Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Onslow on July 10, 2015, 11:54:21 pm

Title: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 10, 2015, 11:54:21 pm
Hi, Since December last yr I have been converting on import into LR my 5Dmkii files to dng. I do this as I believe the Dual Illuminant camera profile I have created using my Colorchecker passport can be embedded into the file. I asked jeff awhile ago re this and found out the Update DNG Previews and Metadata is required to actually embed the profile. So, up until now my import would occur, the dng previews would be created and then I would select all images so that I could then "Update DNG Previews and Metadata". A bit long winded but it did what I thought was necessary.
I am now looking at a computer upgrade. Currently win7 64. I have lots of camera profiles from various shoots. I have lost profiles as well and discovered this when I view the image and see the camera calibration defaulting back to Adobe Standard or some such. Wanting to avoid this, I started the dng conversions.
Up until today I thought all was fine, however I have performed some tests and either I don't understand what is occurring or there is a bug... Could someone advise me please. I have searched online at adobe but haven't found an answer.
1) I shot a new image today and imported as dng into LR6. I have custom settings including the dual illuminant camera profile set as default settings. I Updated the Dng preview and metadata on it to embed the profile. I then took that dng over to my sons laptop with my 2nd  (installed today, no custom settings and no custom camera profiles) copy of LR6. I checked the camera profiles and it gave me an old profile from a yr and a half ago from ACR.
2) I then took a LR5 processed dng from january this yr and ran update DNG previews and metadata on the dng file. I took that over to the laptop, checked the camera calibration tab and find the correct dual illuminant.
Now, it seems that my understanding was correct for LR5 but is this a bug with it not embedding correctly or has something changed I haven't picked up on?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 11, 2015, 12:33:33 pm
Now, it seems that my understanding was correct for LR5 but is this a bug with it not embedding correctly or has something changed I haven't picked up on?
This appears to me to be an LR6 bug and I can confirm on this end, the same issue. Updated DNG as you describe, copy file to Finder, import into virgin catalog. Result is Adobe Standard, not the profile I selected.
Actually testing again (twice) I do see the new catalog honoring the embedded (correct) profile now, not sure what's up with that! It could still be some intermittent bug because I did see LR "assign" Adobe Standard to a DNG that was custom profiled like it's neighbors. I'd say keep an eye on this one.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 11, 2015, 01:20:38 pm
Something is wrong here, I'm seeing inconsistent results where images that should have my custom profile don't after import to a different catalog.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 11, 2015, 09:27:26 pm
Something is wrong here, I'm seeing inconsistent results where images that should have my custom profile don't after import to a different catalog.
Thank you Andrew for checking. Following a suggestion I have received, I copied the LR6 dng which had Update DNG Preview and Metadata performed on my original pc, from the 2nd pc which showed the incorrect profile back to my original machine. I copied it into the catalog with no changes performed during the import and then checked the profile. It read the correct Dual Illuminated Profile? Odd,
As I say, I performed the updating preview in LR6, where I can see the correct profile.
Copied and viewed on machine 2 which showed an old, incorrect profile. (Btw, when checking I saw only the adobe profile offerings and two old profiles from a yr and a half or so ago).
The copied the same file back to machine 1 which after import with no changes made, showed the correct profile.

As a further test, I have created a new test catalog on my original machine(#1) I imported the files into the new catalog, checked and all of the profiles are as they should be.

This is a concern as when I make the move to the new machine in several weeks, I would prefer to have all of the profiles embedded in the dng correctly and not worry about profiles being missed when copying the profiles from the old to the new machine.
Currently, Machine #2 which doesn't have the relevant profiles but has the same version of LR as my current machine is throwing up this error.
This indicates it is a bug.......
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: BobShaw on July 11, 2015, 10:08:05 pm
Sounds like and awful lot of effort to go down a dark Adobe road with no exits. (:-)

I would just keep the files raw and adjust the ones that need to be adjusted. I assume the purpose of this is to correct the inaccuracies of the camera colour. I have a 5D2 and while it's a great camera colour accuracy is not it's long suit. For less money I actual bought a Hasselblad H3D and the colour is perfect straight out of the camera. (I profiled it the and there was minimal difference.) I didn't use the ColorCheckR Passport though, I was disappointed that it didn't work with anything except LR, so I bought the SpyderCheckr, which produces HSL adjustments.

