingly small and well crafted. Its form factor and user interface are truly ground breaking. By comparison, the Fuji GFX looks like a Model T Ford designed in the middle part of the last century. I give Hasselblad a failing grade for timely delivery of the X1D. I give them an A+ for product design. We will see about Fuji's grade on delivery schedules. On product design and innovation and user interface, I give them a C- or D.
As for Hasselblad failing to communicate with its customers who preordered the X1D, perhaps you missed Kevin Raber's interview with the CEO of Hasselblad here on LuLa last Monday, where the CEP personally apologized about the delays. That's far more than I am used to seeing from other CEOs in the camera industry. By contrast, I saw the interview with two guys from Fuji about the GFX. They were about as forthcoming as two guys at a police station who had just been read their Miranda rights. I learned nothing.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on December 21, 2016, 08:13:03 am
Fanboy = Anti-fanboy

To me, those of us who actually skin in the game are like a line of folks (in cold weather) waiting for the gates to open at a football game.  We are just kibitzing and trying to pass the time.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: eronald on December 21, 2016, 09:30:09 am
Well it's nice to see some movement in the MF system world again.

More new adopters and more systems will mean more announcements, better component supplies etc.

I'm not sure that the Sony chip supply is available yet, at least in quantity at a reasonable price,  after their earthquake issues their own camera release schedule seems skewed.

Edmund


Fanboy = Anti-fanboy

To me, those of us who actually skin in the game are like a line of folks (in cold weather) waiting for the gates to open at a football game.  We are just kibitzing and trying to pass the time.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: vampire on December 21, 2016, 10:37:23 am
Until Fuji gives an actual price, as in hard numbers, its hard to get too excited about that camera. It should not be that hard to figure out that information if you are far enough along in the development process to release in the spring. People are assuming that it will be released in Feb/March, but I still have seen any hard numbers for pricing. Hopefully they can get it out then, I'm all for having two great mirror less MF affordable solutions. But the pricing info would be helpful for people.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: TonyVentourisPhotography on December 21, 2016, 11:47:54 am
At the end of the day, if we actually have a use and need, we probably already have a tool that gets the job done.  If a new tool comes out, that is great.  And when it is ready, if it integrates into our work and improves or enhances our productivity or output, fantastic.  I don't think there is a product that is unreleased that prevents us from doing anything. 

All this talk about pre-orders, and late deliveries, and firmware updates, and this and that...makes me think a lot of people create photos on speculatory equipment. (if there was ever such a thing!)

Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 21, 2016, 03:07:04 pm
Hi Edmund,

Pentax 645Z, Hasselblad's 50 MP backs, IQ350 and IQ150 also uses the same sensor. I don't know about the sales of those systems.

My guess would be that the delay is mostly caused by firmware development issues and power/heat management.

Best regards
Erik

Well it's nice to see some movement in the MF system world again.

More new adopters and more systems will mean more announcements, better component supplies etc.

I'm not sure that the Sony chip supply is available yet, at least in quantity at a reasonable price,  after their earthquake issues their own camera release schedule seems skewed.

Edmund
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: chez on December 21, 2016, 08:06:53 pm
FWIW, the Hasselblad CEO did formally apologize and has agreed to extend the X1D warranty 6 months for anyone who pre-ordered this year.  That won't help the haters, but not all companies are run by execs who step up and admit wrongs.

I'm in no rush (current gear still takes pictures) and will test the X1D, GFX and Leica SL in due time.  That will include shooting and making prints with my own workflow, then evaluating based on a long list of my own needs/preferences......not spite.

Jeff

Excellent post. I can't believe one would pick up the GFX because the X1D is late. I would hope people are purchasing a full system for the future...
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: tcdeveau on December 23, 2016, 11:40:25 am
Someone on Instagram with the handle/username "goecker" just posted a picture of someone receiving an X1D and 45/90mm XCD lenses saying it's the worlds first x1d delivery. I hope everyone with a camera on order receives it soon!
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: agencal on December 23, 2016, 01:46:53 pm
I have got mine yesterday.Happy new year from Istanbul 😊
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on December 23, 2016, 05:16:51 pm
I have got mine yesterday.Happy new year from Istanbul 😊

Visual confirmation would be much appreciated!
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 23, 2016, 06:34:57 pm
Visual confirmation would be much appreciated!

It's nice to trust each others!

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: jduncan on December 24, 2016, 11:55:43 am
I have got mine yesterday.Happy new year from Istanbul 😊

Hi,

Here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOXRR34BRs0/?taken-by=goecker&hl=en
And here is the photographer's one :  https://www.instagram.com/ulrika_g_/?hl=en

Best regards, 
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Lust4Life on December 25, 2016, 06:39:45 pm
As a long time shooter of Landscapes with numerous cameras and formats, from Hassie 500 to Cambo to Leaf and then Hassie all the way back to the H1, I am seduced by the PROMISE of a MF that is dramatically lighter than my current H5-50c WiFi with the 28 and 100 mm lenses.  Having crested 70 years old, the weight of the camera bag has become an issue that can be a major component in the choice I make for my camera.  The X1D with the 30 and 90 will reduce my camera bag weight by nearly 5 pounds!!  That is huge  for any of us with age or health issues as part of our agenda that do not want to pass on the 16 bit color depth and all of the other advantages of MF at a substantial reduced weight. 

I for one placed my order as soon as the camera intro was made.  I am not going to depart from my order that is placed BUT I will admit that I am disgusted by their handling of this product delivery to the market.  When you screw up, admit it, as they did just recently (about 4 mouths late) with the carrot of extra warranty term.  But what I was looking for were absolute reasons why the delay!  I don't want to hear excuses and just the "taking of blame", but I want to know REASONS for the failure so I can have confidence in the camera when it finally arrives at my doorstep from FedX!

But folks, what really worries me is WHY have they screwed up so dramatically??

IF this is the new paradigm for Hassie's product introductions, what will the axiom for their product delivered reliability be?
Will this be a classic case of the customer being the frustrated "alpha tester" of a product that they did not expend the funds to put a hundred/s of them in the hands of heavy users to build a "bullet proof" firmware base for the initial product release?

And yes, what the Hell is the President of USA doing to not have one of his manager monitoring this, and other, threads and posting real time input for all of us to digest? 

