Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a 645Z in Japan?  (Read 19147 times)

tsjanik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 720
Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »

I live in the US and may make a short trip to Japan.  I noticed that amazon.jp has the 645Z listed for the equivalent of about $6500 USD and I see the 645Z listed on ebay for $7500 by a Japanese store.  Is there any reason I shouldn't purchase a body while in Japan and save $2000 or order from Japan and still save over the US price? 

Tom
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 06:05:35 pm »

What will be the duty cost when bringing into the U.S.? Or will you not have to declare it with customs?

Paul


Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13980
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 06:33:24 pm »

Some Japanese brands only offer international warranty for lenses, not sure for Pentax.

Cheers,
Bernard

DanielStone

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 664
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:48:15 pm »

What will be the duty cost when bringing into the U.S.? Or will you not have to declare it with customs?

Paul

I've heard of people negating this roadblock by simply shooting 100 or so frame, then shipping the box/extras home separately...
They then fly home with a "used" camera in their possession.

Logged

derAngler

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:40:58 am »

I bought my 645D in Japan in 2011. The price difference was several thousand dollars, even including customs. I bought it through Mapcamera in Tokyo. Pentax Japan didn't offer an international warranty for it's cameras during that time and I am pretty sure that it will be the same with the new 645z. After 12 months I had a sensor problem with my camera and luckily they exchanged the camera for me, even it was not covered by the warranty.
I also bought several lenses from Japan through ebay and also through Yahoo auctions. Two times I got a lens with fungus inside, even they guaranteed that the lens would be in perfect condition. Due to the humid climate in Japan, I would advise not to buy old Pentax glas from there. There is a seller in Shinjuku who sells a lot of used Pentax glas on ebay. He writes that the lenses are checked by the official Pentax store before he sends them to you. But still he sent me a lens with fungus inside. On the pictures you can see a female model showing the lens. Avoid this guy.
So if you want to be 100% sure that you get a new body, I would buy it directly in Japan or let it send you through a website like whiterabbit.
Logged

ndevlin

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 679
    • Follow me on Twitter
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:35:45 am »

Warranty is the only real issue.  I bought my 645D from Japan (due to impatience), had a problem, and Pentax Canada graciously covered it - never discussed whether there was warranty coverage or not, but it was definitely at my risk.  I have less confidence in Pentax USA, though hopefully I am mistaken.

You would have to pay sales taxes on import, but i am not sure whether there is any duty on cameras. Buying in-country is always preferable, but i understand the the price issue for sure.  Just be glad you're not in the EU!

Cheers,


- N.

ps. I used a company called White Rabbit that specializes in Japan-only toys for the procurement and delivery.  They were excellent.
Logged
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:35:29 am »

Yes, I think if there is an issue you just send the camera back to the retailer who then negotiates with the manufacturer. Major japanese shops are usually very very reliable  people - Warranty service via the retailer used to be the case everywhere in fact.  maybe B&H and co don't offer this degree of service anymore in their effort to lower costs.

I think there are no federal customs tariffs on still cameras - you can call customs and ask.

Edmund

I bought my 645D in Japan in 2011. The price difference was several thousand dollars, even including customs. I bought it through Mapcamera in Tokyo. Pentax Japan didn't offer an international warranty for it's cameras during that time and I am pretty sure that it will be the same with the new 645z. After 12 months I had a sensor problem with my camera and luckily they exchanged the camera for me, even it was not covered by the warranty.
I also bought several lenses from Japan through ebay and also through Yahoo auctions. Two times I got a lens with fungus inside, even they guaranteed that the lens would be in perfect condition. Due to the humid climate in Japan, I would advise not to buy old Pentax glas from there. There is a seller in Shinjuku who sells a lot of used Pentax glas on ebay. He writes that the lenses are checked by the official Pentax store before he sends them to you. But still he sent me a lens with fungus inside. On the pictures you can see a female model showing the lens. Avoid this guy.
So if you want to be 100% sure that you get a new body, I would buy it directly in Japan or let it send you through a website like whiterabbit.
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

sgilbert

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 134
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 10:38:13 am »

My understanding is that there is no import duty in the U.S. for cameras.

See:  http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-code-duty-rate-import-restrictions/852580/digital-camera/8525.80.4000/8525.80.3000/857/
Logged

tsjanik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 720
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:25:08 pm »

Thanks for all the responses.  I spent a few hours searching US government sites yesterday, but was unable to find a definitive answer if a duty is imposed on cameras and if so, how much.    Duty amounts are calculated by using the Harmonized Tariff System, HTS.  My brief experience with it indicates that HTS may be one of the greatest examples of misnomer ever. I did find some advice for US travelers concerning cameras that suggested registering recent domestic camera purchases with Customs prior to  leaving the US.

The dutycalculator indicates no duty, but sales tax, which varies by state.

I've submitted  a request to White Rabbit.  I would be concerned about warranty service, but my impression is that any North American service on these cameras occurs in Japan.  I might as well ship directly to Japan rather than ship to Pentax US repair, who in turn ships to Japan.