I now use the Canon for general things but where I want accurate colours I use a camera with that.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: AlterEgo on July 11, 2015, 10:11:40 pm
I was disappointed that it didn't work with anything except LR
it actually does work with any raw converter that accepts either icc/icm or dcp containers for camera profiles... more so - any kind of target does work for any kind of such raw converter ( excluding the cases of intentionally unusable targets - like for example a target with just one patch  :D )
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 11, 2015, 10:23:43 pm
Sounds like and awful lot of effort to go down a dark Adobe road with no exits. (:-)

I would just keep the files raw and adjust the ones that need to be adjusted. I assume the purpose of this is to correct the inaccuracies of the camera colour. I have a 5D2 and while it's a great camera colour accuracy is not it's long suit. For less money I actual bought a Hasselblad H3D and the colour is perfect straight out of the camera. (I profiled it the and there was minimal difference.) I didn't use the ColorCheckR Passport though, I was disappointed that it didn't work with anything except LR, so I bought the SpyderCheckr, which produces HSL adjustments.

I now use the Canon for general things but where I want accurate colours I use a camera with that.
Bob, the reason I choose to go down the DNg path is that in the past I have had profiles go missing. Whilst the info was stored in the xmp, the actual profile isn't.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: AlterEgo on July 11, 2015, 10:34:23 pm
in the past I have had profiles go missing.
why don't you just backup the catalog where Adobe likes to keep user supplied DCP profiles, that's it... Adobe in its infinite wisdom does not allow ACR/LR to pickup profile(s) from the same catalog where the raw file(s) reside(s) - only from a few predefined catalogs, so just backup them on a regular basis, just like you do backup your raw files or LR catalog, that's it.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 11, 2015, 11:40:15 pm
why don't you just backup the catalog where Adobe likes to keep user supplied DCP profiles, that's it... Adobe in its infinite wisdom does not allow ACR/LR to pickup profile(s) from the same catalog where the raw file(s) reside(s) - only from a few predefined catalogs, so just backup them on a regular basis, just like you do backup your raw files or LR catalog, that's it.
The machine is backed up regularly as is the catalog daily. The missing profiles were from before I adopted LR several yrs ago. I occasionally send clients raw files and I want the profiles embedded. It saves mucking around with larger psd's or tiffs. The other reason I have gone to dng is the ability to validate them.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 12, 2015, 10:06:51 am
Bob, the reason I choose to go down the DNg path is that in the past I have had profiles go missing. Whilst the info was stored in the xmp, the actual profile isn't.
Exactly and it's a very useful road to go down when you have multiple processing machines running LR and don't want to (or need to) have multiple copies of DNG profiles installed. The profiles should just be embedded into the DNG.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: AlterEgo on July 12, 2015, 10:30:27 am
Exactly and it's a very useful road to go down when you have multiple processing machines running LR and don't want to (or need to) have multiple copies of DNG profiles installed. The profiles should just be embedded into the DNG.
or a more simple solution is to allow ACR/LR to pickup profiles from the same location where the raw files are stored...
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 12, 2015, 11:55:55 am
or a more simple solution is to allow ACR/LR to pickup profiles from the same location where the raw files are stored...
No, it's not simpler and it's not how the DNG container was designed (we've found a bug) and it's not what the OP, I and other's want! Imagine rendered images without the ability to embed an ICC profile. Awful! The same is true for those of us that wish to use the DNG container as designed.

I have to ask you, do you even use a DNG workflow? Do you actually realize the raw files and the DNG camera profiles don't reside in the same location and many of us want them to do so, by having them inside the DNG?

The facts are, some of us have multiple machines and don't want multiple DNG profiles separate from the images that require the profile or it gets substituted and that greatly and incorrectly affects it's image appearance. The facts are, the DNG container should allow us to embed this important data directly into said container. It's simpler (for us at least), cuts down in possibly missing files and ensures the raw and profile stay together.

There's no logical argument other than LR6 should do what it was designed to do with respect to DNG camera profiles and embed them into the container.

Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: BobShaw on July 12, 2015, 09:07:51 pm
Not sure why people shout like someone here knows how something was designed or has any input to it. Talk to Adobe if you think there is a design issue.

What is DNG, is it a raw file format, or a profile? I have raw files, and I have profiles. The system works and if I want to change to say Capture One then it will still work.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 12, 2015, 09:31:12 pm
Something is wrong here, I'm seeing inconsistent results where images that should have my custom profile don't after import to a different catalog.
Andrew, Thanks for checking. I don't see quite what you are seeing. If the catalog is on the machine #1 where the profiles live, they are picked up correctly. If the dng's are transferred to another machine where I know the dual illuminant profile is not installed, then it fails to show the correct embedded profile.
Here is a dropbox link to a dng test I have done. I shot it yesterday, converted to dng, Ran 'Update Dng Previews and Metadata' to embed my dual illuminant profile called "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile". On my usual machine using LR6.1, the profile is shown. When I take it onto the other machine running LR6.1 and which doesn't have the profile installed on it, it shows another profile instead, one called "20130424 Catalina" which is on machine #2.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/ConvertedOnImportIUpdatedPreviewsMG_2354.dng (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/ConvertedOnImportIUpdatedPreviewsMG_2354.dng)

You would agree then that this is a bug, correct?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 13, 2015, 12:54:04 am
One further thing. I received a suggestion to export the dng as Dng's and as Original to check if the correct profile was applied on export. I did this. On my original machine, the correct profile is found on both. On the laptop though with LR6.1, the incorrect 20130323 Catalina profile is seen.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: sandymc on July 13, 2015, 08:12:12 am
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/ConvertedOnImportIUpdatedPreviewsMG_2354.dng (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/ConvertedOnImportIUpdatedPreviewsMG_2354.dng)

Taking a quick look inside the DNG, the profile name in the file you uploaded shows as "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3". It's a single illuminant D55 profile.

Sandy
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 13, 2015, 08:49:13 am
Taking a quick look inside the DNG, the profile name in the file you uploaded shows as "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3". It's a single illuminant D55 profile.

Sandy

Yes, I have been told that by someone else. Yet, on the original machine, it is called 5Dmk2 Dual Illumant Profile and on the 2nd machine I see the profile is called 20130424 Catalina. I do NOT see the Jeff and Pauline venning profile at all.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: AlterEgo on July 13, 2015, 08:58:11 am
What is DNG, is it a raw file format, or a profile? I have raw files, and I have profiles.
raw file formats allow camera profiles to be stored within raw files...
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: AlterEgo on July 13, 2015, 09:16:32 am
No
Yes

, it's not simpler and it's not how the DNG container was designed

it has nothing to do with DNG container - just like DNG container was not designed for ACR/LR to pickup profiles from certain folders and not from others - this design decision is about the converter, not about DNG container - note that nobody is saying that you shall not be allowed to store your profiles in DNG files if you want so... however the implementation as usual is half done by Adobe - how about removing profiles or otherwise manipulating stored profiles from/in DNG files using standard Adobe tools ? yes, exactly...


(we've found a bug) and it's not what the OP, I and other's want!

congratulations with a bug if it is a bug, I and others want to be able to (_also_) use profiles stored with the same folders where raw files are

Imagine rendered images without the ability to embed an ICC profile.

absolutely, but the purpose of "raw" files is have a flexibility in "rendering" (conversion with whatever profiles I want), purpose of "images" (all quotes intended) are exactly to disallow that uncertainty about the color profile defining the color spaces in which color coordinates are... you, as usual, trying to obfuscate.


Awful! The same is true for those of us that wish to use the DNG container as designed.

as noted DNG container design has has nothing to do from which folders/catalogs ACR/LR pickup profiles - and it is also designed to store icc profiles - so why am I not able to do this using ACR/LR... the container was designed to be store them  :D, was it not ?


I have to ask you, do you even use a DNG workflow?

and I have to ask you if you even understand what it is ?


Do you actually realize the raw files and the DNG camera profiles don't reside in the same location and many of us want them to do so, by having them inside the DNG?

you even realize that some people actually want to keep raw files and relevant profiles in the same place ? and that those people do not try to impose their ways on you, but as usual display your arrogance by claiming that only your way is the right one ? get yourself a mirror and take a look in it.