As a chap that developed software on the SGI platform for 12 years, I had programmers that did noting but TRY to break our code!
Thus, when I released a product or an upgrade, rare was there an issue found by one of my customers!  And as the "Face" to our product line, I delivered on time OR my customers had constant and frequent direct updates from me!

Summary:
Horrible product introduction with nothing given to the buyers in the queue that have put down their deposit or establish the belief that Hassie management has all under control.
Wake up Hassie!

So, wake up Hassie USA and get someone covering your market image!  The truth and open transparency is far better than leaving us with a vacuum to ponder why did I put down a $3K deposit on a camera last fall that I have no real clue about delivery date, or what has been the true reason, or multiple reasons, for what is a multi month failure to produce the promised product.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on December 25, 2016, 07:10:06 pm

Summary:
Horrible product introduction with nothing given to the buyers in the queue that have put down their deposit or establish the belief that Hassie management has all under control.

Wake up Hassie!

So, wake up Hassie USA and get someone covering your market image!  The truth and open transparency is far better than leaving us with a vacuum to ponder why did I put down a $3K deposit on a camera last fall that I have no real clue about delivery date, or what has been the true reason, or multiple reasons, for what is a multi month failure to produce the promised product.

Hear! Hear!

I am in the same boat, but have kind of resigned myself by now.  A couple of photo trips are now cancelled for this winter. I have gotten past the urgency feeling and am paying less attention to the news, updates, reviews, etc. for the X1D. And one reaction that I felt was that if Nikon came out with a 54 MPx camera with perhaps a tricked-out sensor, I might cancel the X1D and just go for that. After all, I have all the right lenses, without having to pay a cent. Or..... if the Fuji GFX roared out and was much acclaimed, i might just go for that, because the GFX is more a continuation of my camera style, while the X1D was an excursion into new waters, etc. So, I am whiling away the time like all the rest of us who purchased the X1D.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on December 26, 2016, 01:24:30 am

But folks, what really worries me is WHY have they screwed up so dramatically??

If I were to put my Six Sigma Black Belt hat on, and hazard a guess, its a combination of things from a marketing/production/manufacturing perspective:
IF this is the new paradigm for Hassie's product introductions, what will the axiom for their product delivered reliability be?
Will this be a classic case of the customer being the frustrated "alpha tester" of a product that they did not expend the funds to put a hundred/s of them in the hands of heavy users to build a "bullet proof" firmware base for the initial product release?

And yes, what the Hell is the President of USA doing to not have one of his manager monitoring this, and other, threads and posting real time input for all of us to digest? 

As a chap that developed software on the SGI platform for 12 years, I had programmers that did noting but TRY to break our code!
Thus, when I released a product or an upgrade, rare was there an issue found by one of my customers!  And as the "Face" to our product line, I delivered on time OR my customers had constant and frequent direct updates from me!

Summary:
Horrible product introduction with nothing given to the buyers in the queue that have put down their deposit or establish the belief that Hassie management has all under control.
Wake up Hassie!

So, wake up Hassie USA and get someone covering your market image!  The truth and open transparency is far better than leaving us with a vacuum to ponder why did I put down a $3K deposit on a camera last fall that I have no real clue about delivery date, or what has been the true reason, or multiple reasons, for what is a multi month failure to produce the promised product.

Agreed. Exactly my point in my post on the previous page.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on December 26, 2016, 01:41:53 am
Thanks for confirming that you are a member of the Fuji fan club. Of course, you left out that you own Fuji cameras and have openly gushed about them here. Somehow I suspect that if Fuji had not also announced a camera that many see as directly competitive with Hasselblad's X1D, you wouldn't be involved here at all. This is the worst part of the internet. Fanboy wars. My interests here are much more pedestrian. I am interested in a great camera, and I care little about who makes it. I care even less about lecturing companies on the internet about their strengths and weaknesses, their successes and their failures, if I don't own and use their products and their actions have not directly affected me. Every person, every company, has a balance sheet of plusses and minuses. We all evaluate and prioritize them differently. Hasselblad and Fuji are two examples. You focused only on Hasselblad's missing a number of deadlines in shipping the X1D to customers. Fuji MAY very well deliver the GFX early in 2017, as promised. Good for Fuji. On the other hand, at the end of the day, there are other, far more important considerations to people who will actually use these cameras. The X1D is an absolutely beautifully designed camera. It is amazingly small and well crafted. Its form factor and user interface are truly ground breaking. By comparison, the Fuji GFX looks like a Model T Ford designed in the middle part of the last century. I give Hasselblad a failing grade for timely delivery of the X1D. I give them an A+ for product design. We will see about Fuji's grade on delivery schedules. On product design and innovation and user interface, I give them a C- or D.
As for Hasselblad failing to communicate with its customers who preordered the X1D, perhaps you missed Kevin Raber's interview with the CEO of Hasselblad here on LuLa last Monday, where the CEP personally apologized about the delays. That's far more than I am used to seeing from other CEOs in the camera industry. By contrast, I saw the interview with two guys from Fuji about the GFX. They were about as forthcoming as two guys at a police station who had just been read their Miranda rights. I learned nothing.

What camera I brand I shoot with with has nothing to do with the validity or accuracy of my comments or the concerns expressed by others here. Nor does it absolve Hasselblad from its responsibility to it's customers.  Moreover, the industrial design features of the Fuji GFX vs X1D have virtually nothing to with the issue being discussed, which is the unacceptable manner that Hasselblad has handled this matter; or more to point, how they've treated their customers. Their lack of communication and transparency is irresponsible and unprofessional for their customers who have placed orders back in July, August, etc, and...are still waiting.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 26, 2016, 02:49:10 am
If I were to put my Six Sigma Black Belt hat on, and hazard a guess, its a combination of things from a marketing/production/manufacturing perspective:
  • Hasselblad acknowledged their "demand forecasting" was completey inaccurate. This very likely impacted lead time for availablity of parts from their parts vendors: sensor, subassemblies, chassis, metalwork, circuit boards, optics, etc., etc.
  • Hasselblad did not have the manufacturing/production process developed and validated to be able to scale to meet demand
  • Hasselblad did not have the manufacturing/production process developed and more importantly, validated to support high yield rates for critical components or subassemblies (e.g. the sensor). What we call in manufacturing operations, first-pass success rate. This may in no small part be due to the QC standards for the sensor, for example.
  • Their production process is not LEAN. My guess is they are using batch-and-queue manufacturing and hand-assembly. Batch and queue manufacturing is not only (really) slow, but it hides defects in WIP (work in progress) and inventory. Think Ford and GM auto mfg in the 60s/70s.
  • The defects hidden in WIP and inventory may mean a poor yield/first pass success rate/first time right rate in final QC; this results in another form of waste (muda): rework and retest, which again, slows down production and impacts delivery, namely, backorder.
Agreed. Exactly my point in my post on the previous page.

