Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 713073 times)

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25146
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1780 on: July 19, 2016, 01:03:06 pm »

Sort of topical, in its way.



Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18209
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1781 on: July 19, 2016, 01:10:11 pm »

Jeanloup over one, David Bailey over the other :) ...

An new Muslim fashion statement? On the other hand, some find feet highly erotic ;)

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25146
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1782 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:33 pm »

An new Muslim fashion statement? On the other hand, some find feet highly erotic ;)


Tell me about it: I have a baseball cap with Footjoy, 1857 writ large across it. Came from a golfing pal. It's by Texace, made in the USA.

Took me a while to discover that it's not that he imagined me a fetishist, but that it's a golf supply company of some kind...  I now wear it without embarrassment.

I really wanted John Deere or IHeartNY (on black base) but there you go - anything keeps the sun off my nose is good. I think they sell those NY ones in the local market, but hey... as if I would!

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1783 on: July 19, 2016, 05:23:10 pm »

There is a bit of a frenzy during the sales at the shoe departments: even quite heavily veiled muslim women still seem able to go wild on their feet. They're probably not permitted to pull their burkhas that tight, otoh...
Logged

Riaan van Wyk

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 812
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1784 on: July 20, 2016, 05:01:12 am »


She's still young, only 20. During the chat I found out that she's been in a romantic situation with another Lyon photog for about 6 months: I'd have thought that would have given her confidence in front of the lens. Then again, by that logic it would have been him shooting her portfolio, not me. Invent the story that you wish :)

Graham, this is what cameras were made for, forget the street and in my case landscape nonsense. A lovely photo, the half open dress ( from what I've learnt from Rob) adds to the mystery and wondering - I could stare for hours Sir.

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1785 on: July 20, 2016, 09:22:52 am »

Thanks for the kind words Riaan. Unfortunately these opportunities don't come along that often, so I'll keep myself in practice doing street stuff :-)

Of course as noted by Rob, the unzipped-back photo is quite recognisably in the style of Jeanloup Sieff, so it's not as though I can claim to be doing anything original... but my approach to "art" is more basic: making things I like looking at, with the possibility that others will also enjoy. So I'm glad you enjoyed :)

Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25146
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1786 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:46 am »

Thanks for the kind words Riaan. Unfortunately these opportunities don't come along that often, so I'll keep myself in practice doing street stuff :-)

Of course as noted by Rob, the unzipped-back photo is quite recognisably in the style of Jeanloup Sieff, so it's not as though I can claim to be doing anything original... but my approach to "art" is more basic: making things I like looking at, with the possibility that others will also enjoy. So I'm glad you enjoyed :)


Graham, nobody is doing anything original; everything was already done in the thirties if not the twenties. The best we can do is make the best of what comes our way. Jeanloup was as derivative as all the rest from the period. Those old giants carry more of us every year!

It's not a matter of copying, which would bore anybody trying to do that, but of absorbing an excellence and seeing what works and what does not. In the end, if not standing there with somebody else's snap or drawing before us, all we can do anyway is to follow our emotional triggers and use 'em as they want to pop. Truth to tell, it's pretty much impossible to copy one's own back catalogue: models are different, locations are never the same twice even if you can find them again, and neither are you, the photographer.

Rob

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1787 on: July 20, 2016, 10:57:49 am »

Rob, I agree 100%... and of course some of the results of people trying to be original above all else... sometimes there is a good reason no one photographed that before  ;D

I think this is the Francesca Woodman shot:
http://www.berk-edu.com/RESEARCH/francescaWoodman/pages/woodman010.html

Maybe that's what I had floating around me head: I know the Bailey image of Marie Helvin wrapped up in the attic, I thought there was also one of here behind a curtain, but maybe not.

Credit to Maeva too: I had the idea of putting her behind the fabric, but it wasn't working: then she thought of pulling it around her body... bingo :)
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25146
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1788 on: July 20, 2016, 12:38:17 pm »

Rob, I agree 100%... and of course some of the results of people trying to be original above all else... sometimes there is a good reason no one photographed that before  ;D

I think this is the Francesca Woodman shot:
http://www.berk-edu.com/RESEARCH/francescaWoodman/pages/woodman010.html

Maybe that's what I had floating around me head: I know the Bailey image of Marie Helvin wrapped up in the attic, I thought there was also one of here behind a curtain, but maybe not.

Credit to Maeva too: I had the idea of putting her behind the fabric, but it wasn't working: then she thought of pulling it around her body... bingo :)


And there the thing that makes a model: imagination. Some girls imagine that being pretty is all it takes - so wrong. And that's one of the reasons that I find model photography (with a good one!) so rewarding: the buzz when something's working out between you can't be described, other than to say there's nothing else like it - not even cups of metaphorical tea.

;-)

Rob

Chairman Bill

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3352
    • flickr page
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1789 on: July 20, 2016, 01:18:11 pm »

This one posed beautifully

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25146
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1790 on: July 20, 2016, 03:53:21 pm »

This one posed beautifully

Anaesthetised!

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1791 on: July 20, 2016, 04:51:05 pm »

Hasn't chewed it to bits yet?
Logged

Chairman Bill

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3352
    • flickr page
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1792 on: July 20, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »

Hasn't chewed it to bits yet?

I don't eat dog

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1793 on: July 20, 2016, 06:09:38 pm »

After printing another image, I realised I'd also done a Bettina Rheims. But better, I think :)
Logged

Patricia Sheley

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1112
Re: Without Prejudice 2/between moments...
« Reply #1794 on: July 20, 2016, 10:33:04 pm »

~
Logged
A common woman~

graeme

  • Guest
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1795 on: July 21, 2016, 02:50:00 am »

Very nice Patricia.
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1796 on: July 21, 2016, 08:52:00 am »

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Richowens

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 977
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1797 on: July 21, 2016, 10:09:32 am »

Ooooohhhhhhhhhh  Patricia!

Very delicious.

Rich
Logged

GrahamBy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1813
    • Some of my photos
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1798 on: July 21, 2016, 10:23:35 am »

Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25146
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1799 on: July 21, 2016, 11:38:07 am »

After printing another image, I realised I'd also done a Bettina Rheims. But better, I think :)


Did you go to Paris and the George V(?) bedrooms?

Taschen has done some very expens¡ve books by/for her, one using the friend/fiancée/wife of some plutocrat; if the blurb was true, what a way to show your 'assets' to the world at large. A whole new meaning to the word trophy: don't just have it hanging onto your arm, put it out there on paper!

What happened to the concept of love? Gee, I must be a Luddite after all!

;-)

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 137   Go Up