The facts are, some of us have multiple machines and don't want multiple DNG profiles separate from the images that require the profile or it gets substituted and that greatly and incorrectly affects it's image appearance.

fact is that LR being not an enterprise solution still relies on raw files, profiles and LR catalogs being available through a regular filesystems... and there is also ACR (which you in your usual arrogance tend to forget) - so many of us have multiple machines, do not use LR and still want profiles to be kept along with raw files when we need that (which also helps us with our backup & sharing strategies), at the same time not wishing you to change your ways... again how about stop pretending to be the only righteous guru here ?

The facts are, the DNG container should allow us to embed this important data directly into said container. It's simpler (for us at least), cuts down in possibly missing files and ensures the raw and profile stay together.

the fact are, the converters (LR/ACR) shall allow us to use profiles how users want them to use, specifically those who do not wish to use DNG files at all.

There's no logical argument other than LR6 should do what it was designed to do with respect to DNG camera profiles and embed them into the container.

there are many that it and ACR also shall allow profiles to be stored along with raw files.

PS: I want to reiterate that by no means I wish you to lose the ability to store your profiles in DNG files... however the more simple solution is to (also) allow to store profiles per catalog (even for LR users keeping everything in LR catalogs to store them there)... 
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 09:32:11 am
Not sure why people shout like someone here knows how something was designed or has any input to it. Talk to Adobe if you think there is a design issue.
What is DNG, is it a raw file format, or a profile?
Neither, it's a file format container that can contain raw or rendered data (you can save a  JPEG inside a DNG), and it contains profile data among lots of other data we can store within the container called DNG. Not much different than TIFF!
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 09:43:46 am
Yes
No! For you (assuming you even use DNG documents) yes, for many of us that work with DNG (do you?) that want the profiles embedded, by design, the answer is clearly yes we want the DNG profiles embedded into the container. That's what I want, that's what the OP wants.
Quote
congratulations with a bug if it is a bug, I and others want to be able to (_also_) use profiles stored with the same folders where raw files are
It is a bug. It's not proper operation consistently like the old days.
Quote
you, as usual, trying to obfuscate.
As usual, you don't get what others who've used a process designed a specific way for years want. Again, do you even utilize a DNG workflow like the OP and I (and others) or are you just here to be typically annoying, wrong to argue that a feature that's been available for YEARS isn't what we and the designers of the product desire? Your writings as others here have found (and reported), is best ignored.

Quote
PS: I want to reiterate that by no means I wish you to lose the ability to store your profiles in DNG files... however the more simple solution is to (also) allow to store profiles per catalog (even for LR users keeping everything in LR catalogs to store them there)...
What an idiotic idea. What catalog for ACR users? What about users who work with more than one converter that supports DNG camera profiles? You're flat earth DNG workflow theories are bested totally ignored.

Quote
You even realize that some people actually want to keep raw files and relevant profiles in the same place ? and that those people do not try to impose their ways on you, but as usual display your arrogance by claiming that only your way is the right one ? get yourself a mirror and take a look in it.
The text illustrates you don't have a clue, you do NOT have to embed the DNG profile into the DNG container IF you don't want to. It's getting clear now  you don't use nor care how others use a DNG workflow AS designed for those what want said design features.

It is you, as usual, trying to obfuscate and further add zero text to aid the OP or those of us investigating a bug in Lightroom. Just go away would you please?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 09:51:38 am
You would agree then that this is a bug, correct?
Still not sure what's going on where it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but your file comes imported into my catalog as Adobe Standard but look at the dialog containing the list of DNG Profiles:
(http://digitaldog.net/files/DNGProfilebug.tiff)
The bug appears to be the DNG profile selected by default?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 13, 2015, 09:57:08 am
Still not sure what's going on where it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but your file comes imported into my catalog as Adobe Standard but look at the dialog containing the list of DNG Profiles:
(http://digitaldog.net/files/DNGProfilebug.tiff)
The bug appears to be the DNG profile selected by default?
Andrew, thanks for that. I am however unable to see the graphic for some reason.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 10:04:10 am
Andrew, thanks for that. I am however unable to see the graphic for some reason.
http://digitaldog.net/files/DNGProfilebug.tiff

You'll see the list of all profiles from the dropdown, your profile IS included as Sandy reported but it isn't selected. Instead (and I think that's the bug), it's set for Adobe Standard.
Update: ACR is having the same issues as LR! It shows your profile as a possible selection but doesn't default to it.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: AlterEgo on July 13, 2015, 10:19:12 am
No!