There may be all that, but we have ample evidence that the key bottle neck was firmware readiness.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 26, 2016, 03:19:25 am
Hi,

I am a bit surprised at the excuses… It would be natural that Hasselblad would sell as many camera as possible. Developing a camera system without the production capability to deliver to market doesn't make any sense.

Nice to hear that you have been working with SGI. We are still using two SGI Origin 350s for our simulators where I work. One of those will be replaced with a non SGI Linux system in a week, the other one will be around for the next year.

Working in software I think that you are familiar with things taking more time than expected. My guess is that real issue Hasselblad has firmware related. Dealer samples often had less than fully functional firmware.

I would also guess that they have issues with power and heat management. So I guess management has taken a overly optimistic view on development schedule.

Another factor may be sensor availability. If access to sensors is limited it may be that they preferred to ship H-systems than X1D-s. But it is quite obvious that firmware was not ready, so they couldn't ship anyway.

Hope you get your X1D really soon now!

Kind regards
Erik

As a long time shooter of Landscapes with numerous cameras and formats, from Hassie 500 to Cambo to Leaf and then Hassie all the way back to the H1, I am seduced by the PROMISE of a MF that is dramatically lighter than my current H5-50c WiFi with the 28 and 100 mm lenses.  Having crested 70 years old, the weight of the camera bag has become an issue that can be a major component in the choice I make for my camera.  The X1D with the 30 and 90 will reduce my camera bag weight by nearly 5 pounds!!  That is huge  for any of us with age or health issues as part of our agenda that do not want to pass on the 16 bit color depth and all of the other advantages of MF at a substantial reduced weight. 

I for one placed my order as soon as the camera intro was made.  I am not going to depart from my order that is placed BUT I will admit that I am disgusted by their handling of this product delivery to the market.  When you screw up, admit it, as they did just recently (about 4 mouths late) with the carrot of extra warranty term.  But what I was looking for were absolute reasons why the delay!  I don't want to hear excuses and just the "taking of blame", but I want to know REASONS for the failure so I can have confidence in the camera when it finally arrives at my doorstep from FedX!

But folks, what really worries me is WHY have they screwed up so dramatically??

IF this is the new paradigm for Hassie's product introductions, what will the axiom for their product delivered reliability be?
Will this be a classic case of the customer being the frustrated "alpha tester" of a product that they did not expend the funds to put a hundred/s of them in the hands of heavy users to build a "bullet proof" firmware base for the initial product release?

And yes, what the Hell is the President of USA doing to not have one of his manager monitoring this, and other, threads and posting real time input for all of us to digest? 

As a chap that developed software on the SGI platform for 12 years, I had programmers that did noting but TRY to break our code!
Thus, when I released a product or an upgrade, rare was there an issue found by one of my customers!  And as the "Face" to our product line, I delivered on time OR my customers had constant and frequent direct updates from me!

Summary:
Horrible product introduction with nothing given to the buyers in the queue that have put down their deposit or establish the belief that Hassie management has all under control.
Wake up Hassie!

So, wake up Hassie USA and get someone covering your market image!  The truth and open transparency is far better than leaving us with a vacuum to ponder why did I put down a $3K deposit on a camera last fall that I have no real clue about delivery date, or what has been the true reason, or multiple reasons, for what is a multi month failure to produce the promised product.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Lust4Life on December 26, 2016, 09:38:42 am
"Nice to hear that you have been working with SGI. We are still using two SGI Origin 350s for our simulators where I work. One of those will be replaced with a non SGI Linux system in a week, the other one will be around for the next year."

Hi Erik,

I worked with SGI back in the days where they and their sister company Cray were the Worlds Super Computers.  What a great time in my life, the most fun I ever had from an intellectual perspective!  But I saw the fall of SGI coming, bitched at management for the last couple of years but always on deaf ears.  I dropped out 22 years ago to enjoy life so I am not current with them. 

I must admit that with all of the tech industries  recent failures in providing a solid product to their customer base, I believe the focus is even more centered today on making a quick buck and not being focused on the long term relationship with your customer base that generates your financial lifeline!  So many examples of this in the last three years alone.  And I am very disappointed with even Apple - Jobs must be rolling in the grave with how many failures they have had in their OS and in my mind lack of really cool innovations in the last 5 years that are not surprised by competitive firms.  To my mind, Apple is floating on a cult customer "faith" and no longer leading in the development side.  (OK folks, I don't want to get a verbal range war started here, just a 70 year old Nerd venting so take it as hot air and leave it as is!  Same premise for my disgust with our younger generations math and science skills level of achievement - 28th in the World last time I looked)  :-)

In short, my point is, our Nations business foundation must get back to the axiom of "the customer if first".  We have become a society of "ME" as the most important element in all equations:  business, personal, etc. 

All of the "institutional/academic" reasons defined a few post back could well be valid BUT NONE were not able to be foreseen by a top quality management team that is focused on performance as a first flight quality source for digital imaging!  This I find inexcusable and the signs of faulty leadership within Hassie.  Yup, I had high hopes when the product was announced based on the fact they saw a serious need and way to "pump up" the use of MF.  At the time of the announcement, I did ponder "now that they have recognized the need, presented a facade to meet the need, will they succeed in providing it?"

Much to my disappointment, they have manifested the perfect definition that text books and business classed of the future can use to define "FAILURE" in meeting the promise!!

Well, there is my Monday morning rant and my concern expressed with the state of the Global Business current philosophical foundation of how to run a business. 
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: sgilbert on December 26, 2016, 10:28:09 am
"Really shipping" suggests an ongoing process.  One woman getting a camera from one dealer isn't really shipping. 