Tom
Logged

Dshelly

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 82
    • Darryl Shelly Photography
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:28:44 pm »

If you buy in Japan, is the manual in Japanese language? I imagine there might be an English manual online.
Logged

bcooter

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1527
    • website
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 04:28:42 pm »

I live in the US and may make a short trip to Japan.  I noticed that amazon.jp has the 645Z listed for the equivalent of about $6500 USD and I see the 645Z listed on ebay for $7500 by a Japanese store.  Is there any reason I shouldn't purchase a body while in Japan and save $2000 or order from Japan and still save over the US price? 

Tom



We register all of our equipment with U.S. customs and carry invoices with serial numbers.  For larger projects we produce a carnet (you don't or won't need to do this for one camera), though having the receipt at the ready is very good idea.

But in reality, it depends on what airport/city you fly into.

Head a tough time at JFK, even with a carnet, as a agent in training filled in the wrong information and spent an hour with an officer who demanded we pay duty.   This went on an on.

LA, usually is easy, though one agent I see all the time and do anything to avoid him as any case that looks like equipment he puts you in the line with all the people importing goods from their native countries.
That is a two hour process and the agent we finally received knew we shouldn't be in that line, she still gave us the complete explanation on how to bring in gear, why duties exist, how . . . . .

So my thought is buy what you want, make a copy of that rule that is linked, be prepared to show you will pay local/state sales tax and hope it sails through, or at the worst hope you get an informed agent.

For repairs, as everyone mentioned, the Japanese retailers and manufacturers are usually very, very good at service.  It may be slow at times, but usually spot on.

IMO

BC

ndevlin

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 679
    • Follow me on Twitter
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:58:32 pm »

The price gap is astonishing.  Similarly on the CFV-50c.  Don't think that can last in the age of the internet. Welcome to the age of the $6,000 50MP MFSLR.

- N.
Logged
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

geezerhood

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 91
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 10:44:59 pm »

I was going to wait for a used 645z to so show up on ebay at around 6k before I bought one. The lowest price I have seen so far is $6999. this changes everything.  :o

A quick search of Japanese selling sites netted these numbers for new gear:

645Z body from Japan - $6300 US
28-45mm DA645 lens - $4088 US
25mm DA645 lens - $3208 US

This web page was interesting. A list of quite a few nifty camera shops in Tokyo:

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/05/the-complete-tokyo-camera-shopping-guide/



« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:58:56 pm by geezerhood »
Logged

ndevlin

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 679
    • Follow me on Twitter
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 03:14:50 pm »


I'm really not sure that a $2,200 (gross) price spread is worth the hassle and uncertainty of ordering from overseas on a purchase of this magnitude.  I think you'll find that with currency exchange, FedEx, procurement fees, etc, the difference rapidly whittles down to $1,500 or less. 


Logged
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »

I was going to wait for a used 645z to so show up on ebay at around 6k before I bought one. The lowest price I have seen so far is $6999. this changes everything.  :o

A quick search of Japanese selling sites netted these numbers for new gear:

645Z body from Japan - $6300 US
28-45mm DA645 lens - $4088 US
25mm DA645 lens - $3208 US

This web page was interesting. A list of quite a few nifty camera shops in Tokyo:

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/05/the-complete-tokyo-camera-shopping-guide/




It's actually $5916 if you go to map camera with a foreign passport.

Because people with foreign passports don't pay the sales tax.

I think the cheapest way to buy this is to go there in person.

Edmund
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

tsjanik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 720
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 09:23:13 am »

I received a quote from White rabbit - $8000USD + shipping, hardly worth the trouble.  There is a Japanese ebay seller at $7500 with free shipping; however, I have to question whether the $1000 saving is worth the potential downsides.  Edmund is correct about MAP, the 645Z is around $6000 with a passport.  If I go to Japan, I'll buy the camera there, otherwise I'll purchase the camera here.
Logged

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 09:32:50 am »

I received a quote from White rabbit - $8000USD + shipping, hardly worth the trouble.  There is a Japanese ebay seller at $7500 with free shipping; however, I have to question whether the $1000 saving is worth the potential downsides.  Edmund is correct about MAP, the 645Z is around $6000 with a passport.  If I go to Japan, I'll buy the camera there, otherwise I'll purchase the camera here.

I'm sure Map would ship, and that white rabbit would assist you with translation by email and phone to help arrange a direct sale.

Edmund
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Dshelly

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 82
    • Darryl Shelly Photography
Logged

tsjanik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 720
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 07:24:12 pm »

Thanks, I saw that.  When you enter a shipping address in the US, you're informed that they cannot ship there   :(
Logged

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Re: Buying a 645Z in Japan?
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 09:20:45 pm »

Bernard lives in Tokyo - I'm sure he'd be delighted to buy and send by courier - or even be the courier :)

Edmund
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up