YES!


For you (assuming you even use DNG documents) yes, for many of us that work with DNG (do you?) that want the profiles embedded, by design, the answer is clearly yes we want the DNG profiles embedded into the container.

again you are trying to misrepresent the situation by slipping the wording that I am alone and you are many  :D ... as if it is not clear for the readers... this is not about DNG even - as many people simple do not use DNG at all - the issue at hand is that ACR/LR do not allow a more convenient way to structure the storage of dcp profiles,  but also allowing them to be stored along with the raw files... now if you want to store profile in DCP containers in DNG containers that's fine, extra flexibility for users who wish to go that route... I also want to store profiles in ICC/ICM containers in DNG containers - a legit desire, is it not ? because DNG specification clearly allows that - but alas ACR/LR or any other Adobe tools do not support that part of DNG spec, so clearly it is about what ACR/LR tools do and do not, not about what DNG allows ...

What catalog for ACR users?

where the raw files are for which a specific profile is desired (vs a profile that is being used universally)... some people tend to create separate dcp profiles for each session (in most cases a totally useless exercise, but they think it helps them)... I, for example, want to store profiles that I am experimenting with in the directories where my raw files with targets are, instead of soiling the global locations with test profiles...

What about users who work with more than one converter that supports DNG camera profiles?

the same story... be it Rawtherapee or Iridient Rawdeveloper


You're flat earth DNG workflow theories are bested totally ignored.

again, usual arrogance over the top...

you do NOT have to embed the DNG profile into the DNG container IF you don't want to.

and I do not - I wish to be able pickup DCP profiles also from the same folder where the raw files that I am working with are located... it is a simple thing to implement and also helps with backups.

It's getting clear now  you don't use nor care how others use a DNG workflow AS designed for those what want said design features.

don't pretend that you alone know what DNG workflow is...

It is you, as usual, trying to obfuscate and further add zero text to aid the OP or those of us investigating a bug in Lightroom. Just go away would you please?

plz don't tell me what to do and I will not tell you where you need to go...
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 10:22:54 am
OK, spending useful time looking over the bug and ignoring AlterEgo who's lost, it seems this IS a LR6 bug. I imported your file into LR5 and updated it after selecting your custom profile. Opened in LR6, it shows the correct embedded profile by default: 20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 13, 2015, 10:38:00 am
OK, spending useful time looking over the bug and ignoring AlterEgo who's lost, it seems this IS a LR6 bug. I imported your file into LR5 and updated it after selecting your custom profile. Opened in LR6, it shows the correct embedded profile by default: 20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3.
Andrew.... That is the INCORRECT profile..... I have sent you a pm with screen captures. The name of the correct profile should be "5Dmk2 Dual Illumant Profile". If you do not see the words within the quotes, you are not seeing the correct profile. On the 2nd machine using the same file, I see a profile called 20130424 Catalina! That is th only profile installed on the 2nd machine....!
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 10:42:35 am
Andrew.... That is the INCORRECT profile..... I have sent you a pm with screen captures.
Got anything named 20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3? Sandy see's it as do I in the list of profiles when we look at your DNG. How did you build it (what product)?
No Adobe Standard profile on that 2nd machine?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 13, 2015, 10:55:32 am
Got anything named 20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3? Sandy see's it as do I in the list of profiles when we look at your DNG. How did you build it (what product)?
Here is a list of all the profiles I have on my system. As you can see, the Jeff venning profile does exist. It however is not selected as I have defaults set for import. One of the is to automatically set the profile to "5Dmk2Dual Illuminant Profile"
(http://www.johnmurrayphotography.com.au/img/s11/v29/p1319835187.jpg)

Here is a screengrab of my desktop with LR6.1 showing the correct profile. However, you and others are seeing the Jeff venning profile which is not selected in my screengrab. On my 2nd machine I see the profile called 20130610 Catalina is applied as the camera profile.
(http://www.johnmurrayphotography.com.au/img/s8/v82/p1319872911.jpg)

My profiles are built using the color checker passport software. The default profile called 5Dmk2 Dual illuminant Profile was built using that software from within LR5 using the xrite plugin. That profile was built on the 28th Nov, 2014.