They don't have cameras for sale, just pre-order. 
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on December 26, 2016, 10:31:53 am
What camera I brand I shoot with with has nothing to do with the validity or accuracy of my comments or the concerns expressed by others here. Nor does it absolve Hasselblad from its responsibility to it's customers.  Moreover, the industrial design features of the Fuji GFX vs X1D have virtually nothing to with the issue being discussed, which is the unacceptable manner that Hasselblad has handled this matter; or more to point, how they've treated their customers. Their lack of communication and transparency is irresponsible and unprofessional for their customers who have placed orders back in July, August, etc, and...are still waiting.

It's your self righteous indignation and total lack of proportionality about Hasselblad that I find objectionable, because that IS motivated by your brand loyalty to Fuji (which just coincidentally happens to be introducing a competitor to the X1D). Leica had a delay of about a year in the delivery of the S 007. I don't recall any mea culpa from Leica. Did you jump on the soapbox and excoriate Leica? Perhaps I missed it. Did I excoriate Leica? Of course not. I wasn't a customer, so what the hell did I care?
There are an awful lot of actual customers of Hasselblad out there who preordered an X1D. You aren't one of them. I am one of them. I had a 13 day trip to Iceland planned for Mid September and expected to take the X1D. Obviously, it did not arrive. Same with photo trips around New England in October and December. What was my reaction? Anger? Of course not. I was very disappointed, but I just don't take it personally. I was not in any way "offended." I know Hasselblad cares way more deeply about shipping the X1Ds ASAP than I want/need one. In fact, after schlepping my Hasseblad H2/Phase IQ180 and lenses around Iceland and having them both fail in the elements, my interest in the X1D has only been reinforced, despite the delays. For now, I have other really good cameras to use. The X1D will get here in due course. I just hope it fulfills its promise. Anyone who actually cares about the health of the medium format digital market should also be rooting for Hasselblad, even if they don't plan on buying an X1D.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on December 26, 2016, 11:45:32 am
There may be all that, but we have ample evidence that the key bottle neck was firmware readiness.

Cheers,
Bernard

Firmware is essentially the same thing, Bernard. Firmware can be thought  of, from a manufacturing sense, as a component. Which indicates to me either: 1) they couln't create the functionality required for the firmware in the time-frame required (a lead time problem from a LEAN perspective) or 2) quality defects (bugs are software defects), or both. Both resulting in not having a process validated for production or able to scale for production. Any or all of these would impact product manufacturing cycle time, which leads to backorder or delays in shipping.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on December 26, 2016, 11:58:12 am
It's your self righteous indignation and total lack of proportionality about Hasselblad that I find objectionable, because that IS motivated by your brand loyalty to Fuji (which just coincidentally happens to be introducing a competitor to the X1D).

No, it's not motivated by my loyalty to any brand (FWIW, I also shoot with Canon and Olympus). My comments here were made out of respect for the customer from the perspective of a VOC  and product development professional. Or in this case, the lack of respect from Hasselblad.

Leica had a delay of about a year in the delivery of the S 007. I don't recall any mea culpa from Leica.
Well, there should have been a mea culpa from them, too. I did make a number of comments here when the first Leica digital M8 came out with the color moire problem and Michael Reichmann "covered it up" by observing it, but not discussing it in his initial review, for which he later had to apologize.

There are an awful lot of actual customers of Hasselblad out there who preordered an X1D. You aren't one of them. I am one of them.
Whether I am a customer or not does not infringe my right to post my views here from a professional perspective about how Hasselblad is handling this situation, or treating it's customers, which is very poorly. I didn't have to be a Volkswagen customer to be troubled about how Volkswagen deceived its customers or the Federal Government or the EPA with respect to its emissions scandal.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on December 26, 2016, 01:53:33 pm
Whether I am a customer or not does not infringe my right to post my views here from a professional perspective about how Hasselblad is handling this situation, or treating it's customers, which is very poorly. I didn't have to be a Volkswagen customer to be troubled about how Volkswagen deceived its customers or the Federal Government or the EPA with respect to its emissions scandal.

The more you post in your self anointed role as the defender of Hasselblad customers, of which you are not even one, the more ludicrous your feigned indignation becomes. I mean, seriously, comparing delays in the delivery of the X1D with a multi-billion dollar fraud on Volkswagen's customers and the US EPA is just shameful hyperbole. Do us all a favor: let the real Hasselblad customers fend for themselves.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 26, 2016, 04:42:53 pm
Firmware is essentially the same thing, Bernard. Firmware can be thought  of, from a manufacturing sense, as a component. Which indicates to me either: 1) they couln't create the functionality required for the firmware in the time-frame required (a lead time problem from a LEAN perspective) or 2) quality defects (bugs are software defects), or both. Both resulting in not having a process validated for production or able to scale for production. Any or all of these would impact product manufacturing cycle time, which leads to backorder or delays in shipping.

No, it is very different.

The ironing out of software defects is essentially part of software design.

Once this is done there is zero cost to manufacture software nor possible time delays.

Once the firmware is ready there is zero concern about the ability of Hasselblad to produce millions of cameras a day with the same perfectly working firmware.

The same cannot be said of physical bodies.

But I would agree with others, why do you care?

My view is the following. The current issue with Hassy is not fundamentally a reduction of their technical abilities, it is a dramatic increase of their ambition under a new leadership. Perry has decided to use external pressure from customers to put pressure on his team to deliver faster a great product to the market.

He isn't the first CEO to play this card.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: BobShaw on December 26, 2016, 04:49:16 pm
I haven't ordered an X1D but I have been a Hasselblad user for several years now. The colour quality I get from my old Hasselblad H3DII is far above the quality I get from my brand new Canon. That is probably due to the individual attention that each camera gets. These are not production line cameras for the mass market consumer that you just "ramp up". I have heard that it is a software issue but in any case I think most Hasselblad users would rather wait then get something just "pushed out" to meet the demands of keyboard warriors.

Unfortunately the world is such that most manufacturers test their products on the consumers but I would rather they get it right first.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on December 26, 2016, 06:42:56 pm
No, it is very different.

The ironing out of software defects is essentially part of software design.

Once this is done there is zero cost to manufacture software nor possible time delays.

Once the firmware is ready there is zero concern about the ability of Hasselblad to produce millions of cameras a day with the same perfectly working firmware.

The same cannot be said of physical bodies.

But I would agree with others, why do you care?

