... There's nothing absurd about new immigrants feeling strong commitment to the country they've chosen.
Your selective quotation changed that feeling of commitment to mean ownership.
Ah, Isaac, you hairsplitopath!
So, I mistook patriotic commitment for ownership? So your quotes were meant just to extol the virtues of new immigrants' patriotism? The warm, fuzzy feeling they have about their new country? The romance behind their visit to the
“Sderot cinema”?
Yes, it is possible to have commitment without a sense of ownership, as in: I am committed to my new country, whatever shape and form it might have after a negotiated settlement. But that is hardly what is going on there. And we could have continued arguing between commitment and ownership indefinitely, had it not been for your beloved context that said:
"They can't imagine any historical or other claims that would justify dividing it."Refusal to divide something does not constitute a claim of ownership? Again, like toddlers: "It's mine and I do not want to share it" or "I found it first, it's mine."