Edit... For clarity, I made a mistake on the Catalina dates. Nevertheless it is a profile called yyyymmdd Catalina I see on the 2nd machine, Not the correct one or even the Venning one.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 13, 2015, 11:05:06 am
A closeup of the Camera Calibration tab
(http://www.johnmurrayphotography.com.au/img/s3/v41/p1319904277.jpg)
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 12:58:32 pm
I think the most pertinent point is Sandy and I see the same profile in the DNG you uploaded. I'm not sure if he sees it selected or Adobe Standard as I do. That's an issue as well. Why isn't that profile selected? When I toggle between it and Adobe Standard, there's a visible color difference. That behavior alone makes no sense.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 01:43:21 pm
On my usual machine using LR6.1, the profile is shown. When I take it onto the other machine running LR6.1 and which doesn't have the profile installed on it, it shows another profile instead, one called "20130424 Catalina" which is on machine #2.
That set of a light bulb or memory of an issue reported in the past where LR selects a profile it can't find alpha numeric (not necessarily Adobe Standard). On that 2nd machine, what happens if all you do is install a copy of 20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3 DNG profile?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 03:21:47 pm
On my wife's machine your DNG comes into her catalog as Adobe Standard with 20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3 as a possible selection. It should be selected but I'm pretty sure it's 'in there'.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: sandymc on July 13, 2015, 04:49:50 pm
LR's profile selection process is complex - here's my understanding of it, at least as it applied to previous versions of LR:

1. If a profile was specifically assigned, LR will use that.

2. If no profile was assigned, LR will default to Adobe Standard. (This is how LR handles cameras that produce DNGs natively, e.g., the Leica M9)

3. If no Adobe Standard profile exists for the camera in question, LR defaults to the embedded profile

I suspect that's what happening here is that what LR is seeing is the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile as an embedded profile (its in IFD 0, which is where the embedded profile lives), but not as the assigned profile. So it's defaulting to using Adobe Standard.

It would be useful to see the LR5 processed file that works, and compare to what's in that.

Sandy
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 13, 2015, 06:56:52 pm
I suspect that's what happening here is that what LR is seeing is the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile as an embedded profile (its in IFD 0, which is where the embedded profile lives), but not as the assigned profile. So it's defaulting to using Adobe Standard.
Multiple DNG profiles can be stored but I don't know what the trick is to Assign one. The bug is an Assign issue.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 13, 2015, 09:44:51 pm

I suspect that's what happening here is that what LR is seeing is the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile as an embedded profile (its in IFD 0, which is where the embedded profile lives), but not as the assigned profile. So it's defaulting to using Adobe Standard.

It would be useful to see the LR5 processed file that works, and compare to what's in that.

Sandy
Sandy, I have read what you have said. Lr IS seeing the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile. However, THAT is not the profile that was embedded. This is I think where the bug is. I am setting the profile as "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile", I run Update Dng Previews and metadata which should embed that profile, NOT the venning profile!
I have attached a link to a dropbox folder. In it is a zip file containing the following.

1) The last dng I processed using LR5. Notice the profile reads "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile". This is seen on both of my machines. Thi is the correct profile. I have attached screen captures. Machine2 is the laptop with only one profile on it.

2) A screen grab of all camera profiles in Machine #2. Please note that the profile is different again to the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" one being the Catalina one.

3) The first dng I processed using LR6. On my Main machine #1, the profile reads "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile" after Update Dng Previews and metadata has been run. On machine #2, you can see the profile is different being the Venning one.

4) A screen grab of machine #2 showing the LR5 processed dng having the correct embedded profile.