My view is the following. The current issue with Hassy is not fundamentally a reduction of their technical abilities, it is a dramatic increase of their ambition under a new leadership. Perry has decided to use external pressure from customers to put pressure on his team to deliver faster a great product to the market.

He isn't the first CEO to play this card.

Cheers,
Bernard
My "concern", Bernard, is a strictly professional one. I care about customers, and teach technology companies how to care about them too (that's my job, literally). I understand that companies can have issues scaling production to meet demand for what appears to be a much-sought-after product. My main point is the Hassy should be communicating with their customers, and they should be here on LuLa as well as elsewhere letting their customers know what is going on.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: gasol on January 02, 2017, 11:06:27 am
Hasselblad was bought by a PE Company some years ago. https://www.engadget.com/2011/07/05/hasselblad-acquired-by-ventizz-capital-fund-will-explore-brand/  My best guess is that the choice of products they launched a few years ago, and the timing of when to start taking orders for the new X1D, was decissions made by the investment people in the PE fund, and not by the tech people at Hasselblad.
Ventizz bought it in 2011, which indicates that the specific fund that bought it soon needs to sell Hasselblad to someone else in order to return the money to their investors. They managed to divest a minority interest late 2015, http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/5/9674514/dji-hasselblad-acquisition-drones-cameras , which explains why Hasselblad suddenly provides (at least the brand for) a drone camera.
There is so much more to business than the needs and preferences of people taking pictures.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: vampire on January 02, 2017, 09:08:56 pm
Sure the investors always want to make money, but I think the the timing was more to get ahead of the Fuji release and I really think that Hasselblad did not anticipate the delay that they are experiencing now. I think they want the camera to be perfect before releasing it to customers and judging from the demo I used this weekend, they are close to that. Included in the lens box that B&H is shipping (even before the cameras are shipping) there is a slip of paper that says you get an additional year of warranty if you register your lens with your camera prior to December 31st. So they clearly anticipated shipping the cameras before the end of the year. Hopefully they will start getting into customers hands soon!
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Graham Welland on January 03, 2017, 07:15:55 am
Show me just one legitimate delivery to prove that this isn't a shill scenario. Just one ... genuine non dealer or H ambassador.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Christopher on January 03, 2017, 05:58:09 pm
See getdpi from BH


Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: ddanois on January 03, 2017, 09:46:14 pm
Show me just one legitimate delivery to prove that this isn't a shill scenario. Just one ... genuine non dealer or H ambassador.

I can assure you that I'm no shill for Hasselblad and I received my shipping confirmation notice today from B&H today. My X1D is now with UPS and is scheduled to arrive Wednesday by noon EST.

I'm sure it's not many but they are in fact shipping to end user customers.

Derek
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 04, 2017, 03:01:33 am
I spoke with B&H yesterday and went into the components of my X1D order. What they told me is that they have the 45mm and 90mm lenses, but the camera, batteries, and charger are not in and they have no idea when they will be.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: JKevinScott on January 04, 2017, 08:17:36 am
I spoke with B&H yesterday and went into the components of my X1D order. What they told me is that they have the 45mm and 90mm lenses, but the camera, batteries, and charger are not in and they have no idea when they will be.

I'm happy for folks who are getting their cameras (and for their eBay arbitrage opportunity), but I'm not sure that makes the waiting game any better for other folks.   :)
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hasselbladfan on January 09, 2017, 09:39:39 am
This morning I got an email from Hasselblad if I wanted to demo the X1D.

I told them already that in July, but they seem to have forgotten.

Must mean that some cameras are coming out of the pipeline.

There is hope ........
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 09, 2017, 11:28:18 pm
It probably means they are not happy with 30000 preorders they cannot fulfil...

Best regards
Erik

This morning I got an email from Hasselblad if I wanted to demo the X1D.

I told them already that in July, but they seem to have forgotten.

Must mean that some cameras are coming out of the pipeline.

There is hope ........
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: jvpictures on January 11, 2017, 05:09:19 pm
Yes it is (regarding the original thread title)!
I got mine production version today together with the 45mm lens. First in my area and third in the world (first is true and the latter is not for sure, but doesn't really matter though....).

Just some quick additional infos:

1. selection of various focus points works well by the front and back wheel when in focus point selection modus (after pressing the top camera located focus button for little longer than a second or so). One can do this with looking at the live view LCD and also by touching the targeted focus point directly on the LCD. Moreover, the selection with front/back wheel (normally for aperture and shutter selection) is also possible when looking through the viewfinder, meaning that one can do the changes without having to take the eye away from the viewfinder. Quite nice IMO or actually rather brilliant!

2. When looking at the live view LCD and manual focusing (rotating the lens jut a little) the LCD goes immediately to 100% for accurate focus acquisition and goes back to normal full view when stopping rotating the lens. Really smart feature, bravo Hasselblad! This feature can be put On or Off in the menu.

That's all for now, she is charging....
(sorry, only iPhone night images, too lazy now....)

(http://jvpictures.com/share/1.JPG)
(http://jvpictures.com/share/2.JPG)
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 11, 2017, 06:47:06 pm
Yes it is (regarding the original thread title)!
I got mine production version today together with the 45mm lens. First in my area and third in the world (first is true and the latter is not for sure, but doesn't really matter though....).

Just some quick additional infos:

1. selection of various focus points works well by the front and back wheel when in focus point selection modus (after pressing the top camera located focus button for little longer than a second or so). One can do this with looking at the live view LCD and also by touching the targeted focus point directly on the LCD. Moreover, the selection with front/back wheel (normally for aperture and shutter selection) is also possible when looking through the viewfinder, meaning that one can do the changes without having to take the eye away from the viewfinder. Quite nice IMO or actually rather brilliant!

2. When looking at the live view LCD and manual focusing (rotating the lens jut a little) the LCD goes immediately to 100% for accurate focus acquisition and goes back to normal full view when stopping rotating the lens. Really smart feature, bravo Hasselblad! This feature can be put On or Off in the menu.

That's all for now, she is charging....
(sorry, only iPhone night images, too lazy now....)

(http://jvpictures.com/share/1.JPG)
(http://jvpictures.com/share/2.JPG)

Congratulations! Where do you live?