5) A screen grab of machine #2 showing the LR6 processed dng having the wrong embedded profile.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/CameraProfileIssuesLR6.zip (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/CameraProfileIssuesLR6.zip)


Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 13, 2015, 09:50:12 pm
Multiple DNG profiles can be stored but I don't know what the trick is to Assign one. The bug is an Assign issue.
Andrew, In my reply to Sandy, I have attached a dropbox link so you can see before and after LR6 dngs. You say multiple dng profiles can be stored.... The correct profile though isn't being stored surely? else the "5DMK2 Dual Illuminant Profile" profile would be visible within the dng. Correct?
 I don't understand how it can assign the right custom profile if it isn't stored either on the machne OR within the dng..
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 14, 2015, 06:27:25 am
At the suggestion of someone in another forum, I shot a new raw file today. I then did the following.
1) Provided a copy of the raw before import into LR6.1
2) Imported into LR6.1 with the Convert to Dng option. I have a default preset which automatically sets the profile to "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile". I then made some adjustments. I also provided a screen capture after the import showing the correct profile. This screen capture is Before I ran the Update Dng Previews and Metadata command.
3) I then ran the Update Dng Preview and metadata command and have provided a screen shot showing the status of this command completed and also the correct profile.
4) I also have supplied the various profiles I refer to.
5) I also exported the image as a catalog
The files are here..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eekbtfz9gtsey6s/VariousStagesOfDNGImportAndProcessing.zip?dl=0 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/eekbtfz9gtsey6s/VariousStagesOfDNGImportAndProcessing.zip?dl=0)
The strange thing is to test, I transferred all of these files to the 2nd machine. The correct profile then showed up in the dng labelled after the Update Dng Previews had been done. All my other images this hasn't occurred. I do not know if this has picked up the correct profile from the zip and found it correctly? Who knows? Thoughts?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: sandymc on July 14, 2015, 07:41:28 am
Ok, I might now be able to shed at least some light on this.

Firstly, looking at the LR5 DNG vs. the LR6 DNG:

1. They are the same in that they BOTH have the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile set in IFD 0. Why exactly this is occurring I'm not sure, but this behavior seems to be the same for both LR5 and LR6, and doesn't contribute to the issue.

2. The DNGs differ in two ways:

a) The LR5 DNG has the "5D Mk2 Dual Illuminant Profile" embedded as a second profile. This is not present in the LR6 profile.

b) The LR5 DNG also has adjustment data (exposure adjustments, etc) embedded into its XMP data. Critically, this data includes the following line

crs:CameraProfile="5D Mk2 Dual Illuminant Profile"

So what appears to be happening here is that when LR6 imports and converts to DNG with a profile, it does not create an XMP adjustment record. So when the DNG is written, both the profile and the profile assignment are missing.

However, if you adjust the image, and then write it out, and XMP adjustment record is created, and everything works as it should. I think that this is why the second test worked - "I then made some adjustments" being the giveaway.

In summary, I think that under LR6, import and assign profile is not enough to mark an image as "modified". If it's not marked as modified, then adjustment data isn't written, and you get the problem as described above.

It would be interesting to try to import with a preset that both assigned a profile and made e.g., a small exposure adjustment, and see if the problem persists.

I'd agree, BTW, that this is a bug.

Sandy
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 14, 2015, 07:50:34 am
Ok, I might now be able to shed at least some light on this.

Firstly, looking at the LR5 DNG vs. the LR6 DNG:

1. They are the same in that they BOTH have the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile set in IFD 0. Why exactly this is occurring I'm not sure, but this behavior seems to be the same for both LR5 and LR6, and doesn't contribute to the issue.

2. The DNGs differ in two ways:

a) The LR5 DNG has the "5D Mk2 Dual Illuminant Profile" embedded as a second profile. This is not present in the LR6 profile.

b) The LR5 DNG also has adjustment data (exposure adjustments, etc) embedded into its XMP data. Critically, this data includes the following line

crs:CameraProfile="5D Mk2 Dual Illuminant Profile"

So what appears to be happening here is that when LR6 imports and converts to DNG with a profile, it does not create an XMP adjustment record. So when the DNG is written, both the profile and the profile assignment are missing.

However, if you adjust the image, and then write it out, and XMP adjustment record is created, and everything works as it should. I think that this is why the second test worked - "I then made some adjustments" being the giveaway.

In summary, I think that under LR6, import and assign profile is not enough to mark an image as "modified". If it's not marked as modified, then adjustment data isn't written, and you get the problem as described above.

It would be interesting to try to import with a preset that both assigned a profile and made e.g., a small exposure adjustment, and see if the problem persists.

I'd agree, BTW, that this is a bug.

Sandy

I made some MANUAL adjustments!!!!!  That does seem to be the crux of the issue... Other changes I make as defaults are to the contrast, vibrance and clarity as well as lens profiles. As they are default adustments though, They are made before the conversion to DNg on import  and therefore wouldn't trigger this correct? After some sleep, I shall retry this with two new images. One I shall make some manual adjustments on. The other with none. Is there anyone else who can replicate the problem?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 14, 2015, 09:54:24 am
Sandy, I have read what you have said. Lr IS seeing the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile. However, THAT is not the profile that was embedded. This is I think where the bug is. I am setting the profile as "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile", I run Update Dng Previews and metadata which should embed that profile, NOT the venning profile!
Try using a different profile than 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile. Indeed, the profile embedded into the document Sandy and I have is embedded with Jeff and Pauline Venning 3. You might want to move that profile too, then try the test again. Let's see what gets sucked into the DNG and (what I consider another bug), what profile gets selected on another machine.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 15, 2015, 12:23:06 am
Andrew, thanks for that. I have performed 2 similar tests. Using this original raw and not tampered with in any way. I performed the following.
Test #1
1)     I copied the raw CR2 file to my #1 machine.
2)     I imported into LR6.1 with my deault import settings of the 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile being set as well as minor presence settings. As part of the import it performs the Convert to Dng.
3)     I copied the file to #2 Machine and checked the Profile. The profile was incorrect.
4)     Then, on #1Machine I ran the Update Dng Previews And Metadata command.
5)     I transferred the dng to #2 machine. The profile was incorrect.

Test #2
1)     I copied the raw CR2 file to my #1 machine.
2)     I imported into LR6.1 with my deault import settings of the 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile being set as well as minor presence settings. As part of the import it performs the Convert to Dng.
3)     I copied the file to #2 Machine and checked the Profile. The profile was incorrect.
4)     Then, on #1Machine I Held down the Shift Key and double clicked the whites and blacks sliders to set the black and white clipping points. I ran the Update Dng Previews And Metadata command.
5)     I transferred the dng to #2 machine. The profile was correct!. It read 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile as it should have.

This seems then that if no exposure adjustments are made to the file before running the Update Dng Previews and Metadata command, that the profile is not correctly embedded in the dng. If exposure adjustments are made, then the profile is embedded correctly.
It would seem then that people should be able to replicate this result by trying it for themselves. Would you agree?
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: digitaldog on July 15, 2015, 10:20:40 am
This seems then that if no exposure adjustments are made to the file before running the Update Dng Previews and Metadata command, that the profile is not correctly embedded in the dng. If exposure adjustments are made, then the profile is embedded correctly.
It would seem then that people should be able to replicate this result by trying it for themselves. Would you agree?
Yes but checking that any update to an adjustment, not just exposure, changes the testing. Also, I think there are at least two bugs here. One, the inability of the correct profile to 'stick' or be assigned unless you apply an edit and two, that moving to another machine doesn't call the correct "assigned" profile from the previous machine.

I emailed Eric Chan at Adobe about issue #2 but haven't heard back.
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: sandymc on July 15, 2015, 10:29:29 am
One, the inability of the correct profile to 'stick' or be assigned unless you apply an edit and two, that moving to another machine doesn't call the correct "assigned" profile from the previous machine.

I'd think those are the same bug - on the same machine, the catalog data would give the appearance of the profile sticking.

Sandy
Title: Re: Embedding camera profiles in Dng problem (LR6)..
Post by: Onslow on July 15, 2015, 09:07:39 pm
Yes but checking that any update to an adjustment, not just exposure, changes the testing. Also, I think there are at least two bugs here. One, the inability of the correct profile to 'stick' or be assigned unless you apply an edit and two, that moving to another machine doesn't call the correct "assigned" profile from the previous machine.

I emailed Eric Chan at Adobe about issue #2 but haven't heard back.
Thanks for emailing Eric Chan re this Andrew. I have tried to fill out a bug report for this but the system sends me in circles unfortunately.