I still have heard nothing.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Lust4Life on January 11, 2017, 07:46:09 pm
I checked with my dealer in FL today and he has not received ANY cameras yet.
Orders were placed promptly upon press release of the camera.

jb
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on January 11, 2017, 09:28:29 pm
I checked with my dealer in FL today and he has not received ANY cameras yet.
Orders were placed promptly upon press release of the camera.

jb

Strange. None of the dealers in the US have received any shipments. One camera was shipped from B&H but the speculation is that was a dealer demo.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Wayne Fox on January 11, 2017, 09:32:43 pm
2. When looking at the live view LCD and manual focusing (rotating the lens jut a little) the LCD goes immediately to 100% for accurate focus acquisition and goes back to normal full view when stopping rotating the lens. Really smart feature, bravo Hasselblad! This feature can be put On or Off in the menu.
Looking forward to hearing more and seeing some images.

That is a nice feature, important for a mirrorless with live view focusing in manual mode. I think it's pretty standard on most mirrorless cameras now as long as you are using a lens designed for the body.  I know I've had it on my Sony's for a long time, it really works well. 
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: jvpictures on January 12, 2017, 03:25:51 am
Congratulations! Where do you live?

I still have heard nothing.
Switzerland. But it is cold over here these days.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Chris Livsey on January 12, 2017, 03:27:13 am
The strap goes on my want list  ;)

Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: jvpictures on January 12, 2017, 06:11:06 am
The strap goes on my want list  ;)

https://www.eddycam.com/de/shop/
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on January 12, 2017, 03:04:41 pm
Congratulations! Where do you live?

I still have heard nothing.

Mid-January 2107 and from all appearances, three cameras have shipped, and none in North America. Man, I feel for those folks that placed their orders back in July and are still waiting....(some of whom sold their gear to pay for the X1D).
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 12, 2017, 03:13:28 pm
Mid-January 2107 and from all appearances, three cameras have shipped, and none in North America. Man, I feel for those folks that placed their orders back in July and are still waiting....(some of whom sold their gear to pay for the X1D).

That would be me. I sold many lenses to raise the money, which I have, for the X1D system, so I am beyond eager. I have ceased to struggle and moan about Hasselblad's lack of communication. I wait, but I also actively am studying the specs of the Fuji GFX camera. It also has a lot to like, including Fuji's track record of excellence, even providing Hasselblad with lenses, etc.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 12, 2017, 04:09:06 pm
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for comment. On my A7rII the focus magnification goes to 5.5 when I rotate the focusing ring. I feel that 5.5 is pretty useless, 11X is much more usable. So I really hate that feature…

Have you found a way to invoke 11X magnification as default?

Best regards
Erik


That is a nice feature, important for a mirrorless with live view focusing in manual mode. I think it's pretty standard on most mirrorless cameras now as long as you are using a lens designed for the body.  I know I've had it on my Sony's for a long time, it really works well.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Joseph Colson on January 12, 2017, 05:54:25 pm
Mid-January 2107 and from all appearances, three cameras have shipped, and none in North America. Man, I feel for those folks that placed their orders back in July and are still waiting....(some of whom sold their gear to pay for the X1D).

That would be me, too. Sold.my 645Z kit and several lenses from the a7RII kit. Pre-ordered the X1D and two lenses on June 23. Still waiting.  >:(
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: garyhill on January 12, 2017, 07:48:10 pm
Noticed a retailer here in Australia update their website today indicating that they now have the X1D in stock available for sale.

Cheers,

Gary
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on January 12, 2017, 10:54:13 pm
Mid-January 2107 and from all appearances, three cameras have shipped, and none in North America. Man, I feel for those folks that placed their orders back in July and are still waiting....(some of whom sold their gear to pay for the X1D).

Glad to see that you weren't so busy breathlessly reporting about the Fuji GFX announcement that you didn't have the time to stop back in here to take another swipe at Hasselblad.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Wayne Fox on January 13, 2017, 12:47:02 am
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for comment. On my A7rII the focus magnification goes to 5.5 when I rotate the focusing ring. I feel that 5.5 is pretty useless, 11X is much more usable. So I really hate that feature…

Have you found a way to invoke 11X magnification as default?

Best regards
Erik
I seem to manage OK never really noticed.  But then when I use the sony lenses, I pretty much find the autofocus works fine.  My main lenses are Zeiss lenses with a Nikon adaptor, so those I have to zoom for focusing with the button press. No big deal, sort of like it better because I can control when it zooms in.

I'm not sure why sony does it the way they chose to limit the zoom,  I think the olympus is 10x zoom.  I've never tested a Fuji (they protect the big camera store in town and won't let me sell their cameras) so not sure how they work.

glad to hear Hasselblad put it in and did it right.  Not planning on one right now, but if they put a 75mp sensor in that thing I'd definitely be taking a hard look at one.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Stephen Scharf on January 14, 2017, 11:35:36 pm
Some interesting and thoughtful discussion about the X1D from Lloyd and readers at Diglloyd:

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170113_1156-Hasselblad-troubled.html

Lloyd references Kevin's recent blog posting in the article as well.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Joseph Colson on January 19, 2017, 02:19:29 pm
I received the shipping notice from B&H on the camera (ordered on June 23) and all three lenses.  ;D

No spare battery yet though. Backordered.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: cgarnerhome on January 19, 2017, 02:58:24 pm
Long story short - I canceled my order today for the X1D and will get the GFX50.  I placed orders for both as soon as they were released.  I have done a significant amount of reading on both systems.  I love the design and smaller package of the X1D and I love the utility/flexibility of the GFX.  I was very influenced by how poorly Hasselblad has handled the communication with its future customers and I'm concerned about how I will be handled in the future as a user.  Regarding Fuji, I feel more comfortable with their stability and future and perhaps most importantly to me I feel they will be very committed to extending the capability of this platform.  Time will tell!
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: jkhansen on January 19, 2017, 03:19:06 pm
In lieu of how HB handled the release, I also cancelled my order of the X1D today and ordered the Fuji. I wonder how many orders they will lose to the 50S...
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 19, 2017, 03:20:50 pm
Well, I have both on order, so I might as well look at the X1D when it arrives, since the GFX will (so it seems) be awhile. And if I really, really, really like the X1D, I can cancel the GFX. Otherwise I will return the X1D and wait for the GFX. Hopefully, there will be no bad surprises from either camera, although it has been not-good of Hasselblad what they have done so far, which is IMO not be crystal clear about what is happening. I am used to work-horse cameras, and the X1D was my first venture into expensive-land, so I may just have to remain with what I am used to. The GFX looks like a camera I could use, for a variety of reason, including my LF lenses, with an adapter. And the Retina-quality of the LCD beckons, because I do everything in LiveView, etc.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: jkhansen on January 19, 2017, 03:57:15 pm
Michael, did your rep at B&H elude to a prospective delivery date on the 50S?
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 19, 2017, 04:08:21 pm
Michael, did your rep at B&H elude to a prospective delivery date on the 50S?

Nope, which is why I may have time to check out the X1D, but I am quite disappointed with Hasselblad and for me the bloom is somewhat off that rose. As I say, I am more of a Fuji kind of guy, anyway.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on January 19, 2017, 04:15:10 pm
Well, I have both on order, so I might as well look at the X1D when it arrives, since the GFX will (so it seems) be awhile. And if I really, really, really like the X1D, I can cancel the GFX. Otherwise I will return the X1D and wait for the GFX. Hopefully, there will be no bad surprises from either camera, although it has been not-good of Hasselblad what they have done so far, which is IMO not be crystal clear about what is happening. I am used to work-horse cameras, and the X1D was my first venture into expensive-land, so I may just have to remain with what I am used to. The GFX looks like a camera I could use, for a variety of reason, including my LF lenses, with an adapter. And the Retina-quality of the LCD beckons, because I do everything in LiveView, etc.

Both of  these camera systems are quite expensive. I would think one would want to do some serious shooting of the type that you normally do with each of them before making a decision and then process the files. I have both on order. I have an open mind. However, I must admit that my predisposition is to choose a beautiful woman with some "issues" rather than one whose primary attribute is that she really cooks and cleans well. [Yes, I am joking.]
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 19, 2017, 04:28:08 pm
Both of  these camera systems are quite expensive. I would think one would want to do some serious shooting of the type that you normally do with each of them before making a decision and then process the files. I have both on order. I have an open mind. However, I must admit that my predisposition is to choose a beautiful woman with some "issues" rather than one whose primary attribute is that she really cooks and cleans well. [Yes, I am joking.]

Well, share that with your wife. You must be single.

Since they both use the same sensor, my guess is that the IQ of both will be excellent, which leaves us with a choice. I went for the X1D, because it was there first, and I thought it would be a good travel camera, with real delivery.  But the workability of the GFX is really all that I have ever had in a camera, and I like the idea of the high-quality LCD, and possible lenses with an adapter. Etc.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: E.J. Peiker on January 19, 2017, 05:48:58 pm
Michael, did your rep at B&H elude to a prospective delivery date on the 50S?
Amazon is quoting Feb 23 as the release date...
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: cgarnerhome on January 19, 2017, 06:43:52 pm
PDN reports the end of Feb.

http://www.pdnonline.com/gear/cameras/fuji-will-deliver-medium-format-gfx-50s-7000/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PDN%20Newswire%20Newsletter%20Template%2001182017%20(1)&utm_content=#gallery-5

My dealer also expects the end of Feb.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 25, 2017, 08:09:34 pm
https://diglloyd.com/

B&H has begun shipping the Hasselblad X1D in limited quantities in the U.S. See the above link.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Joseph Colson on January 25, 2017, 08:34:00 pm
https://diglloyd.com/

B&H has begun shipping the Hasselblad X1D in limited quantities in the U.S. See the above link.

Michael, I received my X1D from B&H on January 20. And at least one B&H customer got his in late December-early January.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 25, 2017, 08:37:43 pm
Michael, I received my X1D from B&H on January 20. And at least one B&H customer got his in late December-early January.

If you will, tell us how you like it, please.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Joseph Colson on January 25, 2017, 11:00:12 pm
If you will, tell us how you like it, please.

In short, I love it. I've posted some first impressions here (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/60733-fun-x1d.html). More first impressions from another [lucky] user here (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/60763-x1d-4116-first-impressions.html).

Contact me if you have specific questions.

Joe
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Lust4Life on January 26, 2017, 08:37:44 am
What lens did you get with it?
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Joseph Colson on January 26, 2017, 08:49:07 am
What lens did you get with it?

I have all three initial lenses - XCD 90mm, XCD 45mm and XCD 30mm. I've tested the 90mm and 45mm and they both are stellar, the 90mm perhaps being the best 90mm I've ever used.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Lust4Life on January 26, 2017, 08:52:41 am
Thanks.  The 90 and the 30 are what I have on order.

Currently shooting the H5D 50c WiFi with 28 and 100.
I love the H5D, but just need to reduce the weight in my camera pack by nearly 5 pounds!

I'm ready!
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: eronald on January 26, 2017, 09:34:47 am
In short, I love it. I've posted some first impressions here (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/60733-fun-x1d.html). More first impressions from another [lucky] user here (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/60763-x1d-4116-first-impressions.html).

Contact me if you have specific questions.

Joe

Sony CMOS  sensors seems to be the best thing which ever happened to medium format digital!
Companies now design cameras again rather than housings for electronic boards.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Lust4Life on January 26, 2017, 03:00:01 pm
That is a nice was to think about it, and I believe your comment is valid.
Now, who will be the one to design the compilation of camera, lenses and support to capture the markets interest that manifests in real sales?

Will be interesting to watch, and participate in.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: kers on January 26, 2017, 05:49:20 pm
As i read; the shutter lag is the achilles heel of this camera.
That is pity for it should be the easy move around- candid MF; and it is not suited for it.

Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Joseph Colson on January 26, 2017, 05:55:13 pm
As i read; the shutter lag is the achilles heel of this camera.
That is pity for it should be the easy move around- candid MF; and it is not suited for it.

I disagree and I now shoot with an X1D. The "shutter lag" is perceptible but not a deal breaker for walk-around casual use. Way overblown. YMMV
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Lust4Life on January 26, 2017, 06:12:26 pm
Joe, I shoot mainly landscapes and there are many times I have the camera set up and ready to click while I wait for the clouds, wind to stop, etc.
This can be several minutes that I have the camera ready and charged so to say.

What about the comment on another post that it is "hot" regarding heat generation, and I guess also battery drain?

Jack
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Joseph Colson on January 26, 2017, 07:52:18 pm
Joe, I shoot mainly landscapes and there are many times I have the camera set up and ready to click while I wait for the clouds, wind to stop, etc.
This can be several minutes that I have the camera ready and charged so to say.

Me too. I often do the same.

What about the comment on another post that it is "hot" regarding heat generation, and I guess also battery drain?

Jack

The base of the camera gets warm, acting as a heat sink for such a dense electronic device. The camera goes into a standby/sleep mode after a user-selectable time and the power drain is greatly reduced. It "wakes up" quickly and is ready to shoot with a half-press of the shutter release button. No worries.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 26, 2017, 08:35:27 pm
I don’t agree with those who want to paint the X1D as just a rich-folks toy, good only to show off and to get attention. And there is also the theme that neither the GFX nor the X1D are “really” MF camera, because their sensors are two small.
For me, these kind of comments are not helpful. At this point, I am not a fanboy of either camera, but I do have to make a choice, and soon.

And I do see real differences between the two cameras, and find they appeal to two different parts of me. After many years of carrying around a large DSLR, tons of lenses, biggish tripod, bellows, and on and on, there is a part of me that yearns to have a smallish camera, but one more capable than what I have now (D810), one with just a handful of lenses, perhaps three or four, tops. With that, I would spend more time just taking photos, and less endless experimenting, kibitzing about lenses and the like. That, of course, dictates the X1D.

On the hand, there is a part of me, and a strong part that, perhaps due to Nikon’s failure to offer me a significant upgrade to my D810, wants to forge a future from my current past, and extend my penchant for a plethora of lenses, a larger sensor, etc. In other words, continue on the gearhead track I have been on for many years. That would be the GFX.

The gearhead in me can clearly see that the GFX is by far the most forward-looking gear, period, with the exception perhaps of color. I have seen lots of Hasselblad’s output (and like it), but I have not seen enough of the Fuji output to make sure it does not subtly irritate me and make my processing more difficult.

So, there are two trains running, as we say, and I can’t afford to ride them both, so I have to choose one, and soon... or go to the back of the line, which for the X1D could be another year. I have already waited over six months for the X1D, so I don’t much like the feeling of doing that for another year.

Bottom line is that I feel I should get the GFX, for practical reasons, but I also so appreciate the minimalist approach, haptics, and form factor of the X1D, that part of me would welcome the simplicity of that approach, unless of course it is a dud. Yet, Ming Thein has already made it clear that, for him, it is not.

So, forgive these more prosaic (and less technical) comments. I appreciate all that is posted here, and it sounds like very soon the few raindrops of actual experience with these cameras that exist now will become a torrent of experience, and we will have to find another topic to become enthused about.

Please keep that experience coming!
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Joseph Colson on January 26, 2017, 09:01:26 pm
So, forgive these more prosaic (and less technical) comments. I appreciate all that is posted here, and it sounds like very soon the few raindrops of actual experience with these cameras that exist now will become a torrent of experience, and we will have to find another topic to become enthused about.

Please keep that experience coming!

Michael, we're all gearheads at heart. No forgiveness necessary. We're fortunate to have choices that are as attractive as the X1D and GFX. Both will be in reviewers' hands in late February-early March and we'll all know more about the two. If you're uncertain, wait until you can handle and shoot both. Making a hasty decision just because of availability could lead to second-guessing and disappointment. I bought the X1D for a specific set of reasons, and believe me when I say it's not "just a rich-folks toy".
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Michael Erlewine on January 26, 2017, 09:09:40 pm
Michael, we're all gearheads at heart. No forgiveness necessary. We're fortunate to have choices that are as attractive as the X1D and GFX. Both will be in reviewers' hands in late February-early March and we'll all know more about the two. If you're uncertain, wait until you can handle and shoot both. Making a hasty decision just because of availability could lead to second-guessing and disappointment. I bought the X1D for a specific set of reasons, and believe me when I say it's not "just a rich-folks toy".

Well, I may get the X1D and if I don't like it after extended use, i (gulp) will sell it and probably have enough money to buy the GFX. It's only money! Time is more precious.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: NickT on January 26, 2017, 09:52:59 pm
I'm still waiting for my X1D to arrive but I haven't forgotten how felt in hand, like a camera. For me that's an important part of the experience that I don't get from some of the other cameras that I use.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: Lust4Life on January 26, 2017, 10:29:11 pm
I would be interested in hearing any statements based on actual fact and experience regarding:  Quality of the glass in resolving, detail, etc between what I could put on the face of the Fuji GXF505 verse the X1D.  I'm particularly interested in wide angle.

I shoot the 28 and 100 Hassies on my H5D-50c WiFi but have never shot with Fuji branded glass.

Jack

Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on January 26, 2017, 10:36:49 pm
I'm still waiting for my X1D to arrive but I haven't forgotten how felt in hand, like a camera. For me that's an important part of the experience that I don't get from some of the other cameras that I use.

I have to agree with Nick. My X1D arrived today unexpectedly. Forget how good it looks. One can discount good looks. Far more significant is that I have never picked up a camera that falls to the hand more perfectly.  I am just astonished at how well it handles. I look forward to testing it operationally.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 26, 2017, 10:40:48 pm
I love the look of the first samples shot with the 90mm, sounds like a wonderful lens.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hubell on January 26, 2017, 11:13:04 pm
As i read; the shutter lag is the achilles heel of this camera.
That is pity for it should be the easy move around- candid MF; and it is not suited for it.

I am cross posting this from another forum as it is relevant to your concern:

I just mounted a Nikon SB-700 on the X1D I received today and set the flash to manual and the exposure on manual. When I depressed the shutter button, I heard a click and the flash fired immediately. There did not appear to be any lag in the firing of the flash, and the exposure taken by the camera certainly reflected the lighting from the flash. Now, after the initial click when the shutter is depressed and the flash fires, there is a quick second click and then a third click. I don't know exactly what the second and third clicks are about, but it certainly seems to me that, if the flash is firing immediately when the shutter is depressed, any shutter lag on the X1D is pretty imperceptible.

I am not a flash guy, so anyone who does understand flash, please feel free to tell me this little test is flawed if in fact it is.
Title: Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
Post by: hasselbladfan on January 27, 2017, 04:49:38 am
I have all three initial lenses - XCD 90mm, XCD 45mm and XCD 30mm.

Curious to get your opinion of the 30mm also.